No announcement yet.

When you know better, you do better: Metismomma's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long boring day at work, ended up shovelling snow when I got there. It was a nice walk btw. There was no wind, and you couldn't feel the cold. It was really pretty. I usually hate winter but there are days like today that make me remember how beautiful it can be.
    Ended up buying some enzymes due the gut-brain thread running around. I had been debating and finally bit the bullet. Also found L-tyrosine for cheap so I grabbed that and am going to see if it helps any.
    Had leftovers for lunch, had a hot chocolate at work. Read more of the book "Is your thyroid making you fat?" (So far, very interesting.) Hubby gave me a ride home. Had a licorice cigar that I had lost. Ended up helping him switch bedrooms with the kids.
    Then we ordered pizza. I had an antipasto salad and hot wings. And thats was my whole day.
    Exciting huh?

So this book I'm reading. The doctor in it is using a 28 day long diet to help determine if someone has an issue with their metabolism. Its a 1000 cal/day diet which, if you have a normal metabolism; you would lose weight on. The more weight you lose, the better your metabolism is. Some people only lose a couple pounds which means they have issues with their thyroid. He then prescribes natural thyroid to see if they lose weight, which they almost always seem to do. There is more to it, he goes into detail about the different thyroid hormones, how the TSH test is useless, and most of the symptoms. I just got to the chapter about cholesterol. His premise is that 90% of the time, if someone has high cholesterol; its due to their thyroid.
    Its 9pm and hubby went to bed. Kids are still awake so...some may not be had
    Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Both kids are sick now. K(the oldest) woke up with an earache, and R(baby) had a fever yet again. She's lost 2 lbs due to not eating. She won't take anything to help with the fever, which causes her to toss and turn all night. We ended up getting up at 2am for about an hour. She was complaining that her stomach hurt (hungry) so I gave the only thing she seems to want and enjoy lately...blueberries. Sigh...not even with yogurt. Her throat is bothering her I think. K(thank god) has no problem taking any medicine. I gave her some tylenol for her ear and she went back to sleep. I'll be giving her some oil of Oregano today to help her out.
      I took L-tyrosine before bed last night with my meal. Not such a good idea I think. Ever been really tired but your mind so absolutely clear and just racing? I wasn't impressed but hey, it did specify it was good for mental fatigue...:/
      Checked my weight this morning(IKNOWIKNOWIKNOW!) but I've gained another lb. What is going on here? I'm not eating any more than usual, only thing different is the supplements and possibly the fact that R is finally weaning. I'm also exercising more. I doubt its muscle, that seems a bit fast. Maybe some healing is being done? I will try to keep from freaking out until I gain another 4lbs(130) or if I can't fit in my clothes. My work pants do feel a bit tighter in the thigh than usual...don't freak don't freak...its not necessarily a bad thing... its has been over 6 years since I was burning calories without a baby to help.
      I have been feeling better though. I have more energy during the day, IFing recently has been easier, I feel full longer. I don't feel like I need to eat all the time like I was even a couple weeks ago.
      Calm the f**k down.

Comment

So I'm looking around on the forums atm and there are a ton of advice about calorie restriction. Every thread has something along the lines of "eat less calories, count your calories"
        I'm not going to rant about how ineffective that is. Instead I'm going to curl up into fetal position and try not to have a complete mental breakdown.
        I will forever rue the day I went on my first diet. I was 16. I wasn't that long after my birthday and I was recovering from having the stomach flu. I lost 5lbs from that alone and wow! Look! I fit clothes better! I then started on a 1000cal/day diet.
        It was a horrible evil diet.Why? Because it was successful...really really successful. I ended up losing another 10lbs which brought me down to 105lbs. It took me to a scary place where my whole life revolved around food. I counted calories, I fasted (longest was 3 days with liberal amount of diet pepsi) I lived on diet pepsi, I exercised all the time. I turned to laxatives. My body odor changed, I was always slightly hungry and yet, I always had these thighs. I always wanted to have the type of legs that had a hollow in between the thighs when I was standing. Even then, I didn't. Not even close. I have a lot of muscle on my thighs and all my fat sits right in between. I had a 20 inch waist. My mother commented once when I proudly announced my waist size that she had an 18 inch waist at my age. I wanted to slap her. I know, messed up. This woman that I love dearly, has been dieting for years. She gained weight not long after having me. She was 100lbs effortlessly up until I was born and having me messed her up. I still think she has thyroid issues though.
        Things started changing for me when my mother finally yelled at me for complaining that I needed to lose more weight(at 100lbs) She told me I didn't need to lose weight. That I needed to tone up if anything. In a round about way it planted a seed in my mind that muscle was better.
        But I still find myself doubting myself. What if I am eating too much? Too many calories? Now, its Too many carbs? Am I...
        not primal enough?
        not calorie deficient enough?
        not exercising enough?
        not moving enough?
        Which leads to...
        I'm not skinny enough
        I'm not muscled enough
        I'm not smart enough
        I'm not a good enough mom
        I'm not a good enough wife
        I'm not a good enough person...
        Seriously, all from one goddamn diet when I was 16.
        I'm tired of not feeling good enough! I want to go back to bed and have a mental health day. But I can't. I have kids who need me. And while I want to chuck the whole damn thing, I need to keep moving forward. I don't want to be a broken down shell of a person when I'm old(er) I want to feel good about myself but I need to put in the time.
        Arghhhhhhhhhh....thats it. I'm just going to camp out on Battys journal.
        /picking up tent and heading to Batty's.
        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

/wanders back to journal...tents still at Batty's.
          Up another lb today. Again, not eating more than usual. It could be the result of 1 of 3 things or all three.
          1) baby is nursing less than she used to, once a day on average for the past couple weeks.
          2) I started taking maca a couple weeks ago and its been touted to help increase muscle gain...
          3) exercising more.

I'm going to go with "adding muscle" even though I'm pretty sure its not true. The other alternatives are a) eating too many calories or b) thyroid function is dropping.
          *sticks head in sand*
          *pulls it out because she can't breath*
          How do ostriches do that?
          I'm going to try to take my temps in the morning and see what comes up. Maybe I'll start counting calories again...ergghhh...

Feeling better today btw. Baby? Not so much. So taking the day off work due to sick baby. Both of the kids and hubby have been sick this winter but not me. Worst I have had is a stuffed nose.
          Blizzarding again today. Pretty much white-out conditions. Just noticed I need to prop up one of my plants, its getting tall and flopping over.
          I checked a BMR calculator yesterday and it says I should eating around 1800 cal. 500 cal less to lose weight....1300 cals? really? yikes.

Ok! down to business
          1) I had a couple cups of coffee and 2 slices of pizza today. Yes that right, pizza. I had a "f*ck it" moment and ate the pizza.
          Yesterday: Had spinach, carrot, zucchini and 4 eggs scrambled together. 1 cup coffee, couple cups of tea, roast chicken with green beans and cheese sauce. Also had a couple licorice cigars. Am I cheating more than I can handle? Maybe. And an orange.
          I just plugged in all my eats yesterday and my macros are this
          1625 cal
          21% protein
          14% carbs
          65% fat
          61g carbs, 128g fat, 93g protein.
          Pretty typical day for me.
          hm.
          Calm the f**k down.

Comment

for the record, my weight can fluxuate as much as 8-10 lbs during any given month. i can poop a pound. a pound is nothing.

we'll ignore the pizza. come back to camp, i got a fire started and we're gonna make banana boats.
            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

/wanders back to Batty's
              I gotta warn you, I'm don't eat bananas...do you have any bacon?
              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

/comes running back
                I forgot to do the rest of journalling!
                2)not much moving today, or yesterday. cleaning was done but its not my usual hour of walking to and from work and walking all day.
                3)I lifted child and myself. Going to do arms today. rest day yesterday.
                4)tabata workout yesterday and today. They're addictive!
                5)yesterday no, last night, sort of. went to bed at 9pm, tossed and turned until around 10:30, was woken up at 1am and slept from 2-7am. Could be better
                6)Yesterday no. Today...
                7) Blizzard...I know there is sunlight somewhere. Wth is with all the blizzards? 5k vitamin D
                8)baby slide down stairs yesterday stairs=7, family=0 grrr..
                9)licorice cigars count? I know pizza does :/
                10)probably. I can't remember.
                Ok done!
                /runs to catch up with Batty.
                Calm the f**k down.

Comment

macros from yesterday:
                  1650cal, way too many carbs(over 200g eep!) enough said. It was 44% of my calorie intake.

Surprise, Surprise! I'm another lb. 3 lbs in 3 days. Since my typical weight is 123, this is 5lbs total. I don't gain weight like this. I hover in between 122 and 125 all the time. Have for the past 6 months. real scratch head stuff.
                  Heh, the last time I gained weight like this, I was pregnant...heh....*panic attack* I better get my damn period soon!
                  Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                    /wanders back to Batty's
                    I gotta warn you, I'm don't eat bananas...do you have any bacon?
                    you have just inspired me to make a bacon banana boat.

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                    macros from yesterday:
                    1650cal, way too many carbs(over 200g eep!) enough said. It was 44% of my calorie intake.

Surprise, Surprise! I'm another lb. 3 lbs in 3 days. Since my typical weight is 123, this is 5lbs total. I don't gain weight like this. I hover in between 122 and 125 all the time. Have for the past 6 months. real scratch head stuff.
                    Heh, the last time I gained weight like this, I was pregnant...heh....*panic attack* I better get my damn period soon!
                    you ate pizza. then a lot of carbs. this is water retention.

i swear to god, all the females on here are syncing.
                    sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

I've eaten worse....>.> and a hell of a lot more carbs in one day than that (I'm a bad primal *blush*) but didn't have this steady weight gain. I swear though, even if I am writing that I am, I'm not freaking out. Unless I am pregnant. Then I will freak out.

I'm guessing its the maca. I'm almost done and I'm not going back on it. The l-tyrosine does the exact same thing as the maca but doesn't balance the hormones. Looking at myself, I haven't gained anything in my stomach, in fact my stomach muscles feel stronger(cool) and I seem to have more fullness in my biceps. It will be cool if its from muscle but its probably water retention...somewhere.
                      Calm the f**k down.

Comment

From the calendar, I think I have a period coming up asap *praying*
                        1) ate really low cal until supper where I ate a handful of pecans and a half a chicken. turns out that =1000cal in one shot. Who knew? Sparkpeople, thats who -_- It wasn't on purpose, just how it turned out today with all the food I ate.
                        I had a fairly busy day at work since its 20% discount day and everyone came in to buy all their fancy-schmancy-too-damn-expensive-otherwise vitamins and coughed up a bank vault in gluten free food or bulk grains or nuts or heh..candy. Usually Jellybellys cuz thems not cheap. Despite it being colder than witches nipples today. (-33c/-43c with the windchill, which is btw -43f too) They ordered pizza to eat(I had none)They also had a veggies platter and some sliced chicken, which I did have some of.
                        2) moved slowly all day. Wandered the store constantly, talking to customers, filling bins, stocking shelves, trying not to freeze my ass off.
                        3)Started my arms workout today and just flopped. I was supposed to do my legs but my legs were mush.
                        4)tabata workout...not a good idea. Hit my limit for the week. I barely muscled through and was dead when I finished.
                        5)going o shoot for 9pm again, since I was woken up at 4am. -_- I managed to get back to sleep (and R. too) and finally got up at 6:30 am.
                        6)no playing today, maybe tonight.
                        7)Did I mention -33c? well, we had sunshine but it doesn't count if you can get frostbite while enjoying it. 5k D
                        8)No trauma other than damn cold weather.
                        9)poison...AVOIDED! woot.
                        10)having to explain what certain supplements do, what flours are good when you're gluten free, what this weird thing does, what that other weird thing does. Lots of brain work today.

In the kids say the darnest things category, my oldest K. came running up to me yesterday as she was watching tv and exclaimed excitedly "Mommy!Mommy! I know what an animal doctor is! ....A Vegetarian!"
                        *blink* roflmao
                        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

WTF?! Srsly, what the fucking fuck?! Up another lb today. This is completely hormone driven since there is no way that my body could go from eating more, exercising less and maintaining my weight to suddenly gaining a lb a day. When I have gained weight in the past, it was ' one day x weight, next day, 5lbs' Considering I'm still regular( normally I would be thinking TMI!!! but this is MDA. Nothing is TMI) not bloated, feel fairly energetic(which is pretty amazing) and I haven't gained any inches...hey! maybe my scale is broken?!
                          Its not..:/ meh. w/e Guess we'll see how high I can go before my body says"enough" and gets back to normal.
                          taking bets now! I'm guessing another 2lbs. Wait I'm changing that to 4, since I have 4 more days worth of maca.

back to more interesting stuff.
                          K. is sick again today so I'm staying home again...ugh. I'm going to dose her up with Emergen-C and Sambucol to see if it helps. R. is feeling better. She has a cough but no fever. Hubby is feeling better and went to work today. Merde. Oh well, it is miserably cold again today. I guess I can be thankful that I don't need to take the girls outside. I'm sure my work is going to be super impressed
                          Nothing today exercise-wise, working on recovery.

I'm sick of the girls getting sick. Sugar, bread and milk are now banned from the house. Since I have to take a day off work, I'm cleaning out the cupboards. I gotta say, I'm proud of K.'s treat pick last night. She chose to buy some pecans rather than candy. And R. is busy munching on carrots atm. It could work, just need to get hubby on board.

Anyone have a shovel I can smack him in the head with? <3 <3
                          Calm the f**k down.

Comment

AH! AH!!! Mystery possibly solved and I'm excited about it! No, I'm not pregnant( at least I don't think so)

Digestive enzymes. I've been taking digestive enzymes and Betaine HCL with every meal for the past couple weeks and its working! That means I'm actually getting the nutrients I need! I'm healing! I'm healing!!
                            *happy dance*
                            gosh, I may one day be off all my supplements... I'm so excited and happy its just crazy <3<3<3
                            Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Your weight isn't a number... it's a range. No one weighs the same all the time. In a given day weight fluctuates 2-4lbs. So stop weighing yourself so frequently, and if you feel you must weigh yourself do it in the morning after a fast, before you drink/ eat –this is the only way to compare your weight efficiently, not if you compare your weight to when you're fasted to when you've had a gallon of water.
                              (But maybe you know this...)

I can stop pretending like I'm smart now, or I can go on and quiz you about the things you're eating/ doing to try to pin-point why you're gaining
                              Unless you've actually been diagnosed with hormone/ thyroid problems (these are very rare) I doubt they're the scape goats on this.
                              Trust me, it took me so long to lose weight that I thought I had it... but I just required some tweaking.
                              The leaner you get the harder it is, but even women with 16%BF can lose weight if they really get their ass into gear.
                              All is possible!

Your signature: words of wisdom.
                              "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                              -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Augh I wrote a huge chunk that got erased...

I asked if you just started working out, because in that case your muscles expand and retain more water.
                                Also, unless you're eating strict vlc, there are many foods (mostly carbs, salt and psuedo junk food, like primal pizzas and brownies) can make you retain water.

Are you trying to maintain your weight or lose it?
                                I know it's a big no-no in these primal parts to talk about calroies but... you can't escape calories. If you're eating too much you WILL gain weight. A thing I recently learned is that your calorie need is very subjective and you have to find out what it is yourself. Even if we're the same height and weight you might not be able to eat the same amount as I do...
                                You have to figure out what's the cap (the most you can eat).
                                "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                                -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Working...
                                X