Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

today-

B. tea, 2 sausage links + a little porkchop
    L. tuna with avocado, celery, boiled egg, olives; celery, carrots & pastrami
    S. attack of the pork rinds!!!!
    D. scrambled eggs, broccoli, canadian bacon, 1/2 pork chop

activity: walked to store, and to farmer's market to get csa box, carried home 10 awkward lbs of foods...

keep on going just keep on going..

as far as the day1-without-coffee went, almost dozed off a few times. i think i'm ok with eating every few hours until i can get things back in order.

landlord has given us permission to turn the backyard (now gravel!) into a garden, and the front yard (now dead grass) into a succulent/low-water garden. excited!
    primal journal - the book of meatabix / food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by bix View Post
      today-

as far as the day1-without-coffee went, almost dozed off a few times. i think i'm ok with eating every few hours until i can get things back in order.

landlord has given us permission to turn the backyard (now gravel!) into a garden, and the front yard (now dead grass) into a succulent/low-water garden. excited!
      Quitting coffee sound really rough, but you can make it through! Also, HURRAH for your new garden-to-be. Especially the front garden, which sounds incredible; I thing that succulents are fantastic and xeriscape gardening is so interesting, as well as the fact that it will be much better than a) dead grass or b)using tons of water and fertilizer on the stereotypical 'lush, green American lawn'!
      Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Comment

Originally posted by sibylsybil View Post
        Quitting coffee sound really rough, but you can make it through! Also, HURRAH for your new garden-to-be. Especially the front garden, which sounds incredible; I thing that succulents are fantastic and xeriscape gardening is so interesting, as well as the fact that it will be much better than a) dead grass or b)using tons of water and fertilizer on the stereotypical 'lush, green American lawn'!
        So far so good on the coffee! I have a this cocoa-based yerba mate that I've been drinking, still get pretty sleepy without the coffee but hoping if I can get my sleep back on track, I won't be sleepy during the day as much.
        Very excited about the front garden! Grass doesn't really grow in southern California, and we don't believe in trying to make it grow enough to waste water on it, so it's just dead most of the year. There are some really pretty succulent gardens on the street so I'm going to start taking pictures and getting inspired. I have a couple succulents and they're the only plant I can't kill! Love them.

Comment

day 12, still going!

I have not turned on the computer because the weather is beautiful and I'm avoiding homework.
          In previous semesters, I'd end up binging & purging on Saturdays, then using the rest of my day to walk to a coffeeshop and feel miserable trying to chug out some homework for hours on end, caffeinated and sugared up, then still end up spending most of the night wide awake trying to do homework.
          This whole primal/paleo experiment has got me thinking that it's just better to get it all done in one go with the least time invested, because it's important, yeah, but it is not life, and I am at a point now where I can sit at home and not be stuffing my face all day. I think I was pushing myself way too hard but in the wrong ways, and not getting anything done anyway.

So, let's see. Lunch has been the same all week, breakfast has been sausage. Thursday we stopped at the farmer's market and got some sausages and raw meat for the cat. We grilled lamburgers and had some beet greens sauteed in bacon fat. Last night I marinated swordfish in lemon juice, olive oil, basil, dill & garlic and steamed some broccoli, and made some cauliflower "rice." Haven't done much exercise since weights on Tuesday, but plenty of walking. I did lots of walking this morning to the farmer's market (yes, there really is one every day of the week here, and yes, I'm going to take advantage of that!) and got killer avocados and duck eggs, walked to the Mexican grocery store and got lard and a ton of veggies. I had a huge brunch: pork rinds, guacamole, steak, eggs.

Here are the lamburgers from the other night, and my huge-arse brunch from this morning:
          031211post..jpg

Today I have laid around, ate more pork rinds, and my pants are getting bigger. This is how I feel most of the time: I'm eating a crap ton of meat and fat, and getting happier, getting less fat. It still does not really click in my brain!! But I'll take it. I'm going to lift later when the sun goes down and yeah, I guess, homework.

Comment

day 13-

031311food..jpg

brunch was at our favorite "farm to table place," eggs, octopus, bacon, fruit.
            dinner was leftover tri tip, cauliflower rice, broccolini + red frills cooked in bacon grease
            snacks were many clementine tangerines, still only at 15% carbs for the day thanks to copious amounts of guacamole (these two things were not eaten together!) and some fresh coconut meat.

now...this farm to table place is supposed to be all about using the entire animal and using only locally sourced ingredients, which i trust, and will pay for because i trust what they tell me...my boyfriend ordered a burger and fries, and i stole a fry or 6 or 7 off of his plate because i figured they were probably fried in beef tallow or lard. we asked the server 'if they were fried in lard,' after the fact, and she got this look of horror on her face and said "no! canola!" whaaat!? what's done is done, but it does make me kind of wonder what else they are putting in this overpriced farm to table stuff. where in san diego do they grow canolas, for one?

exercise-
            we rode the tandem bicycle for about 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, and later i walked to the coffeeshop to do homework. iced herbal tea, but the coffee smell was killing me!

the hour difference is already throwing me off

Comment

still doing the whole 30. kind of getting sick of it, kind of not? I did not want to cook today and just wanted some kind of opiate-ish carb-or-cheese-fest tonight. I do love the way I feel eating this way, but I am still pretty addicted to food. I'm halfway through; I'm not going to quit now!! I was feeling a little ill this morning, but I had made a stir fry last night with about a tablespoon of soy sauce and some pea sprouts, so I'm pretty sure both or one of those were the cause. Crazy. Work was depressing today, and I ate too much when I got home and then took a nap. I was putting off doing my lifting. I woke up and was still grumpy (I'm always grumpy after waking up, no matter what I'm eating!) but later felt like doing the lifting, so I did it.

yesterday was good, I probably ate too much between lunch and dinner, but it was all paleo and whole 30...but I want to stop that habit.

every year, daylight savings time messes with me....I'm going to nap or get more sleep or something to try to offset it, though, because every year I always end up burning out and falling out of healthy patterns just because I can't ever catch up on sleep.

Comment

breakfast - sausage link, 16 oz coffee (i'll explain that in a second)
                lunch - salmon with avocado, olives, celery, mustard, lemon juice, hardboiled egg
                snack - carrots, celery, hard boiled egg, 1/2 sausage link
                dinner - grilled 1/2 lb ground buffalo, nopales salad, sauteed chayote squash <-- this was all delicious. i might be able to eat a whole buffalo, someday.

activity - probably only about a mile today. missed the bus, boyfriend drove me to work, and i didn't walk much at work. missed the bus because i could not stop sleeping, argh.

coffee- had to meet with someone at work. we had a good conversation, and then, i have no idea what just happened at work, but, i think it's a good thing? this is the strangest job i have ever had, and it got stranger, and jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, please, strangeness, pass soon.

losing more fat! all i do is eat piles of meat (oh and walk and toss heavy things occasionally) - so awesome.

feeling great, not feeling like i need dairy or anything (today, at least) the coffee was starbucks, which i hate to begin with and could never drink without much cream and stevia. drank it with cinnamon, and that was all. i am really believing that my tastebuds have changed.

found a good supplier of grass-finished meat last night online, they come to our sunday farmers market. really excited for that - we can get grassfed meat from the wednesday/thursday market but they're a little sketchy with their processing sometimes (nitrites?!) so i'm not sure i really trust it.

another random note about the coffee - haven't had it for a week and a half, it made me extremely jittery and unable to focus, but definitely woke me up...i am thinking i may keep coffee as a once every week or two thing. i love the stuff. we'll see how late i end up getting to bed tonight, first!
                Last edited by bix; 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM. Reason: notes about coffeeeee

Comment

dinner - grilled 1/2 lb ground buffalo, nopales salad, sauteed chayote squash <-- this was all delicious. i might be able to eat a whole buffalo, someday
                  Haha, I had a mental image of an entire buffalo on a spit--- which I don't think would result in even cooking, in practice. Still, sounds delicious, though. I was reading about increasing popularity of buffalo meat the other day and was wondering if I could get a buffalo skin cape, since that's what the plains Indians used to stay warm.... although I guess you wouldn't need that in Southern California!

Comment

Haha, I had a mental image of an entire buffalo on a spit--- which I don't think would result in even cooking, in practice. Still, sounds delicious, though. I was reading about increasing popularity of buffalo meat the other day and was wondering if I could get a buffalo skin cape, since that's what the plains Indians used to stay warm.... although I guess you wouldn't need that in Southern California!
                    LOL - I would totally put it on a spit, all by my little self! haha. Ground grassfed buffalo is one of the few things I can find at the big chain grocery store in walking distance, it's definitely yummy but I wonder how quickly the popularity will cause the poor buffalo to become another factory farm operation
                    A buffalo skin cape sounds really cool, I wonder! I think I've seen buffalo leather, but yes I'm definitely in the wrong climate for a cape, unless I took to sleeping outside in the desert. with my buffalo on a spit. heh!

Comment

work. work? I'm just going to ignore work, today.

food! food was same old same old sausage and salmon for breakfast/lunch. I did have another small cup of coffee today, I blame work.
                      Dinner was local pastured pork sausage; roasted delicata squash, kale, and red frill; cabbage coconut milk curry concoction. all the veggies were from the CSA box, and all of the veggies were cooked in lard and bacon grease. LARD. yes I said lard. yes I can see my abs beginning to come out of hiding.

activity - less than 2 miles of walking I think. lots of meetings today and way too much sitting today. I'm terrified of getting varicose veins.

things like this really amuse me - my pants are getting loose, and this was previously only "possible" if I was eating under 1200 calories a day, skipping meals, chugging coffee. Here is today:

butimshrinking..jpg

f-a-t!!!
                      deliciousness. I'm not even really counting the amount of fat I dump into stuff while I'm cooking, so that might even be under a bit.
                      ...admittedly, this is probably too much pork for one day, but I'm eating salmon at lunch, and the huge farmer's market sausage was supposedly properly raised, so, maybe not so bad.

I still think sometimes how nice it would be to just give in and get some crap food from the convenience stores at work, or how much I don't feel like cooking dinner, or maybe I should get coffee and put cream and sweetener in it - but I don't, and at the end of the day it feels so much better. This food is good for me. This food is satisfying without making me (a) want more food and (b) bloated for the next 36 hours, thus hating my body for the next 36 hours. This food is good -> this body is good. Cooking after sitting all day is actually becoming a really nice de-stressing ritual, no vodka required!

Comment

This food is good -> this body is good. Cooking after sitting all day is actually becoming a really nice de-stressing ritual, no vodka required!
                        I like this!

I feel like home-cooking is a way of being good to the self. In my family, cooking good food for others is a way of showing love, so even when I'm just cooking for myself, I feel motivated to make good food.

Comment

I like this!

I feel like home-cooking is a way of being good to the self. In my family, cooking good food for others is a way of showing love, so even when I'm just cooking for myself, I feel motivated to make good food.
                          I almost want to hang "this food is good, this body is good" on the wall, lol.
                          Cooking is definitely good for the self, plus the family! There's just something great about putting together a meal, from a recipe or just trying random ingredients. It's a nice way to end the day, too. Making food using a lot of fat has really made me appreciate both cooking and eating a lot more. I was definitely oil and fat phobic before, and constantly hungry...and wow, this is so much better.

Comment

Weekend!!!! where did you go?

I have stuck to the whole30. It is easier every hour, I swear.
                            I haven't stuck so much to the coffee - but I like the taste. love the taste. I do not require it to wake up every morning now, so that's good enough for me.

Friday I walked a lot after work, and then was up late doing homework.
                            Saturday I dragged myself out of bed to walk to get a haircut (2 months late! sometimes I forget how much things like this help everything, I'm not very good at being female...) and walked back home
                            The fun part about all this walking is tht we have a ton of little ethnic markets all over and I got a lot of different seasonings and weird veggies; yesterday I did lamb shanks in the crock pot. It was SO GOOD. Dripping off the bone tender and fat fat fat fat fatty wonderful fat. I drained the broth and used it for dinner tonight, which was cabbage, kale, a wee little eggplant (smaller than a tomato!) and coconut milk curry-ish. We had wild turbot fillets too. This morning for breakfast I put some sausage and eggs in a thermos - I usually just snack on cold sausage at work, but it was nice to have warm breakfast today! It's rainy and yucky. Yesterday we also got some grassfed pork, beef, pork belly; and local pastured eggs. Lunch today was leftover caldo de pollo, with half of an avocado tossed in it. Why, why CW did you ever convince us that "saltines" were good in soup? avocado in soup is to die for.

I've been snacking on dried unsweetened cherries and baker's cocoa. Not really chocolate, it is very rich and very bitter and very very satisfying.
                            Oh, and, pork rinds, but kind of sick of the taste now. yes, you can OD on pork rinds!

The more I stop worrying and fretting, the easier all of this is. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, but I think since I've been pretty good about getting 6.5-7 during the week, it didn't kill me today alright, I missed the bus, and really wanted to call in sick, but I'm going to blame daylight savings and the rain!!

Saturday I did weights, talked to my mom for a while (have been avoiding that due to the work uncertainty situation which might not be uncertain as of late? it was nice to talk to her though) walked a little bit more and...I think that's it.

clothes are definitely loose this week, and I see little bits of muscle sometimes. love this!

Here is some of the stuff I devoured all weekend
                            food032111..jpg
                            (sunday brunch, lamb shank!!!, turbot/cabbage)

Comment

today - just walking to/from bus stop, around at breaks.

food - eggs & sausage for breakfast, salmon with avocado, HB egg, and a little of the sweet potato from the lamb the other night. the sweet potato (or maybe it was the lamb fat the sweet potato was cooked in?!) really made lunch fantastic.
                              snack - carrots, celery, clementine, carne asada + guac + pork rinds
                              dinner - 2 sausage links, cabbage/eggplant/zucchini/kale curry-thing.
                              had 5 dried cherries, a small piece of cocoa mass, & coconut butter after dinner.

I am thinking of continuing on with the whole 30 until easter. It doesn't seem like it should be done soon, and I'm not sure if I'll do something stupid or not right after it's over, so...just thinking. Maybe splurge on something on day 31 then go through til easter, not sure yet.

I meant to lift today but the evening has been full of lots of homework, and a professor who does not do much but dish out cocky comments and not teach, and then the ever-dreaded friday 4am deadline for the other class. argh! will lift at some point this week and not fuss over missing it.

Comment

I am bad at updating, again.

I lifted on Thursday. Wednesday? One of those days. I ate about 3000 calories on that day too - including some fruit. Grapefruit is decadently sweet for me right now, it was awesome. Felt like crap and IFd the next morning; I ate a little too much coconut and that was giving me indigestion to the point of acid reflux. I had been making curry all week and it was perfect, and the curry paste I was using was from a little middle eastern store around here. I was looking at the different pastes in the store and picked the red one, because after 10 ingredient list scourings I was absolutely sure it did not say it had sugar in it, but all the other versions did. Well, after the curry was all said and eaten (and delicious) another foray into ingredient scouring of the same curries revealed that yes, the red paste did have sugar in it. But I had been feeling sluggish, binge-ish, and chubby and I'm going to attribute that solely to an unknown amount of sugar accidentally ingested!! I've since gone to the Vietnamese market and found pure curry pastes. Curry and cabbage has been dinner for a while, thanks to a 5.2 lb napa cabbage from the CSA. We have so so so many leafy greens, too, and BF has noticed he has not gotten sick, despite a bout of flu invading his coworkers, possibly because of the increase in leafy greens for dinner. Awesome!

The Vietnamese store we found maybe about a mile from the house is seriously awesome. All kinds of meat - rabbit, fresh fish, beef heart, all kinds of fish and a stunning amount of cheap veggies. We will be doing rabbit sometime soon, I need to figure out how to slow cook it...but right now we have way too much leftover stuff in the fridge from the farmer's market so not yet.

Yesterday we took the train up to see my parents. It was an experiment in hilarity and unpreparedness in transit. We took the city bus to the train station, which was actually fine and dandy, but then...the train station we wanted to get off at was, no joke, the epicenter of a huge freaking parade that started about 3 minutes after we got off the train. Cowboys, guns, horses, parade. My dad was supposed to come pick us up but he didn't bring his cell phone. So we got a hold of my mom, and she came down to pick us up one by one in a 2-seater car. My dad finally made it home, in his bed slippers (it was a last minute decision to come pick us up!) forehead-vein bulging and barreling in the door like an angry gorilla, but everyone was laughing at the whole ordeal after it happened. Turns out he had to park quite far away, across a freeway, running through all of this in his slippers looking like an angry older version of The Dude, ran through the parade a couple times dodging horesh*t, and finally gave up and came back home.
                                We went to a little brew pub for lunch and I got some pulled lamb; it was intended to be a burger so I didn't eat the bread but did have a few (disapointing) fries, the aioli sauce, and some hard cheese that was on the pulled lamb. Not too bad. I also had some brie at my mom's house because I was really hungry after the little bit of lamb, and had some leftover curry after we got home last night, and some pork rinds & cucumber.

This morning we had a bunch of bacon we had to cook before it went rancid so I had a ton of bacon, tons of sausage, and an egg, and a little avocado. yum! Don't know if I'll be hungry for dinner and no idea what I should cook..maybe...MOAR LEFTOVER CURRY. We might take a walk, and I should probably lift again. And, homework, boooo.

Comment

Working...
                                X