No announcement yet.

Barefootmama's primal journey to happiness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I'm getting ready to go for a walk so I pulled out my old running skirts. They're definitely looser than they've ever been, but when I look in the mirror I still see a LOT of flab. So I took a picture and compared it to way back when. All I can say is a picture really speaks a thousand words. Fantastic.

Comment

I walked to the grocery store, just under half a mile each way. I put most of my groceries in a backpack (including a half gallon of milk for DH and 5-6 cans of fruit and coconut milk) and carried the meat and eggs in a grocery bag. On the way home, I wore the backpack and did bicep curls with the bag of groceries. The milk in the backpack kept me nice and cool. I weighed the bags when I got home - roughly 20lbs on my back and 8lbs in the bag.

Comment

New pics!
        I just can't believe the change in only 3 months. Amazing.
        Attached Files

Comment

So the scale has been stuck at about 180+ for 3 weeks or so, and I've been getting frustrated. So this week I finally made an effort to actually do some exercise for the first time since I stopped running a few months ago. I also realized my morning smoothie was close to 50g carbs, so I cut that in half, and cut out most additional nuts or fruit.

Exercise: Wednesday we had our first rainfall in months. I got outside just before sunset and it was in the 70's (instead of the usual high 90's) and I was rewarded with a beautiful sunset. I also got a nice blister on the bottom of one toe. Guess my soles are getting soft from having to wear shoes on the blistering concrete.

The next day I did a bunch of bodyweight exercises... pushups, squats, wall pushups, a bit of improvised yoga, some arm stuff with 2lb weights.

I tried to run on Friday, but I opened up the blister I got Wednesday, so I cut the run short to avoid the risk of an infection. I came home and soaked my feet in a warm bath with some epsom salts and coconut oil, and the blister seems to have healed up nicely.

Today more bodyweight stuff, and my 5yo asked to do yoga so we found a video and did a short Vinyasa routine.

Lo and behold, the scale is finally moving in a downward direction again! It looks like I've dropped about 2lbs* this week!

Confession time...

The kids have fallen in absolute love with the primal muffins I've been making, and I've let myself indulge in 1-2 of these per day. I broke it down in a recipe calculator and figured out that they're usually only about 3-8g carbs each, so I'm feeling like this is an indulgence I can satisfy once in a while.

I started with Rivvin's Angry Sandwich Bread, and improvised from there to make slightly sweeter muffins, and enough for the whole family. I'm also venturing out into coconut flour and almond butter and adding bananas from time to time.

*My scale sucks. It's not remotely accurate and can fluctuate a couple pounds from one weigh to another 2 minutes later. But I'm ok with it as long as it's tracking a general downward trend.

Comment

I took the family for a walk to the grocery store this afternoon, and had several very fun sprints with the kids. Goodness my 3yo is a fast runner!

Let's see... food today, way too carby:
            Breakfast was 2 coconut almond muffins (my recipe) and 3 slices of bacon, plus coffee with coconut milk.
            Lunch was a smoothie with blackberries, blueberries, a small banana and coconut milk - split with the kids of course.
            Dinner was taco stew with coconut milk and avocado.
            Late night snack I shouldn't have had was an egg muffin with 80% chocolate chips. Not as yum as I expected, but very filling. Protein and fat balance the low carbs pretty well.

Comment

Your pics are incredible!

And I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in high school. I also had cancer, so they immediately removed my whole thyroid. I've been on meds ever since, and I can tell you that's a rough path. I have so many allergies, it's crazy; that's something that doesn't go away. I had to fight for years to take a combo of Synthroid and Cytomel (T4 and T3), but that made me feel a whole lot better.

I'm also a bellydancer, and I love it. I started about 2 1/2 years ago and I've always hated exercising, but it was something I wanted to go back to class again and again, and practice at home. Half the time the teacher will say "We're almost done, let's stretch" and I hadn't even realized an hour had passed already.

Comment

Hi IndigoBanshee! Love the name.

The Hashi's is new to me, but not a complete surprise. When I look back I see so many signs that I've been hypothyroid for many years, with up & down swings that indicate the autoimmune aspect of the disease. I think I mentioned early in the thread that I'm severely gluten intolerant, which I just discovered a year ago. Primal eating really is perfect for me in so many ways and it's made my whole family healthier.

I'm taking dessicated thyroid now but I'm still in the ramping up phase so I'm just waiting to see if some of my more bothersome symptoms ever go away. Fatigue is my biggest issue right now. I want to get moving and work out and do fun things, but I'm just too tired all the time.

Comment

Exercise update: nothing since last week. Got knocked down by either a med reaction or a cold, and I was miserable and lazy for a few days.

Food update: Major carb cravings the past week. Way too many muffins, smoothies, nuts and even a few raisins. No surprise when my monthly cycle started and the cravings soon switched to red meat! I've eaten most of a pound of hamburger tonight, and steak is on the menu for breakfast tomorrow.

I discovered that I can cook with cashew flour! I ran out of almond flour and my youngest was asking for muffins, when I realized I had a bag of cashews and a coffee grinder. Voila! Delicious muffins that have a taste and texture like peanut butter cookies. YUM.

Weight update: My weight is stalled again. I'm annoyed but ok with it. Last month I actually went UP 5lbs when my cycle started, then about a week later that weight was gone. This month I stayed the same so maybe in a week I'll be down 5lbs. So I'm still sitting at 179-180ish.

Comment

I have been inspired by your pictures and thought I'd drop in on your journal. You are doing a great job, and your pictures are motivation for me. Thank you for posting them.
                    7/4/11: 42-38-43
                    8/3/11: 41-37-42
                    11/27/11: 41-36-41
                    Goal: 38-32-36

Comment

Thanks for stopping in Blue Eyed Chick - mine are blue too.

I'm on my feet all day today, so I'm counting that as my moving slowly. hehe
                      Smoothie for breakfast and leftover chicken curry for lunch. So much for my red meat craving. My steak will have to wait for dinner.

Comment

I've enjoyed reading your journal, very inspirational. You started at the same point I'm currently at - seeing your photos gives me hope that I actually CAN do it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X