Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Patrick (who has a filthy pirate hooker mouth)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaBelle View Post
    Hi & I love your running outfit...
    Haha! Thanks! I think I'll start MovDen (Movement Denim, en francais!)

Originally posted by MaBelle View Post
    and I'm totally getting "The Name of the Wind" today on your recommendation (love love love good epic fantasy), though the third in the series isn't out yet and if I like it I will be upset that I don't know the end of the story till the last book is published (date to be determined). Yes, I'm a commitment-phobe to books I haven't read yet in fear that I will like them and have to delay my gratification by waiting for the rest of the series to be published.
    I hear ya. You must be hatin' George R. R. Martin, then. ;.)

"The Name of the Wind" is good (reminds me a bit of "Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe, actually), but I'm warning you that you'll need to reserve judgement of it until you get past the first 40-60 pages. That sounds terrible, but it's a little slow starting. That said, 40-60 pages is nothin' when it's out of 722 pages! The concept is brilliant, too: a character is being interviewed over the course of three days, which is why there are three books in the series. I love that!

And if you like interesting fantasy, "The Book of the New Sun" is quite good. I've only read the first of four volumes, "Shadow of the Torturer," but it was a good read. I'm getting the book back so I can finish it.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by nachobrawler View Post
      Patrick....

1) The only difference between you and the "guy" that dates all of the time is that guy asks/seems interested to women. He has nothing on you. In fact, from what I know of you on here, I would say you have MUCH more on him! But women see him ask...see he has the confidence to ask...and see him doing THEM a favor! They dont have to ask if he asks. And while it sucks for men today, most women I have come across (Im speaking generally here- there are exceptions EVERYWHERE) like to be asked out. Even if they find the guy the most attractive man on earth. Its how we all were raised (again, generally speaking) in this our Westernized society.

2) You do have the courage. Ask yourself this question (seriously): Am I going to die from doing this...even if she tells me to go to hell? Im assuming you will answer that with a "no". And you honestly dont think you will die. So, your next task is to wrap your mind around what it is that is holding you back. What happened before that makes you hesitate or nervous about the outcome? What is the first thing you think of when you read that statement? If its an experience from your past...go there in your head and live through it again. Relive it to the fullest. Feel the damn embarrassment or whatever it is just pour right out of you. And then think about where you are now. And what you have accomplished in life...(Damn, man, you have lived and worked in China right? I have only traveled to Mexico and Jamaica outside of this country!!!! And for a very short time each. You have a TON of life experience on me right there. I would say you are rich! There is so much to you that any woman would be extremely intrigued by Patrick. You sell yourself way too short.) After thinking over that....doesnt it seem kind of silly to be "shy"? In the large scheme of things?

3) I dont disagree with your statement about women liking to date "up". But not all women are like that. And the ones that are ....you definitely should avoid like the black plague. Who needs them.Fuck them and their insecurities about who THEY are (i.e. so they think they need money to make them happy). You dont want or need a woman like that in your life. Besides, again from what i know of you on here, I dont think she would be your type.

Here's what I did after I got divorced and re-entered the dating world. And let me preface this by saying, I do NOT consider myself a casanova, ladies man, or "player" by any means. Im a very normal, average guy. Very similar in my station in life and what not to where you are now, Patrick (and I think I was 34 yrs old at the time-2004).

I re-entered the dating world looking to have fun. Fun, that was it. I had just came out of nearly a ten year marriage and I had two children. So, I hung out with people from work, the gym, church, friends, friends from work etc etc. And I went places and did things. Fun things. And I was upfront with any potential relationships (I agree with you 100%-always be honest and up front especially with dating) that developed. And it started a bit slowly at first...but after a while I had so much going on that I was never bored and rarely alone. And I am by nature introverted and quite happy being alone.

So, I will spare you the rest of the story because I think I have enough here to make my point. And that is this:

The attitude you develop from doing these things and being around people with similar interests is infectious.It rubs off on you and eventually permeates through you to new people you meet. You become "fun" to be around. And I am not saying you aren't fun to be around now....you are...you just aren't circulating. You get to circulating and you will "kill two birds with one stone". You will be meeting people...potentials for relationships without the seriousness of dating...and you will be having fun yourself. You will be in the environment and cant help but meet attractive, free, single women interested in meeting you and having fun.
      +1,000,000 x's infinity squared cubed and beyond.

Hell, you're an awesome guy. At least you seem that way here. If you asked me out, hypothetically of course, I would feel honored and would more than happily oblige. Obviously, you know what you are looking for as you aren't in a relationship now, but part of finding what you are looking for is weeding through the crap and yes, I will admit there are women that are the crap out there. Hell, if any of your friends know of someone that may be interested in you, ask them for there help. Not saying a blind date per se. We had a party about a month ago because one of our male friends was interested in one of our female friends and guess what, they're dating. Taking it very slow but they are dating none the less. Just get yourself out there. Like I said, sometimes friends are great at this for others.
      Georgette

Comment

• I'll be pondering your wise words before responding, NB. In the meantime, I'm going to my now-favourite coffee shop to do some reading and work on some iPhone app UI sketches that are for a little project I'm part of.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Speaking as a woman, NB is spot-on there. I agree that gameplaying is tedious compared to just being straightforward... there are women who are like that in the world and really appreciate that.

How to find them and get them cornered, I wouldn't know, though... My default approach would be to fill out a Match.com profile in a very honest and straightforward way, including words like "geek". Got me lots of promising nibbles, back in the day, and a few that seemed worth dating.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• I was going to write up a good, long and well-deserved response to NB (and others who've posted since), but this conversation, while always interesting to me and very relevant, can only come across as "boost my self-esteem and feed me compliments," which I sure as shit don't want to be happening here. I hate that kind of baiting -- intentional or otherwise -- and so I dislike any line of conversation that has a tendency to head in that direction. It's my own fault this has, and I'm not too proud to admit that I sometimes look for pick-me-ups when it comes to relationship shit, because I'm fucking clueless and not being adept at something frustrates me. And frustration is frustrating.

I love you all to bits for saying such wonderful things, but it's not what I want this journal to be or become. I don't want it to be about me or to even revolve around me, to be honest. I like to kick rocks into quiet lakes and then enjoy the ripples and see where they spread, if that's not too dense a metaphor. I don't want people reading this journal to feel like they're reading it in order to give, but rather to take away such that everyone benefits. It's kinda like a lending library of ideas, or that's been my hope. Anyhoo.

So. Yeah. Gunna cut this particular topic short. I'm certainly not doing that to knock or not appreciate the always-fucking-spectacular insights you guys bring every fucking day. Rather it's to stop my own silliness in this particular vein. After all, I have lots of silliness to contribute to other things!

"Green?" "Super green." Okay-dokie then.

Belt. I got another hole punched in my belt. I did it partly as a kind of closure before I retire it as my first Primal Trophy. I just measured from the "August 2010" hole to this latest one: 5" exactly, which is what I'd estimated, given that my 34" pants/jeans are all a bit loose. Sweet deal. I should only lose another inch or half inch from here on in, if that, from here on in.

Not much on the agenda for this week. I'll be doing some untracked push-ups, pull-ups and squats to get back into regular mode. However, it doesn't seem I really need much "getting back on track." This morning I dropped and did two sets of 25 push-ups, not going to failure, and pull-ups/chin-ups were one or two shy of my usual amount per set. Very odd for 3-4 weeks off, but I ain't complaining!

After this weekend in Ktown, it's Spartacus Challenge time for May and probably for June. Not sure what the challenge part of it is, exactly. Maybe being able to do three circuits, unmodified, and not want to build a vomitorium? (And yeah I know vomitoria weren't actually used for vomiting.) That sounds like a laudable goal!

I love SimpleFit, but want to transition to something different and then come back a few months later and see what my judgement time is. I don't doubt what can come of someone just doing three exercises, but the more I read about méthode naturelle (MovNat), the more I just want to keep shifting things around a bit. Reading Skink's journal has gotten me thinkin' about this more over the past few days, too.

Comment

• Do you know how many more holes you've punched into your belt since you started? That is pretty damn awesome I must say! Definitely frame that bad boy!
              Georgette

Comment

• I've had to have two holes punched, today's being the second one. All told, I've shifted five holes since Aug 2010.

Comment

• That is pretty awesome.
                  Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                    That is pretty awesome.
                    Agreed. That is very awesome

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      Reading Skink's journal has gotten me thinkin' about this more over the past few days, too.
                      WOOHOO, I'm inspirational!!! Is it weird that I am looking forward to the Spartacus Challenge because it looks excruciating? What does it say about me that I like to beat myself up? And I too love the whole MovNat concept.

Nice on the belt, by the way. It will look good when it is mounted on your wall.
                      My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                        WOOHOO, I'm inspirational!!! Is it weird that I am looking forward to the Spartacus Challenge because it looks excruciating? What does it say about me that I like to beat myself up? And I too love the whole MovNat concept.
                        Ha! I feel the same way. I need something to kick my ass for a while.

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                        Nice on the belt, by the way. It will look good when it is mounted on your wall.
                        Yup, it should look nice right next to the head of the bull shark I strangled to death off the coast of Guatemala.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          Yup, it should look nice right next to the head of the bull shark I strangled to death off the coast of Guatemala.
                          If you strangled it with the belt that would be an added touch of nostalgia to add to the display.

Comment

• i keep missing out on epic-ness... or something. -_-

you are too popular for me to keep up with P!!! grats on the extra belt-hole-punch thingy and big up to getting back into workouts after a long time off!!! glad your chest has gotten better! <3
                            live mindfully.
                            she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              If you strangled it with the belt that would be an added touch of nostalgia to add to the display.
                              Too true!

Thanks, C! I'm glad my chest is almost there, too. Just in time for my Ktown trip and CrossFit excursion on Friday!

Comment

• Whuh-BUH?! Geesh, be offline for most of the day and miss all the fun. Hrmph.
                                Patrick, you're doin great. As to the chicas, if they're too damn chicken to speak the fuck up when they like you, they ain't worth your time.
                                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X