Primal Journal - onalark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I haven't read that site before, very interesting. Banana and cottage cheese sounds like a totally reasonable breakfast to me. You got some protein in there, and (for me) that's most important.
    She's an interesting lady. VLC and obviously super healthy. She says she's had a ton of health issues that strict paleo cleared up. I suspect if I were as bad off as she was, I'd be stricter about my eating habits, too.

I drank a ginger brew this morning. Because at 11:30 AM, I was still feeling like puking. Luckily, the downstairs cafe carries Reed's ginger brew, which is awesome and I wanted to cry and hug the bottle when I saw it. I now no longer feel like puking. Thanks, Reed's ginger brew!
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Also, if you can carry some little packets of alcohol swabs, smelling on always made me less nauseous. and I would sometimes have those old hard peppermint candies, and ginger ale..
      Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by PoisonApple View Post
        Also, if you can carry some little packets of alcohol swabs, smelling on always made me less nauseous. and I would sometimes have those old hard peppermint candies, and ginger ale..
        The smell of beer and wine has been a turnoff lately, so I'm not certain how much the swabs will help. Then again, cut lemons might be nice....

Thanks!
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• well it's like pure alcohol, so it's not like smelling beer. I also couldn't stand the smell of beer or liquor. At work in the hospital, our patients recovering from surgery are often nauseous, and alcohol swabs can sometimes take it away.. not sure why, but it worked for me.

I love wine! It's been hard to live without.. well, I did have 2 glasses in the past few months, with a huge meal.
          Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

• I love wine, too. Occasionally I can deal with a spritzer. But Mr. Onalark has had to be careful with drinking beer around me. If I smell it on his breath, I start to gag.

I got up this morning and immediately ate a banana. This appears to have helped with the nausea. So far it's quarter to 11 and no gagging. Woot.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• As mentioned, got up, ate a banana, felt fine. A little nausea and then nothing. So I think the banana is doing what the midwife and the mom were telling me to do: namely, eat something starchy that could quickly get into my blood sugar. Bonus: I don't have to eat a bland frankenfood to get there. Yay!

Breakfast was more cottage cheese and a hefty spoonful of sunflower butter mixed in, plus the usual half-caff. So far, so good. Lunch is coming, but I'm not overwhelmingly hungry or gnawing my arm off, so I'm thinking the fat from the sunflower butter plus the protein from the cottage cheese is keeping me going past the initial sugar lift of the banana.

I bought beef jerky, and am reminded that I really should just make my own. $6 for 4 ounces is ridonculous.

Also! I made more yogurt in my sous vide. So easy! Heat it up, cool it down, add some yogurt, heat it back up again. And it basically gets me good quality yogurt at half price. Hooray!
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• yess homemade yogurt! What kind of milk are you using? I just made my own, it came out amazing and gets a little tangier with every day. If I left if for a week and strained it, it would probably taste like Fage's full-fat Greek yogurt.
                Depression Lies

Comment

yess homemade yogurt! What kind of milk are you using? I just made my own, it came out amazing and gets a little tangier with every day. If I left if for a week and strained it, it would probably taste like Fage's full-fat Greek yogurt.
                  Just plain ol' organic whole milk, pasteurized. I'm pondering doing raw milk next time. Also pondering lowering the heat next time to see what effects it has on the texture (and will definitely do so if I use raw).

Yeah, I really should strain it, but it's a mess and I'm laaaaazy.
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• What temperatures did you use? If you don't incubate in the 100-110F range, it won't thicken/culture. Or are you just talking about incubating at the lower end of the range?
                    Depression Lies

Comment

What temperatures did you use? If you don't incubate in the 100-110F range, it won't thicken/culture. Or are you just talking about incubating at the lower end of the range?
                      I mean the initial heating up to denature the proteins. I usually take it up to 180, but I've heard you don't need to go up that high. I experimented with 175 in the hopes that the yogurt wouldn't be so grainy and "cooked".

I know in Nourishing Traditions Fallon/Enig said not to take raw milk yogurt to 180. They say 110 and then incubate at 95. I dunno. Maybe raw milk is magical? You'd think so, reading the WAPF literature. :P /rimshot

But yeah, I incubate in the 100-110 range.

Also, hooray! The mods nuked the "is rape primal?" thread. Oh, trolls. You so silly.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Yeah, some of the things I've read about raw milk also say not to heat so much. Let me know how it comes out! Raw milk is too much of a hassle to obtain here, so I will stick with my pasteurized, local, organic whole milk (found one that's grass-fed with cream on top too!).
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Have you tried the Organic Pastures Dairy? It's just for us fortunate folks here in California since silly laws keep them from shipping out of state. They have a great line of products including milk, cheese, cream, butter, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            Have you tried the Organic Pastures Dairy? It's just for us fortunate folks here in California since silly laws keep them from shipping out of state. They have a great line of products including milk, cheese, cream, butter, etc.
                            I have a great hippymart nearby that carries two brands of raw milk -- Organic Pastures and Claraville. Main reason I haven't tried making the raw milk yogurt yet is mainly cost and getting there. But now that I've got a decent system for making yogurt that doesn't require too much hassle, I think that'll be my next experiment!
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Not much nausea this morning. I slept fairly badly, waking up at least four times. I suspect I'm overheating. I haven't slept with covers on in four nights, and my boobs are sore again. Yay?

Last night I ate an entire t-bone steak and still wanted more. Some nights I just don't seem to have the famous protein aversion. Some days I do. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Waking up pretty much every day at 5 AM and have started taking my thyroid pills then before heading back to sleep.

Finally: Reed's ginger brew. Every pregnant woman must have a case of it at all times. I don't know if it's placebo or what, but one bottle of that stuff and I'm no longer green around the gills.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• I've never had to deal with morning sickness but ginger is well known for being good for nausea. Is that a ginger kombucha or more like a ginger ale?

Comment

Working...
                                X