Nature's Path of Well Being; Dana's Perspectives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature's Path of Well Being; Dana's Perspectives

I've been following MDA since November of 2010. I've read the PB book, tried many of the recipes in the cookbook, and suggestions in the forum; all met with great enthusiasm, positive energy and a great sense that I belong to something special, the human race. We humans are capable of so many positive beautiful things that bring happy tears to my eyes!!! After reading the Primal Blueprint, I've come to appreciate just what humans are, what I am, and the potential for a beautiful not so distant future. I'm here to reconnect myself with a past that may have been long forgotten, but is still a major part of who we are today.

The concepts behind the Primal Blueprint all ring true to my whole being and it is my goal to reach the power within myself to heal the damage I've done from past unhealthy habits, to feel whole, and have the energy and unwavering happy passion to go forth and pursue my lifelong dreams.

I truly believe that the junk I've put in my body over the past decade or so has created a nasty monster within me that craves the junk, that is spoiled to a T, and whines and complains when it doesn't get its way. This monster raises it's ugly head more often than I care to admit and causes myself to sink into bouts of serious depression, where I further damage and hide who I am. (my monster self portrait is below). It is that side of myself that I've unwittingly allowed to take over and mask who I am.

In the past few months, I have slipped far and away from following a lifestyle that is in balance with myself, physically, mentally, intellectually and spiritually even though I told myself at the beginning of the year that I would keep my promises to myself. I couldn't live another year of disappointment and shattering the goals I've laid out for myself. I am to blame for making bad choices and I'm way overdue for changing that evil side of me.

As of now, my stats stand thusly:

weight: 172
    height: 5' 2"
    build: medium

bust: 40"
    waist: 34"
    belly: 40"
    hip: 41"
    thighs: 24"
    arms: 13"
    neck: 15"

My first goal is to eat at home for the next week, incorporating as much foods as I can that are found in nature. (meat, fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, & natural oils)

I will track the food I eat in a journal

I will walk everyday

With every step of the way my ultimate goal is to feel free, balanced, blissfully happy, full of energy and truly healthy. The following epitomizes of how I wish to feel:

I've taken other steps this year to follow a path that is closer to who I am. I am breaking up with my boyfriend of 5 years and moving back to Colorado. I'm simplifying my life to the point of selling things I've hung on to for no practical reason, packing just what I can in my car and hitting the road come early May. My life will be spent rescuing horses, seeking an artistic path, and spending time with those closest to me. A new chapter of my life has begun, and it is my whole hearted intention to make my lifelong dreams come true.
    Last edited by zsadie; 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM.
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

It sounds exciting to leave it all behind, especially all the 'stuff'! Best of luck and post often.

Comment

Thank you! same to you!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Comment

Day two of my Primal Lifestyle

My focus is on the food for now, but to slowly but surely incorporate more exercise.

Move frequently at a slow pace:
        I walked with co-workers outside around the parking lot this morning

Eat Meat, Fish, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts, Fats, and Oils
        Breakfast
        greek yogurt (full fat)
        raspberries
        blueberries
        walnuts
        tsp of honey

lunch:
        avocado slices rolled in turkey slices
        cottage cheese (4% milk fat)
        grapes

snack:
        jerky, the real stuff!

dinner:
        Italian Chicken
        Herb mixed salad and green beans
        Olive oil dressing and oregano seasoning

Comment

Today marks my own personal 30 day challenge. I'm cutting out grains, fast food junk, and reducing my processed sugar intake dramatically. I will walk everyday, sprint whenever I feel up for it ( I used to love sprinting when I was a little girl, I know I have it in me still. =D)

Breakfast:

Fage Total Greek Yogurt with 2 chopped dates
          green tea (unsweetened)
          water
          half a grapefruit (no sweetener; I never thought I'd see the day where I could eat grapefruit with out a sprinkling of sugar! I love it plain now!

Lunch
          edit: slight change in my salad ingredients!
          herb greens
          spinach
          feta cheese
          cherry tomatoes
          mushrooms
          pecans
          sunflower seeds
          vinegar olive oil dressing
          roasted chicken slices

Dinner
          chicken
          broccoli

snacks/desserts
          jerky slice
          dark chocolate

exercise
          walk the stairs at work during break times
          push-ups against the counter
          Last edited by zsadie; 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Congrats on starting to change your life. Don't give up if you slip up once in a while.

Comment

Thank you AverageJoe! I slipped for two months this year, but I'm back on track today. I'm glad I haven't given up on myself, but those two months were a dark hole I can tell you that much! Today I feel one step closer to ultimate health. =D

I really really really enjoyed my lunch today. It was absolutely fantastic! Since going organic, it's been hard for me to even stomach the normal conventional produce, in a pinch yes, but I have to admit, there is a marked difference in the freshness and quality of organic produce, not to mention optimally healthy raised meat!

Comment

Yesterday was a bit of screw up, with Easter and having to run around all over the place, I had a mix of primal and non-primal foods, (mostly non-primal). And why, I must know did I have a mad craving for donuts? As a donut fryer for a couple of months 14 years ago, I haven't been much of a donut fan, maybe once every 3-4 months I might have ONE. It hit me this weekend that I really wanted a donut!! Weirdness! So ended up giving into my donut craving, and I had WAAAY too many! I don't even want to know how many carbs I consumed. With that, however, I'm back on track today.....

Breakfast
                Raspberries
                blueberries
                blackberries
                coconut milk
                slight drizzle of agave syrup
                green tea

Starbucks run! Tall Mocha

Lunch
                Leafy herbs
                chicken (both dark and white meat)
                radishes
                english cucumber slices
                mushrooms
                cherry tomatoes
                avocado
                sunflower seeds
                olive oil and red wine dressing

have to say, it was one of the best salads I threw together! Yummy!!

Dinner
                Hamburger patty
                green apple slice (lightly toasted on either side)
                raspberry dressing
                herb lettuce
                feta cheese

dessert

dark chocolate square

Comment

I was still a little hungry after my salad, so I'm munching on a Bumble Bar!

Comment

I've been trying to shake off some kind of flu or cold bug that started a week ago, but hit me hard this weekend, and most especially yesterday. I wasn't great diet wise yesterday either.

Breakfast
                    Egg sandwich on hamburger bun w/bacon and cheese
                    green tea

Lunch
                    Tomato soup (Campbell's of course)
                    Half a grilled ham and cheese sandwich
                    earl grey tea w/lemon and honey

Dinner
                    2 small pizza slices
                    soda

Comment

Today is better, still quite under the weather, but at least I'm functioning and at work!

Breakfast
                      Bumble Bar
                      Banana
                      Green tea

Lunch
                      Left over hamburger patty from Monday (pan cooked with butter, fresh oregano, and rosemary)
                      Green apple slices
                      Sheep cheese feta
                      herb lettuce mix
                      Raspberry dressing
                      Broccoli (from Monday)
                      Ginger tea

snack
                      Red grapes

Dinner
                      Steak
                      Green leafy salad

Comment

Well, I've made it to Colorado and am pretty much all settled. I've been applying for jobs left and right but so far no one is biting. It's been almost 2 months since I've been here. I happened to move to the second largest city in Colorado on the Western Slope where the unemployment rate is highest. I thought I would have the best chance with all the experience I've had even considering companies can't find qualified individuals to fill the many positions that are available. It's so strange. Yet, I'm glad I'm not working! I got my wish to have a few months off and indeed its been nice, albeit worrisome financially. Today is the first day that I will be working the hours I've allotted myself to begin the stages of building my art business. This time is precious and the first few months it was pretty much all about getting settled, unpacking, and getting my trailer all situated. I love my trailer! It's so comfy and very 'home sweet home' feeling. Squatting on my friends property, I now can enjoy horses in my backyard! Yaaay! That's a biggie for me. I even rescued a neglected horse from next door. A 25 year old mare whose hooves were in horrible shape. She has a little arthritis, but moves around nicely enough and plays with the my friend's other two horses. Once she has good strong rock crushing barefoot hooves, I'm hoping to do some light riding with her. I've put her on some soaked beet pulp and flaxseed supplement that should help with her joints and movement. I can already see improvement.

With the increased activity level I've experienced since being here between moving and lifting heavy boxes, taking walks with my friend down the rural roads in our neighborhood, and taking care of horses, I've noticed a bit of toning going on. It's now on to eating better!

The last few months have been a whirlwind of fast food/restaurant eating. I've made some good choices and some bad choices; mostly bad. I'm back on track as of yesterday and feel pretty good about my meal plan I created for the next 3 weeks. I've given myself some IFing times, but I'm flexible enough that if I'm not hungry for any particular meal I can skip it.

Here's my plan for the day:

Breakfast
                        Coconut pancakes
                        Coconut shavings
                        blueberries
                        raspberries
                        light drizzle of maple syrup
                        mint green tea
                        (my word was this yummy!)

Lunch
                        Turkey Slices
                        tomato
                        romaine lettuce
                        avocado
                        hummus (I know GRAIN! but there are some foods that I just don't want to give up and this is one of them)
                        goat cheese
                        olive oil wrap

Dinner
                        Salmon
                        Green leafy salad

Snack (if I'm hungry enough)
                        Celery
                        Almond butter
                        handful of grapes

Work on art business in between.

Comment

I made tomatoes stuffed with ground bison and eggs today. Not too bad, but I doubt I'll be doing it again like the book. If I cook it again, I'm cooking the eggs over easy and then piling them on top. Broiling with the fresh eggs, I found at five minutes the tomatoes were already falling apart, but the eggs were not done to my liking. I don't mind runny yolk, but the white part I can't stand even a little runny and indeed this was the case. I ate it, but was gagging a bit.

trying again to get back on track. Old habits die hard! I have to treat my addiction to fast food just like that, an addiction. Remind myself whenever I get a craving for it that IT IS NOT WORTH the after effects! I have to make up in my mind that IT DOES NOT EXIST!

Feeling a little down today. It's nice not working, but worrisome to not work.

Comment

These times are rough for me right now. This 4th of July finds me in a new yet familiar residence, jobless and old habits have taken over the side of me that wants to be optimally healthy. I need to vent somehow to grasp my anguish and throw it out the window. It's ridiculous! Why do I indulge in this self destructive behavior? I'm hard on myself. I strive to see the person I am, that I want to be, to better myself for peace within and without. Yet, I continue to slip into fast food, laze about the house most days and struggle to get through daily living, continuing to disappoint myself. Not having a job is weighing heavily on my mind. It's stressful that this month's bills will be the last of my savings and I won't even be able to cover everything! It's scaring me and causing much stress, which only makes me reach for more comfort food, which I know in turn causes more ill feelings, both physically and emotionally. It's not healthy! One good thing that has happened as a result of my move is that through not much effort, my activity level has increased so I have noticed some toning and maybe an inch or two lost. Having to take care of horses, take care of the property and walking with my best friend at least twice a week, sometimes more, has been great in terms of head starting my exercise plans. Had I started eating healthier like I had planned to when first moving here, I know I could quite possibly be at least 20 pounds lighter by now. As it is now, the last time I weighed myself I was 167 which is 5 pounds lighter than the last time I weighed myself before that. Woohoo! Thank you activity!

All growing up, through my teen years and the beginning of my twenties I was never fat. I was perhaps not healthy skinny, but I didn't feel anything wrong with me, so I never felt I needed to change my diet then. Mostly I ate whatever my parents cooked which was a pretty staple diet of mom food. I was also a lot more active because of the jobs I held and where and how I lived. As I started veering away from mom food, I unwittingly began to indulge more and more often as the years went by in enjoying eating out; developing eating habits that today have been very hard for me to break. With acquiring office clerical jobs starting in 2000, the weight slowly crept up on me. Within 6 years I was 20 pounds heavier and in another 2 years another 20 pounds heavier where I have remained. But wait, as I think about this, I might be kidding myself on exactly how much I've gained. Working in the grocery store chains from 16 to 19, I rarely weighed myself, but those times I did I remember seeing 115 - 120 lbs on the scale. My weight never was an issue for me. It didn't really bother me much at all that when I weighed myself between the ages of 20-21 that I was 130 - 135 lbs. I never really thought about it then because I still looked good and I was comfortable! I really started becoming aware of my steady weight gain around my 4th main office job where I weighed 145 lbs. I wanted to start eating healthier, but it still wasn't a desperate thing for me to do. Plus the only thing I knew I needed to do then was to stop eating fast food, and to exercise more. I started occasionally, but never got into it and never really saw any weight loss. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started getting desperate to lose the weight I had gained. At that point I weighed 155 lbs. Then the move to Chicago really packed on another 20 lbs within 2 years and that's where I really began the research into finding how I could naturally lose the weight and sustain it. So my goal has always been to weigh 135 lbs again. I was comfortable there, but when I reach that point I may find my body naturally wants to find its ideal and maybe lose some more weight. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I found the Primal Blueprint in November 2010. For the last 8 months its been the one thing that I've been striving to adopt as a healthy lifestyle for me. So now I have 32 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.

Well despite all my complaining about past behavior and what my future will bring or trying blindly to control my future. I really shouldn't be worrying about the past or the future. What is the most important is that in this present moment, I'm making an effort to journal my thoughts however negative or positive, and know that I have a problem and also know how I can fix it. I'm feeling a little spark of motivation again, so now all I need do is throw in some kindling, and long slow burning wood to keep that fire burning. Is it difficult? Well no in all truth it really isn't. I only think it is and I know I can control my thoughts and change my attitude towards it. The hardest part is getting started, but I've taken another step forward for being in the forums again, and another step for eating a relatively healthy snack; Bumble Bar. (brunch was McDonald's). I think tuna steak is in order for dinner tonight.

website: Horse and animal artwork; DaynaCreations.com

Comment

Another month gone by. I'm now at 163 lbs woohoo! Again, it's all about the increased activity. Most days I eat pretty horribly, some days I practice IFing without even really planning it. I skip breakfast most days, eat a relatively heavy lunch, and something light for dinner, though some nights dinner is heavy too. It is most definitely the increased activity that has made me lose another 4 lbs in a month and that last 3 was just in the last week as the quality of food I'm eating is fast food mostly! So if I am really supposed to be 115 lbs, and at my heaviest I was 176, that means a 61 lb weight gain! Holy shit! Well that puts things into new perspective. Still my goal is to get down to 135 lbs. It is not as intimidating as 115 lbs, and I have 28 lbs to get there. Definitely doable!

I desperately need to go grocery shopping. I have a job now, working at Target; not glamorous but it's an income so I think I will risk it and go get a few things. I'm torn between getting conventional instead of primal because I want to shake this habit of eating out! To do that, if I have foods at home, I WANT to eat, I'll eat that instead of going out. Yet, I WANT to eat Primal! It's so easy to do, I know, just meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts seeds, healthy oil sources, some fruit, some dairy, water, and herb teas. SIMPLE!! SIMPLE!! SIMPLE!! I need an outside opinion...do I break the habit of eating out by having processed foods around or do I jump in feet first again for the umpteenth billionth time? This pattern has yet to yield results for me because I haven't let it. So frustrating!

website: Horse and animal artwork; DaynaCreations.com

Comment

Working...
                              X