Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Patrick (who has a filthy pirate hooker mouth)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The minimalist lifestyle, that is where I see my life headed as well. It's a little different with a family, but that may make it even that much more important. Yes I want to travel when and where I want, but also to just spend time with the kids and just enjoy life. Life shouldn't be about work and the accumulation of stuff. I'm glad your are on your way to achieving your goal.

@Saoirse, it is an acceptable greating for a man to ask him "hey, how's your hammer hangin'?"
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      Regardless, I'm cutting all my stuff down so I could live comfortably in a bachelor apartment, if I wanted to. (I'm down from 700+ books to less than 70 now, for instance.) I know where I'm headed with this obsessive minimalism and the long walks I've been taking -- leaving Canada behind and traveling wherever I want in the world. This morning I found the old Buddhist prayer beads a friend gave me in China so I'd be safe on my travels. Holding them again made me realize I'm getting the itch to strike out once more. The day-to-day grind and sameness of it all is getting to me. I'm not made for ordinary stuff and mainstream routines, though I wish I were. I think life would be easier. I'm too much of a shit-disturber to do anything normally, though. Ah well.
      Life may be easier but only because it no longer requires any independant thought. Fuck the mainstream I say! I envy you your freedom and I would be doing exactly the same thing were I in your shoes. I'd sell or store all my shit and take off to parts unknown. I wish wish wish I had done that when I was younger, but it either never occured to me or I was too scared. Also it took living the humdrum, mainstream life to realise that I hated it. I am already counting the days until my kids leave home (and yes, I know my youngest is only 5!) so that I can leave home too. I have dreams of working with Medecins sans frontieres in the middle of Africa or some such (it's another reason why I want to do OR nursing as they want nurses with OR training).
      Anyway, did I mention that I ENVY you, you footloose and fancy-free bastard!!

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
      The minimalist lifestyle, that is where I see my life headed as well. It's a little different with a family, but that may make it even that much more important. Yes I want to travel when and where I want, but also to just spend time with the kids and just enjoy life. Life shouldn't be about work and the accumulation of stuff. I'm glad your are on your way to achieving your goal.
      This is true too. This is my focus until I get to leave home.
      Last edited by NourishedEm; 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: I can't spell when I'm emotional :D
      My Journal

Comment

• nourishedem, i think we're both counting down the days until our kids leave the nest! my youngest is 1, and i really do love being with them but i also feel like i missed out on a lot.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Thanks, all! I think it's cool that so many of us want to get the fuck outta Dodge.

Wow. While looking for an old book just now, I found the scroll I'd had made while I was in China. All it says is my Chinese name, Liu Lang de Heshang, the Roving Monk. (I'd had it made to hang above my bed alongside the scroll I'd had made for my girlfriend at the time.) Hmmm... interesting timing in coming across that again right after both finding my prayer beads and writing that post yesterday.

Anyhoo. In order to get movin', I'll need to crack down over the next five months and settle some debts. I'm not going overseas again while in debt. It just causes distraction and a dislocated sense of stress. But that means I have to get my arse in gear. I'm so fucking lazy, and such a terrible procrastinator.
          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• So what's the plan to stay fed and somewhat housed while on the road -- going to save up cash ahead of time, or work as you go somehow? When do you think your roving monkhood will officially start?

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
            is that a traditional norse legend, or something newer?
            Traditional. For example, from the 13th century: "... when he wanted, it would be so small that it could be carried inside his tunic."

I see it as analogous to Cú Chulainn's "spear" -- sure he kills people with it, but at one point he stabs a woman with it and she gets pregnant. Later on he fights his best friend (a friend he kisses frequently) and stabs him in the anus with his spear. Rrrriiight.
            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Patrick....kudos to you for knowing what you want to make you happy. That is the most important thing. Its not about the "getting" what you want. Well, at least for most people anyway. Its about knowing what direction you need to go in to get there. And it appears you have it nailed down. Congrats man.

So, traveling and experiencing "life" does it for you and you know that. Thats great man and I hope you are able to achieve true happiness in your travels.

For me, I think I am going to be the lone dissenter in here on your journal and say I have no wandering "lust". Dont get me wrong, I love to travel. And I do a fair bit of it. But I love to come home to my abode. My wife and I invest much of our time and personal energy in it and it is our sanctuary. I am quite happy here on our little piece of land (2 acres) raising our children, watching them grow up and experiencing life and all that it offers. Wholesome,old fashioned, simple things are best....and we love to live simply (i.e. this in a way is what attracts me to a primal lifestyle). But having a place I love to call my home and to be my sanctuary is very important to me. I think this is where you and I are very different, man.

Good luck achieving your goals towards simplifying things so that you can travel. I hope you are successful and you get to enjoy your experiences as you desire.....
              If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
              James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

• That sanctuary kind of idea is what I envy. It just isn't in me, though. I think I'm the only guy in my circle(s) of friends who's single. More than that, I'm one of the few who isn't married. One step further, I'm one of the few who doesn't own a home, a car or have kids. It doesn't stop me from having fun with all my different friends, but that kind of life just ain't me. It just took me a while to really realize it.

I also can't stand the thought of being someone who says, "If only I'd _______". I think those are the saddest words in the English language. Stop wishing. Start doing. Regret is the aftermath of cowardice and it lasts the rest of your life. You might think you'll get another crack at living how you want, but I fucking doubt it. This is it, folks.

I'm not saying that to judge anyone; I've got a number of regrets myself and am a huge wuss in some very vital parts of my life. Well, parts that would be vital if they existed, which they don't because I'm a wuss. That said, while you can't fix the past, you can learn from it and alter how you live in the present, which obviously affects the future. My Nan always wanted to go to Scotland, where her family was from. She never did. Now she's 80-something and won't ever go. She used to say to me "Oh, Patrick... If only I'd gone. I so wanted to see it." Well... what the fuck? Now she can't due to health reasons. Don't be her, people.

If there's something you want, use one metaphorical hand to grab it by the balls and the other to grab it by the throat. Take it. Life isn't some benign entity, like Johnny Appleseed. It doesn't hand anyone shit. Passivity mixed with hope is definitely one of the very worst of human flaws but it's so rooted in us.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• The way of the Peaceful Warrior Monk?
                  This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                  Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

• Patrick...I totally agree with your statements. We are coming at it from two totally different directions...but you and I are definitely saying the same thing. And that is...KNOW what makes you happy. Find it. Follow it. Chase it and catch it. And when you do...DO IT!

Because life is too short and we only go around the merry-go-round one time. Once. Dont leave the board with any regrets. When you walk away, be sure you can say...."THAT WAS AWESOME."
                    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
                    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

• Exactly so, NB.

Digby, I haven't gotten to that point yet. I got the name because I did a lot of wandering on my own (the other teachers always traveled together), I always shaved my head, and finally I always had my prayer beads attached to my pack. (Not because I'm religious but because they're beautiful... and very few Chinese people would steal from someone carrying Buddhist beads. Hey... I'm a pragmatist! ) I'm too big an asshole to be a real monk, though. Not to mention I like sex.

Comment

• I've got 9 years to go until I'm "free". The ironic part of this is the girls and I had this very same conversation on our way to the lake today. Apparently the girls all believe that when Heather is of age, I'm leaving there dad and leaving Ohio for good. At least they seem to understand my situation. Heather told me wherever I go, she wants to be with me which is sweet but I told her that she has to understand that when she graduates I need to spread my wings and fly away.
                        Georgette

Comment

• I hate to burst bubbles, but once you become a parent you are never truly free; freedom of movement perhaps, but your children have a powerful hold on you all the days of your life. I'm in my sixties and my dad 91, and he still worries about me.
                          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

• digby that's pretty sweet. my 7 yo talks about moving out of the house when he's an adult and finding a house very close to ours. i want to be surrounded by my children and grandchildren; get out and have fun but still have my little sanctuary to come back to. that's my dream. i would be very very sad if my kids decided not to have kids because i want grandbabies.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                              Thanks, all! I think it's cool that so many of us want to get the fuck outta Dodge.

Wow. While looking for an old book just now, I found the scroll I'd had made while I was in China. All it says is my Chinese name, Liu Lang de Heshang, the Roving Monk. (I'd had it made to hang above my bed alongside the scroll I'd had made for my girlfriend at the time.) Hmmm... interesting timing in coming across that again right after both finding my prayer beads and writing that post yesterday.

Anyhoo. In order to get movin', I'll need to crack down over the next five months and settle some debts. I'm not going overseas again while in debt. It just causes distraction and a dislocated sense of stress. But that means I have to get my arse in gear. I'm so fucking lazy, and such a terrible procrastinator.
                              i'm sorry that i missed out on this conversation... i must agree though, ever since i was a kid i've been wanting to "get the fuck outta dodge"... having lived a transient lifestyle for the past how many years, i can safely say that if i had to get rid of everything, save a backpack and a few odds and ends, i could do it... stuff is just stuff at the end of the day. the idea of seeing the world with a backpack and a smile fills me with excitement... if you're ever in the position of visiting my neck of the woods, HOLLA!!!!!!!
                              live mindfully.
                              she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                                digby that's pretty sweet. my 7 yo talks about moving out of the house when he's an adult and finding a house very close to ours. i want to be surrounded by my children and grandchildren; get out and have fun but still have my little sanctuary to come back to. that's my dream. i would be very very sad if my kids decided not to have kids because i want grandbabies.
                                I'm on the polar opposite end, I do not want grandbabies. My youngest who is 9 wants to live with me forever but I have told her that after high school she has to chose college or military and when she goes into either, I then have my freedom. Yes, I'll worry about them but at that point, I need to live for me.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X