No announcement yet.

JKC Takes the Plunge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night we had newfie cooked dinner, which is naturally very primal: Roast turkey, boiled salt beef, cabbage, turnip, parsnip, potato, and carrot. And we had friends over, which was good relaxing social contact. I think I need more of this!

Breakfast: Roast turkey, sweet potato, spinach.
    Lunch: Burger, salad, french fries (first time for these in a couple of months)

So stuffed and it is 3:30 - we had a late lunch - I may just have a snack for supper.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Had turkey and some cooked dinner veggies for dinner.
      Then I had a donut - first real cheat since starting. It was actually sort of boring, and made me burp tons. The best part of it was it was covered in coconut LOL.

I have learned that I haven't really missed anything - if a donut is just ho hum, bread and all those other baked goods won't do anything for me either.

I still feel like I have a bit of a rock in my tummy this morning.
      Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Comment

Weight: 132
        Big mug of bone broth around 9
        I wasn't very hungry then so I had a can of salmon around noon
        Dinner will be left over newfie dinner stuff

Started packing for vacation, and looked thru clothes I had. I had a bunch of castoffs from someone, and there were some size 6s in there. I tried on a pair and they fit, which amazed me, but felt good. Unfortunately, they were petites and I am 5'7", but they made darn good cutoffs:

Untitled by JKarinC, on Flickr

I was actually able to do up a pair of 4s, but they were so ridiculously tight they made me look fatter. I still thought I was a 9, but maybe not so much in everything after all.

My daughter was sick, so no going out to tan or work out, but I got some PB moves in here and there at home, so it is all good. I still have a hard time getting as much walking in as I would like to, but I would think that housework may sorta count as low level cardio - at least for someone as desperately out of shape as me.

No long run damage from the donut, which is great. Getting rid of dairy has been awesome for me, however. I must be super lactose intolerant - even with a lactaid pill I get the runs. I guess I should let my body have a while to get sorted out from that. Up until a week ago, I was usually having the runs. It may not be dangerous or injurious to your guy, but it doesn't help with nutrient absorption.

More energy today. I didn't kill myself trying to take advantage of it, I just paced myself and worked on getting stuff done. Hopefully tomorrow will be more of the same. I have wondered about further supplementation, but until I know how my body is acting when I am actually properly absorbing what I am taking in, it doesn't make sense to up anything.
        Karin

Comment

Dinner - turkey, raw spinach and some newfie dinner leftovers.

Dropped thyroid down to 40 again. Seems now that it is a good level. So hard to tell with thyroid sometimes.

Saw a good article on how junk food can reset the body weight setpoint upwards. People eating a bland liquid diet maintained weight if lean, and dropped weight hugely if they were obese:
          Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part II
          Shows you how much the setpoint can be messed up just from the food environment you create for yourself, and it explains some of the reason people get on this WOE and their hunger drops dramatically.

About 10 years ago I spent 5 year gluten free and casein free. I just clued into the fact that the weight I am at now is the weight I ended up at when I settled into eating that way. I was still eating processed, but taking out the gluten and casein, and this was where I leveled out. Interesting.
          Karin

Comment

you look good! not desperately out of shape, but i suppose you mean stamina/endurance/energy?

I've been meaning to read that blog post on Whole Health Source for a while. It's interesting because the food on Primal/Paleo is pretty tasty, but in a very natural way.

Comment

Thanks! I am fairly happy with how I look. I have a few things I'd like to tweak, but doesn't everyone? But my big issue for the last number of years is stamina and energy. I tire pretty easily and it is frustrating because it really gets in the way of what I'd like to be able to accomplish. I haven't been able to work outside the home for a few years successfully because whenever I try, it gets to be overwhelming and I get stressed out and sick usually within months. I'd like to get to the point where I can work. Thank God that we can afford me staying at home with the kids now.

I think the junk food definitely has a higher set point - like how crack cocaine can just hit the brain's pleasure centres, I think junk food does it, just to a lesser extent. Mind you, if you had too much "junky" paleo - lots of primal baking or coconut creme "fudge", I would think that might work the same way.

130 again today. Taking 40 mg of cytomel seems to be settling into feeling like the right amount. I really want to get a handle on that before vacation. I do not want to drag myself through vacation due to messed up thyroid levels. That would suck.

I have also re-looked at the exercise. I can do 30 min of gentle cardio most days, on top of normal housework and kidwalking. Doing the strength work needs a tweak though. If I feel up to pushing a little, I will, otherwise, I will do the 5 primal movements at home a couple of times a day without much push at all, which means prolly half the reps I was doing when pushing. I don't come out of that feeling sick, and I could prolly do that almost every day because it is very light. It seems like the right thing for me, and I don't in any way think it is over training because it is done at such a low level. I have to work it up like the little engine that could - just a little bit at a time.

Must wash my hair today. It has been 10-11 days, but it is getting grotty - sorta like unwashed old man hair, and I can't hack that. This no shampoo thing is ok, but only if it works. We will call it infrequent shampoo instead. Got a little glutened from last night's leftovers. I knew I would. It doesn't really make me ill, just a little achy in the joints, I think. However, that is another good reason to watch out for it.

No breakfast yet. Considering going out to a bible study - if I do I will eat before I go even if I am not hungry, because I will get hungry by the time I am there and it is in a basement and I will freeze then, and I hate freezing. I need to figure a way to eat in the mornings that I get out and do something. Maybe need to look into making jerky or something when I get back from vacay.
              Karin

Comment

Ditched bible study today - didn't feel awake and energetic enough at the time.
                Breakfast - bacon and eggs
                Coffee out with a friend
                Dinner - steak, shrimp, baked potato with butter, green salad.

Husband found out today he got a raise! Yay! We finally make enough money to live without needing overtime to make it possible!
                Karin

Comment

Hungry early today, had 2 eggs, half a can of salmon and left over salad. Need to start getting more packing and other stuff done to get ready to go. Starting to incorporate a little PBF essentials in my regular day - doing wall pushups and presses as I get dressed. Pullups are a little more setup - but not too bad, really. I will get more done if I do it a little at a time during the day.

Yay! Thank you God, my thyroid levels are finally feeling good and I am having consistent energy and not feeling ill. This last month or so has not been fun. It is like being an under inflated balloon when most everyone else is a fully inflated one!

Still a little hungry - gonna go have a half a baked potato.
                  Karin

Comment

Tanned for 20 min today - lotsa vitamin D!

Found an article about drinking too much water - it is a couple of years old, but it is interesting, anyways:
                    Drinking too much water called latest threat to health

I used to be a huge water guzzler and actually feel better when I don't have as much as I used to.

Sigh - period is probably going to start the day I have to fly across the country. I have to take iron since I am such a major gusher, so that will be a bit of a challenge. Time to stock up on the most super/ultra/whatever products they have out there.
                    Karin

Comment

2 carrots for predinner snack
                      Dinner:
                      2 slices of liver
                      Ground pork with broccoli and spinach
                      Acorn squash
                      Frozen berries

Found another interesting article about snacking - it says it can make you lose muscle mass: Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG I sent the link to my physiologist mom to see if the science on it is accurate.

Of course, rather than finding interesting articles, if I was up and moving around, I might do better with weight loss and muscle building

One square of chocolate while I still have dinner in my belly and that will be it for the night.

Did lots of little reps of PBF essentials today and some walking. The little reps seem to work for me.
                      Karin

Comment

Originally posted by JKC View Post
                        I think the junk food definitely has a higher set point - like how crack cocaine can just hit the brain's pleasure centres, I think junk food does it, just to a lesser extent. Mind you, if you had too much "junky" paleo - lots of primal baking or coconut creme "fudge", I would think that might work the same way.
                        Definitely. I can easily eat lots of anything with chocolate in it, even if I'm stuffed, but it's tough to do the same with eggs and steak, even if they are delicious.

I have noticed that some days I am just really really thirsty, so I will drink lots of cold water then. But I've made a conscious effort to not drink too much water with or immediately before and after meals, and I've noticed that my digestion seems to be better.

Comment

Yeah - too much water seems to flush me out too much.

Weight: 129 (doing the 120's dance)

Read another interesting article (really need to get off my bum and do other things!) NINO diet Weight loss, gallstones and the obesity crisis this guy thinks that part of why we keep on eating is we haven't got all the nutrients we need. I think it is not everything (blood sugar is part of the issue too, and leptin) but I know there are times where I stopped eating after I found the right thing to eat. If you eat really junky food you would continue to eat for nutrients, because you aren't getting any. It is amazing how many obese people are vitamin deficient.

Last night right before bed felt like I needed something and had a small handful of almonds.

Brekkie:
                          An egg, half a can of salmon, wilted spinach and a couple of strips of bacon

Will keep on with the PBF essentials. Thyroid definitely does feel like it is getting settled - yay! I was hoping I wouldn't be low thyroid during vacation. It wouldn't be so much fun then. I am sure that must have been part of the lack of weight loss in the last month or so. Whenever my thyroid is whacked in either direction it seems I can't lose weight, but I can gain it easily. Most people lose weight on hyper, but my appetite usually ramps up and overcompensates!

Dyed my hair yesterday with a boxed mix I had sitting at home for a while - I just got sick of the gray. I don't mind the fact that I have gray, it is the color it turns that I don't like. The thing about gray is that for most people it makes you look washed out. This is a semipermanent, and I think next time I get my hair cut I will get the stylish to do a semipermanent on me.

Voila:

Untitled by JKarinC, on Flickr

It turned out a bit darker than I was looking for, but no one else but me seems to notice the difference. I will be having lunch with my mom later today, I am sure she will see it, but even my husband wasn't sure what it was - he thought I had done my hair differently.

I'll have to see if I actually do lunch at lunch - maybe a cup of tea, but if I have lunch, I don't think I want anything too big - maybe a salad with chicken or something.
                          Karin

Comment

Ended up having a cup of green tea and going to the mall and buying a nice top for myself. Good reward - no food involved

Dinner last night was roast chicken, salad, frozen berries and a couple of pieces of 90% choc.

I feel better with just eating things with the 2 meals. A year or so ago, when I was more in the middle of my tummy issues, my internist suggested eating only 3 times a day (not drinking outside of meals either, which I don't follow). Because bile was back washing into my stomach, giving me gastritis, eating less often signaled the bile less, and causes less problems. IDK if this is actually occurring, but it does feel good to only eat a few times. Also nice to hear from a real doctor that deals specifically with digestive issues that you don't have to eat all the time.

Weight: 129 again this morning.

There are forest fires reasonably close to here (not so close as to burn us down) so it is very smoky. I woke up with a stuffy nose and headache from it - yuck. Filled myself up with OTC decongestant and tylenol and hopefully that will kick in soon. I am glad we are getting out of town tomorrow - I wouldn't want to face a week like this.

Today is for packing and getting ready to go. Once I feel like my head is out of a fishbowl I will get up and start doing that.
                            Karin

Comment

Edo stirfry for breakfast - they have a salmon and shrimp on stirfried veggies. Prolly the wrong kinds of oils and they added a couple of tablespoons of some sort of sauce while cooking it, but I stopped them from drenching it afterwards - it was pretty clean. Also had a bit of the hamburger patty my little girl didn't finish - my biggest complaint about the brekkie is it wasn't enough meat for me.

GTG pack and stuff - back later
                              Karin

Comment

Yuck - stirfry was bad, or at least my tummy was. Cramps and the runs, no fun at all.

Rested and had a cup of broth and a beef patty, and I was ok afterward.

Dinner was steak, sauerkraut (bottled variety but made properly with salt and not vinegar) and salad, berries and chocolate for dessert

I think we are mostly ready to takeoff tomorrow. Likely I won't post quite as much the next 2 weeks, but ya never know - you never go anywhere these days without internet.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X