No announcement yet.

A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's good to see that you haven't gained back all the weight you'd lost immediately upon returning to eating. That's what happened to me when I did an extended Master Cleanse years ago, so I've been curious to see what happens with this. Today is day #1 for me and, of course, I just started my period, so there will be no clear starting weight for me. I surprised myself and did not get all "Last Supper" last night. I simply wasn't hungry (related to my period), so I didn't eat. I found a juice recipe last night on YouTube that they swear tastes like chocolate milk. We'll see about that! I'll have to report back on that one.... Glad to see you're continuing on with the juicing in addition to meals. I've come to believe that this is the ultimate.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• That Master Cleanse is pretty extreme, so no wonder people gain back when they stop. I had a forum-mate once who did 40 days of master cleanse, dropped about 40 lbs, then started re-eating (not the best choices for re-introduction - went straight for cheesy stuff) and within a week or two was back up almost 20 lbs. Because my modified juice fast involves nourishment, not "cleansing" so much, I don't think that the regain is likely. And I'm going back to clean primal eating (basically eating non-juiced veggies and meats, a bit of dairy), so I'm confident that I can stay in this range, if not continue gradually downwards.

So, I was looking for a "primal-friendly" nibbly to take to my afternoon tea party. I bought a marked-down big bag of "almost overripe" tomatoes yesterday, so I was looking for something to do with them. I found this recipe, and it's very Primal. About.com: http://www.e-rcps.com/pasta/rcp/antipasti/chry_tom_stfd.shtml I used two of the little pop-top cans of yellowtail tuna in olive oil. And I discovered that pureed tuna is a whole different beast than tuna out of the can. It's amazingly yummy, even before adding in the other ingredients. Like meat pudding! Who knew?

Tigerlily, do you have your own journal thread where you will be chronicling this adventure?
      Last edited by marthat; 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Weight 137.0 this morning, up 1 lb after yesterday's party. I was able to stay pretty primal at the party, other than a few tortilla chips used as bread alternatives for the yummy spreads and dips (about 8 chips, I reckon), and 2 small glasses of Prosecco (Italian bubbly wine). Then only juice for the rest of the day. Interestingly, I experienced a total "stuffedness" when there, like totally uncomfortable, bloated pain stuffedness, where I couldn't eat another bite and actually made my excuses and left. I'm thinking it was the 3 or 4 pieces of watermelon that I scarfed down - it was stinkin' hot. But on the up-side, I was wearing a little pink cotton sundress that I haven't worn since I fell for it in a vintage store 2 or 3 years ago. It fit perfectly around the bust and didn't even touch my body anywhere else, so was as cool as I could get on such a hot day. And I felt wonderful wearing it.

Plan today is to make juice after returning home from my very early hair appointment, make up the fish I thawed and didn't use yesterday, go for a walk or light run as it's supposed to be much cooler today. I only have to work one day this week - YAH!!

Comment

• Martha, it's great to see that you're doing well (love the vintage dress story!) and are continuing on with the juice. How is your brother doing? I've been thinking about him.

I don't think I'll start a journal for my juice fast (just completed day 1 yesterday). I already spend too much time here and on the computer in general. Not planning on doing a play-by-play, but any noteworthy comments I think I'll just put in that main thread about the documentary. Anyway, thanks for the idea about the avocado. It made a big difference.

Comment

• Tiger Lily, you're welcome. I love the avocado and am still eating one for at least one meal a day. Yesterday I had one for lunch with the hole filled in with the rest of the pureed tuna mix, then the whole thing sprinkled with celery salt. It was amazing!

Last I spoke to my brother, he was down 8.5 lbs in the first week. That was about 3 days ago. My son and I are driving down to see him on Wed this week. Can't wait to get there, see his juicer and give him some new things to try. Anything to help him get thinner and fitter. It's just the two of us - I want him to stick around. I'm hoping to transition him to a more primal way of eating eventually, but if he chose to do a 30 or even 60 day juice fast, it would be great for him. His body needs the nutrients right now and to start using his own stored energy. I think he has been starving in his obesity. Just using the juice instead of diet coke and sugary drinks will be a huge step forward.

Comment

• I just did a slow run this evening. Plan was 2 miles, but it felt so good that I ended up doing 2.8 miles. It has been a cooker, but after about 8:30 p.m. it feels better and I was able to enjoy being out and exerting myself. 32:30

Comment

• 137.5 lbs this morning, a bit "backed up". Yesterday I poached a piece of trout for the first time and it was fabulous. Poached it in coconut milk. I ate a big piece for lunch and the remainder cold with my avocado for supper. And for the first time, was only able to eat half my avocado. It just felt like too much food. But it was very hot yesterday - that may have something to do with it.

I've had a restless night, probably also due to the heat, but also likely due to the late evening run. Unfortunately, that's the time of day that I feel best and the weather is best for running. I have never been a good early morning runner or an empty stomach runner. And running in the middle of a hot sunny summer day is for lunatics, in my opinion...

Still juicing every morning and adding in moderate amounts of meat and raw veggies. I'm feeling more comfortably settled into the 130's, not like I'll pop up weight-wise back into the 140's if I relax vigilance at all. In fact, I can't really say that I'm feeling vigilant at all - this feels good and right. Cold juice in the hot summer is so easy to enjoy, and not cooking big meals is pure joy.

Comment

• Stable at 137.5 this morning. Still feeling a little "backed up." It is so hot here (by central Ontario standards, anyways) that I bought romaine lettuce and a bag of ready-made oven roasted turkey breast after work and made Caesar salad dressing for an instant cold supper. It's quite high sodium which may explain the lack of weight movement this morning. I'm still consuming as much juice as before - three meals and an extra 8 oz "snack" serving. My overall calorie intake remains quite low, it's still almost 100% primally compliant, lots of good fats.

I'm shooting for 133 by August 1.

This afternoon, DS and I drive off to visit my brother in Indiana, a 7 hour drive (plus whatever time it takes for the border crossing). Right into the centre of a record breaking heat wave - highs of 38C (over 100F) before humidex. Oh, well, we'll visit indoors or seek shade. I won't be weighing for the next 3 days, but since my brother is doing the juice fast at this time, I'll join him and shouldn't have a problem eating well while visiting. Of course, we will still have to prepare food for my hungry 18-year-old jock-kid. We'll figure it out. I'm actually looking forward to browsing an American supermarket. Part of being a dietitian/nutrition junkie - I enjoy food shopping.

Comment

• I'm back from a 4 day roadtrip to Indiana to visit my brother. Weight this morning 139.0. It's up 1.5 lbs, but I'm as pleased as punch to still be in the 130's despite the number of restaurant meals I've had in the past 4 days. I count 4 meals, plus a night at a ball park ($1 beer night! - I had one.) I found it suprisingly easy to stay away from wheat totally, other grains mostly. I had corn tortilla chips a couple of times and a few freshcut fries from my son's box. I ate a cheeseburger without the bun from a chip wagon, chose meaty salads, Bob Evan's breakfast with no bread or biscuits. Portions were huge, but the quality of the food was fair at least. My brother and I found a gourmet cheese shop in his little city and a local butcher in a nearby farming village. We were on the prowl for liver for supper. And found an apple orchard that he can return to in the fall. We juiced every day.

It was record-breakingly hot and so we got minimal activity. One evening walk around the subdivision for about 1.5 miles.

Back home now, hubby back from his 3 week trip. I plan to continue making juice and adding in one regular (read primal) meal per day. Otherwise I hope to keep juicing and taking an avocado for lunch for at least another week, consolidate my weight in the mid to lower 130's. And start running again.

Comment

• Glad to see you're back and that you survived the trip with little ill effect on the scale. What sort of juice are you making? It's the beginning of day 8 for me. Not sure how much longer I'll go; not much.

Comment

• At my brother's, we were juicing kale, lettuce, celery, carrots, oranges, ginger, zucchini. He hates cucumbers and can taste them in the juice, so no cukes. I hadn't tried oranges as a fruit base for the juice before and it was really nice. I usually use apples or cantaloupe melon. At home I make a day's worth of juice with 2 apples, 2-3 carrots, 3-4 stalks of celery, something dark green (kale or chard), a cucumber, usually a beet, ginger, occ some parsley or cilantro. It's enough for 3 pint servings and a half-pint "snack".

Great on making the 8 days! Is it having an effect on your weight? What else are you feeling?

We had a church breakfast today and I ate a store-bought muffin. Yuck! Dry and too sweet. I'm about to head out on a motorcycle ride with newly-returned hubby, first time together in almost a month. We'll eat lunch out somewhere, but I'm hoping for a salad with protein. Whatever, the important thing is to have the together time after his long trip. I brought a whole bunch of cut fruit home from the church breakfast and I'll use it to make juice later today, to get back on track. I have steaks and pork chops thawing for supper. Meat-fest!!

Comment

• 140.0 this morning. Starches yesterday, no poop - it's not permanent. Made juice last night for today until supper. Back into the 130's by tomorrow, I'm sure!

Comment

• Man, I've been hungry today! Fallout from the last 5 days of eating restaurant meals, I guess. I managed to go through till after work on my planned juice, avocado, some raw radishes, but I had to eat cheese and rice crackers for snack as soon as I got home from work, as I was perishing and supper was going to be really late. That held me until I got home at 8, when I wolfed down a sausage and carmelized onions. Then a piece of bread and butter (Oh Bad!!). But I've made juice and now I'm feeling sated and ready for bed.

I am now 2 days "backed up" and feeling a bit uncomfortable. I hate when this happens.

Comment

• I broke my fast midday yesterday, day 8. So I went 7 full days. A friend lent me a book which I wish I'd read in the midst of this process, not afterwards. I stopped when I did because I was having all sorts of problems with my back and posture and stride (from an old injury that I'm still rehabbing). Come to find out that that is actually part of an accelerated healing process that was going on. From reading the book and the explanation and the timeframe, I can see it clearly now. But I didn't know any better and got concerned and bailed. Now I wish that I hadn't. I also did not come down properly off the fast, which the book gets into as well. I hope I haven't screwed myself too much. I keep checking, and the back fat which disappeared overnight is still gone, though. I intentionally haven't weighed in a few days because I knew that I'd gain some of it back when I began to eat solid food, but when I did weigh in last I was averaging approx. 1 pound a day. I'll go weigh tomorrow or the day after (by design, I no longer have a scale in my home) to see. I feel yucky eating cooked food again -- I just feel heavy and greasy and sluggish.

Comment

• 139.5 today, down half a lb despite not "going" for several days now. Not sure why I'm so backed up, but it's likely the change in routine and food because of the roadtrip and 5 days in a row of at least 1 restaurant meal. I'm expecting good things when I get this s*#t moving! And after the frenetic pace of getting back into family and life (grocery shopping, making lunches for the whole gang again, meetings, taxi mom, etc), I am going to have the opportunity for a run this evening. Can't wait - it's long overdue!

@ Tigerlily - When I "broke" my juice fast, I kept making the juice, just added some other foods back in in place of the avocados. The juice helped to keep the "lightness" going, and helped to maintain the weight loss and consolidate it, I think. Now I'm juicing, but adding in raw veggies at lunch and having a regular primal dinner with my family. This is my plan for the next couple of weeks, I hope, as I get down to 135 or below and maintain there. Great to hear about your "healing" experience - I had something similar happen when I was doing Whole 30 in April - a burning sensation in my Achilles that I swear was the tendon healing, as it has been better since that day. What book were you reading?

Comment

Working...
                                X