No announcement yet.

A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's feeling crappy led to some undisciplined snacking through the day, even a candy bar (probably the first one in a couple of years). But I was feeling better by evening and worked around the garden for several hours, digging, planting, hedge-trimming and wheelbarrow pushing. A good workout. Weight this morning up to 141, not surprising.

Back to work and back to Primal this morning.

Comment

• Weight back into the 130's this morning. 139.5, despite a way less than perfect day. Issues around my developmentally challenged son derailed my usual good spirits and positive attitude and I did some undisciplined snacking last night, even opened a bottle of port (a gift from my birthday) and had a 2 oz glass, as I was craving something sweet and raisins weren't cutting it. It did the trick.

Had no energy for a run last night, emotionally drained in dealing with the "crisis". Hopefully tonight - I would like to try sprinting or hill sprints. I keep reading about the massive changes that sprints cause in the body and I'm really curious to see what happens.

Comment

• I just completed my first real sprint session. I jogged the half mile over to a quiet stretch of backroad and sprinted between hydro poles (I'm guessing 15-20 secs each time, 8 repeats), alternated with walking/jogging. Then ran a gentle extra loop home, total 2 miles. Feels great. Plan is for a 6 mile long run this weekend.

Comment

• 140.5 lbs. I ate a bit too much after my run last night, including rice crackers, really salty. Hence the weight retention, I guess. Loved the sprint! Long run tomorrow or Sunday.

Comment

• I had 2 beers last night and blew up! It was sushi with friends and one of them brought Sapphoro beer. And it was a hot summer night. But I felt wretched afterwards, darn it all - and I like beer!

I didn't even step on the scale this morning - no point getting sidetracked by bloat.

Hubby leaves for another 12 days away, China on business this time. This leaves younger son and me eating alone for a week, then he goes off to camp and I eat alone again for about 4 days until hubby returns home. I'm thinking about doing the modified juice fast again, maybe with one meat meal per day while son is home, then juice/avocados only for the last 4 days. I don't want to compromise my running too much, as I'm only 6 weeks out from my half marathon and I have to do long runs over the next few weeks to prepare. Hopefully 6 to 6.5 miles today.

Comment

• Weekend of indiscretion and up to 141.5 this morning. But I ran 6.25 miles last night, my longest run yet! I had to do some walking breaks, but at least I'm covering the distance. I'm pretty pleased to get to almost half of the half-marathon distance.

I really plan to get back to the 130's by the weekend, then stay there. I made Rivven's Angry Bread for breakfast this morning, have a bunless burger in my lunch. After work is turning into a snack time again and I have to stop that again. I had no probs with that time for months, just restarted later. Must develop a strategy for getting past that time of day.

Comment

• 4-6 pm is my "bad time too.
                It used to be snack time (when working or driving in the car) or drink time...

If you figure out how to get past it, let me know...
                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• OY!! Not a good week. The snack monster awakens each day about 3 p.m., roars about in my head for about 3-5 hours, until I feel like crap, then subsides again until the next day at the same time. I've been under some stress, and that's a big part of it, I think. Today is better, as I got up at 3:30 this afternoon and took a shot of SLD oil, then had to remain flavourless for an hour (per Shangri La method). Now it's 1.5 hours later and my appetite is nil! I'm not even interested in figuring out a supper strategy - in fact I may skip it until after son's soccer practice.

Luckily, my weight has not ballooned much with the daily grain/sugar binges. In reality, a binge might be 8 rice crackers or a fruit nappie sized bowl of chips. I actually baked one day, but it was store-bought choc chip cookie dough and I probably ate at most 500 cals of batter and baked cookies. The binges are pretty minor by binge standards. I weighed 142 this morning. I still fit into my thinner clothes, but I'm back into evening gas with the reintroduction of grains. And of course, I stopped the daily updating that seems to be important to me for accountability.

I've been making Rivven's Angry bread alot this week - seem to be off of eggs somewhat at the moment. I'll get bacon again at the market tomorrow - that should help. And I have about 4 days of eating entirely alone this coming week, so I may fire up the juicer again, like I did in July. We'll see.

Comment

• Just like that, I seem to have flipped a switch and put the snack monster back into it's cage and slammed the door. Yesterday afternoon, I took 2 tbsp of extra light olive oil, thrown back like a shot, with no flavour stimulation of any kind for about 2 hours before or 2 hours after, and my appetite just evaporated. I felt like nothing appealed, so I ate half an apple before going to soccer practice (I don't play, I'm team manager) and still wasn't hungry for much when I got home at 8. So I had a few rice crackers and feta cheese, but even then, I only took out 6 crackers and I threw 3 of them in the compost - I really didn't want them!!

The Shangri La Method can be a really powerful appetite and cravings suppressant. It took an mental effort to overcome inertia and start it again, but I'm so glad I have. My weight dropped 2 lbs overnight, getting rid of the bloat, I guess. Now back at 140.0 and on the cusp of dropping back into the 130's.

I'm off to the farmer's market to replenish my supplies of meat. I'm waiting to take delivery of my second hind quarter of beef, but for now, I need ground beef, bacon and maybe a smoked pork chop or a steak. I'm eating alone for the week, so I can choose whatever I want.

Five weeks from today, I run/walk the Air Force Half Marathon in Dayton. Some long run/walks in my future - need good fuel!

Comment

• In the past 30 hours or so, I have driven 10 hours to take my son to camp, attended an all day soccer tournament, stayed over in my sleeping bag at the campgrounds and eaten all meals away from home. I had breakfast sandwiches from a donut shop both mornings, but I bought 2 English muffin sandwiches with egg, sausage patty and cheese, then peeled out the egg and sausage and threw away the bread and melted plastic cheese part. That and double cream coffee was enough to keep me going most of the day today and yesterday. Lunch at the tournament was a jumbo hot dog (I threw out the bun and just ate the dog), half a small bag of chips and a diet coke, plus several pieces of watermelon and lots of orange quarters. Supper was a quarter chicken with tossed salad side at Swiss Chalet - threw away the bun and sauce. So pretty well totally "primal" despite the challenges. And today, weighed fully dressed and in late morning (as opposed to my usual first thing, no clothes weight), I'm 139.5. Wahoo!!

The combo of eating primal and Shangri La is powerful!

Comment

• I ran 7.3 miles/11.75km this evening in 1:20. And only about 2 major walk breaks, one involving a rather big hill. I worked at keeping my heartrate low, moving slowly. Felt good. I added a half sweet potato, baked in mic to my supper of peameal bacon and spinach sauteed in butter, then had a banana/raspberries/protein smoothie after the run. I had a bit of remaining fermented soy vanilla protein powder (helps with hot flashes) and a couple of tbsp of my new experimental ground hempseed protein powder. Can't say I like the flavour. Not sure I'll use it in a smoothie again - I'll have to research other uses.

My entire half marathon training is likely to consist of one slow, low heartrate long run a week, plus hopefully one sprinting session weekly. I have just under 5 weeks left. Next weekend, I'm trying for 9 miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
                          To, me, fresh corn is on a par with sweet potatoes, a higher carb fresh veg. As long as taken in moderation, how can it be bad? I know that it's probably GMO and chemicalled to death, but it's a short season treat and I feel no guilt!
                          Me too. I've been limiting myself to one cob a night.
                          We grow our own, so it's VERY fresh and young and sweet
                          It's GMO, but not sprayed.

Originally posted by marthat View Post
                          In the past 30 hours or so, I have driven 10 hours to take my son to camp, attended an all day soccer tournament, stayed over in my sleeping bag at the campgrounds and eaten all meals away from home.
                          It sounds like you did an excellent job of finding primal foods away from home.

Originally posted by marthat View Post
                          I ran 7.3 miles/11.75km this evening in 1:20. And only about 2 major walk breaks, one involving a rather big hill. I worked at keeping my heartrate low, moving slowly. Felt good.

My entire half marathon training is likely to consist of one slow, low heartrate long run a week, plus hopefully one sprinting session weekly. I have just under 5 weeks left. Next weekend, I'm trying for 9 miles.
                          Half marathon - wow!
                          I think I'll stick with 5k
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Thanks, WNC! Yes, I am now at the point that I couldn't bring myself to eat the white bread bun, even sitting at the picnic table with a dozen of my soccer athletes and a fellow coach, and knowing that I only had one weiner (though a big one). I"ve never been fond of plain white bread or buns, but now they feel poisonous going into my body, never mind tasteless. It's messy eating this way, though, especially with condiments involved. And taking the egg and sausage patty out of the Tim Horton's Breakfast sandwich is rather messy, too. I eat in my car rather than subject myself to stares in the restaurant.

Weight has dropped again to 137.5 lbs. I'm thrilled. My goal pants fit great when I'm standing up, still a bit snug when sitting. I'm back to work today, still taking the daily SLD oilshots, eating primal, but in small portions per my reduced appetite (thanks, SLD!) I have a wee ribeye steak waiting for me tonight.

Comment

• Back in the 60s, just after marrying my mum, dad put on a lot of weight (like 50 lbs). His doctor put him on an oil-shot diet back then! Granted, it was corn oil (!), but he dropped the weight.
                              Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                              Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                              CW: 146.8 lbs
                              GW 140 lbs
                              A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
                                Back in the 60s, just after marrying my mum, dad put on a lot of weight (like 50 lbs). His doctor put him on an oil-shot diet back then! Granted, it was corn oil (!), but he dropped the weight.
                                Back in the days before the "low-fat" revolution. I've heard about that from others - there was a book, but I can't remember the name.

Comment

Working...
                                X