Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Patrick (who has a filthy pirate hooker mouth)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah i had a few of those removed when i was 15, one below my bikini line. the (female) doc cracked a few jokes about how the scar might impact my potential as a nude "model." right in front of my fundie mama. hilarious.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NDF View Post
      Lookin good Patrick!

I had a mole removed on my upper back so I know what the "don't move for fear of ripping the stitches" order is like.
      Thanks, NDF! And yeah... it's a sucky situation, eh? I really wanted to go climbing last week. Ah well. Next week I'll get back into it. I did get a barefoot run in last Weds, though. The weather lately has been awesome! ...but it's set to get much more typically fall-like very shortly.

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
      He wasn't messing with you, there are definitely different strength sutures.
      Good to know he was serious. I figured he was because the sutures are pretty big. It's like someone using rope to sew shut a seam on a sweater!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
      You are looking great btw, you are one good-looking fella. You're brother is looking good too.
      Thanks, Em! I'll pass that along to me brother. I wish I could get him into Primal stuff, even part way. No such luck, though. My mom, however... More on this below!

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
      yeah i had a few of those removed when i was 15, one below my bikini line. the (female) doc cracked a few jokes about how the scar might impact my potential as a nude "model." right in front of my fundie mama. hilarious.
      So... did it? I kid. My original dermatologist is old-school. Commander (ret'd) and like 65, and French Canadian to boot. When I first went to him he asked: "So, you are not married?"
      "Nope."
      "Are you, as I ask my daughter, 'living in sin'?"
      "Hahaha! No, more's the pity." (He was asking because it's easier for a significant other to spot any skin changes, especially on one's back or whatnot. I just thought it was funny.)

But yeah, my mom. So I was chatting with my mom about little things. She's certainly noticed the changes in me, but I think it was her friend over for Thanksgiving saying something to me that kind of made her realize that I might be a good person to talk to. She's not super crazy about the Primal idea (nurse for 35+ years, then taught nursing clinical/practical) but I showed her some stuff by Tim Ferriss, and she was particularly interested in the minimum effective dose concept, as anyone would be. So I found some videos online, including when Dr. Oz had him on the show. So for an hour she watched the stuff with me and asked a few questions.

I got an email yesterday, the morning after coming back to Ottawa after the Thanksgiving visit. She's started to eat 1 cup of cottage cheese every morning (30g of protein within 30 min of waking) and she'll hopefully follow my advice and walk for 10 min every morning and evening. Looking forward to hearing what she has to say in two weeks!

It's tough watching your family struggle. They keep telling me I look great -- "very fit," "lean" and "healthy" are the three I hear most often. There's just no real opening or opportunity to chat with them about it. Ah well. I make what progress with them that I can. My more ummm... extreme activities/modes of living probably aren't helping my cause, either, to be honest. By "extreme" I refer to cold showers, no soap (obviously no shampoo), barefoot running, standing desk, etc. If they associate those particular things with Primal, which I guess they might, it becomes a difficult sell for sure.

Oh, and standing on buses when there are seats available weirds people out. I'm surprised the RCMP haven't been called in on account of "suspicious behaviour." I do it to take advantage of a good 45 min (each way) to use the standing posts to do some very minor and subtle arms and chest muscle/resistance stuff (and core strengthening -- always), and to work on my forearm and finger strength for climbing and mandolin playing. And just to stand! Hell, I'm going to spend 6-7 hours every weekday sitting. Why spend my daily 1.5-hour commute sitting idly? That's not only idiotic but a waste of time. I kinda laugh at the thought of some of those people sitting their entire commute (both ways) only to then spend an hour or two after work at a gym! Silliness.
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• That's pretty cool about your mother. Just keep leading by example and I'm sure your brother will take notice and begin to ask the right questions. I here you on the "extreme" activities. I tell people it's not necessary to be a full-on freak like me to benefit from PB. I figure it's only a matter of time before the authorities are called on my "suspicious behavior". When I go to my oldest's dance/gymnastics class, I'm either standing or in a "Grok Squat" playing with my little one with the toys. The other parents look at me like I'm a freak because I'm not sitting on my ass looking at my smart phone like the rest of them. Bunch of lazy fuckers if you ask me. My in-laws are down right now to help out, and they have noticed that I only put on shoes when we are going to a store that requires them. I can tell this is bothering them, they put on shoes from the second they get out of bed, and don't take them off until the go to sleep at night. When they take my girls outside they tell them to go get their shoes on and my girls give them this puzzled look and ask "why?". Our way is more fun, if you ask me.
        My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Our way is definitely better. You know how WoE is Way of Eating? I say we get WoL to catch on: Way of Living. Way of eating is just a small part of a fully functional and healthy life. I'm also glad your girls question behaviour/situations/information and don't just take things for granted. That's awesome! What are their ages, if you don't mind my asking? They sound like they're between 3 and 11 or so.

I have to say I'm really envious that you can go barefoot all year long. Jerk. I only have a six-month window, from mid to late April til early October. Ah well. I'm sure I'll survive... somehow... albeit with lots of bitching about it.

Oh, I think I forgot to mention this: I'm officially starting up my mandolin lessons next week! I signed up for lessons yesterday. Wooo! Then the week after that, I'll be starting up kickboxing twice/three times a week.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
            I'm officially starting up my mandolin lessons next week.
            Youtube it or it didn't happen

Good luck with that and the kickboxing!

Comment

Our way is definitely better. You know how WoE is Way of Eating? I say we get WoL to catch on: Way of Living. Way of eating is just a small part of a fully functional and healthy life.
              Couldn't agree more! That's what being healthy comes from - a way of life, not just a way of eating. It's all encompassing.

Nice work on getting through to your mom.

Maybe not advertise your way of eating as "primal" if they are associating that with the fact that you take cold showers and don't use shampoo and soap - if that's the part of "primal" that werids them out. Or, tell them that those things are your choice and not necessities to be "primal", that primal is about one's approach to life.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Agreed. And you are close, they are 3 and 6. It's OK to jealous of my barefootedness, I'm jealous of the mandolin and kickboxing stuff. I used to play the guitar, but haven't had time for it in years(it's just a dust collector right now). I've always thought the mandolin was a bad-ass instrument. i love its sound and versatility. You'll have a lot of musical styles to choose from. I love Steve Earle doing Copperhead Road live using the mandolin.

And yeah, I teach my kids it's OK to be different. Recently we've talked about how sidewalks and paths don't need to be followed, we can go our own way if we want to.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                  Challenge... ACCEPTED! I'll see what I can do about that.

Originally posted by NDF View Post
                  Maybe not advertise your way of eating as "primal" if they are associating that with the fact that you take cold showers and don't use shampoo and soap - if that's the part of "primal" that werids them out. Or, tell them that those things are your choice and not necessities to be "primal", that primal is about one's approach to life.
                  Too true, NDF. I tell people it isn't part and parcel of being Primal or Paleo, but I think it still sorta rubs them the wrong way and it's natural for them to link the two. It's like saying you're an activist. "Oh, you throw bricks through store windows and burn police cars." "No... I hold a sign every now and then but mainly organize events and promote issue education in public schools." Ah well. The compliments are still comin' my way, so I can't complain too much.

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                  Agreed. And you are close, they are 3 and 6. It's OK to be jealous of my barefootedness, I'm jealous of the mandolin and kickboxing stuff. I used to play the guitar, but haven't had time for it in years(it's just a dust collector right now). I've always thought the mandolin was a bad-ass instrument. i love its sound and versatility. You'll have a lot of musical styles to choose from. I love Steve Earle doing Copperhead Road live using the mandolin.
                  Why not pick 'er up and play for 10-15 min every few evenings? There's always time for the things we enjoy.

Will let you and Jon know how kickboxing goes when I start it. The intro class I took a few weeks back was awesome -- great little school, fantastic instructor, welcoming students, and the activity pushes me the perfect amount.

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                  And yeah, I teach my kids it's OK to be different. Recently we've talked about how sidewalks and paths don't need to be followed, we can go our own way if we want to.
                  "They're more sort o' what you'd call 'guidelines'..." Good stuff, man. That's the kind of thinking they ought to be learning. My thoughts fall in line with Mark Twain's: "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." and, I would humbly add, prepare to change your approach.

I would also add that paths only ever exist because an adventurous and brave few are willing to try something different and new, and eschew unthinking comfort to try something worthwhile. The ways the few walk become paths because other people are too lazy to find their own ways through life. So be a trail blazer, not a path tourist. For instance, a lot of the best things I encountered and saw in China were down side streets and alleyways, not on main thoroughfares.

Comment

Our way is definitely better. You know how WoE is Way of Eating? I say we get WoL to catch on: Way of Living. Way of eating is just a small part of a fully functional and healthy life.
                    or we could just repurpose the term AWOL, haha. Cause to me it's less about "my fancy new way of life" and more about questioning/deviating from (if necessary) the conventional way of life.
                    (field) journal
                    primal start-weight (3/11): 154
                    current weight (8/25/2012): 141

Comment

• Lookin' good!!!!
                      Georgette

Comment

• I stand on the bus too and the driver on my commute is a freaking maniac! It's a full on 45 minute core workout just staying upright when he's throwing that thing around corners.

It does weird people out though, people keep pointing to empty chairs if there's any or offering me their seat if there's not. It seems to baffle people that one wouldn't sit if the opportunity presents itself, then they wonder why they are out of shape....
                        My Journal

Comment

• Exactly, Em. A lady made room at the back of the bus this morning and I smiled and said, "No thanks, I'm good. I prefer to stand. After all, I have to sit the rest of the day." She nodded sadly and said something in agreement. So I guess she thought the concept was sound but didn't feel she could get on board with that? I dunno.

I've decided I'm not weird. The rest of the world is.

Comment

Exactly, Em. A lady made room at the back of the bus this morning and I smiled and said, "No thanks, I'm good. I prefer to stand. After all, I have to sit the rest of the day." She nodded sadly and said something in agreement. So I guess she thought the concept was sound but didn't feel she could get on board with that? I dunno.

I've decided I'm not weird. The rest of the world is.
                            I've found that standing when you could be seated, or when those around you are sitting, seems to make people nervous or uncomfortable. It's like you standing draws too much attention to their decision to sit.

Comment

• I think it does, especially if you've said something!

Got a short new blog post over on... well... the blog. I'm working on getting back into the swing of things and getting some decent articles up there soon.

Comment

Got a short new blog post over on... well... the blog. I'm working on getting back into the swing of things and getting some decent articles up there soon.
                                Well it's about damn time!

Comment

Working...
                                X