No announcement yet.

Perennially Yours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday Yoga was cancelled. My first visit to the sr. center on a Tuesday and was bummed when I noticed the parking lot was empty and saw the sign on the door. Oh well, tomorrow is still on.

Took advantage of being out to go grocery shopping. Needed some coconut milk which I just discovered I love; probably too much. Also picked up some wasabi peas well knowing that peas are not on plan. I love them but read the package after eating and discovered there are items (ok, should have read at the store), not to mention that this package is processed food. Still like them and wonder if there are other versions around with no wheat, soy or sugar in them. The grapes are limp and not tasty. Rather hooked on apples at this time although I should stop frying them in butter. Too many dirty pans around when I do that and cook a meal.

For exercise today I need to get my butt outside. I need to vacuum my vehicle again because this will probably be my last chance. Thinking about trying my own control burn for the leaves that decided to fall after I had raked and raked and raked.

Goodness, yesterday 11-25-13, came my first holiday card. I am over sending out my own although perhaps I should reignite that old tradition once again to keep up with people I don't see much any longer and miss.

Need to think of some decorations to take to mom's place at the senior center. She got rid of everything last year much to my chagrin. I think I have her fancy pinecone and nut wreath. Must go looking for that and something to use to hang it with.

Two more weeks until I'm 66 years old. Hard to believe.

Social eating remains an issue for me. How is it that when other people change their eating habits people don't mention anything but decline bread and the questions arise along with all the CW they know by heart. My lowfat, fat free friends poo-poo what I eat and they don't even realize the fat I'm consuming and, believe me, I don't bring that up.

Rambling on to the out-of-doors.
    Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
    CW: 10-11-16: 144
    GW: 130 a dream, I know
    Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Yesterday turned out different than expected. Was going to attend the Tuesday yoga class at the senior center but when I noticed the empty parking lot I knew no yoga. Today I will go again as I'm fairly certain this leader will be there.

A friend's sister also goes and has asked me to go to lunch with her following class. Since I barely know her it will be difficult for me socially to engage in proper discussions. Eating socially again - yikes. Hope I don't have to answer too many questions but mostly hoping that we find a place where I can eat properly. Only starting my 3rd week back on plan and don't want to mess with adding things that are too addictive. I really hope I don't have to answer food questions. I'll try to be mindful when asked.

Yesterday wasn't a total waste though. Walked the yard and picked up most of the tree drippings from the high winds we've experienced lately. That made for another bonfire. I love having bonfires and do as many as I can. My neighbors have been talking because I got a comment from one who said - you can even start a fire in the rain.

I still stop by my favorite free wood place when traveling into AA where I used to work. I believe it is simply chopped up planks but they are handy for starting fires vs. picking up kindling from the yard. The sun just came up and the snow I was looking for yesterday has arrived over the evening. Yeah. Since this is my first winter being retired I am looking forward to many more opportunities for cc skiing. That is such great exercise and gets me outdoors which I require to stay mentally healthy.

Need to get prepared for yoga. Off for another good day and not straying off plan.

Comment

I received a phone call from the senior center and Wednesday's yoga was already cancelled. Bummer.

A friend had wanted to lunch after yoga and she called to keep that option in the schedule. So, went to the Salvation Army, the antique store, Seagulls Nest and the restaurant. Only thing I could order there was a salad that I was not too thrilled with. Oh well, stayed on plan.

Thanksgiving Day with mom at her senior housing. Both my sons were busy with their in-laws this year and I decided early on I was not cooking a huge meal for only two people and then end up with leftovers that I would not eat. Mom was bummed but the meal where she lives was fine. I didn't want to go off plan on Thanksgiving but I did. Ate a small bit of cranberry sauce and a baklava. Additionally after our movie mom wanted to eat again so we went to a place where I had onion soup.

That evening I was totally bushed and I'm sure it was due to what I ate earlier in the day.

I don't feel like I've lost any weight yet which happens to be one of the goals. I need to look closer at what I am eating. Perhaps too much fruit and dairy. I've taken a liking to coconut milk out of the can. Perhaps too much of that too. I do know that most of these last 3 weeks have had a carb intake less than 100. That means I need to go lower in that regard.

I will be 66 on Dec. 7.

Went to breakfast with my hiking group this morning. Didn't eat; only drank de-caf coffee. Any changes with what you do ends up with those questions I hate. So, I said, which is honest, that the food at the restaurant always gives my stomach issues. Mostly acid reflux. I have not had to deal with that since beginning this food plan once again. It actually is the main reason I joined back into the fold and am grateful with that success beyond all hopes.

Comment

WNWWW Night on a Monday

The ladies are arriving around 5:30 this evening. Unfortunately one of us is ill.

We need a meeting to discuss S.S. dates and mainly just to eat, drink and be merry.

We are always merry!

I am in control of the buffet. We will be having Almond Meal coated Chicken fried in coconut oil. I will also serve Sweet Potatoes coated in coconut oil and oven baked.

Others are bringing a salad and various others (probably) non-primal food. That's okay - I won't have to explain myself and I'll have something primal to eat.

Unfortunately, I think I am gaining weight vs. the other. I am eating whole, better food; however, maybe too much fruit, nuts, rice, white potatoes, coconut milk, cheese and half and half. Sad about that.

I have gotten away from journaling my food intake which does not help. A friend showed me an app for the I-phone called LoseIt. It was really cool but not made for a computer. Not that that is an excuse.

I need more activity too. I was thinking all that raking deserved more food. I'll figure it out again. Perhaps I'm gonna do the under 50 carb routine to get my body working at it.

Cheers
          Last edited by perennialpam; 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

So I bragged that I would stay on plan while entertaining because I was fixing the food.

Almond Meal coated chicken fried in coconut oil
            Sweet Potatoes, cut up in fry strips, coated and baked.

However, I failed to mention the dishes others were bringing and I ended up eating.

Sweet Jalapeno Jam over cream cheese w/ crackers
            Shrimp w/ sauce
            Bread

I consumed-3 smaller tequila/club sodas w/lime juice. First alcohol in a few weeks.

Yes, I ate a little of each and ended up with an immediate response. I had to sleep upright due to that acid reflux that was brewing. Thank goodness it didn't erupt. TMI? sorry.

Today I've been very low carb.

Having the get together really put a zip back into my steps. Having a purpose is needed around here while I try to figure out how to fill the social void retirement causes. I've started yoga, signed up for next year's Master Gardener Program and a Controlled Burn Training at the Natural Area Preservation office. I feel good about those choices. Flowing from those classes will be volunteer work in local parks. So I have a plan and, for me, I always need a plan. This is the second thing I've learned in retirement. The first thing? That weekends are not as special as they once were. Working for the weekend, so to speak.

Comment

Failure to Get Motivated

I have decided to wait until after the holidays and all the social events to begin my next foray into primal eating.

3 years back I had a very successful change to primal and, unfortunately, as time wore on began eating wrong once again.

Thankfully, I can still see my eating pattern from that period of my life on the FitDay site and can see how it all worked out by keeping on track. I miss the fun I had while shopping for consignment outfits and the surprise I would feel when realizing I could wear a medium and sometimes a small dependent upon the company.

I so want to be back there but apparently not enough to secure my place at the food table. Being 66 now, I have noticed the change in the "tightness" of my midriff. As I left my program I did not seem to notice this until this summer when I noticed a 2nd tire around my middle. Stuff shifts down which causes wrinkles like at your knees when you used to have legs to die for (whether heavier or not).

I have been fairly depressed since my company was sold and I was retired. Thankfully the financial end is doing well but have been stressed re-organizing my life. Weekends are not as precious as they once were: think: Working for the Weekend. A recent epiphany was that every day cannot be Saturday which to me means not so much drinking coffee and sitting around. I miss the folks I used to work with apparently much more than they miss me. Many remained employed at my previous company or were reassigned to the new company so there is not this social void in their lives.

I have researched and found a couple of interesting items to get my life into its new routine. Yoga, Master Gardener Program and Controlled Burn Training. The gardener program will keep me busy for 4 months in the new year. I am to volunteer 40 hours to actually get the designation of master gardener. Once I am trained in the Controlled Burn I will be able to volunteer at the local parks and help with that which will provide some "volunteer" time.

For those reasons above I am looking forward to the new year.

For the first time I will be able to participate in the local snowflake cutting training that has been put on for years by a local doctor. I always had to work that day and I have my first freedom of the new year to participate. I used to organize (and fold for everyone) snowflake cuttings within the company. Some of my previous coworkers were really into it and enjoyed participating even the company president really got into. Then things changed at the company and the original president moved on and we were confronted with a new president. His secretary was a control freak and didn't want any snowflakes on the windows. Slowly one event after another became history due to her. That was sad as the intermingling of coworkers helps business vs. hurting it. Oh well - one of the reasons the business was sold because they could not get their act together for their 2nd generation device. Sad day.

Guess I've burned the keys long enough. Just felt like journaling to keep my eye on the prize to begin in January.
              Last edited by perennialpam; 12-21-2013, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I'm an older female, retirement age, that was retired this year by the company that was sold. My plan prior to learning of this sale was to work part-time and begin to think about this next chapter in my life. Instead, I was thrust into it and I am not a happy camper.

I entirely miss the social part of work and the routine work provided. I have gained weight in the short time I have been free of working and feel unmotivated about life. I guess this is depression and the people in my life do not understand. The reality of being single has become more obvious to me.

Regardless, I know what I need to do but have failures when dealing with the CW people in my life. They are now my concentrated social group and dismiss my Paleo eating habits which means that often there are not any items to eat when gathering socially. I have to learn to prepare personally each time and feel like I need to make the options I bring available to all in attendance which gets expensive.

I need to get my butt up off the couch and outside which is much easier in the warmer months in Michigan.

I need to solidify my plans for interesting and volunteer activities to keep me engaged in my life.

I need to quit making excuses and give this a go once again.

Comment

Had a nice day with friends yesterday. Played some games and ate loads of food. Unfortunately, not primal at all but I knew that going in.

I made bone broth from my turkey carcass and it is really good. I need to put some up in the freezer as I cannot possibly eat it all until it is gone. Will be good to have some healthy, great, broth to use in future meals.

Going snowshoeing today as put on by Michigan State Parks. Going with the friends from yesterday. Was worried about the availability of snow due to a warm up last week. Woke up to snow showers so will get some extra exercise shoveling. Would prefer to shovel during the dark evening but gotta take care of business during daylight hours sometimes.

Have not begun my foreray into primal living yet. Need to load up the refrigerator with the proper foods. Going to town tomorrow to partake in a snowflake workshop with the creator of intricate, gorgeous, snowflakes. Hope to learn some tips. If anyone reads my journal, google Dr. Snowflake, and you'll get to see some of his work. He is a dr. at the UofM hospital in AA.

Happy New Year.

Comment

Only 2nd Day

Getting started is the hardest part. Did stock up with appropriate food and definitely feel fine. It is that want to eat something getting in the way.

Have been shoveling the last few days at an extra ordinary pace. They say we got 2 feet of snow since it began on Saturday evening. Prior to that, was shoveling 3 to 4 times a day. I do that so I can handle it better. So lots of extra exercise which is a great way to use up those extra calories I've been eating.

Definitely craving "sugar" type foods and have managed to keep it controlled through fruit and nuts. In my heart I know I can kick these cravings but boredom with life keeps leaning in to push me the wrong direction. Let it be said, though, I have done my best to ignore and keep going. The worse thing I ate was the date which is extremely sweet and soothing. Have the makings of goat filled dates topped with sliced pecans. Very yummy and probably not that great carb-wise but at least it is "legal" type food.

I purchased some cool clothing for next summer's folk festivals I attend. Going to look more like a feminine woman vs. one who tent camps in the wild. Of course, these clothes are a tad smaller that I am right now and are proving to be incentives. I shop consignment where I purchased these really cute ones to hope for.

3 years ago I did very well on primal living and managed a 20 lb loss. Once again, that is all I need to tackle which probably sounds so doable to others.

The extra free yoga sessions I have found for seniors are wonderful. I always end up with sore muscles which tells me that I need to stretch all these muscles and will build them over time. While yoga seems so easy (even though difficult poses) you discover that it really is working its' magic on your body. Now I have the option of 3 yoga days fairly close by that will get me up and out of this boring life I lead.

Started a grateful journal after learning my g/friend keeps one. Sounded like a good idea and I got it going on the first of January. There truly are reasons to be grateful daily. Much like stopping to smell the roses, you need to recognize things to be grateful for.

Yesterday and probably today will go to my neighbor who has a 4-wheeler. He helps with the driveway especially after the plow adds heavier stuff at the end. Thank you Loren! He adopted me last year. I mostly like to shovel for the exercise it provides. This load of snow doesn't hold the same wish for exercise. Been since the 70's where Michigan received such loads of snow. So long, in fact, that my grandchildren never experienced until this year. However, my oldest (20 & 21) moved to MS and will not be experiencing this load. They'd be in awe.

Comment

Day 3 - Here's To New Found Success

Been keeping my food intake totals every day and find that I stay under 100. Whether that is enough to lose weight will be seen. However, all the shoveling should help. Today looks simply freezing. We are setting records in Michigan. -17 last night.

Getting out today since I shoveled the drive clean again yesterday and it didn't snow much yesterday. There were snow showers but no buildup like over the weekend. Yeah - relief.

Have an appointment with the hearing aid folks today and am excited to get out of the house and with people. Planning on calling mom and asking if she would want to lunch together. Normally she has some bridge game on Tuesdays but I don't know the hours so I need to call her soon to set it up. She feels left out because of my forced retirement that occurred in July. She used to bug me constantly about retiring since the majority of my friends already had but she failed to realize that it meant I would be in town less and less.

When tempted food-wise yesterday I reached for items I normally would not. I need to make that a new routine - salad, spinach - anything green. Have been having one small potato a day and that helps make the meal better for me right now. I know about the starch issue. May change that consumption in order to get this weight loss rolling.

Never made any resolutions; meant to but feel I must think soundly about them. Doesn't matter. Need some new goals. Soon I will be attending my Master Gardener Classes that take 4 months of my time not to mention the need to study and pass tests. This will get me out of the house which seems to be what makes life better for me and my lack of social interaction since retirement.

Looking forward to the success I feel is on its way! Found my records from 2011 when I began my first foray into primal eating. Even found the few FitDay records kept back then. Need to review them.

Have real life issues to take care of currently that I seem to stall on. Since I have completed my new will and had my financial life reviewed once again, I need to follow through with my other needs/wants. I need to set up a new account with the savings I have and then, the real stall issue, move all my retirement funds into that account. I want everything together making life easier to keep track of.

With all the mail I receive simply keeping track of what is recyclable and what needs burning/shredding takes daily effort. I basically hate junk mail and try my best to get rid of it but it still comes. Have no control over that.

Looks to be a beautiful, below zero, day. The sun is out and the wind has died down.

Comment

Day 3 - Became Amazing List of To Do's - DONE

It was a beautiful day. It was -5 and -35 wind chill.

Arrived at hearing aid appointment - turned out I was a day early. Guess I really, really needed some social interaction!

Stopped at the Dollar Store for paper products.

Switched CD to be automatically redeemed and deposited into my account.

Took mom to lunch. Being 88 and stuck inside must suck. The place she now lives provides social interaction and evening meals. She is now worried because she didn't have her vehicle serviced with antifreeze. Hmmm. She apparently does it annually - I've never consciously done it. She is worried her car will break. If it keeps her inside, not driving, I'm all for it.

Found the Fidelity office and transferred all but TIAA-CREF into a new account. Moved from previous employer where I also used Fidelity. My financial advisor says they have a great internet presence which I knew from my working years. It will be nice to have all pre-tax accounts are in the same place making % needing to withdrawn easier to figure out.

Also grocery shopping was done. Lots of appropriate items purchased.

L - Salad w/chicken
                        D - spinach & butter, one-half sweet potato, slivered, coated with coconut oil and baked at 450D for 15 minutes.
                        sour cherries with 2 tbs of coconut cream.

Yummy and satisfied. Need more protein tomorrow.

Comment

Day 4 - Yoga Day

Wednesdays are yoga days at the township senior center. Unfortunately, they are closed when the local school district is closed. I forgot that. Thankfully, a friend contacted me last night to remind me of that fact and to offer a personal yoga workout at her home.

I had experienced Pat's yoga leading in October when a bunch of us went north for our annual women's weekend. Surprisingly, everyone took part in the yoga session Pat led that day which was very nice.

I like the feeling I get when I have moved or done something good for my body.

Too many carbs yesterday per FitDay. And, am hungry this morning. Should be no surprise due to the high carb intake. I'll add some coconut cream to my coffee which will help.

Forecast calls for 15 degrees today which will feel like a heat wave.

Looking forward to some consignment shopping. Don't need anything but you never know what goodies you will run across that you just cannot do without!

Cheers.

Comment

Day 4, con't.

Yoga was good. Got to check out Pat's house and meet her 3 cats.

Went consignment/antique store adventures. Not much caught my eye with the exception of the new dress I just had to have. I can get into it but it would fall better with a few pounds gone. 80% off at a consignment shop - ended up being $2.80 and I love this dress! Really feminine.

Being retired I'm realizing I need different types of clothing. New dress outfits would be nice. This dress would fit the bill easily but I really mean "new". I'll do go new clothes shopping when I can fit into that dress. That is my incentive.

Got some Secret Santa gifts for next Christmas. Almost finished with those purchases. Still need the last gift which needs to be superb.

Good eating day. Went to Chilis for a Carribean Salad with chicken. Last time around I lost weight even eating that. Dinner was shrimp and sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil.

Bought my snow plow neighbor a thank you gift.

Comment

Day 5 - still doing the deed

Still following the primal plan and temperament is high due to this success. Something I needed. This feeling will inspire me to keep at it. Need to try some different paleo foods again, including kale chips. In the past I had not prepared any chips that sang to me. Not to give up....keep trying new stuff.

When I get hungry I just look for something paleo which always fills the need. It is a surprise to me to handle the cravings this way and have it be successful.

Need to continue taking care of my personal business and finish it up. Good news is that I can transfer my TIAA-CREF account with little issue, simply another step. Forms to fill out so unlike the other agencies who transferred the day I met with my new Fidelity account executive, Stacey. Success breeds further success. I need to quit procrastinating business that seems hard to do.

I hope to have lost some weight by next week but will only know based on the way clothes fit. That is fine. Miss my job because I had access to a scale that was accurate. Really still miss work and a reason to get ready in the morning. That way social activities work because you are already dressed acceptably.

Need to come up with a way to stay active today. Walked in the snow out to the compost pit yesterday. It is only at the most 200 feet but with the 2 feet deep snow - it proved difficult. I walked up there twice since I had too much to carry the first trip. That is how long I've been keeping my garbage. I usually provide the garbage to my son's chickens but there is no way I could walk up that hill now with the load of snow we have on the ground.

Today may be a cc ski day for me. Why not?

Trying to control the spending that comes with retirement. For instance, the utility charges will increase due to being home more. To control that I have left my thermostat at 60 degrees this year. Wearing long underwear and fleece helps make this comfortable - honest. The other control needs to come with driving. I need to compare my previous gasoline use with current. Since it is winter (at least I can blame it on cabin fever) I seem to be driving here and there loads. Exploring nearby areas I never had a chance to explore which is good.

Looking forward to this evening's meal of bbq'd babyback ribs and sauerkraut. Food infusion pending.

Comment

Continuation of Day Above

Took care of the remaining instructions to rollover a former employer's tax free account. Filled out the forms, 7 pages in length. All other financial institutions only needed to do an electronic signature and was done on the spot Tuesday. At least I got the forms faxed at a cost of $22!

Another issue solved was that check I received from the Department of Treasury. Turns out that this is reimbursement for my payment to Medicare now that I've switched over to former husband's social security draw. Feel much better about this decision.

Settled mom's Comcast bill today and was able to explain to her via the telephone. She'll have a hard time understanding Saturday. Hopefully the next bill will be as I told her. This one was a prorated bill because she didn't pay the entire December bill.

Foodwise:
                                Shrimp
                                Banana
                                Almonds
                                Spare Ribs
                                Sauerkraut
                                one-half small potato

Would like to control my thyroid issues, runny nose, achy joints, and sleep longer. The sleep I get is good but not long. Can't seem to sleep past 4:30-5:00 a.m. Wake up by myself and have since the last time I went primal. Have trouble staying awake in the evening though. Dare not lay down on the couch.

Need to schedule my physical.

Comment

Working...
                                X