Primal Journal - onalark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6/18

And here we are, week one of Cytomel, and I am down two pounds.

Could be the Cytomel. Could be the Crossfit. Could be the paleoesque diet. Could be all three! Don't care! It's working!

Food
    • Breakfast - Sourdough buckwheat pancakes with cinnamon peaches (chopped fresh peach tossed with cinnamon and a pinch of sugar), maple syrup, and butter. 3 strips bacon. 12 oz coffee with cream. This was awesome.
    • Lunch - 1 apricot, half a plum, few spoonfuls of homemade Nutella.
    • Dinner - 1 bacon-wrapped scallop, some beef jerky, veal piccata (sans pasta), 1 meatball, salad with vinaigrette, stracciatella, half a creme brulee, some bites of ice cream, and about 2 4 oz pours of pinot noir. Yes, this was a "cheat day" meal.

Exercise
    Day off. Got a massage instead.

Supplements
    D3, Fish oil, Selenium.
    Skipped magnesium last night as I was up later than usual and didn't feel I needed it.
    Last edited by onalark; 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/19

Food last night was excellent, but I'll admit it was rough sitting by while everyone ate bread and pasta around me.

Had a mild case of the runs immediately after dinner. Either the fruit earlier in the day didn't agree with me, or the small amount of flour that I'm certain crept into my dinner didn't. I probably need to exercise this theory more, as I don't exactly want to be running to the bathroom every five minutes during my wedding reception because I ate the cake.

Food
      • Breakfast - 3 strips bacon, 2 eggs (fried in bacon fat), 1/4 avocado. Actually made myself 3 eggs, but couldn't finish it.
      • Lunch - Thai chicken curry - 1 can coconut milk, 1 pound sliced chicken breast, 1 Tbs green thai curry paste, veggies, and a hot wok. Shared it with the guy. Delish.
      • Dinner - Cross rib roast with parsnips, carrots, and onions. Sauteed kale and cabbage with apples, bacon, and onion. 5 oz wine. 10g dark chocolate with homemade Nutella. That stuff is dangerous.

Exercise
      Day off.

Supplements
      Fish oil, D3, selenium.
      Once again went to bed late enough that I was too tired for magnesium.
      Last edited by onalark; 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM.
      Steph
      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/20

Not much to report today. Slight cramp in my back on the left side. Other than that, all is well.

Food
        • Breakfast - Eggs scrambled with sausage gravy, onions, and mushrooms. Bacon drippings for the pan. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
        • Lunch - Leftover turkey sausage spaghetti sauce over leftover sauteed kale and cabbage.
        • Snack - 5 marcona almonds, some bites of chicken curry leftovers, 1 plum.
        • Dinner - Pork chops with peachsauce (like apple sauce, but with peaches), pan-roasted fennel, and a salad. The other half claims I have never made him roasted fennel. I say he's a filthy liar!

Exercise
        Crossfit starts in earnest tomorrow, so one more day off.

Supplements
        Same-same (back to the magnesium at night).
        Last edited by onalark; 06-20-2011, 09:25 PM.
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/21

Sweet potatoes are so good, they may be responsible for me exercising EVERY DAY just so I can feel like I've earned them. (About three months ago, I would have laughed if you'd suggested I'd be saying this.)

I'm 3 months away from getting married. Holy shit. I need to go find some hookers and cocaine, stat!

Food
          • Breakfast - 1 sweet potato with butter and salt, sausage and onion on top, and one scrambled egg. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
          • Lunch - Grilled fish (looked white; possibly tilapia or cod) with lime sauce, small salad, beef satay with sweet'n'sour. All the sauces were very sweet, so I tried to minimize. I also ate two mouthfuls of white rice just because.
          • Snack - 5 marcona almonds.
          • Dinner - Jalapeno-mango sausage, mashed turnips, salad. 10g dark chocolate, 5 oz wine, 1 tsp homemade Nutella.

Exercise
          • 400m row
          • 4 x 10 reps pull-ups (I could not clear the bar)
          • 4 x 10 reps ball slams @ 15 lbs
          • 4 x 10 reps deadlifts @ ?? lbs
          • 4 x 10 reps box jumps @ 2 feet (I think)

I didn't check the barbell weight. It seemed to be at least 20 lbs, but my memory might be exaggerating.

Supplements
          Same-same.
          Last edited by onalark; 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/22

Meant to write this morning but...whoops, nope.

Food
            • Breakfast - 2 eggs, scrambled with cream and bacon drippings, linguica sausage, and 1/4 avocado. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
            • Lunch - Sliced ham hock, seaweed salad, and steamed spinach and mung beans. Korean market FTW.
            • Dinner - Steak, onions with bacon, salad...with bacon. 10g dark chocolate. 5 oz wine.

Exercise
            Day off.

Supplements
            D3, fish oil, and selenium as usual.
            Forgot the Magnesium last night...whoops! Slept fine.
            Last edited by onalark; 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Lunch - Unknown
              lol
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Lunch: the great unknown.
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

My first real day of CrossFit. I suck!

Food
                  • Breakfast - Sweet potato with 1 egg, linguica sausage, onions, butter, and some bacon drippings to cook in. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                  • Morning snack - Couple slices of cold leftover roast. (I am exceedingly hungry post-workout.)
                  • Lunch - Sliced teriyaki steak, taro chips, steamed broccoli.
                  • Dinner - Grilled salmon, salad, and twice-cooked roasted vegetables. 10g chocolate, small spoon of gnutella.

Exercise
                  • Warm up (squats, shoulder press, back squat).
                  • 3 x 3 x snatch squat @ 17 lb
                  • 3 x 9 x back extension
                  • 3 x 15 x wall balls @ 14 lbs

My time was 5:40. Like I said, I suck!

Supplements
                  Kind of nervous about the magnesium now.
                  Last edited by onalark; 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM.
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Got my eyebrows and upper lip threaded. My skin still breaks out (hurray for delicate skin ), but it's not as "raw" as after a waxing session. Nothing but thread and about 10 minutes of prickly pain! I can do that.

Food
                    • Breakfast - Eggs and linguica, 1/4 avocado. I picked out my sausage and left a lot of the eggs -- insulin sensitivity, yay! 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                    • Lunch - Ceviche with shrimp and scallops, guacamole. I also ate three corn chips. Oh noes!
                    • Snack - It's my birth month, so the company birthday cake had my name on it, so I had two bites and a bit glop of frosting. It was terrible.
                    • Dinner - Coconut beef curry with Thai yellow curry paste. Lotsa veggies. 10g dark chocolate. 2 oz wine.

Exercise
                    I decided not to go crazy with CrossFit out of the gate, and slept in this morning. Will definitely hit the box Saturday.

Supplements
                    Skipped magnesium. Slept fine.
                    Last edited by onalark; 06-25-2011, 01:13 PM.
                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/25

We are doing a cupcake tasting (again) for our wedding. I am going to try and curtail the damage. This is one of the perils of getting hitched.

Food
                      • Breakfast/Brunch - Sourdough buckwheat pancakes with blueberries, nutella, butter, and a very small amount of maple syrup. 1 1/2 strips bacon, linguica sausage. 10 oz coffee with milk.
                      • Snack - So many cupcakes. They made me pretty ill. Milk helped.
                      • Dinner - Okay, I ate a piece of sourdough bread. Then I turned into a giant bread roll and the Oomp-Loompas showed up and dragged me off. (Not really.) In addition to the bread, I also had one scallop, some cheese, some hummus, some olives, some excellent seafood and avocado tower thing, more seafood in a tomato-cream sauce, some sort of fried risotto thing that was on the bottom of the tomato-cream sauce dish, and some berries and chocolate sauce. Oh, and two kinda-dirty martinis. Which is what led to the bread. Martinis are a gateway drug, kids.

Exercise
                      Tough Saturday. Here's the breakdown.

WARMUP (x3)
                      • 5 x jumping lunges
                      • 5 x long jumps
                      • 10 x push-ups
                      • 10 x shoulder press @ 45 lbs

WOD (x4)
                      • 100ft overhead walking lunge @ 27 lbs
                      • 15 box jumps
                      • 20 wall balls @ 14 lbs
                      • 10 hand-stand push ups

My time was 29:15. Not super great, and I had lighter weights than others, but...I didn't finish last. That's worth something, right?

Supplements
                      Fish oil, D3, selenium.
                      Still freaked out about the NC.
                      Last edited by onalark; 06-26-2011, 12:51 PM.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/26

I slept 12 hours. Thanks, martinis!

We took our engagement photos yesterday. I climbed over tree roots and rocks, and paid people to take photos of myMike and me making out. Weddings are weird, yo.

Food
                        • Breakfast - Sweet potato-bacon hash with eggs. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                        • Snack - 1.5 oz beef jerky. TJ's beef jerky contains soy sauce, but it's wheat free! Yay!
                        • Lunch - Two carne asada tacos without the tortillas. Couple bites of beans.
                        • Dinner - Lamb's liver with onions and sauteed greens. Couple sweet potato fries, few bites of rib meat. Chewed on myMike's baby-back rib bones; they were soft enough to squeeze out the marrow! Delicious.

Yeah, that's right. I found a local restaurant that makes lamb's liver. AWESOME. (The owner is British; I suspect that's why they even bother putting it on the menu.)

Exercise
                        My glutes are in a world of pain. Day off.

Supplements
                        D3, fish oil, selenium.
                        Didn't need magnesium last night, thanks to the power of vodka.
                        Last edited by onalark; 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

6/27

Glutes are still tender. I slept in. I also seem to be having a period. Boooo.

I put a roast in the crockpot. I will be honest -- I usually hate crockpot food. It all comes out tasting the same, and I think what it does to poultry is truly terrible.

I am trying some tweaks, though. For one, I seared the meat in olive oil before putting it in the crockpot. I then seared the vegetables in the meat-crusted pan. I then transferred the vegetables to the pot where the meat was, and added wine to the pan. I then nearly set my kitchen on fire. But it's okay. Wine burns up fast and nothing actually got scorched.

I am hoping the vegetables end up tasting sooooo good rather than sooooo boring. Time will tell.

Food
                          • Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 andouille chicken sausage, onions, bacon drippings. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                          • Lunch - Leftover Thai yellow curry with steak. I added a pinch of salt and sugar. I know!
                          • Snack - Couple strips of leftover GF roast.
                          • Dinner - Pot roast with veggies and leftover Korean salad. 5g dark chocolate.

Exercise
                          Day off.

Supplements
                          Everything but magnesium.
                          Last edited by onalark; 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM.
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Fun workout this morning. Farmers Walks are one of my favorite things in the world...probably because they're easy on me. Just focus forward and keep walkin'. When we did a Strongman competition at work, this was one of the places where I helped bring my team ahead.

Food
                            • Breakfast - Shredded sweet potato, eggs, sausage, onions, browned butter. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                            • Lunch - Work catered in fajitas. Ditched the tortillas, rice, and beans, and made myself a fajita salad. Ate a couple chips and a jalapeno popper that I peeled the batter off of.
                            • Dinner - Meh. Wasn't too hungry. Snacked on CSA veggie cuttings and ate some beef jerky.

Exercise
                            Warmup:
                            • 60 seconds "Hollow Rock"
                            • 20 pushups
                            • 10 jumping squats
                            • 20 jumping jacks

5 rounds for time:
                            • 25 ft Bear crawl
                            • 300 ft. Farmer walk (50/70 lbs)
                            • 15 Toes to Bar (more like toes to chest, amirite?)
                            • 5 Hurdles 24"

Supplements
                            Everything but magnesium.
                            Last edited by onalark; 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM.
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

The problem with exercise is that it lulls me into a sense of "oh, I can cheat more because I exercise". And I know that. And I need to stop it.

But also, it's my birthday. So I think I'll have some (flourless) chocolate cake tonight, and not hate myself in the morning.

The wedding just keeps dominating my thoughts every time I think about cheating. Will I be 110 pounds by mid-September? No. Will I even be 140? Very doubtful. If I'm 150, a weight I liked once, maybe I'll be happy with the photos. Maybe.

And I realize that may make some of you sad, but welcome to my life! Maybe I should opt to retake the photos if I manage to get down to my goal weight someday? After all, it's just one day. (One day with a lot of photos.)

Food
                              • Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with cream, avocado, and bacon. 12 oz coffee with light coconut milk.
                              • Lunch - Teriyaki steak, salad, squash, Japanese pickles, and three bites of rice.
                              • Dinner - Iva Lee's. I was bad. Enough said.

Exercise
                              Took the day off. (But shouldn't have.)

Supplements
                              D3, fish oil, selenium.
                              Had a waking nightmare. Probably need to bring the magnesium back in.
                              Last edited by onalark; 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

A day late. It was a busy day.

This was my attempt to not go nuts with food just because I'm exercising. The scale says it worked. Also, my stupid pants are not staying up anymore.

Food
                                • Breakfast - "Eggs in a Very Special Hell", 2 eggs poached on a bed of pot roast, El Pato tomato salsa, onions. 1/4 avocado. 12 oz coffee with coconut milk.
                                • Lunch - Very soupy beef stir fry. Stupid cafeteria.
                                • Snack - 5 almonds.
                                • Dinner - Charbroiler beef bowl with veggies, no rice.

Exercise
                                Three rounds of:
                                • Russian barbell twists (55/45 lbs) x 20
                                • Hollow rocks x 20
                                • Back extension x 15
                                • Flutter kicks x 15

There were Good Mornings in the warm up. My hamstrings feel AWESOME.

Supplements
                                As normal (back on the magnesium due to waking nightmares and assurances from the company and the Internets that the lead report was old and skewed).
                                Last edited by onalark; 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM.
                                Steph
                                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                                X