Flaura eats Fauna (and fungi)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My, it has been awhile.

I am still eating mostly primal though. I have been excercizing more, especially more jogging/sprinting and walking. Still not doing a lot of weight-lifting. I am mostly writing to record that 4 months after starting the primal way of life I have FINALLY broken through my plateau, weight-wise.

For the last few months my weight has vacillated between about 153 and 155, almost always snapping back to 154 as if it were some kind of magic number. Well, I finally have dropped below 150!!! I am so happy. I know that 4 lbs is not that big to some people, but to me it is huge!!

Do you want to know what finally did it for me (speaking to my readership of 1 here, haha)?? I started listening to guided meditations! It was an emotional block, not a physical one. Or maybe it was both. I've always been a skeptic, but this is working, so I will not look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Well, that's all I got to report. I will try to keep up the journal as more developments become evident. Maybe someday I will even get around to adding photos. For now, I have a backpacking trip to look forward to!
    (field) journal
    primal start-weight (3/11): 154
    current weight (8/25/2012): 141

Comment

Good for you! It is very rewarding to reach those milestones. Keep it up.

Comment

This week I am weighing in at 148!! I am thrilled.

Still eating mostly primal- at least I am avoiding grains completely. It's summer so I've been having some cheats in the form of ice cream and limeade. And, of course, I am still drinking beer. I think the difference is that now I am eating intuitively and not obsessing about it too much, and I have a lot of other stuff to keep me busy with work and volunteering...so I'm not thinking about food that much. I have defnitely cut way back on my chocolate addiction as well.

Crossing my fingers that this keeps up...
        (field) journal

Comment

Surprise, surprise...just when I think I'm getting away with a "moderate" intake of sugar, minding the 20% rule etc...the sugar-monster sneaks back into my life. And now it is pretty easy for me to correlate the daily sugar intake with cravings, feeling cranky, and eventually, yeast infections. Yuck! It is time to clean up my act again.

On the bright side, cleaning up my diet is getting easier and easier every time I decide to do it. So far, I've got two days under my belt without sugar,fruit,grains, legumes, or alcohol. The only dairy I'm allowing right now is plain whole-milk yogurt, which I plan on phasing out fairly soon.
          (field) journal

Comment

I don't really know if I'm doing a 30 day challenge or not...but so far I'm half way through day 4 of my cleaned-up eating plan (no grains, no legumes, no sugar, no dairy except yogurt, and no alcohol). I feel like I should have a plan for how long this should last...but honestly, maybe it should last indefinitely. I know I'm eventually going to cave on alcohol at social events. But maybe the stricter paleo-primal way of eating is better suited to me. Thus far I don't feel like this is a hardship. I wasn't ready to be this strict back in March when I started my primal journey, but now I am ready.

Also, I sprinted this morning, it was exhilarating!

My weight is still hanging in at 148. But my measurements are a bit smaller than they were the last time I took them
            bust 37
            waist 29.5
            hip 38
            (field) journal

Comment

day 5
              148 lbs

I read through my journal a bit yesterday. It made me so happy that I had started it in the first place. The way I eat has changed a lot since March!! And my weight and measurements have changed a little, too. Here's to the next six months!!

I stopped journalling so much because it takes time and also it seemed sort of boring and obsessive to record everything I eat. I am now back to using Sparkpeople and so I'm thinking I might start recording it here again, as well. I find it to be useful information to be able to refer back to. I definitely saw some patterns emerge when I read back through what I had been eating. In the beginning I was a little scared of meat, that was not helpful at all. I ended up eating too many fruits. It is kind of a shocker how many carbs you can pile on in just a few servings of fruit. Also, I think that when I am eating intuitively I end up eating less than recommended amounts of protein and fat. I'm okay with that, I think it's normal for me. If I don't feel like eating a full 1500 calories then that is fine. It's not like I'm starving myself. I'm not counting calories in order to lose weight. I'm just tracking my food to keep my carbs under control and monitor my eating patterns.

So my resolution for the next six months is to eat primally according to my own body's needs and not according to what works for other people.

For the last 4 days I have kept my carbs below 50 grams. Today I woke up pretty sore from my sprint session yesterday so I decided to give my body a little carb-love in the form of fruit and nuts.

B: black coffee, 1/3 c. yogurt, 1/2 oz almonds
              L: coffee w/half&half, 1 banana with 1 TBSP almond butter, 1 C. grapes, 1 larabar
              S: 2 Tbsp. almond butter
              D: 5-6 oz of cod and a salad with spinach, tomato, cucumber, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

calories:1,219
              carbs:93
              fat: 72
              protein: 64
              Also I will probably do some walking today and hopefully some stretching. Some pushups, too if I feel motivated...
              Last edited by Flaura; 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM. Reason: what I had for dinner changed
              (field) journal

Comment

Yes, even apples and zucchini already have me at 45 grams of carbohydrate today. It's sneaky. Have you considered replacing that banana with an avocado? Similar nutritional profiles but fat instead of starch.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Hey Knifegill, I think you are onto something with the avocados, or alligator pears as I like to call them. They are expensive though! With that thought in mind I just went to Grocery Outlet and got a bag of about 8 tiny avocados for 3.99. They better be good. OH, and I too am very concerned about the PVC in my seafood

day 6
                  weight: 147.6

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs, black coffee
                  L: 2 tiny apples, 1.5 oz almonds, 1 tin kippered sardines
                  D: I'm guessing it's going to be about 4 oz beef with some type of primal BBQ sauce and another spinach salad with cucmber, tomato, olive oil, balsamic...

calories 1195
                  carbs 54
                  fat 70
                  protein 86

Maybe here I will also note that I'm taking a multivitamin, fish oil, calcium/magnesium, and sometimes D3 and herbs if I feel like I need them.
                  I've also been drinking perrier instead of beer. I kind of hate to admit it, because it makes me sound fancy or something...but it's cheaper than beer and has 0 calories.
                  (field) journal

Comment

Haha, this is ironic, I had a successful primal day on Day 7 (Sunday), then on Monday, the first day of the challenge, I had a complete failure of a day. It involved a mocha in the morning and 2 glasses of wine with dinner. Oh well...back on the wagon.

So I'm just going to consider last week a little practice/warmup for the challenge. Since everyone else is on day 2 I will call this day 2 as well.
                    My challenge: Primal eating with an emphasis on NO SUGAR, minimal dairy and minimal alcohol (as opposed to daily dairy and alcohol, which is the status quo). More Play. More regular primal excercize, eventually leading to being able to do a full pullup

I think I have everything else pretty well dialed in. I sleep plenty. I take a multivitamin, Fish oil, D3, and magnesium. I spend time in the sun when it's sunny.

Breakfast: 16 oz coffee with a couple TBSP half and half, 2 oz almonds
                    snack: yeba mate
                    (field) journal

Comment

Two glasses of wine doesn't sound so bad. (Don't look in my recycling bin)

Comment

I know, 2 glasses of wine isn't that bad. Especially since it was consume with good company and a homemade meal. I used to have 2 glasses every night...but drinking leads to eating more than I am truly hungry for, and that leads to no weight loss.

Yesterday(day 2)
                        L: 1/4 of a tomato, 1/3 cup cucumber slices, 2 slices of ham (probably about 4 oz)
                        S: 1/2 oz almonds
                        D: a banana, a bottle of mineral water

Calories: 733, Carb: 53, Fat: 43, Protein: 38

excercize: walk on the beach

I'm aware that this sort of makes me look like I'm not eating enough. Honestly (due to major PMSing) I was just not that hungry. I am trying to separate "I feel like crap" from "I feel like eating crap" and it is working.

Today (day 3)
                        B: 1 small fillet of some white fish (probably cod) sauteed in butter, 1 fried egg, 1 cup coffee w/half&half
                        L: 2 tiny apples, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 2 slices ham (maybe 4 oz)
                        S: yerba mate, oolong tea
                        D: stir fried veggies with shrimp and a thai coconut curry sauce
                        S: Larabar
                        calories: 1198, carb: 81, fat: 55, protein: 97

Before today is over I need to motivate myself to do some body-weight excercizes. It's that TOTM so my weight is up to 148.6 this morning.
                        Last edited by Flaura; 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM.
                        (field) journal

Comment

Day 4
                          B: 1 banana, 1/2 C. coconut milk
                          S: Americano w/ 2 TBSP half&half
                          L: 4 oz beef jerky, 4 cups coconut kefir
                          S: 1 plum, 1 oz cashews
                          D: stir fried veggies with shrimp and a thai coconut curry sauce

calories: 1621, carb: 116!!, fat: 109, protein: 73

No exercize got done yesterday, hoping to do some today. I also slept like crap. Life got hectic a little, so my food choices have been questionable. I've developed a newfound obsession with all things coconut. I think I may have to start ordering coconut milk by the case. I also forsee try an experiment in fermentation to make my own coconut kefir...big dreams!
                          (field) journal

Comment

Day 5
                            B: 1 fried egg, 3 slices bacon
                            S: 1.5 oz almonds
                            L: 1 c. grapes
                            D: ?

Still no excercize yesterday. Think I'm coming down with a cold. I would not be surprised. That's what TOTM + not enough sleep + too much work usually yields in my experience. I made chicken bone broth overnight. Going to try to motivate to make some chicken soup. Luckily weight was down to 147.6 this morning.
                            (field) journal

Comment

Hard to get the guts up to post this pic, but then again, no one is really reading my journal anyway, right? I think my arms have benefitted the most from this primal endeavor. So unladylike, though.
                              Last edited by Flaura; 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM.
                              (field) journal

Comment

Oh good, the picture didn't post itself anyway, haha. I was just trying to show the little bit of muscle definition in my arms...

Day 5
                                D: 1 apple, 2 oz beef jerky, some chicken scraps while I was making soup, 1/3 C. chocolate mousse (avocado, banana, coconut milk, and cocoa blended together, chilled, with sea salt sprinkled on top)

Exercize: walking to and from work (3 mi total)

Day 6
                                B: 1/2 C. Chocolate mousse
                                S: 12 oz. Breve
                                L: 2 oz. Beef jerky, 1 lara bar, 3 dried prunes,
                                D: 2 oz. Beef jerky

Excercize: a few sets of: pushups, "pullups", squats, and planks

Day 7
                                B: 1 handful dried apricots, 1/2 C. chocolate mousse,
                                L: green salad w/ Balsamic and EVOO, 4 oz. Beef in primalish homemade BBQ sauce
                                D: ?
                                Exercise: brief jog to and from track, sprinting session

Feeling a little crazy/neurotic recently. Almost more like an overall dissatisfaction with my life. Thinking it's stemming from 1)being overworked and 2)needing to get laid.

I took some "during" pictures yesterday. I don't really have the guts to post them. I am happy with a slightly slimmer upper half and more muscle definition in the arms, but I am still really disgusted with my thighs. I know I'm making progress, but it is so damn slow.

Still haven't really told the SO about me "being primal". Even after being together 9 months! I feel like he is either just going to think it's a crazy diet or that I am neurotic. Maybe both are things are true. I am spending a lot of time alone, cooking and eating alone, because that is just easier. I do feel a lot healthier since making the transition to primal, and I want him to be healthier, too. I don't foresee that happening any time soon. Not to mention that the long distance thing is so hard in so many ways. It turns out that he is losing his job, but he doesn't want to move down here, and I'm not sure if I even want him to move down here either. But I feel like I should want him move in with me.

What also is not helping is the fact that I saw an old friend yesterday and she is married and pregnant with twins!! I feel like such a spinster/old maid. I'm feeling sort of alienated from my family and sense of community right now. And it's Sunday, and I don't want to be at work, but I am.

At least my primal eating and primal workouts have been good lately. One less thing to worry about.
                                (field) journal

Comment

Working...
                                X