Primal Journal (Francesca's Belly)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal (Francesca's Belly)

So I've been fannying about with this Primal lark for over a year now. My first 30-day Challenge yielded some results but since then I've not really committed, despite spouting the wonders of Primal at anyone within earshot, and thus become a bit of a fatty. This sucks. Big time. Plus I'm ill again. I've lost count of the number of times I've been ill in the last year which has not be conducive to an acedmic mindset. I'm tired of being ill, I'm tired of being a bit of a fatty, and I'm tired of being tired all the bloody time.

I need to do something about this, and so here I'll write stuff down. Exercise trials, food intake, general ups and downs. Having this process somewhere where others can see it might actually encourage me to keep going. I want to improve my health and lifestyle.

Here we go...
    "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Good luck Francesca. Keep reporting in and we'll keep you on your toes
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Thanks for the support Belinda lets see how we go!
      "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Numbers

Here are some numbers:

neck - 12.7"
        arm - 12.0"
        waist - 31.0"
        navel - 34.0"
        hip - 37.8"
        thigh - 22.5"
        waist-to-hip ratio - 0.82
        body fat - 28.62%

At first glance it might not seem too bad to others but a 34" belly is over the danger threshold for illness and disease, and just a few months ago my waist was 26", w-t-h 0.70 and body fat 18.35%. A 10% increase in approximate body fat in so little time is not right or good for me.

I'd like to get my body fat down below the 20% mark. I know I'm by no means huge and I know the calculation isn't an especially accurate one, but it is something I can mark my progress against and the measurements will allow me to track any changes in my body shape.

Above the body stuff though I'd like to be healthy and this is much harder to quanitfy. I wish to be ill less often, sleep better, have more energy, be faster and stronger, have clearer skin etc. This is another reason for me writing this down, as these are mainly subjective things I'll be able to look back over what I thought along the way. Today for example I have had very little energy and have found it hard to concentrate for just a few minutes. I feel quite low and frustrated (also nervous about exams).

Tasks for today: vitamins, water intake, sleep pattern, (revise!)
        "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Welcome!

You can do this! Needs patience, that's all.

I went from 30 " to 26" waist (and still shrinking!) and 40" to 35.5" hips in 4 months.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks Dragonfly, that's what I like to hear! Need to work on this patience thing...
            "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

I've just been to vote and am feeling pretty positive about democracy and the like but am starting to crash a little now, despite only getting up around 10. I know I've got loads to do so can't really afford to rest much. I'm going to drink plenty of water and go make myself an awesome salad for lunch and see how I go. I am still recovering from illness so if I need to I will take a short rest this afternoon as I need to be awake for my exam tomorrow.

I got my vitamins and water in yesterday but my sleep was all over the place. I think I was still awake after 2 this morning. It could be a little due to stress so I'm going to try and not worry about it and get a good few hours in tonight. Weirdly on different days I've been wide awake at 4 in the morning (after some sleep) or still awake at 2 or struggling to get up at 10... Odd. Frustrating. I reckon a lot of it is due to illness so if it's not better in a week or so then I can start worrying, for now I'll just do my best to keep to a normal routine.
              "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

If you're doing very low carb, maybe have half a sweet potato.
                Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                CW: 146.8 lbs
                GW 140 lbs
                A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Interestingly I hadn't thought about my energy levels dropping due to low carbs. I'll see how I feel tomorrow but I might have to put off that part of my transition until after exam season. Also have mega headache despite drinking a lot of water. Weirdly feeling awake-ish now but kno I need to start winding down so I can get a good sleep tonight.
                  "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Trying to be fairly low carb at ~100g max but not being overly strict due to crappy energy levels and exams and that. A one hour exam really took it out of me today and I spent most of the rest of the day sleeping. A lot of water on board though which is a good thing and no eating crap which is also positive. Not feeling physically great at all.
                    "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Already falling down with the regularity of posts. Bad.

So I've been sticking to the 100 gram carb limit as far as I'm aware, I'll randomly sample a few days on FitDay to keep an eye on this every now and then. Also started doing a little bit of exercise yesterday with a full set of body stretches followed by a 20 minute-ish circuit of body weight exercises. I know I'm still not full strength as after my shower I crashed and had to have a nap for an hour or so. But better than nothing. This morning I had an exam which wiped me out so today I did the stretches followed by a couple of flexibility exercises, but this was very minimal partly because of being so tired and partly due to my knees giving me some pain. A lot of pain I will push through and 'man-up' as it were, but not when it concerns my knees, I've learned my lesson there.

Finding food a bit boring, I was hungry this evening but really didn't fancy what I had out for dinner and didn't really have any alternatives. I'm not sure of any good snack foods or sweet things which I miss, but even meals are proving challenging. I can make something nice but it becomes repetitive when I only have a couple of ideas. Yesterday however I made some really really yummy sweet potato wedges that went all sticky and yum in the oven. Will do those again. Maybe tomorrow until then...
                      "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me. I had a lazy morning and had no real appetite combined with no energy. Literally walking up the stairs in the library was an effort. When I got home in the evening I was fairly hungry and had a small portion of pasta. I know pasta is bad but it's difficult when youre a student and an 18p bag of pasta will feed you for nearly a week. With my situation at the moment I haven't eliminated all grains, mainly in the form of pasta (all the yummy bread and pastries have gone), due to the money thing. Apart from pasta occasionally for dinner though there aren't a lot of grains in my diet, if any. I'm still keeping my amount of carbs per day below 100g. In the next couple of months I'll be moving back in with my partner who is also Primal, more so than me, and meals will be different i.e. no pasta for tea!

Today I've not done any exercise, I've not really felt the urge to move. It's not been a great day really. Food wise I had sausages, sweet potato and some gravy for dinner which was awesome, I've not eaten much else apart from a handful of nuts due to little appetite. Walking to the shop earlier my knees were hurting and it worried me a bit, and energy levels were once again low. I'm going to try and start tomorrow off well, lots of water, breakfast etc, so that I can do some exercise and get some more revision done than I did today. If I'm not doing any exercise then I'm never going to get fit!
                        "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Just did a cheeky waist check and found I'm now at 30" and my navel is about 33.5" (or a bit less). Now I know it's a different time of the month and so on which makes things slightly different for the female side of the population, but an inch in a week is encouraging and has given me a little boost considering I hadn't noticed a difference. Grok on!
                          "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Exercise today was a body weight circuit after stretching out. Everything was ok except I still feel fairly weak - 5 push-ups was an ask! But I did what I wanted to do there. I also wanted to go for a little jog but after squating low for a few seconds I had some pain in my knee and thought better of it. Tomorrow I reckon I'll go for a walk and try a bit of a jog to see how I feel. I have no choice really on Tuesday about running due to a fitness test so I need to give it a go.

Food wise I wasn't hungry this morning, or at lunchtime, but I had some pasta, bacon, mushroom and cheese this afternoon. A little later I was hungry again so I had a peach and some strawberries with a little cream. Getting a little peckish now too but not sure what to eat.

I don't think I'm drinking enough water in the day because for the last couple of days by mid-afternoon/early-evening I start developing a head-ache. I've had 2/2.5 litres but will try drinking more tomorrow. If it's not that it might be lack of food.
                            "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Cooked myself a couple of rashers of bacon and three scrambled eggs. Filled that hole. Not the same as chocolate...

On the theme of chocolate I forgot to add that I've been having a hot drink before bed most nights, often a hot chocolate made with milk. Yummy. Part of my attempt to start and keep up with a decent bedtime and sleep routine. Goes a bit like this... half hour before bed ~09.30/10.00 lights down and hot drink in jammies getting cosy. Chill for half hour then to bed with a bit of reading or an episode of American Dad (often I cant sleep without some noise to distract me from my thoughts - thinking of switching this to some music). Alarm set at the same time every day - 07.00 - attempt to get up within half an hour (may sound odd but I find getting out of bed really hard whether it's at 04.00 or 10.00! and pretty much regardless of number of hours of sleep). Last couple of days I've not done this little routine and getting up has been hard - harder than when I have I think, so tonight it's back to it to see if it makes a difference if I do it for a few days.
                              Last edited by Francesca; 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM.
                              "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X