No announcement yet.

Flaura eats Fauna (and fungi)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Day 7 I was back on the wagon, and then there was Day 8 (yesterday) which started on a high note and just took a nosedive from there.
    Day 8
    B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 C. black coffee
    S: peanut m&ms (Why?)
    D: 8 oz white wine, more turkey curry chili stuff, caesar salad, 1 slice bread (why?)with butter of course
    D: huckleberry buckle with icecream (why, why,why???)

My friend/roommate/landlordlady decided she was going to cook dinner and dessert, and use my huckleberries in a buckle recipe that involved lots of sugar and flour. I worked a ton yesterday and didn't pack a lunch so m&ms for lunch (STUPID). If I just had wine with dinner I wouldn't have felt so bad. It was the m&ms, bread and dessert that really make me mad.
    Anyway, feel junky today.

Day 9
    B: 1 cup black coffee, 2 slices bacon, 1 cup yerba mate
    L: Turkey curry chili stuff
    D: 2 boiled eggs, some salami slices, 1 pear, some Kombucha
    S: a piece of cheese, 2 olives, 2 slices ham with cream cheese on them all rolled up, 3 pieces salt water taffy
    Last edited by Flaura; 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM.
    (field) journal
    primal start-weight (3/11): 154
    current weight (8/25/2012): 141

Comment

• So I'm back to that point where I think "what am I counting for?" cause none of my goals are sticking.

I still want to stop the sugar addiction, but it seems near impossible to avoid all sugars and still eat around other people. I think I could give up one thing at a time, but to break the sugar addiction I think I have to give it all up. Including dairy, yes. For awhile anyway.

This means forming new habits. I was listening to Fresh Air on NPR recently and heard an interview about changing habits. One thing I took away from that interview is that it's easier to change habits when you have a break in your routine, vacations or moving to a new home, for example. Which is fortuitous because I'm going to be moving, in 3 days (Holy shit). So maybe all I will have to do is make sure that the first few days in my new home are sugar free and that will be enough to change my habits. Actually the first day in my new place I am going to have a drink to celebrate. But after that....

Today yogurt seemed like the most expedient way to get protein for breakfast.

B: greek yogurt, 1 tangerine
      S: Yerba Mate
      (field) journal

Comment

• I'm baaack. Well, Mostly just to compare notes

The last measurements I could find in my journal were from September 2011
        weight 148 lbs
        bust 37"
        waist 29.5"
        hip 38"
        arm 11"

As of Today:
        weight 141 lbs
        bust 36"
        waist 30"
        hip 39"
        arm 10.5"

To summarize my absence:
        I moved across the state to live with my man (haven't lived with a man since I was 21).
        I almost immediately lost 7 lbs.
        I got a job doing a lot of physical work in the field which may account for some of the weight loss.
        I cut out a lot of the chocolate and sugar. I probably just eat less period.
        I get more sun.
        I get more play.
        I'm WAY HAPPIER!!!!

I'm still (shockingly) not 100% primal (whatever that means these days). I probably have eaten more grains since moving than I did on my own. We kind of like to party around here, too, so lots of alcohol is consumed very regularly.

Looking forward:
        I would like to clear up some of the digestive issues I've recently started experiencing.
        I need to start adjusting my lifestyle to maintain/continue the weight loss through the winter which will involve a lot more desk-time/indoor time most likely.

Goals:
        reduce grains and dairy and alcohol,
        add yoga and walking to the routine (on desk days),
        start taking herbs to balance doshas (aka yoga voodoo shit)
        (field) journal

Comment

• This weekend the man is away. I am using this time to rest and regroup. I have done a lot of moving around slowly around the house and garden doing chores.

Saturday I woke up early. Weighed in at 141. Took a bath in the early morning, later I had black coffee and greek yogurt for breakfast. Did recycling and grocery shopping. Had some chai tea (made with milk and honey)with turmeric, and a tuna salad for dinner. I also had some mineral water with HWC for snack/dessert. I did a lot of laundry and house chores. I spent a significant portion of the day on the computer, which did not feel very primal. At least I got to relax after a stressful week. Went to bed around 10.

Sunday I woke up around 6. I weighed in at 138 mysteriously. I used my neti pot in the morning, it seems to help me with some congestion, but I still have a bit of post-nasal drip.don't know if this is food related or not. Did my morning chores, then had Italian sausage for breakfast along with a zucchini which I sliced up and sauteed in olive oil with cayenne, turmeric and other spices. I felt very proud of having veggies for breakfast. I did some yard work and in the late morning I had half a papaya. Chicken breast for lunch. Kippered herring for snack, along with some iced tea, carrots, and a couple cherry tomatoes that had just ripened. I washed some of the cars and put the chickens in for the night and then I came in for dinner which was a bit of liver with onion (sauteed in butter). I also had a bit of sake with dinner. I still felt pretty lethargic. I also felt worried and angry for periods of the day. I'm glad to have this time to check back in with myself. It's almost 9:30, time for bed!

I am counting calories elsewhere. I don't have a daily goal for calories. Mostly I just enter my data so I can refer back and see the trend. I've decided I'm done with having a journal that reads: Food: blablabla, Exercize: blablabla. It lacks personality, doesn't tell the whole lifestyle story. I've learned over the last few months that the lifestyle may be more important than the diet. It's at least equally important.
          (field) journal

Comment

• ug, I wrote a post and it all went away! Poo...

In summary: I weighed in at 138 again, which is awesome. I used my neti this morning and I also took my probiotics. I had eggs for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, carrots and peaches for a snack, turmeric tea, and a huge steak with greens and huckleberries for dinner. Food was awesome! No cravings, no emotional eating. I feel balanced. I worked in an air conditioned office all day. I spent some time outside when I got home. I'm worried about my metabolism at this job. I'm a bit concerned I might have low-level inflammation as I am often congested and my eyes are often reddish.
            Overall awesome though!
            (field) journal

Comment

• I woke up later this morning, 6:30. Weighed 139. Ran around doing my morning chores and didn't have time to pack a lunch. Had coffee and bone broth for breakfast.

For lunch I got a hot dog with sauerkraut and tomatoes (I threw out the bun). I also had a coffee on ice with cream (which ended up being terrible, but I drank it anyway). I ate a tomato at work too. Again, it was an 8 hour day of sitting in an air conditioned office.

I went to the butcher shop after work, which made me immensely happy. The meat is local and way better than Safeway, the prices are great and the nice man at the counter threw the beef heart in for free. I forgot to get beef fat for rendering and dog bones, darnit.

At home I had a drink (bourbon on ice) and I had leftover liver and onions. The dogs got the last two little pieces of liver cause I couldn't handle it anymore. I am determined to like liver. I am going to try that meatball recipe from the blog maybe tomorrow. I rewarded myself with the other half of the papaya I had a couple days ago, I sprinkled it with cinnamon and honey.

Now I'm drinking iced green tea and thinking about embarking on another kitchen project, see, I have about 10 lbs of peaches sitting on my counter about to go bad...
              (field) journal

Comment

• Woke up just before the alarm went off at 6. Weighed 139. Had time to make turmeric tea for breakfast using half a can of coconut milk. Sooo good. And filling. In fact I didn't have anything else, not even coffee. I packed a half-assed lunch (a boiled egg, an apple, a couple carrots), scrambled around feeding the animals and got to work.

Another day in the office, except today I ate my lunch at my desk (quickly) and used my "lunchbreak" to take a walk. I felt very good about the decision and hope to keep it up. I crashed hard after that. So hard to stay focused. Decided to buy some primal snacks and coffee to keep in my desk for future crashes. *Possible TMI: It also became apparent, while I was at the office, that I was ovulating. Since going primal I spot when I ovulate.*

I had a drink after work, whiskey on the rocks. Dinner was steak and sauteed swiss chard with huckleberry balsamic syrup over it. I didn't finish the steak this time.
                Did a couple cooking projects this evening. I used the liver from earlier in the week and made offal meatballs like Mark's recipe on the blog. I lowered the ratio of liver to ground meat though. I tried one and it wasn't bad. I could still taste the liver though. We'll see if a sauce improves it...

I also took the five-ish pounds of peaches a friend brought me and made a peach-bourbon-chipotle BBQ sauce. I am going to can it tomorrow after the flavors have settled a bit.

I am excited to see my man tomorrow; although, it has been nice to have this brief period to reflect...
                (field) journal

Comment

• The liver meatballs turned out awesome, for the record. Definitely making that recipe again.

*TMI* The "spotting" was not ovulation, it was menstruation, how could I be so out of tune with my own cycle? and where, oh where did the last month go?*

Since the man has been back I have been getting lots of exercise doing projects around the house. I even did some yoga yesterday morning and some pushups and squats. However, I have also been drinking lots of beer and eating corn chips and waffles and shit like that. I did see 137 on the scale about 3 days ago; but this morning I am all fat and bloated again This is hard. I know it is my choice what I eat, but sometimes there is too much peer pressure around here. Something is going to have to change.
                  (field) journal

Comment

• This is probably not the most adult solution to the problem, but it may work for now...I've challenged my man to a weight-loss duel. I think we could both stand to lose somewhere between 10 and 15 lbs...so we are going to weigh in every morning for 30 days and whomever has lost the most (as a percentage of overall body weight) wins $75.34! This is day 3 and so far I am down 1.4 lbs. Probably water. I'm actually a little disappointed with this number because I have been eating well and exercising a ton! I hiked around for 5 hours yesterday. I'm sure it will all pay off eventually.
                    (field) journal

Comment

• This weekend sucked food and drink wise. I had lost almost 2.5 lbs last week, and as of this morning I have gained most of it back. I am so pissed. Too much beer, alcohol in general and grains. For the record, it was NOT worth it

This morning I'm back to the program. I sprinted and had bacon and eggs and black coffee for breakfast.
                      (field) journal

Comment

• Another week of eating fairly well, another weekend of eating anything and everything. Overall weight is less than last monday, but not where I want to be. Some weight could be muscle as I have been sprinting 1x per week, and a lot of walking around at a slow pace, and I have been doing body weight exercises such as pushups and squats. Go Me!! Finally getting my fitness on.

This week I'm getting back into yoga (so excited). Also maybe avoiding alcohol during the week? I will work on tightening up the diet on the weekdays for now...

So far today I have sprinted, and had my breakfast which consisted of coffee with cream, 2 eggs, and 2 slices bacon. It never really gets old.
                        (field) journal

Comment

• Why do my replies keep deleting? I hate you computer!

Okay, in summary: we are halfway through our competition, I am down 2 lbs from the start, Hot Yoga is awesome and I am going to do it regularly. New Goal: sub-130 lbs by the end of the year (losing 1 lb. per week).
                          Last edited by Flaura; 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM. Reason: stupid computer keeps deleting my posts
                          (field) journal

Comment

Working...
                          X