Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRACK FRACK FRACK !!!

My damn blender - a Breville at that, is fracking leaking out at the bottom in a serious way. Egg whites and water all over the frigging countertop. Can't find the stupid booklet to see how long the warranty is on this thing. The receipt was in the file, where the book should've been ... damn, damn, damn ....
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

• Breville bit the big one and a Ninja has taken it's place. More power... arrrghhhhhh ... I think I hear Tim Allen in the background LOL, and a lot cheaper than the Breville. The Ninja sounds more primal for a blender anyway !

So meals today ... the small amount of the egg white shake that didn't flood the counter top, leftover cauli-"rice" and chicken, fixing a chicken stir-fry thing with broccoli, zucchini, onions and radishes right now.

Good workout this morning, leg press - kept it at 360 today since I was also doing heavy (270 and 360 lbs. ) calf raises on the sled as well as a few sets on the hack, 100 lbs on low seated rows, kettleball swings (between the leg, up and flip to the other hand) - moved on up to the 14 kg today, which was pretty cool.

Comment

• Missed posting yesterday, no excuses, just flat out didn't do it. On track though with movement and meals. Kept it simple with egg white shakes, followed by boiled eggs, avocado and bacon, chicken sauteed in coconut oil w asparagus and another egg white shake with four strawberries. Had a headache all day ... chiro did not hold well this time and I have two cervical vertebrae out ... again.

Did some convict squats while waiting for the water to heat for my tea. Having leftover chicken with the tea, a handful of raw spinach and some sliced radishes drizzled with lemon. Throw in an egg white/coconut shake after that. Cooking up some ground buffalo later, will add in some steamed zucchini and grill some onions, throw it all on chopped romaine. Egg white shake w coconut oil for later.

Time to go scrub some clothes on a big rock down at the river ....... ok, I'm not that primal LOL ... I do like my washing machine, I can see through the lid ! Haahaaaa

Comment

• Awesome sweaty morning at gym today ... Calf raises on the hack, then on the sled for leg press. Sets and reps were my option on the training log today, so I decided that since I was comfortable with high reps at 410 lbs. the other day, it was time to add on some plates today. Did my one 'leggers' at 180, did full sets at 180, 270, 360, 410, and finished out with 20 reps at 430 lbs. Wooooohooooo ! Love that rush of energy.
          Worked on close grip pull downs, progressive weights to finish at 100, then alternating between lat press downs and ez-bar curls at 35 and 45lbs. respectively. Finished out the morning with low squat stance on ropes.

New blender is amazing for the egg white shakes, although it sounds like there is a plane in the kitchen ... that thing is fracking loud !!!
          Meals for today :
          Egg whites, coconut, ice
          BAS with chicken
          Short ribs (if they are done by then) and zucchini, if the ribs are not happy by the time I am ready for them, will throw a chop in the cast iron and save the ribs for tomorrow.
          Finish out the day with more eggs !

Comment

• Forgot to mention that when I was talking with the owner at the gym I mentioned to him something I had re-read over the weekend regarding strength and overall body health and longevity, granted the increase in the immune system overall as a result of eating/living in a primal way. He eats this way as well ... so it has been great to talk to him about nutrition and macro nutrients, etc and how it relates to training. Anyway, as I was talking to him about some of the key points that I had really connected with (in particular, the author's thoughts on the leg press and overall body strength and avoiding diseases), he turned away for a minute to one of his bookcases and pulled out the exact same book that I had been re-reading. The book is The New Evolution Diet by Art De Vany, known by many as the “Grandfather” of Paleo Movement.
            We've had some great talks on primal living as well as discussing the influx of what he calls "fitness entertainment" ... grinning ... basically the SAD version of training, chronic cardio while watching TV and listening to blaring music and getting absolutely no where.

He did tell me today that he is going to incorporate more clubs in progressive weights in my workouts, as a lead-in to the sledge hammers. Now to get him to get a tire or two to flip around outside !
            Last edited by Orannhawk; 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Thank you for sharing that story about your family! That is the way it should be- elder passing knowledge to younger. I mean, in our world, some homoginization is helpful for communication- but teaching should not be foisted off on "teachers" (nothing against them, love the good ones, but they shouldn't be the be-all and end-all) it should be a constant thing.

You're right, though, about not realizing you're not like everyone else. I went for a walk in the woods with a friend and pointed out a couple of things. He was floored with how much I knew- while I was thinking that my knowledge base was really thin. Apparently my baby brother overheard our dad telling someone that he'd rather have us- the kids- as crew on a sail boat that just about anyone else. Not because we're family. Because we're that good. I consider sailing a Sunfish to be second nature- but I know people who have never been on a sailboat. I love that my parents were able- and willing- to teach me these things. Even more so as I realize how few parents do that.
              http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                Thank you for sharing that story about your family! That is the way it should be- elder passing knowledge to younger. I mean, in our world, some homoginization is helpful for communication- but teaching should not be foisted off on "teachers" (nothing against them, love the good ones, but they shouldn't be the be-all and end-all) it should be a constant thing.

You're right, though, about not realizing you're not like everyone else. I went for a walk in the woods with a friend and pointed out a couple of things. He was floored with how much I knew- while I was thinking that my knowledge base was really thin. Apparently my baby brother overheard our dad telling someone that he'd rather have us- the kids- as crew on a sail boat that just about anyone else. Not because we're family. Because we're that good. I consider sailing a Sunfish to be second nature- but I know people who have never been on a sailboat. I love that my parents were able- and willing- to teach me these things. Even more so as I realize how few parents do that.
                It's sad that so many parents and grandparents don't take the time to teach their kids ... I am so thankful that mine did and for the most part, it was always in a way that related to other things in life, so there was always that extra lesson thrown in, even when my sister and I were just thinking "fun". This was also a part of the conversation I had this morning with the owner at the gym when we were talking about all the "fitness entertainment" - from the ultra chic spa-gyms, to fitness magazines, DVD's and miracle gadgets ... as he put it, the biggest part of society doesn't want to take responsibility, much less do the actual work ... and fitness entertainment plays up on that, just put everyone on a treadmill in front of a television (sadly, much like many parents who use the TV as the baby-sitter).

Sailing a Sunfish has to be awesome !

Comment

• As children we absorb so much and don't even realize it. I was raised on/in really old second growth forest and what we took for granted then has come in handy while i am out exploring. I wonder what this current generation is absorbing?? I know that parental involvement is vitally important in a child's learning. It makes me sad that my cousin is leaving her son's education up to the school. Heck, she wouldn't even work on his ABC's with him!

As far as a DIY countertop, what about slab wood? Wood counters are making a comeback in a big way and you are capable enough to make it work. Heck, I could give you a pallet and you'd find a way to build a bed out of it!! Think outside the box where it comes to that counter. Stainless has also made an appearance as countertop.
                  Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                    As children we absorb so much and don't even realize it. I was raised on/in really old second growth forest and what we took for granted then has come in handy while i am out exploring. I wonder what this current generation is absorbing?? I know that parental involvement is vitally important in a child's learning. It makes me sad that my cousin is leaving her son's education up to the school. Heck, she wouldn't even work on his ABC's with him!

As far as a DIY countertop, what about slab wood? Wood counters are making a comeback in a big way and you are capable enough to make it work. Heck, I could give you a pallet and you'd find a way to build a bed out of it!! Think outside the box where it comes to that counter. Stainless has also made an appearance as countertop.
                    I would love to have some mesquite cut that could be used for the counter top ... I think one thing that is holding me back is the fact I am going to have to replace the sink ... a costly thing at this point. It's rusting underneath from the edges inwards and sealants are not doing a lot to deter it. One of my aunts is amazing with plumbing, which would save me some cash, but it's still a ways away from reality right now.
                    LOL, right now I have a pallet re-purposed outside as a work table, setting up on some sawhorses. Looks funny, works great !
                    I'll have to take some pics of my studio to show you ... I rebuilt the inside of my garage for a studio, and although it was originally 'finished out' with sheetrock, the builder (a crappy one at that) didn't tape and float. I didn't want painted walls so I spent a month looking for cheap options, something natural looking with some texture. So, one afternoon near the end of the summer I was in a Walgreens and went down the aisle where they had marked down a lot of summer things ... and I found my floor covering. Heeheeee ... they had beach mats made of thin reeds that were trimmed out with a folded ribbon edge in pastel colors. The markdown was amazing, so I bought all they had, went to two other stores nearby, snagged those too. I sprayed the back sides with an adhesive spray, applied it to the wall, then used unfinished wood strips about 2" wide to cover the nasty pastel ribbons ...and give it a finished look. Picked up several sheets of white paneling at Lowes, had them cut it into 4'x4' squares, and used my nail gun to install a beautiful ceiling over the yucky sheetrock there, lined up perfectly with the beams ... painted more of the wood strips in a bright white, nailed those over the seams. Turned out beautiful.

I know what you mean about the parents leaving it all up to the schools ...
                    When my son was little, I utilized everything I could think of to teach him things ... ie: each weeks spelling list became an improvised game on a scrabble board, and I tried to format things in ways that he connected with, so his interest level stayed high.
                    Growing in the forest must have been awesome ! Redwoods ?

Comment

• Your studio sounds awesome! I was thinking about your decorating with rocks and feathers- it sounds like my mother. I got my rock collecting habit from her. At the moment I'm still stuck in apartments- but I hear you about wanting things that are interesting. So far, my only art is originals done my my little brother. If I get into the local search and rescue, I've already determined that my snow shoes will be "stored" on the wall rather than in a closet. After all- once upon a time the decorations were home-made and/or actual implements. (The fancy wooden snowshoes will have to wait until I have the money to buy them or the time to learn how to make them. Until then . . .)

I am totally filing away the mat idea for future reference . . .
                      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Not redwoods, but seventeen acres of 100 year old Douglas fir, a creek, old stumps with the springboard notches and all the understory that goes along with it including an acre wide patch of trillium. What a fun way to grow up! The bouncy-bouncy tree was the branch of an old vine maple, the castle was a rotten stump, the flying field was a level part of the pasture where we flew kites, the lazy bones tree was where Dad fell asleep, mirror pond was a perfect mirror.................ah, memories!

Look for a sink someone has replaced or someone who throws pottery that you could barter with. You'll figure it out!

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                          Your studio sounds awesome! I was thinking about your decorating with rocks and feathers- it sounds like my mother. I got my rock collecting habit from her. At the moment I'm still stuck in apartments- but I hear you about wanting things that are interesting. So far, my only art is originals done my my little brother. If I get into the local search and rescue, I've already determined that my snow shoes will be "stored" on the wall rather than in a closet. After all- once upon a time the decorations were home-made and/or actual implements. (The fancy wooden snowshoes will have to wait until I have the money to buy them or the time to learn how to make them. Until then . . .)

I am totally filing away the mat idea for future reference . . .
                          Grinning, yeah, there are rocks and feathers everywhere ...
                          I've got a friend in Canada who was making snowshoes last week for her little boy ... I don't have any need for them here, although the thought crossed my mind in NM, especially one winter when I had 26 inches in the yard. My little Boston Terriers would run off the porch and jump out in the snow and just sink. LOL
                          I'll get some pics of the studio done soon and post them up, it did turn out pretty cool.

Comment

Not redwoods, but seventeen acres of 100 year old Douglas fir, a creek, old stumps with the springboard notches and all the understory that goes along with it including an acre wide patch of trillium. What a fun way to grow up! The bouncy-bouncy tree was the branch of an old vine maple, the castle was a rotten stump, the flying field was a level part of the pasture where we flew kites, the lazy bones tree was where Dad fell asleep, mirror pond was a perfect mirror.................ah, memories!

Look for a sink someone has replaced or someone who throws pottery that you could barter with. You'll figure it out!
                            Sounds absolutely wonderful !
                            Yeah, I'm going to talk to my aunt and let her know what I need, she seems to come across things like sinks and other cool things all the time, plus she is great with plumbing.

Comment

• Did I mention catching bullfrogs and garter snakes? I thought my Mom was going to disown me the time I caught a mouse and set it up in a terrarium in the house or hatched out frog eggs in a bucket in the closet...........

Comment

Did I mention catching bullfrogs and garter snakes? I thought my Mom was going to disown me the time I caught a mouse and set it up in a terrarium in the house or hatched out frog eggs in a bucket in the closet...........
                                Oh my lard .... Well I used to go out late nights with my Daddy and we would go frog-gigging. One flashlight, one 22 rifle and one long poled frog gig. Granted it was a constant battle of wills between us, on who was shooting and who was gigging, not to mention who was holding the flashlight. I was not fond of walking at the edge of the stock tanks, stepping into the wallows where the cattle had stepped and not knowing if I was going to step on a water moccasin. BTW ... I am not good with snakes of any kind !!! (Well except for shooting them ! )

I will say I have hatched out a lot of tadpoles, albeit not in my closet ... LOL !

Here's a little rodent story from my childhood ... when I was still in elementary school, we were hunting on a lease in deep south Texas ... we had a camp house that my Dad had built (framed, sides and roof were tin ... the walls and roof were assembled, then he and my uncle and grandfather put it all on a flatbed truck, drove the four hours to the lease and bolted the walls and roof, and added the plywood floor. It was pretty secure, but not impervious to rodents or snakes. So each time we would arrive at the lease, my Dad and Mom or grandfather would open up the camp house. My sister and I had to sit outside on the tail gate of the truck and wait for them to open up the oven door and check inside, beat the crap out of the bunk beds with a bat, and check under the table and anywhere else where a rattlesnake might have curled up. And many times there were a few field mice and/or rats in there ... there were always empty cans sitting outside, and they would slam a can down over any of the mice/rats ... then slide a thin piece of cardboard underneath the can and the 'canned' rodents were set outside in a line.
                                My sister and I would get out .22's and have a little practice ... the object was to shoot the can off the mouse/rat and then shoot the mouse. Yeah, I know it was a little extreme ... but it sure developed quick reflexes and aim !

My Mom wasn't overly thrilled with me every time I walked in the house followed by a calf that I was bottle raising ... or when my duck would come inside. She was ok with the horned toads, and she was great with my raccoon, except when he would hide under the beds and then run out when ever anyone would walk by ... guess that was startling to her ....heeeheeee. I remember her getting more than perturbed one day when she left the dryer door open with a full load of dry warm towels ... went to answer the phone and came back to find my raccoon curled up in the middle of the towels sound asleep !

Comment

Working...
                                X