No announcement yet.

My 12 Week Primal Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, the pizza looked a lot better than it tasted. Using 100% coconut flour was like having cake with sauce and cheese on it. I went nuts and bought a bag of flax meal and almond meal, so next time I'm going to try a coconut/flax/almond/cheese crust. I have a feeling a hybrid of all of those will make up for the lousy consistency.

Now THIS on the other hand:

And only 73 carbs in the entire cake...and very low GI, too.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

that looks even more amazing lol.
      my birthday is coming up soon and i have big plans for a primal cake... double layer dark chocolate coconut cake with ganache. im drooling thinking about it haha
      My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

That sounds awesome. From the pictures I've seen, coconut flour looks like it would be really good for cakes. It still blows my mind that eating half a cake made of coconut flour and unsweetened baker's chocolate does less damage to your body than eating a whole wheat bagel. It's amazing how little doctors actually know about health, but I guess that's what happens when they're both taught and bought by skewed studies done by the pharmaceutical industry that profits on us all being fat and unhealthy.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

that lost hour screwed me up! normally it wouldn't have affected me but because my body is like clockwork with eating and working out it really messed me up! LOL
          live mindfully.
          she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

Tell me about it. I passed out face down on a couch and woke up with my contacts stuck to my eyelids and the clock said 11:30am. Factor in a 90 minute drive home and my day was shot.

Comment

btw, the cheesecake looks AWESOME! i will post photos of my desserts at some point soon... i hope... LOL
              live mindfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                That sounds awesome. From the pictures I've seen, coconut flour looks like it would be really good for cakes. It still blows my mind that eating half a cake made of coconut flour and unsweetened baker's chocolate does less damage to your body than eating a whole wheat bagel. It's amazing how little doctors actually know about health, but I guess that's what happens when they're both taught and bought by skewed studies done by the pharmaceutical industry that profits on us all being fat and unhealthy.
                we can have our cake... and have it be good for us lol.
                ditto on the bagel thing though - the worst part is that people think it's strange to eliminate wheat and grains and that it's "hard" to live without it... HELLO PEOPLE - we're living proof that it can be done and done without going crazy
                My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  Tell me about it. I passed out face down on a couch and woke up with my contacts stuck to my eyelids and the clock said 11:30am. Factor in a 90 minute drive home and my day was shot.
                  LOL wish i could've seen that!
                  live mindfully.

Comment

It probably looked something like this:

At least I was indoors this time and not on a concrete stoop. These things tend to happen to me too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Coconut Girl View Post
                      btw, the cheesecake looks AWESOME! i will post photos of my desserts at some point soon... i hope... LOL
                      I want the recipe for that cheesecake lol

Comment

LOL... don't worry--my friend got so wasted one night she actually fell between the curb and a parked car... while getting out of the car. another friend and i had to pull her out.

oddly enough you look rather comfortable there.
                        live mindfully.

Comment

Originally posted by climbergirl View Post
                          when i stop procrastinating i will post a link to my blog with the recipe for my chocolate cheesecake with choco ganache & strawberries (only as a garnish)...
                          live mindfully.

Comment

Originally posted by climbergirl View Post
                            Sure. It's pretty easy, but you'll need to buy pure stevia. And none of that Purevia/Truvia crap. Make sure it's the real deal. The only filler you're allowed to have is erythritol!

Years ago I found a recipe for cheesecake and after modifications, I claim it's the best cheesecake in the world. However, it uses sweetened condensed milk and I tend to use an Oreo crust. It truly is the greatest cheesecake ever, but I tried to wing it and modify it as best I could. The stevia ratios are off a bit, so modify them to your tastes. Also note that all servings of stevia are equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar. This seems to be different for every brand, so find out what they say is equivalent to 1 tsp of sugar and taste after every addition! The brands vary wildly in sweetness. Basically, this cheesecake isn't anywhere near as good as my actual recipe, but it's still very good.

This is what I did.

The crust:

1 cup unblanched almond meal
                            1/4 cup melted butter
                            12 servings stevia

Mix and press into the bottom of a well-buttered 9-inch springform pan. I basically melted the half stick of butter in the microwave in a bowl, dipped my hand in, greased the whole sides and bottom of the pan and dumped the rest into the almond meal/stevia mixture. Press in pan. Done.

The cake:

3 bars full fat cream cheese
                            3 eggs
                            1/4 cup lemon juice
                            1/3 cup almond milk
                            1 Tbsp vanilla extract
                            28 servings stevia

Beat the cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla extract, stevia and almond milk with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Beat in one egg at a time. Don't overbeat of you'll promote cracking. Pour mixture into springform pan overtop the pressed almond meal crust.

Bake cheesecake in a 300*F oven for 45 mins. I like to preheat a ceramic dish in the oven to 300 degrees, then when I add the cheesecake into the oven I pour in 1 cup of boiling water to create moisture in the oven for the cheesecake. As soon as the oven beeps after the 45 mins, turn off the oven and walk away. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR! Let it cool and come back in 1-2 hours.

Chocolate topping:

1.5 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate
                            4 Tbsp heavy cream
                            3 Tbsp butter
                            32 servings stevia

Melt 1.5 oz of unsweetened bakers chocolate and 3 tbsp butter in the microwave in a bowl. Microwave for one minute, stir. Then keep microwaving and stirring in 30 second intervals until the chocolate and butter mix smoothly. Add in 4 Tbsp heavy cream and stevia, then stir. Pour overtop cooled cheesecake. Transfer to fridge and let set overnight.

That's it. Pretty simple stuff. I even did a nutrition analysis on Fitday of the entire cake:

Calories: 4735.54
                            Total fat: 444.45g
                            -Saturated fat: 240.33g
                            -Polyunsaturated fat: 15.50g
                            -Monounsaturated fat: 109.79g
                            Cholesterol: 1615.98g
                            Sodium: 3064.65g
                            Potassium: 1834.14g
                            Total Carbohydrates: 72.86g

-Fiber: 26.51g
                            Protein: 111.02g
                            Alcohol: 4.5g
                            Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

OM NOM NOM... sounds excellent these are my "primal friendly" creations... i found a low carb red velvet cake recipe online and tweaked it to suit my own creativity/needs...
                              Attached Files
                              live mindfully.

Comment

It amazes me that you're having so much success in one week while eating In-N-Out Burger and red velvet cake. I'm eating salad after salad and it's like a slow crawl out of Hell. Color me jealous

That looks so good. Coconut flour no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X