No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - onalark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One week, four pounds down. Hurray? Or was it water weight? We'll find out next week.

So! 50 grams of protein definitely squashes my hunger like a 500 lb gorilla. I think in the future, for weight-loss purposes, I will definitely incorporate this. Even if it is hard. (And it's hard when you don't like eggs.)

To celebrate four pounds, I had 1/2 Tbs of (real! from France!) lavender honey on my Fage yogurt this morning. A bit higher carb than I usually have in the mornings, and it was definitely a one-time thing (I had Greek yogurt left over from the moussaka I made this weekend). Steaks for dinner and leftover moussaka for lunch. My carbs are well in hand.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Ran the work 5k today. Well, jog/walked a 5k today. I remember doing this last year, and being absolutely KNACKERED at the end, shoving oranges and bananas and water down my piehole as fast as I could, then running off and getting lunch. This time I finished, grabbed a banana, and went off to shower and get back to work. Vegan vs. paleo, folks. Paleo wins.

My carbs are slightly up today, mainly because I want to keep myself from crashing after the exertion of the 5k. I had half a sweet potato with lunch, as well as some salmon and chicken. I'll be doing my level best to keep dinner as "clean" as possible.

Yesterday was a group mixer, and my willpower remains superb. I ate some artichoke dip and veggies, some cheese, and one chicken skewer. No alcohol, no cookies, no key lime squares. Bless.
      Steph
      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I dug up last year's time on the 5k: 51:50. This years: 50:00. AND I wasn't as tired after, did I mention that? My ankles are sore today, though. Jogging really isn't my thing.

I had carnitas for dinner, and lo, in the midst of all that yummy, crispy meat was a big, fat pork bone. Just soft enough to chew on, and I did. The marrow was delightful.

Liver for dinner tonight, because the guy is currently out of town and he hates liver and I don't. Chicken breast and cottage cheese for breakfast. 50g of protein. Blargh.
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

It's the holidays, and I am admitting some defeat on the sugar front. Life is just too short to stress about it.

12/26 I intend to go back to basics and do a paleo reset. No grains, concentrated sugars, legumes, dairy, nightshades, or eggs.

I also started supplementing iodine, because I want to see what effect (if any) it has on my thyroid. Monitoring this closely, and will yank it from the rotation if I see any adverse effects.

Speaking of stress: my rental property has a major issue that I have to deal with ASAP. I've been trying for years to get out of credit debt, but it looks like the only way I can fix this problem is to go back that way. It sucks, but I'd rather pay and get it over with than sit here fretting about it. Life is, again, too short to spend worrying.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Had a little ground beef and fermented veggies for breakfast. I know that doesn't sound good, but it was! Not super hungry today, but I'll grab some lunch eventually. Dinner tonight: more ground beef (we need to use it up), and hopefully some green and leafy stuff.

Done with declaring sugar bankruptcy. I expect there'll be one more dip into the 20% pool with Christmas eve/day, but after that I'm heading into hard reset land, and looking forward to "eating clean" again.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Time for some camping! Meals include:
              • Steak with veggie hobo packs (aluminum foil wrapped around zukes, onions, spices, olive oil, salt)
              • Homemade sausage patties (with eggs for the guy)
              • Leftover chicken
              • Blueberries and coconut flakes for snacks

It took me ten minutes to grab all this stuff from the fridge and throw it in a cooler. Whoop whoop!
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Home-smoked meats make everything better.

(Official) Day 4 of no nightshades, eggs, or dairy. Bringing food to work, I feel, is key. It's hard to feel deprived when you're nomming on espresso-cocoa-allspice rubbed tri-tip smoked over applewood.
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Alas, I appear to be losing weight. :P

If this continues through the month, I am really, really going to miss tomatoes, eggs, and cheese. To say nothing of coworker lunches.
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Still losing. I can feel it. I think I can live with no nightshades, eggs, and dairy if I actually lose weight.

Bought two more tri-tips to smoke this weekend. Making lamb chops tonight for dinner. Can o' salmon for lunch. And I'm off.
                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Smoked tri-tips are delicious, as usual.

My coconut milk ice cream was a bit on the unsweet side. The family universally disliked it. They had vanilla ice cream, though, so hard to compare.

I am still losing. I'm finally a pound away from the weight I was at when I went down the aisle in September. Also did my first Body by Science routine today. Going to check out the work gym to see if they have machines, as "reps to failure" is a little scary with a barbell.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• My legs are protesting yesterday's workout. This is good!

I have meals for the rest of the week and that is also good. My biggest problem with the no-nightshades/dairy/eggs dealio is it makes eating out hard, and you have to have food on hand. The closest I've come to a "quick" meal I can make in literally seconds from pantry staples is avocado, canned salmon, lemon juice, and olive oil. In fact, once my avocados ripen, that'll be my lunch sometime this week. Muy delicioso and it gets me my Omega-3s!
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Still a bit sore, but it's on its way out. Weight went up a tick, but I expect that's because of water retention due to muscle blah blah blah.

I also ate around 1988 calories yesterday, give or take ~50.

Porkchops tonight. Avocado salmon salad for lunch. Waistline still going down. I really hope the Body by Science approach works, because holy jeez, guys, 12 minutes a week? How can you beat that?
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• The cycle of crap, and how I escaped it:

As a low-fat, high-fiber dieter, I learned that missing meals was DEATH. Okay, maybe not death...but it made me squirrely. Confused. Foggy. Angry. I hated it. I hated it so much, that I never missed a meal. Because if I did, I became a danger to myself and others. Also, it made my hands shake and gave me headaches. Keep those Fiber One bars on hands at all times, girls!

I remember trying to live on 1200 calories a day this way. It simply was not possible. I was a mess. So I ate to relieve the symptoms, and I didn't lose weight. Until I'd go through a month of self-hatred, measuring every bite that fit in my mouth, and then I'd drop two or three pounds and feel better...until I missed breakfast, and then I'd start gnawing on my work desk for sustenance.

As a high-fat, high-protein, low-carb...well, I don't really want to call it dieter. Let's call it food eater, I am only just now (just now!) coming to accept that I Can Get Away With This. I can skip lunch -- maybe eat a piece of fruit -- and it's not going to kill me. I can eat 1200 calories a day, and not be starved. In fact, it's what I naturally fall to if I don't over-fill my plate or have a ton of food to fall on.

This is something I just don't think most of my oh-so-slim doctors and friends ever "got". You really do not know this sense of panic and fear of hunger until you have lived it day in, day out for 10 years. The brain fog is scary. Really scary. Like, "I should not be driving cars" scary. Freeing my brain of that fear has taken -- literally! -- 10 months. 10 months. Really.

And I'm still working on it.

The next step is to be able to do a lunch with friends at a place that is wildly non-primaleo and not get any food. If I can do that, I'll know I've mastered this. I think I'm there.

Those are my thoughts for today. Smoked some beef ribs and two more tri-tips. Made a shit-ton of slow foods (brown butter, the aforementioned smoky meats, sourdough buckwheat pancakes, shrimp- and clam-stock) and I have a couple more to do tomorrow. We're thinking about doing a loooong walk tomorrow. Pray for sunshine!
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• We bought a freezer. Whoo!

Body by Science week two. Last week I felt it in my thighs. This week I feel it in my arms and back. The day after I always seem to gain about a pound, which I expect is my body flipping out and holding on to water. Also, my period starts today or tomorrow.

Liver for breakfast. I find I can take about 1/4 lb before my tastebuds revolt. I need to find a good pate recipe and start making it because pan-fried (even with bacon and onions) just ain't happening.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• As of this morning I'm at my wedding day weight (152.7 lbs). I didn't measure my waist/hips, but I'll do that tomorrow (was at 31/35" on Thursday). Whoo!

So here are the things that are working for me, the chick with Hashimoto's and 25 more pounds to lose:
                                • I'm counting calories. This is not for everyone, I know, but it's for me. I keep myself under 2000, mostly protein and fat, some carbs. I usually come in around 1400-1600 calories a day.
                                • Carbs are at around 50-70g a day, usually from veggies, nuts, berries, chocolate. I rarely eat pieces of fruit like apples and pears, but do if I feel like it and they're handy. I eat starches like sweet potato about 2-3 times a week.
                                • Following the autoimmune protocol. This means no eggs, dairy, nightshades, ibuprofen.
                                • No hard exercise, except for Body by Science on Sundays. I do walk a lot at work. My job is technically sedentary, but I have to get up constantly to go to meetings and talk to people, so I'm not always sitting.

I'm a small woman (63 inches) and scaling back my portions has been the hardest thing for me to learn. This took almost a year to get to. I think it's working, though. Finally.
                                Last edited by onalark; 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM.
                                Steph
                                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                                X