No announcement yet.

Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG!! You and I are related on some parallel universe!

Then there was the time the duckling fell asleep in the spice cupboard......
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
      OMG!! You and I are related on some parallel universe!

Then there was the time the duckling fell asleep in the spice cupboard......
      Giggling ....
      Hope that duckling wasn't sleeping near the poultry seasoning !
      Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

• Lol- We always had critters- but not usually that many!

I remember we wanted a fish tank at one point. Rather than getting fancy fish- we stocked it with critters from the pond in our back yard. Let me tell you- tadpoles don't do well with a filter. At some point when we weren't home the table it was on broke and it spilled across the dining room floor. I'm still somewhat convinced that the crayfish is living in the floorboards of that house . . .
        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
          Lol- We always had critters- but not usually that many!

I remember we wanted a fish tank at one point. Rather than getting fancy fish- we stocked it with critters from the pond in our back yard. Let me tell you- tadpoles don't do well with a filter. At some point when we weren't home the table it was on broke and it spilled across the dining room floor. I'm still somewhat convinced that the crayfish is living in the floorboards of that house . . .

ROFLMAO ....
          Little beady eyes looking up from the floorboards !

My Dad and I used to seine in a little sluice across the fence from our property and use crayfish (or as my Daddy called them - crawdads) for bait. I had a date one night not long after I graduated, we went to the park where they were having a three day event - bbq cookoffs, dances, crawfish boils, etc ... and my date decided to buy some of them for us to eat before the dance .... he was not exactly pleased when I told him I didn't eat bait. LOL

Comment

• Workout was great this morning ... did giant sets on calf raises, heavy weights with a 6 second breather in between sets ... left my legs shaking LOL ...followed that with cables, then kettlebell (heavy) swings. Short workout, but definitely a worthy one !
            Hit the pan fried eggs and some leftover steak afterwards, did a half day IF, egg white shake with coconut and having some short ribs in a while with some asparagus.

My son and I did a little fence project earlier, setting up more crawl space for my gourd plants ... I've got gourds on the vine on the other fences and thankfully the bees are still around, so with them and the dark of night trips to the vines with q-tips to pollinate, I should have more putting out soon.

Comment

• Missed posting yesterday ... IF part of the day, added in egg white shake w coconut late afternoon, cooked some ground meat and make a BAS salad with onions, radishes, avocado, olives, romaine and spinach and a hefty amount of the meat. Finished up with another egg white shake.

Today's workout was great ... a lovely sweaty time. Did a few convict squats here, a very short sprint with the dogs before heading to the gym ... goblet squats, good-mornings with the 25lb bar, bench press alternating with hammer curls, wide grip pull downs, and went ahead and did a full round on the leg press with the last set on 430 lbs. I have to miss Monday's workout, Tuesday will be debatable, depending on how I react to the anesthesia with Monday's oral surgery. I HOPE that this one will be the last one, the last one was supposed to have been it ... staying focused that I will not have a reaction to the anesthesia again.

Meals today - scrambled eggs with leftover gr. meat, onions, radishes. Will add in an egg white shake with coconut and egg white protein powder shortly ... tonight will either be a stir fry thing of the meat with veggies or another egg white shake ...

Comment

• Well, yesterday sucked big time. Back muscle is finally getting a little easier, thankfully I still had some of the balm I had made up a few months back ... have to get more supplies for that before winter sets in here. Had an offer at the end of the week for a position in San Francisco ... nice to be considered for it, but no thanks.

IF until about an hour ago, had some baked turkey and an egg white shake. My son is doing a roast beast for dinner, with broccoli and squash ... have to eat early tonight, then doing the IF until late tomorrow. Have no idea if it is going to be difficult to eat or if I will even feel like eating.

Comment

• Dental is OVER WITH ..... long, deep contented sigh of relief. The anesthesiologist aced the IV on the first try today .... woooohoooo ! I was only under for an hour and a half this time, and was able to get up and walk this time on my own. My son stopped at the grocery on our way home and picked up some avocados, ate two of them as soon as we got in. I was starving ... slept most of the afternoon, and plan to hit the hay again here soon. I know it will take me a little while to get all of the anesthesia out of my system, especially since I've had three oral surgeries in the past six weeks .... but it is all done now !

Ended up having baked chicken breast last night instead of the roast beast .... saving the beastie for later this week. Meals today ... obviously it was an IF since eight last night. Broke that with the avocados. I think bacon is in order for tonight, with some eggs of course and grilled onions and fresh arugula. Yeah right ... I'm tired enough I may just stop with the bacon. Tomorrow I will get back on track again with things.

Got my 21 Day ordered and downloaded the goodies ! Thanks Mark ! Son and I talked about the holidays on the way home ...
                  I daresay shopping for me this year will be a lot easier for my Mom and son ... I've got a list of lovely primalesque goodies for them to choose from.
                  Tomorrow I will be working on adding some touches to my son's Creator-daughters costumes for 'Punkin Day' as they call it. The oldest had to be one of the faery's from Tinkerbell, complete with a silver sequined headband covered with 'jewels' ... and of course her cowboy boots. The youngest is a cowboy ... not a cowgirl mind you, but a cowboy. She's all of 3 now, but when I asked her if she wanted to be a cowgirl, she told me that girls really make better cowboys than boys do ! Then she pointed to her Mom (she trains horses) and said my Momma is a cowboy and she rides more better than my Daddy ! 'Nuff said ! LOL

Comment

• I love people that are serious about costumes! I always stand out a bit at costume parties because I'm not in glorified lingerie. I remember one party where I was wearing this gorgeous (real) sari. Apparently they are worn with an underskirt. Between the sari and the broomstick skirt underneath, I'm pretty sure I was wearing as much fabric as the rest of the girls there combined.

I was talking to a cowboy on vacation- and for some reason we were discussing whether it was a "cowboy hat" or a "cowgirl hat" if it was on the head of a girl. I said cowboy. Historically speaking, they were male. There were a few female ones, but they were very rare. He was impressed with how "matter of factly" I said it. Well, isn't it a matter of fact? (and don't kids just peel through the details to see the facts?)

The other day I was listening to one of the songs from Annie Get Your Gun. "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun." I think the song is funny anyway- but then I started thinking- but it worked really well for Orannhawk . . .
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

I love people that are serious about costumes! I always stand out a bit at costume parties because I'm not in glorified lingerie. I remember one party where I was wearing this gorgeous (real) sari. Apparently they are worn with an underskirt. Between the sari and the broomstick skirt underneath, I'm pretty sure I was wearing as much fabric as the rest of the girls there combined.

I was talking to a cowboy on vacation- and for some reason we were discussing whether it was a "cowboy hat" or a "cowgirl hat" if it was on the head of a girl. I said cowboy. Historically speaking, they were male. There were a few female ones, but they were very rare. He was impressed with how "matter of factly" I said it. Well, isn't it a matter of fact? (and don't kids just peel through the details to see the facts?)

The other day I was listening to one of the songs from Annie Get Your Gun. "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun." I think the song is funny anyway- but then I started thinking- but it worked really well for Orannhawk . . .
                      Grins ... I love making costumes ! When my son was small, it was a huge deal here ... LOL, small town ! Schools held contests, there was always a big carnival type thing, again with contests and games, and then we kept his costumes and did a refit for the parade every year in December. I made all of his costumes on a sweat pants/shirt base ... which cut down on time as well as giving me a great platform to use. He was always inventive with what he wanted to be, so that alone made it fun to do. One year he decided he wanted to be prickly pear cactus .... so I used grey sweats that I tinted with dye to give them the right shade of cactus grey ... and I cut out individual cactus pads out of smooth white felt, painted each one then each one was sewn and lightly stuffed with pillow stuffing ... found a sparkly heavy duty thread that I used to tie in as the stickers (like the old fashioned quilts were done, loop the thread in, tie it, trim off, leaving ends about an inch and half or so long). I hand stitched the cactus pads all over the shirt and the pants, overlapping them, so the "cactus" was growing in the right direction ... made little cactus apples with the felt, shaping and sewing them to look like the real ones, painted them, added the stickers and tucked a few in here and there among the pads. The final touch was a great big beige "band-aid" also made from felt ... with the words "OUCH" painted in bright red, centered on it ... this was sewn across the butt (he was, after all sitting on cactus thorns !)
                      It was a huge hit ... and to re-purpose it for the Christmas parade costume contest ... I made little painted/stuffed ornaments out of felt, that were carefully safety pinned to the original costume and added a few jingle bells here and there. On his shoulder was a fat crazy bird that I made from felt also stuffed/painted ... a "partridge" ... and he had a sign that he carried, a play on the words from the song about the days of Christmas - his sign said ... "and a Partridge in a prickly pear ..."

He won in his age group every year, and when he was in college, he cashed in all of the savings bonds from those contests and used it against tuition, books, etc. It was pretty interesting to see what he would come up with each year ... and I can honestly say, no one else was ever the same thing that he was ! LOL
                      Most of the costumes included a hat piece as well ... I used baseball caps as the base for them, then covered them in felt, created what ever was needed for each costume.

Most definitely cowboy hat ... same as with boots !
                      Giggling .... yeah, having guns (and knowing what to do with them) has had some advantages for sure !

Love Sari's !
                      I have some beautiful Chunni's (head scarf/veil) that I wore in California when I would visit the Gurdwara. I have friends who are Sikh and used to go to the Gurdwara fairly often. The women wear loose flowing pants with a matching dress on top, along with the Chunni to cover the hair. Not Sari's, but also beautiful ... so many colors and embroidered designs, etc.

Comment

• That's awesome! Mom likes to sew, so that's where I get the "serious about costumes" from. We used to host a halloween party every year (country living- we were too far out to trick or treat) so there was always the question of "how will this work for the weather?" since the party was outside. One year for boyscout camp my sister's girl scout troop (that I was technically part of) was helping out. The theme was Mideval. So Mom and Dad were the queen and king, my sister and I were wenches, one brother was a jester, and the other was a peasant. Mom found the patterns and sewed them all for us. Most of them are in the dress-up clothes now, but I yoinked Mom's cape. It's red, floor-length, and has great movement. She thinks it's hilarious how much I like this cape- but it's hard to find a good one!

There are so many traditional clothes that I would love to wear- but (I don't know how to say this politely) I think I'm just too white. The only way to look more caucasian would be to be blond. I had a caucasian teacher in school who could and did wear those flowing African outfits- but I don't have her panache. I wish, though. The Indian outfits- the pants and loose tunics- are so beautiful and look so comfortable.

Comment

That's awesome! Mom likes to sew, so that's where I get the "serious about costumes" from. We used to host a halloween party every year (country living- we were too far out to trick or treat) so there was always the question of "how will this work for the weather?" since the party was outside. One year for boyscout camp my sister's girl scout troop (that I was technically part of) was helping out. The theme was Mideval. So Mom and Dad were the queen and king, my sister and I were wenches, one brother was a jester, and the other was a peasant. Mom found the patterns and sewed them all for us. Most of them are in the dress-up clothes now, but I yoinked Mom's cape. It's red, floor-length, and has great movement. She thinks it's hilarious how much I like this cape- but it's hard to find a good one!

There are so many traditional clothes that I would love to wear- but (I don't know how to say this politely) I think I'm just too white. The only way to look more caucasian would be to be blond. I had a caucasian teacher in school who could and did wear those flowing African outfits- but I don't have her panache. I wish, though. The Indian outfits- the pants and loose tunics- are so beautiful and look so comfortable.
                          I love capes too !
                          Look into your ancestral traditions, you may find something there that you would love to wear !
                          I did a medieval / gypsy thing one year ... I wanted it to look like the loose skirt, with the gathered peasant style top ... came out pretty cool, actually used an old flat sheet to make the skirt, then dyed it.

Comment

• LONG day, gone all day with my Mom to her doctor's appointment, then running errands that she needed to take care of. I had no clue that we would be gone so long, ended up grabbing a box of shrooms and a package of non-nitrate turkey when we were in Target and I ate that while I was driving and my Mom was eating her SAD Chick-Fil-A sandwich and fries.
                            I've yet to understand why she loves those things .... sigh ....

Had a good workout this morning before I picked her up ... hack squat, seated calf raises, moved over to deadlifts, then kettlebells - single bell, squat, swing, catch with the other hand and repeat ... moved the weights up on everything. Felt pretty good, but then on the go for the rest of the day really hit me hard. Anesthesia after-effects. Beyond cooking, so I had a leftover chicken breast and a couple of eggs with onions.
                            On to bed now to sleep ! Will be so glad when the anesthesia is out of my fracking system !

Comment

• Ugh. I feel for you with the anesthesia thing. On November 8 I am having a hysterectomy and i am not looking forward to the aftereffects. I do not play helpless female well and how the hell will I be able to keep myself from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds?!
                              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                                Ugh. I feel for you with the anesthesia thing. On November 8 I am having a hysterectomy and i am not looking forward to the aftereffects. I do not play helpless female well and how the hell will I be able to keep myself from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds?!
                                It truly sucks ... I did get back in the gym yesterday, and will be there in the morning too, but my workouts are just not the norm for at least a week. I'm just flat out tired, but when I go to bed, I'm waking up and not sleeping well. Ended up taking two advil last night (which I rarely do) and that knocked me out good.
                                I looked at my training book yesterday to see what I am doing tomorrow and now I can't remember what the blooming thing said. That's a part of it that I hate, the brain fog.

I had a good friend who had a hysterectomy done a few years ago, she did great, but she said she put sticky notes everywhere to remind herself about not picking up anything over 10 lbs. I don't think they let her drive for a week or two either. That alone would make me crazy ! LOL

You will be in my thoughts on the 8th, with lots of good healing energy coming your way !

Comment

Working...
                                X