No announcement yet.

My 12 Week Primal Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to find a way to lower all my macros, but somehow up the % of fat in my diet. I'd like get 70% of my calories from fat, but I can't think of how without adding oil or dairy. Dairy seems to stall me and oil doesn't do anything to keep me full. I may have to experiment with chicken breast in heavy butter or coconut milk, and maybe just avocados since the fat % is so high.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Today's Fitday.

Got the carbs and calories down a little, but not much. Plus, I'm still kinda hungry. I keep eying this damn cheesecake in the fridge that my friends made me make, then they didn't take any home with them and I haven't eaten any since. I'm thinking about doing my 24 hour IF tomorrow, then doing pure keto on Thursday and Friday and another carb refeed on Saturday and Sunday. Sigh, all these avocados I bought are going to go bad.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• the avocados won't go bad! you can cut them up (or scoop them out) and freeze them! just because it oxidizes and turns brown doesn't mean it's bad my grammy does it all of the time (she has THE BEST avocado tree--like, EVER)... speaking of which, i have to tell her to will the tree to me... lol
        live mindfully.
        she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

• Week 8 - April 12, 2011

I feel like that little carb refeed actually did something. The pics look the same as always, but I notice a little difference in the mirror today. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to see a difference, but I could swear it helped. My waist just BARELY dropped below 31". I'm going to keep switching my diet up while maintaining primal foods. I think the boost in the leptin from all those carbs is actually having a positive effect.

Specs:
          143 lbs
          30.85" waist
          12.07% bf

I personally don't think my bf really is that low. I think it's more like 13% by looking at me, but at the very least, it provides a good gauge of how I'm losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            Sigh, all these avocados I bought are going to go bad.
            Going off what CG said you can definitely freeze the "meat" of avocados to avoid having to throw them out if they get too soft. You can also make guacamole by mashing the avocados and putting lime juice in it - this acts as a "preservative" of sorts for the avocado and keeps it from spoiling in the fridge.
            My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

• You know, until I started this primal lifestyle a few months ago, I've never had an avocado before. I finally decided to try them and make guacamole. I mashed them with fresh garlic, fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, cumin, a little salt and pepper and some olive oil. It sounded pretty good. I didn't like it at all! I wound up tossing half of it. And I am a salsa master. I can make better cooked salsa or raw pico de gallo than you've ever had. So I was taken aback by how much I didn't like guac.

Since then, I've been just slicing up the avocados and tossing them in salad or eating them alone. I'm just starting to develop a taste for them. I wouldn't say I truly "like" them yet, but they're perfectly edible to me now. Maybe I'll try the cut-up-and-freeze method. All throughout the winter, they were 2 for $3 and they've finally dropped to $1 each, so I've been trying to eat them more.

Comment

• what would a normal week of doing carb refeeds look like? you don't have to bust out a menu but i just want to get an idea of what types of foods to eat and when... like Monday: 60/30/10; Tuesday: 20/30/50; Weds: 24 hr fast... etc... (meaning fat/protein/carb)

also, i'm guessing the bulk of the carb should be to restore glycogen levels and should come from stuff like sweet potatoes/taro/yam rather than fructose, right? i'd like to switch things up but obvs i'm going to have to really sit down and plan it out--for my own sake, anyway
                live mindfully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut Girl View Post
                  what would a normal week of doing carb refeeds look like? you don't have to bust out a menu but i just want to get an idea of what types of foods to eat and when... like Monday: 60/30/10; Tuesday: 20/30/50; Weds: 24 hr fast... etc... (meaning fat/protein/carb)
                  How familiar are you with the carb refeed? My understanding of it is the following:

We're all familiar with insulin. It's the body's main nutrient storage hormone. We all know that eating high carbohydrate diets drives insulin production. This leads to insulin resistance, which leads to excessive fat storage and obesity. The primal blueprint works its magic by keeping blood sugar levels rock solid, meaning there are less fluctuations in insulin, and when we do it foods that make it rise (eggs, meat, cheese and veggies all raise insulin to degrees), there is little sugar in the blood to store as fat. Instead, it's easily stored in the muscles and off our waistline.

The player that we're less familiar with is leptin. While insulin is the storage hormone, leptin is the release hormone. When leptin is elevated, our body lets go of more fat. Fat loss is achieved when insulin is low and leptin is high - our cells are releasing more fat from storage than it takes in. Just like insulin, leptin is spiked with carbohydrates. However, too many carbs and we become leptin resistant - there's plenty in our blood, but little reaching our brains. That means we're not releasing the fat that we're storing. Just like insulin, a high fat/low carb diet keeps leptin regulated.

The primal blueprint is great for getting down to leaner levels of body weight - 10-15% if you're a guy and 18-22% if you're a woman - but it's not great at getting you ripped like a body builder. My theory is because while insulin levels are low and you're not storing fat (which is why it's so easy to maintain by% on PB), your leptin levels are low, preventing really substantial fat loss once you've reached homeostatis. Carb cycling is the answer.

The 48 hour of high carbohydrates send your leptin production soaring. The 48 hour carb up isn't enough to cause significant fat storage, but it is enough to keep leptin levels temporarily boosted. That way, once you get off the carbs and back onto high fat/low carb diet, your leptin levels are still elevated while insulin is low, causing you to release more fat than normal. Once your leptin regulates again and drops, you just do another carb cycle. Each week, you'll drop a little more body fat, but at low levels, those tiny drops show big results.

Body builders seem to do it at a 3/4 split. They seem to go high/high/high/low/low/low. They also tend to focus their heaviest workouts on the high carb days. I'm going to do a 48 hour carb refeed and keep the other 5 days low and see how that works for me. I really have no interest in doing 3 high carb days. The food sucks if you can't incorporate rice, beans, bread and pasta.

The goal is to keep fat levels as low as possible. My breakdown was 15/35/50 fat/protein/carbs. I'm not sure the ratio matters all that much. For someone of my size, I think 200-250g of carbs is ideal. I'd say the same for you since eating under 200g isn't really a "carb up" and is still low carb for most Americans. I'd say shoot for 200-250g of carbs during your carb up, make sure you're still getting 1g of protein per pound of body weight and eat as little fat as possible. No oil, butter, cream, etc. It's chicken breast, whitefish and sweet potatoes basically.

Originally posted by Coconut Girl View Post
                  also, i'm guessing the bulk of the carb should be to restore glycogen levels and should come from stuff like sweet potatoes/taro/yam rather than fructose, right? i'd like to switch things up but obvs i'm going to have to really sit down and plan it out--for my own sake, anyway
                  I don't think the goal of carb cycling for fat loss is really glycogen restoration, it's the boost in leptin. My body's plenty efficient at converting fat to glycogen for my next workout as long as I give it 24 hours. But yes, you want the majority of your carbs to come from complex carbs, not fruit. Body builders recommend 1 piece of fruit with each meal to keep your liver processing carbs as well and not just your muscles, so you should have 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. Obviously, the key here is to keep it low GI - sweet potatoes, apples, berries (I'm eating a mango because I love them and they're mid-GI), MAYBE beans though I haven't had any yet.

My week basically looks like this (fat/protein/carbs):
                  Mon: 60/30/10
                  Tues: 60/30/10
                  Wed: IF
                  Thurs: 60/30/10
                  Fri: 60/30/10
                  Sat: 15/35/50
                  Sun: 15/35/50

I'm wrestling with whether or not to do keto on Thurs and Fri, so that may change to 65/30/5.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• I'm a total foodie. I could read your posts about food all day. Okay, change "could" to "did". LOL.

My latest 30 day PB assessment

Comment

• Originally posted by Metta View Post
                      I'm a total foodie. I could read your posts about food all day. Okay, change "could" to "did". LOL.
                      LoL!!
                      "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                      Currant: 136 lbs
                      Goal: 125 lbs
                      11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

• Haha! Hey, I'm Italian. I can't eat boring food. If I can't have my pasta, gravy and sourdough bread, I gotta find something else to fix my appetite.

Comment

• thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response you're so edge-ooo-ma-kay-ted. seriously, thank you...
                          live mindfully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut Girl View Post
                            thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response you're so edge-ooo-ma-kay-ted. seriously, thank you...
                            The sad part is it took me 3 reads to figure out you meant "educated". I guess I'm not that smart! Don't confuse brains with passion. I'm passionate

But on the upside, look what came in the mail for me today!!

Yep, I wore them out to the bar tonight. And yea, I sprinted home from the train in them. I still went to the gym in sneakers to do my HIIT because I've heard enough from people to ease into these babies. No sprinting for a few weeks til I build my feet up. However, I have been doing my squats, deadlifts and presses in just socks for the past few weeks to prepare my feet for these. I've been wanting to get these for awhile.
                            Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Aaaand on another note, today's Fitday.

I had to guess the nutrition of my dinner, so I don't know exactly what was in it. It was a cajun chicken salad - a chicken breast on lettuce with a little cucumber, red onion, tomato and a sprinkle of walnuts. I used oil and vinegar on the side, and they actually had shakers with olive oil and red wine vinegar, so +1 to Moriarty's, by far my favorite Philly pub. This should be reasonably close to what I ate today. It's on point with every other damn meal I eat. I just can't drop those calories, and I'm still hungry. Grr...looks like I'm carb cycling this weekend!

Comment

• Trying to get my carb count down, I scrapped the bigass salad yesterday and today. Today's lunch was half a pound of steak seared in coconut oil and then baked with an entire avocado, some mushrooms and a jalapeno cooked in 1/4c heavy cream. I'm trying to get that way up and the carbs way down before I snap into heavy carb/low fat tomorrow. I'm hoping that this food manipulation will throw my body into a tailspin and I'll see real progress over the next few weeks...but I'm still drinking tonight...that makes two nights in a row so I'm definitely hurting my chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X