Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Patrick (who has a filthy pirate hooker mouth)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LR thread has gotten way to high schoolish for my taste. I can't even go there without an eye twitching. Total train wreck. I'm finding now that the LR will not work with my lifestyle anymore so I'm just going to stick with eating primally and working out. There are times that you're going to cheat. Hell, last night I ate almost an entire pint of ice cream. Totally delicious but I feel drunk from it.
    Georgette

Comment

• Ha! Ice cream drunk. Nice.

In terms of health protocols/regimes/etc., I do whatever the fuck I feel like. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. If I want to work out, I do. If I'd rather sit on my couch playing mandolin while an old episode is playing, I do it. Now, having said that, I'm not ripped like Timothy or anything. Obviously bearing down a bit and playing less loose and more dogmatically Primal would be more beneficial, but I'm not in any rush, really. I'd like to be seeing abs and muscle definition (not flexing) by next May. That's a pretty fucking lax goal, I'd say, given where I'm already at. I haven't worked out for an entire month (as of Sunday) and I haven't lost strength even if I've lost a bit of "bulk." (I use that term very fucking loosely, given I'm not a mesomorph or whatever.)

I think I'll be trying a kettlebell out in the next few weeks. Reading "The 4-Hour Body" has me quite interested in the whole MED principle and I was getting really bored of the Spartacus workout thinger, effective though it was proving. I'll still be doing shovelglove to warm up, though, because let's face it: there are few things more masculine than swinging unwieldy, warlike objects around. And I just plain ol' fuckin' love it -- it feels awesome. Stretch, warm-up, workout all in one.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for a really easy weekly sprint idea, I stumbled upon something a few months ago and forgot to mention it. Do mountain climbers, except use a smooth, clean surface (less friction) and wear socks. Don't lift your legs when you do it. Slide on the balls of your feet, as if your feet were on tracks. Use Tabata Protocol (20s/10s x 8).

It's awesome for your core, your arms, shoulders, back, ass, hamstrings, quads and maybe even your calves. Don't be afraid to rotate your hips a bit as you do it, as if you were running. It also takes zero equipment and can't be put off as easily as hill sprints or other kinds of more prep-invested stuff.

Mountain climbers

Progress up to Everest climbers if you want
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• I'm gonna make myself a kettlebell (or T-bell, I guess), if I can find the parts; I didn't see any of them in Canadian Tire. Saw this video yesterday of the homemade kettlebell Tim talks about in "The 4-Hour Body":

For kettlebell swing form and technique, he made this video. Very helpful for kettlebell newbs like me.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• As a kettlebell purist I am highly offended by this. How dare you post something like that. It's Dragon Door or nothing, damn it!

Actually, that's pretty fucking ingenious. I think I need to run to Home depot now.
          My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Very cool! Thanks for the links!

Comment

• Going to have to make those come February when I'll be at the gym only 3 days a week. That is totally bad ass! And not a bad looking man to check out either. Just saying.
              Georgette

Comment

• the mountain climbers look like a great exercise! no excuse for not sprinting.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• My pleasure, NDF!

Dave: Haha! I still might go with a regular ol' kettlebell for snatches and stuff, but I like how adaptable this T-bell is in terms of adjustable weight. (And it being made out of modular plumbing pipes strikes me as fucking manly, I gotta say.)

Geo: I gotta agree that Tim Ferriss is a good-lookin' lad. It also amazes me how much he's done in his life. He's only a few years older than I am! He's like 35 or something. Fuckin' hell.

Saoirse: That's part of the problem! Now there are no excuses.

In other news, I've almost got down pat the rhythm part of House of the Rising Sun. (I can't get it every time -- some of the chord transitions are still causing me to fumble and I hate B-flat... well, all barred notes.) It's a kick-ass fuckin' song, though, and it's fun to play an actual song and not just notes on the page. I'm lovin' mandolin! I can't wait til I can jam with my friend Alex who is back to playing violin, and another friend who has a blast on guitar.

(I've been pretty video-tastic today)

Comment

• See Patrick, I have good taste in men. He's my age....Hmmmm. Stop thinking woman!!!
                    Georgette

Comment

• If you look at Tim Ferriss and think he's done so much and only a little older than you, well he's a little YOUNGER than me.......

Yeah, a regular KB is the way to go for a lot of the exercises. The T-bar would be good for swings, Sumo deadlifts, and things like that though. That's where you might want to go heavier, and that would make it an affordable way to do it. Heavy kettlebells are expensive.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• love that song. does alex have a written part for violin, or can he just play it? i wouldn't mind getting my hands on the notation.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Furniture sliders work great for mountain climbers. Also good for sliding lunges, etc. Google Valslide, it's just an oval furniture slider with green plastic instead of white
                          Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                          Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                          "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                            Yeah, a regular KB is the way to go for a lot of the exercises. The T-bar would be good for swings, Sumo deadlifts, and things like that though. That's where you might want to go heavier, and that would make it an affordable way to do it. Heavy kettlebells are expensive.
                            What weight do you use? I'm thinking like 18kg.

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                            love that song. does alex have a written part for violin, or can he just play it? i wouldn't mind getting my hands on the notation.
                            Alex is a she and I'm not sure. She and I had been thinking about jamming generally, not necessarily that song. That said, you could probably just download it for free!

Comment

• A lot of the kettlebell guys out there recommend a 16 kg for the average male just starting with them. I have a couple of 20 kg ones I use for most things with plans on getting a 24 kg. For heavier type moves I have been using sandbags. That's why I really like the t-bar ideait looks like a cheap way to mix things up.

Comment

• What's good weight for a woman starting kettleballs?
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X