Super secret ninja journal: Preparing for Tough Mudder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super secret ninja journal: Preparing for Tough Mudder

So, I have another journal floating around, but I'm abandoning it (for shame).

Was doing the primal/paleo thing quite successfully for a year'ish and then life happened, I started drinking and well, it all went to poo'. I also signed up for Tough Mudder in September and am currently in the worst shape I've been in in quite some time. Soooo, it's about time to fix that as September is not that far away, and I can't reliably climb across monkey bars.

Currently, I'm training for sevens rugby (ick) and starting up Brazilian jiu jitsu (ha! so uncoordinated). I'm aiming to start Wendler's again, but with baby weights (single tear).

First baby step goal: not to look like a fat, bastard when I fly down to Arizona to see a childhood friend for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

Eats:
    IF till 11, ated rest of chicken chowder
    roasted chicken breast, carrots, a taste of weird Indian sweet thing
    some beef thats destined for a salad (ick), hot wings of amazingness, and this frozen banana coconut pudding topped with roasted balsamic vinegar strawberries

Play/movin:
    1.5'ish hours of rugby, wherein I became a cranky bitch
    energy wasnt quite as good as previous times, I blame drinking last night

Comment

Eats: Not as good as some days, but not as bad as others
      Chicken wings and cauliflower
      Beef salad goodness
      Aaaand then two nutella swirl chocolate chip cookies (plus some of the dough while making it and the nutella)
      More beef strips
      I also intend on trying the cake batter chocolate bark I'm whipping up, sacrifices, I know.

1'ish hour of jiu jitsu, waaay more intensive than last time.
      I need to work on coordination

Comment

La, new approach: rough counting o' calories, not to see where I can cut, but uh, to make sure I fucking eat. I have no idea how to listen to body cues anymore, it shows by my eating habits. With the level of activity I wish to maintain, definitely need to be consuming more. I draw inspiration from one Mistress Batty, and shall be aiming to up carb-age load, which may be challenging, but I loves me a good challenge.
        The end.
        (also, only went to jiu jitsu once this week, for shame. stupid school).

Comment

Eats thus far:
          B: Scramble consisting of: carrots, bok choy, lamb and eggs. finished it off with some mashed bananas and cinnamon.
          Coffee

Debating on a five mile run, but also have rugby tonight. Should get started on homework, piss /whine.

Comment

L: Chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli, strawberries with vinegar mixed into plain yogurt.
            D: Beef, chard, spring onions, watermelon, aaand vino.

5.3 mile run/ramble with the dahg.
            Roughly 2 hours of rugby practice.

Comment

Week 1 of experiment going well:

Went from 174 to 166, which is not an accurate reflection whatsoever given the former number was definitely bloat and the latter reflects my dehydrated state after drinking last night.

Making an effort to eat enough calories (totally was not previously) while also increasing carbs. Thus far, not too shabby and definitely incorporating a lot of "naughty" foods I had previously cut out.

Also, activity levels were zilch as I've been sleep deprived and trying to wrap up last minute class assignments. Probably for the best.

Comment

Mini-rant: I hate when people use the whole "I went grocery shopping and lugged all the bags home" and count it as exercise. Fuck that, that should be part and parcel of what you should be able to do.

Ass is sore from squats; waiting for the soreness to set in from doing med-ball sit-ups. Debating on a rugby tournie vs no-gi BJJ; I think the latter will win out 'cause I love me some no-gi action.

Eats are fairly under-control considering I'm ramping up for ladytime, so if I don't eat my face off=big success.

Comment

I hope you update more. I've always had a keen interest in the secret lives of ninjas.

;3

I'm jealous! I wish I could afford jiu jitsu classes. I wanted to do kung fu but my parents just laughed in my face.
                  "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                  -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                    I hope you update more. I've always had a keen interest in the secret lives of ninjas.

;3

I'm jealous! I wish I could afford jiu jitsu classes. I wanted to do kung fu but my parents just laughed in my face.
                    Dun be jealous, I'm super spastic and lacking focus and hop around to various things. Jiu jitsu didn't last long, but now I'm riding ponies which is ten times more cooler than wrasslin' around with awkward teen boys going through puberty.

I'm kicking the idea around of journaling again, but it would be so much of the same things over and over. TBD

Comment

I guess that would depend on the awkward teen boys and/or the ponies
                      Either way, RIDE it baby! ;D

You know what? I agree. Which is why I linger on MDA for a while and then have a long hiatus (but there are some other reasons since my MDA journal has become less than anonymous and sometimes gets me paranoid).
                      I still come back out of several reasons, and they always stay the same:

1) Because a lot of the time having a community like this exposes me to other things that could help when I'm struggling (like me2's experimentation and reading of different blogs. Every time something works for her I'm compelled to try it because we both struggle a lot).

2) It also keeps me on track because a little bit like you I tend to be all over the place and get bored and move on to something else.
                      So in real life I just forget about my diet altogether and get into some shit. This way I have accountability...

3) It also created an alternate Primal reality for me (stay with me on this...). I live in a sort of a bubble, so I can easily come here and pretend like the entire world is Primal.
                      Like there's no other choice because everyone I'm exposed to eats this way. Kinda weird, but I do that.
                      There's something empowering about feeling like you're in the same collective boat.
                      Another thing that helps is CONSTANTLY reading Paleo. Primal blogs. Even if I deviate, it really keeps me on tracks.

4) Plus, I tend to miss you guys and wonder what you're up to and if you've reached your goals, in which case I would be happy and celebrate with a giant cake >;D
                      -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Mebbe I revive this, mebbe not.

Yesterday eats:
                        B: Eggs, ground beef, buttah, coffee with cream
                        L: Cauliflower mash, beef chorizo, truffle cheese (homnomnom)
                        S: Chooooocolate
                        D: Chard/Kale, asston of chicken breast, two peaches

The other week, I got abysmally off track, so working on reining in the sugar beast.

Activity:
                        Practicing sumo deadlifts, so much awkward-sauce
                        Shovelglove
                        Brief pilates thing
                        Dog walkin'

Comment

See, that's some philosophical input that must be shared with everyone!
                          You just can keep that stuff to yourself ;D
                          -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                            See, that's some philosophical input that must be shared with everyone!
                            You just can keep that stuff to yourself ;D
                            Truth, all the world must know! ;P

Nommed on today:
                            B: Ground beef, butter, eggs (which led to a very disturbing discovery that we don't talk about) and coffee, no cream
                            L/D: Brisket, chicken breast, watermelon. Chocolate and half of an avocado.
                            Might try to fit in some more food, but I'm feeling lazy and don't want to make anything.

Rest day.
                            And I got a puppy
                            The end.
                            Last edited by unsuperb; 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Another off-food day due to lack of preparedness
                              B: Beef, eggs, buttah, coffee with no cream
                              L: Handful of bluebs and some blackberries while in the field, two pieces of hazelnut salt-water taffy, sample from Trader Joe's
                              D: Chicken breast, beef chorizo, avocado, cheese, broccoli mash, aaand a chocolate stout.

Activities:
                              Walked the dahgs, walked the blueberry fields, and attacked the jungle.

Comment

Working...
                              X