No announcement yet.

Step away from my bacon - the primal frolicks of climbergirl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the journal scene (such as it is), climbergirl! Enjoy it! Looking forward to reading more.

<wishes he was in the NYC area to go to the meet-up>
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
      Yeah after a certain point you want to watch fat, but dropping carbs does work to budge off the fat. I've been pimping this link out a fair bit, so here goes again: CrossFit On a Low Carb Paleo Diet: Mat Lalonde Reporting I'm going to dabble with some VLC to see what's what. I won't be doing carb re-feeds for at least two weeks straight (harder than it sounds, I'm surrounded by yummy taters) but shooting for three weeks to a month of reduced carb to see how my body reacts. The menu the guy posts has a lot of coconut (fat) which he credits with fending off insulin resistance (in the muscles, a different kind of IR) and helping with the fat loss... It's paleo, so no dairy, so I'm also going to try to give that a shot. I already started by putting coconut milk in my tea and it's not too terrible. I think the SOURCE of fat is important, so non-dairy is better than dairy.
      i've been doing my best to reduce/remove dairy from my diet but i still have a bit of yogurt left so i'm just taking it as it comes... but i agree, the source of the fat IS important! i've known this for a long time but have just been plain ass stubborn/bratty about giving it up LOL i LOVE coconut (duh, can you tell by the screen name? LOL)... coconut EVERYTHING i say... hah! also, thanks for the link--Patrick actually linked me via you!

at this point, i'm just taking things day by day... a little bit of planning here and there so i don't end up overeating, etc but otherwise just doing my best NOT to obsess... i've been on a slippery slope with food and have been working hard to overcome a few struggles so i'm doing my best to take care of myself--all while trying to accomplish my personal health/fitness goals! it's a bit of a challenge but reading articles like the one you linked me to, etc definitely helps
      live mindfully.
      she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

Definitely agree with the coconut love (as I sit here munching on shredded coconut lol). The VLC looks interesting - what is it exactly? I'm trying to make my fat sources less dairy based and more meat and coconut based. Course that's hard when the DINING HALL HAS NO BEEF. A$$holes... depriving me of my MEAT.

As far as today goes, I'm scarily below average in terms of food consumption - I think my DailyPlate tracker thing has me somewhere between 1000 and 1100 cals. But strangely enough I feel fine/aren't all that hungry. Hmmm. And I don't want to just snack on stuff to meet a calorie "goal" - I just find it interesting that I can scarf down 2900 one day and 1100 another yet feel the same. In terms of working out, just riding around campus on my uber cool hipster road bike (yes, I'm one of THOSE people haha) and I did this 300 rep timed workout thing of 10 exercises (30 of each) which took about 20 minutes and left me a bit sore (30 pullups - OW much?). Taking a day off from the climbing wall considering my back and shoulders are achy - that and I have homework. Urggg. But I WILL BE BACK tomorrow!
        My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

Ok, scratch the calorie deficit lol. I just polished off a sizable amount of macadamia nuts.
          My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

Originally posted by climbergirl View Post
            Ok, scratch the calorie deficit lol. I just polished off a sizable amount of macadamia nuts.
            Yeah, that's a reason I personally ditched nuts. One episode of Community or Big Bang Theory and without realizing it, 2-4 handfuls of nuts later... well... Doh'eth!

I find nuts are great for a day out and about, but can be brutal if you're just hanging out. Just my experiences with 'em. I do love me some almonds, though.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

I hid my remaining mac nuts... they're not safe being easily accessible lol. And ditto on the almonds - you just can't eat one either!

Today was one of those lazy, rainy, miserable cold days where you question whether or not it actually IS spring. And I decided to ride my bike in it. BADDD IDEA. Resulted in a wet arse and skunk stripe. Very fashionable. Breakfast was a three egg omelet in COCONUT OIL (I got some interesting looks at the dining hall when I showed up with that lol) with peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, tomato and bacon with some hot sauce, a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese, and a slice of pork roll (heavenly chorus of yummmms). Hungry a few hours later and snacked on a HB egg, one of those mini babybel cheeses, and about a tbsp of pesto sauce mixed with some fage yogurt. Exercise has just been going around campus on the bike, though I stepped into the rec center for the first time in ages and did a little rowing and some sprints just to mess around. Going climbing later tonight (!!!!).

Comment

yep--my bag of mac nuts are in a box low to the ground... i actually haven't had the urge to eat them lately--but the trouble only comes when i START eating them... it's insane! LOL i measure it out and eat the "appropriate" amount but then it's like i have to stay away from it like crack until the urge to eat more of them dissipates lol

have fun tonight!
                live mindfully.
                she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

Yep, it's not that hard to resist them, it's when I decide to eat a handful... it turns into multiple handfuls lol.
                  And thanks! The wall was fun; did some harder routes that I was able to nail, though my arms are sore. Did a few pull-ups as well. Ow. Shoulders and back were complaining on that one haha.

On a separate note, I did one of those online body fat calculators out of curiosity (though this one was using a tape measure, not calipers):
                  Body Fat Calculator 6 formulas to calculate body fat percentage
                  Body fat: 11.46%
                  Lbs of body fat: 11.12
                  Lean body mass: 85.88

Interesting... I got a free one with calipers about a month and a half ago and I came in at 12.3% BF. Not like either of these are perfect but still. I wonder if I'm actually dropping fat. Prob not a good thing considering mine is a bit low to begin with.

Comment

It's April!!! Well it has been for the past three days, I'm just a little late. Which means... MY BIRTHDAY IS IN A FEW DAYSSS!!!! WOOOO!!!!!

Okays, now that that's out of the way (lol), I'm making a resolution. I've been feeling like crap for the past few days in terms of mood and food. Therefore, I'm going to cut back on my dairy (luckily the only stuff dairy-related I have is a tub of Fage, which takes me FOREVER to get through anyways) and see how I feel. I've also been suffering from mindless eating. Ugh, stomach is not happy from that. I need to have better self control instead of just giving in. I'm better than that - c'mon. It's a new day, a new week. Let's do this.

Comment

It's April!!! Well it has been for the past three days, I'm just a little late. Which means... MY BIRTHDAY IS IN A FEW DAYSSS!!!! WOOOO!!!!!
                      I'll wish you a happy birthday now since I"m liable to forget!

I'm making a resolution. I've been feeling like crap for the past few days in terms of mood and food. Therefore, I'm going to cut back on my dairy (luckily the only stuff dairy-related I have is a tub of Fage, which takes me FOREVER to get through anyways) and see how I feel. I've also been suffering from mindless eating. Ugh, stomach is not happy from that. I need to have better self control instead of just giving in. I'm better than that - c'mon. It's a new day, a new week. Let's do this.
                      Get 'er done, climbergirl!

One thing that helps is having good foods on hand for when those hunger pangs/cravings hit. It's also best to drink some water first and see if that doesn't do it for ya. The stomach is a devious thing, after all. G'luck to ya, eh!

Comment

If only everyday were like today... it finally felt like SPRING!!!! Sun was shining, birds were singing, temps were in the mid 70s... ah! Ce la vie (please pardon my horrible attempt at french lol)

Anyways, I did wonderful on my first day of less dairy, etc. Now I just have to stick with it. There's the challenge for me, however I WILL pull through!
                        Got up early-ish this morning and went running, which is something I haven't done in a while. Not the most primal of exercises, but I find that a nice jog in the morning helps clear my head and achieves some inner peace. I like inner peace. Therefore I run. I did sprint the finish though, so there's a little redemption. Went to class, ate/finished breakfast around 11 - salad topped with olive oil, two hardboiled eggs dipped in butter and three pieces of canadian bacon (close enough). More classes, then ate dinner around 5ish. Compared to breakfast it was heaven! Flat iron steak, broccoli and asparagus (all topped in butter), some guacamole and a hardboiled egg, and salad with tuna and olive oil. I guess my dairy "cheats" were about a tablespoon of sour cream with the guac, and a little heavy cream after dinner. But hey, I never said NO dairy, just less - and believe me, this was less (esp compared to the quarter block of vermont sharp cheddar yesterday or the six slices worth of pizza cheese on saturday... all in a days work lol). And the stomach feels great! Went climbing as well, did beastly. Got a comment right before leaving (after doing some pull-ups on the hangboard) about how my "back muscles are intense" - that made my day :] It's good to feel strong

Lets see if tomorrow (well I guess now it's today) goes just as well. Wait, never mind the see if. It will :P

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          I'll wish you a happy birthday now since I"m liable to forget!

Get 'er done, climbergirl!

One thing that helps is having good foods on hand for when those hunger pangs/cravings hit. It's also best to drink some water first and see if that doesn't do it for ya. The stomach is a devious thing, after all. G'luck to ya, eh!
                          Thanks! And you're right about the stomach being devious... I made sure to drink water first if I felt hungry today and most times it was just thirst... that darned stomach really likes to play with your mind lol

Comment

Journal?

Oh, hi.

Comment

Indeed.

Welcome, stalker.

Comment

Mmmm, macadamia nuts. Great, now I want some.
                                Good luck on getting the dairy intake down. I finally did, but it was embarrassingly difficult.
                                Enjoying reading your progress - keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X