Alicias Goin' Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alicias Goin' Primal

Hello, this is where I will share my journey of my new primal lifestyle. I switched my way of eating on Thursday, March 17. I have been pretty successful so far. This past Saturday is the only day I didn't follow the rules (oh, except for Diet Coke) and ate some carbs. I ate some pizza with my husband, and it was a planned "cheat."

I am going to take photos every Thursday, so I have a motivator to stay on track. My biggest struggle right now is Diet Coke. I have a couple cans left in a 12-pack, and after that it's NO MORE DC for this girl. I have to stop!

4 months ago, 9 months prego!

Today, 3-27-11, 10 days on Primal.

Last edited by alicias; 04-14-2011, 06:33 PM.
    My Journal

Wow! Considering you just had a baby you look great!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I am frustrated today! Here is my intake:

Calories: 1038
      Fat: 74.2 grams - 64%
      Protein: 60.9 grams - 24%
      Carbs: 35.8 grams - 13%

So, those are not good!! My cals are way low, my fat is WAY high, and my protein is low!! I don't know how to fix this with what I have in my fridge, freezer, or pantry!! I know this is awful but I am considering just making a protein shake. Is that a good idea?

This is what I ate today:
      B: 3 whole eggs, 1 apple
      D: Pork Chop, Almonds
      S: Ground beef patty, onions, brocolli

Perhaps tomorrow I will have two eggs at breakfast instead of 3. That will get my fat down a bit. I need to get something higher protein to balance my day better. Even though my cals are low, I am not hungry at all. I don't know what to think. If anyone reads this I'd love some input.

Tonight I was going to do some weight lifting. I'll update that later.
      My Journal

Comment

Ok, I had a protein shake...

Here is my daily total:
        Calories: 1168
        Fat: 75.7 grams (58%)
        Protein: 84.9 grams (29%)
        Carbs: 39.8 grams (13%)

Is my fat intake too high??????
        My Journal

Comment

I have been doing some research online as to how I can do Crossfit at home. I am completely jealous of anyone that has access to a gym that does this! I live 2.5 hours away from the closest place that does. I found this info about building a home crossfit gym for $1000.00.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ners_Guide.pdf

I specifically like this:

"A thousand dollars. That is way too much for me. Most of my gym was donated, but let me add a few extras:
          1. A variety of heavy rocks or boulders for doing sprints while carrying said rock. Throw ‘em, too.
          2. A big military duffel bag filled with bags of rock salt. Rock salt is for your water softener, so the whole thing might cost 6 bucks for the salt and $20 for the duffel at an army surplus store. Shoulder this and walk a long way with it.
          3. Some plywood (borrowed... vow to return) and a few pieces of 2 X 4 for a platform. A couple of pieces of rubber matting for where the plates hit. You can also use old car mats.
          4. Discarded wheelbarrow shell. Loop a rope through the holes and you have a sled...
          Go cheap.
          - Danny John"

I also pulled some info from this website:
          http://michaelashcroft.net/wp-conten...cf-program.pdf

2-week beginner crossfit program at home. I guess you have to start somewhere right?!

Also, I feel lean this morning. Even after being upset about my intake yesterday. So it couldn't have been all that bad, could it?

On my list of things to do today are take a long walk and buy some coconut and olive oil.
          My Journal

Comment

Intake was pretty good yesterday. I feel lean. Here it goes:

Calories: 1483
            Fat: 108.2 grams (63%)
            Protein: 81.8 grams (23%)
            Carbs: 55 grams (14%)

I am so tired this morning. My 4-month old was up several times last night and I think I got about 5 hours asleep.
            My Journal

Comment

Oh, and photos tomorrow. I'm going to try to make a habit of posting photos every Thursday.
              My Journal

Comment

Here is my intake for today:

Calories: 1,101
                Fat: 67.1 grams (55%)
                Protein: 90.8 grams (34%)
                Carbs: 35 grams (11%)

OK, in my opinion my calories are low! Except the thing is I don't feel hungry!! Should I be concerned about the low cals? Someone please help.

I'm going to give my little guy a bath now and then go run some sprints. It's my first time doing sprints, so I'm nervous!!
                My Journal

Comment

WTH!!! I just got in from running sprints, took a shower, and while I was blow drying my hair a bunch fell out!! What??!! That has never happened before.
                  My Journal

Comment

I got some help over on the nutrition board from some wonderful ladies. They attributed my hair loss to my recent pregnancy. I do forget that my body has been to hell and back in the last year. From pregnancy, to labor, to recovery that is a lot going on. And it was only 4 months ago. Whew, do I feel better now!

As promised, here are my photos for today.

Weight: 132 lbs
                    Height: 5'6"
                    Waist: 27"
                    Hips: 36.5"

I have a little ways to go. I want more muscle definition. I feel great though!!
                    My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by alicias View Post
                      I am frustrated today! Here is my intake:

Calories: 1038
                      Fat: 74.2 grams - 64%
                      Protein: 60.9 grams - 24%
                      Carbs: 35.8 grams - 13%

So, those are not good!! My cals are way low, my fat is WAY high, and my protein is low!! I don't know how to fix this with what I have in my fridge, freezer, or pantry!! I know this is awful but I am considering just making a protein shake. Is that a good idea?
                      Your fat isn't way too high. For ideal fat loss, your fat intake should be 60-75% of your total calories. Your calories are far too low in my opinion, though. I would assume at that level, most weight loss would be due to muscle loss. I would skip the protein shake unless it's immediately following a workout because both whey and casein protein spike insulin levels far higher than even sugar. It won't elevate your blood glucose (assuming it's mixed in water), but I'd stick to post-workout only to maximize the chances that your insulin is shuttling amino acids to muscles and not glucose to fat cells.

I would think you'd want to consume more like 1500-1700 calories a day, but high calories matter little at very high levels of dietary fats and low levels of dietary carbs. I'm 5'7", 145lb and I consume ~2,800 calories a day. Any calorie calculator will tell you I'm eating too much and should be gaining weight. However, I'm down 3 pounds and fell from 14% BF to 12.4% BF in 2 months. Under a normal American diet where insulin levels are highly elevated, your body is constantly processing glucose and fat isn't oxidized, so calories matter. Excess food will go into fat storage. However, high calories matter little on low carb/high fat because your body is constantly oxidizing and processing fat and insulin levels are low, so your body doesn't efficiently shuttle fat into fat sells. You CAN get fat off of a primal diet because there is always insulin in your blood shuttling nutrients around, but since levels are so much lower, it's much more difficult to accumulate enough excess calories to be stored as fat.

So, in short, eat more to preserve your muscle and as long as you're eating 60%-75% fat and 10% carbs or less, you should be fine. I'd say try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, but a 60-75% fat intake ratio should have so much meat, it should eliminate the need to count protein grams or take protein shakes.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

ChocoTaco369 - Thank you SO MUCH for your input. That was the help I was needing. I do need to get more calories in. For breakfast today I added a chicken leg to my usual meal, so that was a good start. I am going to add a little more to lunch and supper as well. Thank you again for your input. I checked out your 12 week primal challenge by the way. You look great!
                        My Journal

Comment

WTH!!! I just got in from running sprints, took a shower, and while I was blow drying my hair a bunch fell out!! What??!! That has never happened before.
                          Eat more calories. Start taking a B-100 pill. Start taking a biotin. I take them every day and my hair is thicker than when I was in high school.

I really think you're starving yourself. Your calories are terribly low. Note that eating very low carb severely impacts your intake of vegetables, and if you don't take a vitamin supplement, you could fall into malnutrition. Hair will be the first thing to go. I take this every day:

1 multi-vitamin
                          1 vitamin C
                          1 green tea
                          1 fish oil
                          1 flax seed oil (I'd like to take 3 fish oil a day but I'm sensitive and it makes me break out)
                          1 biotin
                          1 B-100
                          1 zinc
                          1 acetyl L-carnatine
                          1 L-arganine
                          1 vitamin D-3
                          1 stinging nettle leaf
                          1 resveratrol

You should try and get a green salad (I do 4 cups of lettuce, 2 cups of spinach, a whole green bell and a jalapeno at least) a day in there for your carbs and vitamins/minerals. I doubt you're eating organ meats, and while kidneys, liver, hearts and brain are full of nutrients, muscle meat like roasts, chops, loins and breasts are practically all protein with little vitamins and minerals.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

ChocoTaco369 - Thank you SO MUCH for your input. That was the help I was needing. I do need to get more calories in. For breakfast today I added a chicken leg to my usual meal, so that was a good start. I am going to add a little more to lunch and supper as well. Thank you again for your input. I checked out your 12 week primal challenge by the way. You look great!
                            Haha, thanks. I like this lifestyle. I do miss pasta, but I eat like a horse and lose fat. Go figure!

Comment

+1 on what ChocoTaco said. Definitely up the fat and calorie intake (coming from someone who used to have an ED; and don't be afraid of having a "fatty" diet lol - mine ranges anywhere from 65-75% fat on a daily basis and I haven't gained an ounce)

Your pictures look awesome and it's great that you are feeling awesome as well. With a little experimentation in customizing your foods for what makes you feel the best, you'll be golden
                              My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

Working...
                              X