Jac's 'OMG I'm doing this' journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suse View Post
    oh my lordy, you dont like bacon and eggs!!! I would die without these two things in my life. I am prone to exaggeration
    kind of depressing, isn't it??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Hey Jac, I'm with ya on the bacon. It's kind of gross. And I usually like salty things.

I wonder if we're the only two in the entire forum. They're gonna come after us with pitchforks and torches and burn us at the stake! ... at the steak!
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
        Hey Jac, I'm with ya on the bacon. It's kind of gross. And I usually like salty things.

I wonder if we're the only two in the entire forum. They're gonna come after us with pitchforks and torches and burn us at the stake! ... at the steak!
        LOL, I was almost too scared to post it!!
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of bacon, especially if it's really salty and processed. (Salty ham, however, is another story entirely. I have a very unreasonable fondness for that stuff.) I will eat it, but it certainly isn't the first meat on my list to go for.

Maybe with the three of us, we can hold off an assault for a little while ... I hope so, anyway!
          “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

i left my pitchfork back in the US, but my neighbor might let me borrow his.

Comment

Originally posted by inquisitiveone View Post
              Maybe with the three of us, we can hold off an assault for a little while ... I hope so, anyway!
              Defeat them with logic--no bacon for you means MORE bacon for them! Really, you're almost like martyrs for the Primal cause, going without so others can have more...I'm sure it's some sub-conscious, self-sacrificing impulse that makes you dislike the taste.
              Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Comment

Originally posted by sibylsybil View Post
                Defeat them with logic--no bacon for you means MORE bacon for them! Really, you're almost like martyrs for the Primal cause, going without so others can have more...I'm sure it's some sub-conscious, self-sacrificing impulse that makes you dislike the taste.
                Yes, that's exactly what it's all about. I don't like to talk about my generosity, I prefer to stay humbly in the background. But now my secret's out - I actually love bacon, but I don't eat it so there's more for everyone else. I'm such a thoughtful person
                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Not a great day, in terms of finding a balance. I had the bacon and eggs late morning, with a glass of grape juice. Then went shopping for fruit, got really thirsty, bought way too much. By the time I got home at about 4.30 I was shaking with the need to have an apple. Drank heaps of water, ate the apple. Hungry again at teatime, but feeling crappy from the eggs, so had a big plate of watermelon. Starving again at 9.30pm, so cooked a couple of sausages and ate them with some plain lettuce. Had another sausage at 10pm. Now 10.50pm and hungry again.

So, from what I've been learning lately, the fruit spiked my insulin and I started on a kind of cascade of blood sugar/insulin. Is that right? The thing that got it started was the awful thirst - I've been drinking gallons and hardly peeing at all. I'd have thought by now (sorry, too much information) my pee would be really pale, but it isn't. My lips are painfully dry, too.

Any ideas, please?? Am I right about the insulin thing? And do you think the thirst is still a detox kind of thing?
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

While you two try to logic the angry masses away, I'll be busy nailing boards over all my windows and doors like in Night of the Living Dead.

That's a long time to go without food if you're new to this... and if you let yourself get to that shaky-hungry stage, it's easy to overdo it. Plus, fruit eaten alone is just going to drive hunger and sweet tooth, won't it?

Sounds like you didn't have much food for the day at all! I'd be hungry too.

RE: the thirst and your pee, maybe you're retaining water from that bacon salt?
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

I know how hard it is to give up that fruit! I think I'm only doing okay right now because it's winter here and the fruit isn't that great right now.

I have a few comments/advice/what have you:

You aren't consuming dairy because you are lactose intolerant, and the only place you have soy milk is in your tea. As far as I know, heavy cream doesn't have much lactose in it because it's so high fat. A lot of people will argue over whether dairy is "okay" or not, but it's really up to the individual. So proceed with caution on this one

You are eating a lot of sausage, and I'm with you on that because it's super freaking delicious. Here in the states, I have to be really careful about it because a lot of the more mainstream sausage producers load it with MSG. I'm not sure if it's the same in NZ though, but I thought I'd warn you because of the tummy troubles you mentioned!

There is an ingredient in a TON of alternative "milk" products that is used to thicken them--carrageenan. It is a seaweed, so you'd think it would be safe, but it is known to cause serious IBD--I'm talking Crohn's/Colitis problems. You might want to be on the lookout for that ingredient in your foods if you find your tummy troubles persist.

Oh yeah--you don't like bacon and eggs. No problem--if you want something for breakfast, just eat whatever you'd want for lunch or dinner. There is no rule that we HAVE to eat breakfasty foods in the morning!

Some other high-fat nummy foods: coconut milk (good for making curries if you like that kinda thing), aged cheese (very little lactose because the aging process breaks it all down), olive oil, fatty fishes, butter and coconut oil!
                      Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
                      Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
                      More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
                      LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
                      Play more!

Comment

Originally posted by sibylsybil View Post
                        Brilliant—thank you!

For me, it's remembering the taste of real bacon from when I was a kid ... the stuff most supermarkets sell these days is more like those fake bacon bits than what I grew up on. I know better bacon is available, but I can't afford it regularly, and probably should watch my sodium anyway.

My primal journal

Comment

It sure looks to me like you are still eating too much fruit, especially since you aren't eating very much overall. Where's your fats? Consuming fat is very important in keeping you satiated. And yes, I think you're right about the insulin—the fruit is spiking it. The thirst could be detox, or it could be related to your insulin levels.

Forgive me for not remembering, if you've stated before what the causes of your tummy troubles are ... butter is usually tolerable for those with lactose problems (but not with casein sensitivities), as are aged cheeses. Some lactose-intolerant people can handle raw milk, since it contains the lactase enzyme needed to break down lactose (lactase is destroyed in the pasteurization process). But if lactose and/or casein are issues for you, I'd strongly urge you to steer clear and let your digestive system heal before trying raw dairy products.

Is there a reason you aren't eating a lot of veggies? With a few notable exceptions (potatoes being one), they tend to be filling but lower in carbs than fruits. They'd be in season for you now, too, so should be abundantly available. If I don't eat them in a salad, I like to either sauté them in butter or olive oil with whatever herbs I like, or roast them in the oven (425° F) with olive oil and herbs until crisp-tender.

One other thing occurs to me: if you're eating mostly bacon and sausage, that's a lot of processed meat, with sodium, nitrites, etc. That certainly is contributing to thirst issues (possible water retention as well), and might be part of your digestive issues. If you can switch to eating less-processed foods in general, that might help clear the tummy troubles up.

Do you have coconut flour available there? Since you don't like bacon and eggs for breakfast, if you can find coconut flour you can make grain-free, protein-rich muffins and such ... slather one with some butter, coconut oil, or nut butter and that'd be a delicious primallish breakfast.

Most importantly, don't forget to take it easy on yourself. You're making a lot of changes in your life, and that in and of itself can be hard on your body. Maybe making just one change a week will help you adapt. If you want to try that, I'd recommend changing from fruit to vegetables be the first. Don't give up—this is probably a temporary phase and you can get through it!

My primal journal

Comment

Thanks so much for the answer - I have a feeling that the grape juice, coupled with the very salty bacon and then going out without water, started that fruit binge. I was desperately thirsty.

I am lactose intolerant, so butter is fine. I don't like the aged cheeses, sadly. I clearly have a very limited palate, lol. The processed meats were, I think, a result of lack of planning on my part, as well as some complicated emotional stuff about not being able to cook myself a good quality meal if my husband isn't having any (or has already eaten and bloody well shouldn't have another meal!!). More about that below.

I don't think we can get raw milk here, but I've bought some lactose-free milk, and I've just had a glass of it with some protein powder and berries. If it doesn't suit me, I'll shortly be getting cramps and diarrhoea, followed by joint aches and a flu feeling. I chose to have a big serving of it, so any niggly pains and tiredness can't be attributed to the milk. If it happens, it's going to be a major event. Will see how things develop!! It was lovely, though!

Excellent news today, though - my husband is starting the PB life as well! He has the caveat that he loves his muesli and bread, so they're not off the menu, but I honestly think he'll forget about them if he's eating well. He's the kind of person who can really 'forget' to eat lunch and never gets the shakes/lightheadeness and irritibility like I do. He's probably about 15kg overweight, mostly in his belly, chest and neck, so I can't wait to see the real him emerge again!! We've just been for our first primal shop, and totally loved getting pork hocks, pork slices, lovely marbled steak etc. We also bought a cauli to see what the cauli mash tastes like, as well as peppers. We have tomatoes in the garden, and have loads of greens in the freezer, as well as fresh lettuce. Tonight we're having hoki fillets cooked in butter, on cauli mash. Will let you know how it goes! The best thing for me is that with him on board our whole lifestyle will change.

I also found a lovely woman in a small organics shop, who is really interested in sourcing coconut flour and a non-dairy/non-soy protein powder. She thinks she can get some almond powder. Cool!!

Today I'm having insulin issues I think - am feeling very shaky. Eggs and tomatoes cooked in olive oil for breakfast, and that protein shake with full fat milk for lunch. Just a constant low grade tremor, and was hungry before I had the shake. I think I just need to eat carefully today and hopefully it'll pass by tomorrow.
                            Last edited by Jac; 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM.
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Totally forgot to say that I weighed today - lost 1 kg last week! Bloating is heaps better, and still pain free. Life's good (now don't stuff it up, lol).
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

maybe you need a healthy snack in there between breakfast and lunch? macadamia nuts and/or unsweetened/organic coconut flakes work great for me! Just a handful can keep me full for a couple of hours!

Great news on the loss - glad you're feeling better!
                                ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X