No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (DiabetesCanKissMyButt)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Toots, thanks for stopping by and telling me that. Pretty much sums up my experience with it. Loestrin was the one I just stopped taking actually. Would love it if you could report back on the Mirena. It's on my list o things to talk about when I go in on Dec 7. Have your friends gained any weight with the mirena? I've also heard it makes you bleed for months after insertion.

Comment

Ill def report back to ya. Both had about 2 months of moderate bleeding, but now are good. No, or very light, periods!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Was browsing through this journal and my curiosity was peaked by BC topic. I've recently started wondering if something may be up with my hormones because of some seemingly new, random issues (for example, I seem to have developed seborrhic dermatitis). I've been on the Ortho Evra patch for over 6 years now, and have already gone primal once before (last year, for approx 8 months) without any of these weird side effects.

Anyway, I guess I'm interested in having my hormone levels tested (though I read that BC keep yours hormones stable, so that cannot be the reason for my weird problems). What kind of doctor do you guys think is best for this? I don't currently have a GP, but I guess I should prob get one. And sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, not my intention!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I was on low-dose pills for about 5 years (ortho-tricyclen low), then switched to a generic about a year and a half ago. They didn't have a generic for the low though, so I had to switch to tri-nessa, which is a regular dose pill...lots of crying ensued. Seriously, about 2 days before I start through the first 2 days of my period I might cry for almost no reason at all. And I HATE to cry! That and the periods are heavier. I want to have kids though...so the plan is have 2 in a row, then the hubby gets the snip and we call it done Then I can have normal hormones again (I hope).

And I just finished my second scarf!! It was way better than the first one (don't tell my friend in Pittsburgh though, she'll be sad!). On to scarf #3 for the father-in-law, I've got a whole list of things to knit for Christmas

You are what you eat,
          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Oh and DCKMB it's so cool that your blood sugars are staying so low without the metaformin now, isn't it crazy how almost EVERYTHING you're told about managing diabetes is wrong? Like eating whole grains all day, rather than eliminating them altogether and fasting sometimes?

You are what you eat,
            and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

hannah- yeah it's way cool. If I was still doing what my doctor told me to do, I would still be eating oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, potatoes, and the like. My next appt with her is next Tues and I'm sure I will blow her hair back with my intricate and detailed spreadsheet with all my numbers.

I have also asked DH to get snipped just cuz it's less involved with dudes than for chicks. He is *reluctant* to put it mildly.

Toots- no periods sounds good to me!

Hey Maria- welcome to my journal- you are not hijacking so don't worry ;-) Interesting bit about the seb. dermatitis. I also had some issues with that. I would imagine a gyneacologist could test hormones. Perhaps an endocrinologist.

Comment

DCKMB,

that is quite interesting that you have experienced seb derm, too. I don't know, this have just been weird lately. Like, I also have developed an allergy to almonds. After having a couple, my whole body flushes and becomes covered in hives. Strange, because I've eaten almonds my whole life with no problems. And I def don't think I overate them at any point, since I never ate them every day, just a few times a month.

Anyway, I've just been speculating, trying to figure out what it might be. A friend of mine said her gyno wouldn't test her hormones during an annual exam, but I guess I'll just have to make an appt specifically to have bloodwork done.

Thanks for all of your insight, ladies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is concerned about BC, yet is reluctant to get off it -- it's just too convenient! The patch is supposed to be pretty low dose, but maybe not low enough. I def still experience mood swings -- Hannah, I hear ya, the crying is just ridiculous sometimes!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

DCKMB: I KNOW! My main concern would be a low sex drive, weight gain and moodiness. My BFF has had it since July and no problems with anything listed! But then I say "All people are different so I hope Im lucky too!"

Also, youll have to reeaally pay attn to your docs reaction Tue... I wanna hear all about it!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Well- had my Dr. appt. She was duly impressed with my little log. However, I got my labs back yesterday and my A1c has shot back up to 5.8- high end of normal. My fasting blood sugar this past week has steadily increased back into the 140's and 150's. So I went back on metformin. Needless to say, I am very depressed. Also, since I started this whole thing last June, I have gained 8 pounds. Some of that came on immediately after I quit metformin so I'll attribute some of that gain to that situation but not all of it. Overall, I am very discouraged and at a loss right now.

My other labs are as follows:

Vit. D- 52 (32-100 is normal)

Folate (folic acid) 5.1 (>5.4 is normal)

C-peptide 1.8 (1.1-5 is normal)

GAD Antibody <1 (0-1.5 is normal)

Comment

oh yeah, and my blood pressure was higher than normal 131/70. I&#39;m usually 110/60.

Comment

DCKMB - sorry to hear about the set-back

It&#39;s always hard when that happens. It&#39;s not unusual w/ Metformin so don&#39;t be too hard on yourself.

Set-backs happen...it&#39;s getting over them that counts.

Can you think of anything on the diet side that could be contributing? Carbs creeping up? Excess protein?

Really sorry about the news, but have faith in yourself! I bet you can kick this

Comment

Aww... sorry to hear things didn&#39;t go the way you hoped. Give it time. It&#39;ll get better.

Comment

Wow. Lots of tension around these here parts. My postings here have declined mainly due to extreme work stress but I will say that I have purposefully stayed away from most threads because I don&#39;t want to be sniped at. I&#39;m in the middle of re-evaluating my primal life and don&#39;t want to get blasted for it. I have enough stress to deal with and don&#39;t need it here.

On the eating/exercise front- I am reducing my calories and reducing my fat in an effort to get rid of these extra 8 pounds. Obviously eating unlimited quantities of fat/calories like some people on here is not helping me. I do believe calories matter (for myself-don&#39;t get your panties in a bunch about it). I am going to start running again today. Won&#39;t do as much as I did before so I&#39;m thinking 30 minutes 3 days a week to start off with. I am going to start eating sweet potatoes again. I will be scarce around here until things calm down a bit.

If you can deal with me running and eating sweet potatoes without being all judgemental then feel free to hit me up on facebook (click my user name under my picture to get routed there).

Peace out.

Comment

hey, we&#39;ll miss you around here. I can deal with sweet potatoes and running, as long as you don&#39;t make me do it I&#39;ve hated both since I was young. I ran all through HS competitively, and haven&#39;t run a step since And I never enjoyed sweet potatoes.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

DCKMB, Sorry to hear about your labs. Could it be a result of the stress at work? Will miss your posts. Oh, I&#39;m completely OK with sweet potatoes (they are Primal after all), am planning to make oven-baked SP fries soon. Running, ahem, I&#39;ve never been a fan of it. And do share your sweet potato recipes when you find time. Good luck w/ the new regimen.

Comment

Working...
                                X