Alicias Goin' Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alicias View Post
    OK, according to this body fat calculator, my bf% is 22.5%. Cool, I'll take it!! I'd like to get down to 19 or 20.
    That seems very accurate, if not a little high based on how you look. I believe the Navy's equation is usually a little conservative and it puts you on the high side. Just know that as a female, once you start getting under 14% or so, you start losing essential fat, meaning fat starts coming out of your organs and it's very unhealthy. A body fat percentage of 17-18% or so in a female is like 8% in a male, so you'd be pretty damn ripped. It sounds like a lot of body fat, I know, but it isn't for a woman.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Good to know about the really low body fat percentage. I have no desire to get that low, yikes!!

Well, I think I'm going to go for a walk, have a great night primal forums!
      My Journal

Comment

I just stir-fried a california blend of vegetables in bacon grease. OH. MY. GOSH. AHHHmazing!!
        My Journal

Comment

Well, yesterday turned out to be an awful free-for-all. I started out strong, but attended an anniversary party later that night that was catered, and the food was incredible. I don't want to go in to details, but I'm not proud!!

Today was much better. I'm right on track!

Calories: 1326
          Fat: 75 grams (52.71%)
          Protein: 115 grams (35.85%)
          Carbs: 37 grams (11.54%)
          My Journal

Comment

Can one bad slip up really cause so much damage??? As stated above, I had a bad evening Saturday with food. I really messed up at an anniversary party. Yesterday I was spot-on. Last Thursday I weighed myself at 132. This morning I was 138!!! Are you serious!? Can one big old cheat meal cause that much damage??

I know, I need to throw the scale out and quit checking every day. Does anyone else have experience with this?
            My Journal

Comment

I am going to destroy my scale when I get home. I need to quit weighing myself. It's so stupid. I came across this great thread which helped me a lot.
              For my female grokettes...
              My Journal

Comment

I also want to post this IF link here so I have this for future reference.

IF

Does anyone out there have anything to say about IFing?
                My Journal

Comment

Today's Nutrition Totals:

Cals: 1598
                  Fat: 99 grams (52%)
                  Protein: 89 grams (21%)
                  Carbs: 117 grams (28%)

So my day was a little off. I had too many carbs in the evening. I feel like the last 2.5 weeks I've been doing pretty good overall, but I feel fatter. My stomach feels gross this morning. I was feeling pretty good I guess up until my binge this weekend at the party. UGG
                  My Journal

Comment

Well, I had a learning experience this last week. After 2.5 weeks of primal, I strayed. And can I tell you that I am kind of glad I did? I have never felt more disgusting, puffy, bloated, and gross feeling in my life. While following the primal lifestyle for those 2.5 weeks, I felt lean and strong. Going off primal taught me a lesson. I feel like crap when I don't eat this way!!
                    My Journal

Comment

So to get back into it, I'm trying to get into ketosis. I read a bunch on a thread about getting into ketosis. Someone suggested doing Atkins 2 week induction. I am going to do that the best I can but with a primal twist. Today I am at 18 net carbs, so that's good since I should stay below 20 net carbs.
                      My Journal

Comment

Hey, Alicia. I received your message in my email, but I can't find it on the forum. Yeah, I'm still a novice when it comes to forum knowitall so please excuse.
                        When I was dieting for the competition, what worked for me was carb cycling. High, low, no, and repeat. Some people respond with a few low days and then none and back to a high. It's highly suggested to have a high(er) carb day with a heavy lift day or high intensity workout. I did longer IFs also (16-20 hrs) and threw in some morning cardio fasted. It took about 4 weeks to get to a lower % once I was already at 18% so it's not something that happens quickly. I'm generally in the low 20s anyway and 18% itself took 4 weeks of carb cycling.

I'll give you some food ideas, but I warn you that I'm not an interesting cook. I suck basically. I'd grill chicken and roast or boil green beans, then throw on some balsamic vinegar so SOME flavor. I am very basic when I lean out so it's grilled meat and roasted vegs generally or just over a salad (greens only). It's not fun, but higher carb days did have a sweet potato after a workout and that's about it other than veggies. The last 2 weeks, my calories were kept between 1300 - 1500 calories depending on the high/low/no day. I'm sorry I don't have a better guideline, but I was winging it myself. Keep your sodium low to keep off some water weight, too.

BUT try the ketosis route and see how that works for you and maybe try the cycling if you want another avenue.

Comment

Thanks for the info!! My food choices sound pretty close to yours are far as complexity goes, which means not complex or exciting at all! lol!

I had a bad carb headache last night and into this morning. As the day goes on it gets easier and less annoying. Today and yesterday were challenging because I am helping my boss get his new restaurant set up. That means testing out food on the new equipment! Yesterday I had to turn down mashed potatoes, beef with gravy, mozzarella sticks, and basically any appetizer you can dream of. Today I turned down freshly baked cake with sour cream frosting, carmel rolls, chocolate chip cookies, croissants with cheese, homemade potato dumpling soup, well, you get the idea! The one thing I did sample was a baked chicken drumstick. It was delicious. I have proved to myself that I have an iron will, I just need to keep it up!
                          My Journal

Comment

Here is my food % for the last two days:

Tuesday April 12:
                            F: 59% (67 grams)
                            P: 33% (84 grams)
                            C: 9% (18 net grams)

Wednesday April 13:
                            F: 53% (69 grams)
                            P: 41% (122 grams)
                            C: 6% (16 net grams)

I am starting to feel good about myself again. I see some definition in my ab area and I don't feel puffy.
                            My Journal

Comment

I should mention, my headache is gone! Thank goodness!!
                              My Journal

Comment

Here are my totals from today. I am sure my calories look low to some, but I really am not hungry. I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I must be in ketosis. I have a tough weekend ahead of me. I am traveling with my husband and son to my brothers house and there is going to be food galore. Hopefully I will stay strong and eat meat all weekend. I know how disappointed I'll feel if I slip up!!! I can do this!!!

This morning the scale said 136. Much better than the 139 it said a few days ago. YES, I went from 133 to 139 in one week of not following this WOE. So not cool!!! Definitely a learning experience!!
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X