No announcement yet.

JKC Takes the Plunge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

119 today. I guess I am not at my new setpoint yet. I am happy being lean, but I am not sure where I will bottom out. BMI wise I am close to the bottom, but from the body fat perspective, I am no where near the bottom healthy limit. I just don't have much bone mass or muscle mass. The natural "string bean". Bad tummy today - I tried broccoli, but it doesn't suit me. I don't think I can handle any of the cabbages. Also woke up headachy - which was yucky - possibly due to a meal with soysauce. As much as everyone says ferments are so good for you, the only one I seem to be able to handle well is yogurt, provided I am well lactaided up.

I need to minimize computer use too. Staring at screens is another headache trigger. Given that - I am off to do nondigital stuff.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

I seem to be evening out at about 120 now, which is fine by me. Much less and I would start to be concerned about losing too much. I still have a bit of extra fat in my triceps giving me bat wings, but they are a lot smaller than they were 20 lbs or so. Full physical perfection is not an option anyways, so no point in getting hung up over it.

Trying some supplemental vitamin E now. I have the symptoms of estrogen dominance, and rather than ask for prescription progesterone, I thought I would supplement E which is the precursor and also is used by the body for a lot of the same functions. I may be able to produce more of my own progesterone and free up some of the stuff that is currently there but used for other stuff. I would really like to see what I can do to reduce the blood volume of my periods. From what I have read, my flow is 3-4 times average - which is a significant iron drain.

Just like too much vitamin C and magnesium give me the runs, so does too much iodine. I can handle about a gram of it, taken with food. That should be enough for my thyroid and should help my breasts from getting too tender.

Other than that, I think I have a supplement regime I am happy with, and a eating schedule I am happy with, which is awesome. It took a while to figure them out, but that's ok.

I am staying away from eggs, due to the lectin/nightshade thing, but I think I will try reintroducing yolks - they are high in choline

Things that work for me:

Eating:
      Drinking tea with cream in the mornings until lunch hunger comes
      Having a meat heavy lunch, but not a big one
      Liver for lunch once a week
      Salmon or sardines 3 times a week
      Leftovers the other days
      Occasional snacks if I feel like it
      Not having tea within an hour of meals, to increase my iron absorption
      Dinner of mostly meat and veg - with a little starchy carb thrown in there - try to get a wide range of veg and always a lot of greens
      Finish off with yogurt and blueberries and strawberries with a square of ultra dark chocolate on top

Supplements:
      Multivitamin
      Iron
      Selenium
      Vit D
      Cal/Mag
      Chromium
      Iodine
      Probiotic
      Glucosamine

Exercise:
      Walking and housework
      LHT a couple of times a week - lower reps but higher weights

Sleep:
      In a dark room and make sure I get lots and a regular schedule
      Pull out the "happy light" when the days get short to get sufficient daylight

Stress:
      When I get stressed I deal with it right away
      Lots of prayer/biblical meditation
      Set realistic goals that do not burn me out
      Recognize taking care of me is a priority too

Its a good thing....
      Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Comment

119 again today - but generally around 120ish and I have been (consults journal) for about 2 1/2 weeks, so I think I am down to where I need to be. It is amazing for me to be at a weight I like and to know how to maintain it! I am continuing to feel stronger (doing more negative pullups and squats and longer planks than before) and my BF % is continuing to go down - around 20% as far as I can tell - I am no expert at the calipers. I am wearing a size 27 jean nicely and fitting M to S tops, so it is a lot smaller than I was before.

Started sprints today. Like how I do the LHT, I am doing my own version, which is not 20 min worth - at this point that would be too much - about 5-10 min is my speed right now.
        Karin

Comment

Hi Karin,
          Stumbled upon your thread just now....I fast fwd a little bit and didn't see how you went from 130's to 120's but that's awesome!
          i went 'primal' or my version of it in May and I love it. The only part that's hard for me is watching my sugar (chocolate in particular) but that has always been my downfall.

I saw that you said that you've been able to maintain your weight...that is my biggest challenge. I fluctuate 2-6lbs which drive me nuts. What helps you maintain?

And what is the recipe for your balsamic vinaigrette? The salad in the beginning of the thread looked awesome! I make a spinach salad with bacon and goat cheese crumbles, 1 tbsp of walnuts and a few cranberries. Then I make a dressing out of sugar free rasp. preserves with balsamic vinegar and water it down to the right consistency...sooo good!

BTW I also have a 5 and 7yr old...plus a 3 yr old!

Elina

Comment

Hi Elina - I am glad you found my journal interesting. I think the thing that has best help me maintain the loss is that I am not dieting and then shifting to a maintenance diet, I am on the maintenance diet, and slowly shifting down to the setpoint that is right for me.

I think one of the reasons that I do not have as much variation in my diet is my inflammation is a lot lower. I used to have pretty much chronic diarrhea, so my water balance and tummy bloating would be up one day and down the next. 2 things helped me. Figuring out what I was eating that was still upsetting my stomach (FODMAPs foods - thankfully, not an issue for everyone) and the other thing that helped with the bloat was making sure I was well nourished.

I think any time your weight goes up and down multiple pounds in a day water has to be involved. We just don't shift that much fat or muscle that quickly. As I got consistently good at daily meeting my needs for all my vitamins and minerals, and getting a good omega 3:6 balance, then the water wasn't an issue anymore, I have a flat tummy for the first time ever - even when PMSing, which is pretty close to a miracle in my books. Perhaps if you log your foods, you might see if your omega 3:6 ratio is off or if you are consistently missing some micronutrient. I have based my supplements around what I am just not able to get on my own through my normal eating.

My balsamic is the easiest thing to make. Half and half balsamic and extra virgin olive oil, and a spoonful of italian spices per bottle - salt and pepper to taste. Your dressing sounds great too - if I had raspberry preserves, I would try it.

Good luck on your primal journal, and be sure to let me know how you are doing! You must have your hands full with 3 kids!

News about me - actually down another pound or 2 - at around 118 today - I don't think I have been that since I was 17 or so (nearly 30 years ago). Tonite I am going out for a big dinner with my husband to a steakhouse for our date night, so I am likely to put that right back on LOL. As long as I don't bump up higher than 120 I am happy.

I am doing negative pullups every day at the park when I get the kids, and can consistently do 2-4 of them, even when I have done them the day before. I need to do my measuring and calipers again this weekend to check my bodyfat %, but it has not gone up, I think. My thighs (which are one of the areas I tend to store) feel slimmer. Thyroid wise, I feel good - if anything a trifle high rather than a trifle low, which is a great sign.

Having both kids at school now and the days to myself is wonderful. I am actually able to get stuff done at home I have wanted to work on, plus I have mental space and "me time" which I have been craving after a summer with kids around 24/7. I have been able to meditate and pray and get my head clear and think about things, which I have needed to do too. At the beginning I was thinking I might just rush out and get a part time job to use up my time, but perhaps I will wait for a bit. Positive things are happening with me staying home so far, and my husband is just going to start a 8 week straight course of 70 hour weeks at work. I will need to be mommy and daddy for a while, and I may need the time at home to myself to help me do a good job of that.
            Karin

Comment

Tried reintroducing nightshades in 3 days ago just to make 100% sure they were the cause of my achiness and OH MY...3 days later I am finally starting feel not achy. So not worth it for a baked potato.

still around 120 with body fat % around 19% or so - % keeps going down, even if weight is the same, which is good. I am wondering what I will end up evening off at - prolly not much less than it is right now.

I am adding a little more carbs back into the mix - keeping my IF all morning, and hopefully a little more carbs will not trigger off migraines provided I have the IF in the morning for a bit of ketosis and extra autophagy.

Reading a cool book on epigenetics now - it was interesting to find one that is a fairly easy read.

I may try reintroducing certain fodmaps foods over the next few weeks to see which I can handle and still maintain a good tummy. Eliminating all is usually just a starting point - I seem to be able to handle some of them, but not in big portions - bits of cabbage, broccoli and garlic seem ok so far, and I want to try a bit more fruit. When I log my calories, I am not eating that much (1200-1300 calories mostly, and that is hardly maintenance), and I can prolly do with upping them slightly. Fruit and starchy carbs seems like a good place to start.
              Karin

Comment

Still maintaining around 120. Body fat % is around the same too although it is so hard to tell if I am measuring correctly. In general, over the months it has gone down. I think I will look at using tape measurements instead - they are, at least, easy to know if I am doing correctly. Waist 25" Hips 35" and Thigh 20". Next week maybe I will try arm too, since that is one place I seem to carry more fat, proportionally.

Having added in vitamin E for period issues seems like a real success. My period was maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the usual volume! This should help me build up iron stores. When I next see the doctor I am going to see about getting an iron panel done again to see how I am.

I also added in digestive enzymes. Given the lack of gallbladder, it seemed like a good idea. They have slowed down the whole digestive process, which again, for me, is not a bad idea. I seem less hungry with them, which is likely a case of actually getting more nourishment from the food. With my tummy slowed down a bit, I should have some more luck with adding in a bit more in the way of FODMAPs. I can do small amounts of cabbage, broccoli and other cruciferous veggies, and I can have a little bit of apples added as an ingredient with a salad or cooked with pork - which is also a nice addition. My new probiotic has inulin and FOS, which are potential issues, but hopefully will be ok. We will see, anyways. I can do garlic. It would be nice to add in real onions again, but I will wait on those, since they are some of the hardest of the group to digest.

I also want to see if I am ok, jointwise, with a little tomatos. I think I miss tomato more than the other nightshades. Potatoes I have a good workaround (yams, sweet potatoes), but I am really not sure what to do to substitute for the sauciness of a cooked tomato. Gravy or cream sauce maybe? Cheese sauce? Just thinking out loud (or on screen, I guess )

Starting to get used to the routine of having the kids in school during the day - I am finding that I have less time on my hands than I had originally anticipated. I can do cooking cleaning and shopping without having to do childcare at the same time, and when the kids and Bob are home, I can concentrate on them instead, and have a little time for myself in the meanwhile. Its lovely to be well-balanced again for about the first time since I had these 2 kids! I still would like to dial in my working out a bit more rigorously than it is right now, but I think I discount the amount of physical work I do too. It is not as if I am sitting down all day in my "job"! Also, although it has slowed down, I am definitely still healing, and I need to take that into account.

Tested TSH and found my need for supplemental hormone has dropped again, so I am down to 35mcg and feeling good on it. I was starting to get issues with wakefulness for a few days, but with my dosage dropped I am sleeping through the night - not even getting up for a pee, which is nice!

Bob has started a 2 month spate of huge overtime - it happens a couple of times a year with us, and although it is great for the money situation, it is something we have to manage our life around! We end up not having enough time together unless we make it a real priority - and then our relationship suffers. Right now, I am getting up in the morning with him (hello 5:00 AM!), and that is helping get enough time. Of course it means by 9 at night I am toasted, but that is ok too. I am actually finding it is good for me too, because I have the morning to wake up slowly and I can still do that and get lots of stuff done by noon.

Its a balancing act - just like the weight maintenance is. Getting used to where to keep your boundaries is the biggest part of the issue.

Bob, although not primal, has been eating far more nutritious food since I started primal, and has lost around 20lbs himself, which is great. He is now more concerned with making sure he is eating well, and neither of us have the "evening snackaholism" that we used to. I think that was my biggest issue. I could eat a day's calories all over again after dinner every night LOL!
                Karin

Comment

Weekly check in time again!

Still 120, so I am doing good on the weight front.

I was starting to get cold and low energy and hungry all the time so I bumped my thyroid back up to 7.5 pills from 7 pills. The point is to live comfortably, not to be in a contest to be on the least possible meds. I felt better, and I realized that I also had slowed my metabolism down too much - I was only eating maybe 1100 to 1200 calories most days, which for maintenance is just not enough. Cold feet, cold nose, not enough energy - just not good.

I was reading through a lot of Ray Peat's stuff (Ray Peat) and he is paleo but has his own slant on it, that given my issues with thyroid and estrogen, seem to make sense. He is a physiologist and sees estrogen and thyroid issues as being connected. He is also very pro dairy and fruit, both of which I have felt have been right for me a lot more than you hear in most paleo circles. As well, he thinks it is important to balance your proteins - getting the stuff in gelatin and milk more than the stuff in pure muscle meat - as the pure muscle meat only can get you too highly estrogenic. It was he who I saw last month talked about vitamin E when you have estrogen dominance and heavy periods - and taking that supplement was huge for me - a big drop in blood volume over the last period.

Consequently, I have made a few diet adjustments - with needing to eat more, it seemed an appropriate time. I am now having more fruit - and even orange juice (high in potassium, which is something I was having a hard time getting enough of). I also tried out goats milk, and I am ok with that (YAY) although it is a little gamey for my taste, which is strange in a cup of tea. Good stuff has been happening lactose intolerance wise, because I can handle goat's milk without any issues, and can also handle a little cows milk in cream and (cow) cheese without intolerance issues. There must be some extra healing happening there.

However, 2 issues I do have to watch are too much fruit - eating half a cantaloupe at one time (yes, in retrospect it looks silly) was too much fructose for my gut to absorb, and gave me the runs. Also, one small cup of coffee, when I have not had much (fruit) sugar, I seem to be able to handle, but lots of coffee on top of lots of fruit is another trigger. The lots of fruit feels good, with the exception of the diarrhea issues it triggers off, so it is a matter of finding the balance between how much I can take. Prolly it is better to have a little at a time. The issues with fodmaps and fructose is that too much fructose at one time floods your intestines and does not have a chance to all get absorbed, so it slips lower into the gut, where it causes problems with the runs.

I have, however, when I didn't fructose OD myself, had days where I had 150g carbs or so, mostly in sugars, and felt great and had no tummy issues whatsoever. I think I need to make sure I keep the milk up for it to work well too - those days without the runs tended to be high milk days. I am going to try organic cows milk to see if I can handle that - goats milk is both expensive and has a weird aftertaste.

I dropped the iodine. My neck measurement was getting bigger by half an inch, which has to be thyroid inflammation. Measurements in general are doing good.

35-25-35, thigh 19" and arm 10.5" - didn't do body fat comp - it is too difficult to get consistent measurements and all 6 calculators give different results. A measuring tape, I KNOW I can use correctly LOL!

Waking up at 5 didn't work long run - I need about 8.5 hours sleep on average, and 7.5 - 8 just wasn't cutting it. Sigh. Oh well, Bob seems to require less, always has, so it works, I guess.

My current job for my health is to get the diarrhea under control under eating more fruit. Generally I think I have it figured out - I just tried to throw coffee back in there too, which messed things up. Sigh - that sucks - I like coffee. I may occasionally have some, if I take some immodium first!

Oh - another good thing. I did bad science a week or 2 ago regarding potatoes. I had A&W fries, baked potato and a sweet dessert the other day and had 3 days of aches and thought it was the potato. This friday I had baked potato and sweet dessert (but not fries) and I was fine achiness wise, so it was not the potato - it was the evil fry oil - chock full of rancid PUFAs. So good news, I can eat potatoes, even if I cannot have A&W fries (which, honestly, I just ate to get my potato content up for the day - they were yucky and I wouldn't really want them again). Yay - nightshades are good - pufas are bad. in general, achiness has been very low, even though I have added back some nightshades, because at the same time I have even more radically reduced PUFAs. I don't think you can ever totally get rid of PUFAs - they are in almost everything, but reducing them even more has been very good for me. This too, is another Ray Peat concept that seems to work for me.

It would be nice to get a road map to help me navigate this some time - I am making progress, even if is it sometimes 3 steps forward 2 steps back. Have a great week, all lurkers and readers!
                  Karin

Comment

Quick look back - new probiotic seems fairly well correllated to worsening tummy issues - I am going to try and drop it to see if it gives me more "room" for other things like coffee and fruit - it is easy enough to find a probiotic without that stuff - shows me that I need to read the label before buying!
                    Karin

Comment

Still off the probiotic, but it was being especially careful with cows milk - mostly avoiding it and being very well lactaided up that has fixed the tummy issues.

I was even able to reintroduce a multivitamin that has inulin in it which was a big problem before. The probiotic may be ok now - I really still have a huge problem with cows milk lactose. So strange - I can drink a pint of goats milk a day with no issues at all. Oh well, it is what it is, and now I know. I have had 4 days in a row without digestive disturbances, which may not seem like lots to some people, but it is pretty huge for me. I can usually have a couple of good days then one bad. I think that my healing should really ramp up if I can keep the tummy happy.

Still not having coffee, but having decent amounts of fruit and doing well on it - this Ray Peat style seems to be suiting me well, once my tummy is happy.

Weight still steady at 120 even though my calories have gone up and I am eating lots more sugars. The 2 days I checked macros I was right around 150g in carbs, nearly entirely sugars. Calories were still only between 1500-1800, so it is a good maintenance for me. I think I am still gaining muscle and losing fat, because my measurements keep changing positively. I have even noticed that I am losing my bat wings a little bit, which is awesome - I never really thought they would be gone. Arm fat is definitely lessening.

Measurements: 35-24.5-34.5. so down half an inch for both hips and waist from a week ago. Thigh still 19 and arm still 10.5. Perhaps my skin is tightening up, and the appearance of bat wings is less. I used my calipers again, and although I don't keep track of the caliper measurements from week to week, it seemed that the bicep and tricep skinfolds were less than I remember before.

Bodyfat comp according to the 6 calculators are 19.92, 18.28, 18.04, 28.80, 27.51, 17.25. I think the 4th and 5th measurements are whack. They are always about 10% higher than the other 4 measurements.

So even though my exercise is beyond minimal - mostly just life - I am getting more muscle and less fat. It shows how much of this is diet related rather than sweating your butt off at the gym.

Thyroid seems level at 35 mcg - need to test again in a week or 2 to see what the lab results say - maybe I can drop it again - that would be awesome. I think I will be happy dropping doses until I get a TSH around 1-2.5 - I have usually felt really good at that level. I haven't had a TSH that high (thyroid that low) since late 2010. It would be good to get fully sorted thyroid wise. I wonder what else would fall into place when my levels finally level off.
                      Karin

Comment

Weekly check in.
                        Still hovering around 120 lbs.
                        Measurements 34-24.25-34.5 - I don't think I really lost an inch in my boobs from last week - just not wearing a bra this measurement
                        thigh 18.875
                        arm 10.5

slight downward progress - all in all, doing well.
                        Last couple of weeks I have been having one dessert a week. I seem to be able to handle it - I don't get bingy from it, and my weight is still steady, so why not.

I realized this week, that I need to concentrate on stress reduction. I have a rather horrendous situation going on with my oldest boy (22) and although it has been this way for a while (3 years), it has only been recently that I have been physically well enough to even start processing through my feelings on the situation. Because of some of the choices he is making in his life right now, my contact with him is really minimal, and I can't get any closer while he is acting the way he is. I miss him, and I am really hurting from these choices he is making. I have to work on processing the loss I am having right now, and getting through it to a point that I can be able to accept the situation without still having all this horrendous pain over it. One of the reasons I have less energy now than I would like to is that I have a lot of emotional resources tied up in this. I am emotionally brittle now - things that normally wouldn't cause a big reaction do cause a BIG reaction, and I don't like the effect that is having on my other relationships. My husband is wonderful and understanding and one of the few people I can actually talk to about this.

I lost my brother 10 years ago - he was the victim of a violent crime. The process of grieving him was hard, and in some ways is very similar to what I am going through right now, even though my son is not dead. This next year, I will devote to getting through this.

Any praying lurkers out there, I would appreciate whatever prayers you could give me - just whatever God puts in your heart.
                        Karin

Comment

Checking in again. Still 120. Should change my profile pic - it is around 10 lbs ago. Not spending so much time on the computer - which is a healthy sign for me. Lots of computer time usually means I am feeling low energy and not up to much.

Measurements:
                          34-24.5-34.5 - waist up .25 from last week - I am looking a little puffy and feeling gassy - I think I forgot a lactaid yesterday with some dairy. Or maybe it is waist weight.
                          Thigh 18.5 - down .375 (progress!)
                          Arm 10.25 - down .25 (more progress!)

very active yesterday - got lots done and it feels great to be active. I am not by nature a lazy person so it is good to be able to have a full day and enjoy the accomplishment of getting a lot done.

still eating ray peat style, but thought I'd try doing it in the context of 3 meals a day - leptin reset style. I tend to need energy in the morning, and a big breakfast should help with that. I just need to make sure I don't bump my calories up when I change - maybe I should keep an eye on them for a couple of days just to see.

Stomach is great - I think I have finally dialed it to what ti takes to have a good belly (plus enough healing has happened) Only 2 bouts of diarrhea in the last 3-4 weeks, which is amazing for me. Another reason to feel good - physically and emotionally!

Emotionally and spiritually I am feeling more at peace too. Meditating upon some of the proverbs these days - Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding - don't be wise in your own eyes. Be teachable and humble. Don't think you can figure everything out.

Thyroid felt high despite normal tsh (1.28) took it down from 7 pills a day to 5 or 6 a day, and that is helping energy level and mood tremendously too.

Little by little, things continue to get better.
                          Karin

Comment

weight 120 again
                            measurements 34-24.5-34.5
                            thigh 19
                            arm 10.5
                            a little higher than the last 2 weeks, but not a whole lot of noticeable change, clothes-wise, and I may start taking measurements less often

Lowering thyroid actually a bad idea - I am back up again - hopefully this is a better idea - my best energy so far was around 7.5 pills a day, a few months ago - so back I go to there - my tsh was .4 when I was there last time - I am happy to stay there if I can - I haven't been exercising as much the last month or so - haven't had the juice for it which is frustrating - getting pretty close to a full pull-up too. Higher TSH makes it harder to avoid diarrhea too - so that is something I have to watch out for - seems like starches are bad for the tummy although sugars are ok for it - unless I go hog wild on them. Tried a couple of days of leptin reset and I felt awful on it - I got headachy - it just didn't suit me, even with quite a big breakfast. I can still have a bigger breakfast if that is what I need without being as rigid as the leptin reset wants you to be.

I'm not sure leptin reset is the be all and end all anyways - if it is, I am in trouble lol.

Big changes have happened with my son that I was hurting about - he is making some really positive moves in his life - so thank you anyone who prayed - God is definitely moving in this situation.

Gtg now - big computer time is hard on my neck and shoulders so I have to stay away from it.
                            Karin

Comment

Hi Karin, Great journal, I noticed there hasn't been a post on here for some time from you and I hope you are still around and Primal. I just wanted to check in with you as I think you are living in Fort McMurray. I have been there for 6 years now and been primal for 3 years. Just wondered if you were living here, if we could share some primal local resources (ie. where to get primal foods that are hard to get) just respond to this post to let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X