• Inquisitive One's Primal Journal

Beginning Stats: (01/27/11)
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 158 lb.
    Bust: 37.5"
    Waist: 33.5"
    Hips: 40"

Goals:
    More accurate, improved goal: To reduce body fat (especially abdomen and thighs) and increase muscle mass so that I am reasonably lean and trim by my birthday
    Original goal: To lose approximately 30 pounds by my birthday (the big 50, in September)
    Improved overall health

Methods:
    Primal diet and IF
    martial arts training + primal strength workouts

Current Challenges:
    Overeating
    Asthma attacks limit workouts
    Last edited by inquisitiveone; 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Are you taking vitamin D3? May help asthma.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
      Are you taking vitamin D3? May help asthma.
      Yes; I've been taking it for about three years now.

My primal journal

Comment

Another challenge: corn. If there are tortillas or chips in the house, I cannot resist them. For now, I'm working on limiting how much I eat in a day.

My primal journal

Comment

No corn yesterday! I'm happy about that. Tonight I'll have salmon for dinner, probably broiled and with a garlicky mushroom sauce. Not sure what veggies to have with it.

I'm itching to see if I've made any progress in losing weight, but will not step on the scale just yet. My face doesn't look any slimmer, and it usually does reflect weight loss, so I'm avoiding possible disappointment. My jeans feel a little looser in the waist though.

My primal journal

Comment

Two days in a row without corn—and there's some crisp tostadas in the house, so it isn't as if I'm accomplishing this without major temptation at hand. I also noticed yesterday afternoon that I was overeating again, so I was extra disciplined about not snacking after dinner. I didn't go to bed with an unhappily full stomach, which felt good; and surprisingly, I didn't feel as hungry this morning as I have other mornings.

I have joined the Worldwide Pullup Challenge of 2011. If memory serves, I've never done a pullup (or a chinup) in my life, so this will be a big challenge for me.

My primal journal

Comment

I went to the park this morning to try one out and major fail. I just hung there. I was glad everyone was still sleeping when I went.
              Georgette

Comment

I was glad everyone was still sleeping when I went.
                Aw, you're doing a good thing—don't be embarrassed over it!

How long did you hang? Doing that helps build strength too. Every small step gets us closer to our goal.

My primal journal

Comment

I may have hung for a few seconds. I wish there would have been a bench there so I could have tried negatives. Oh well.
                  Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by inquisitiveone View Post
                    Two days in a row without corn—and there's some crisp tostadas in the house, so it isn't as if I'm accomplishing this without major temptation at hand. I also noticed yesterday afternoon that I was overeating again, so I was extra disciplined about not snacking after dinner. I didn't go to bed with an unhappily full stomach, which felt good; and surprisingly, I didn't feel as hungry this morning as I have other mornings.

I have joined the Worldwide Pullup Challenge of 2011. If memory serves, I've never done a pullup (or a chinup) in my life, so this will be a big challenge for me.
                    Yay you! We are going to get those chins over those bars.

Robin

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                      I went to the park this morning to try one out and major fail. I just hung there. I was glad everyone was still sleeping when I went.
                      Next time take a folding chair with you and do the assisted kind. Don't give up.

Comment

Gah! My daughter asked for popcorn last night, and I couldn't resist it. I didn't eat as much as I would have before going primal, but still—it's corn. And I'm hungry already, which is unusual for me. Gonna have to work harder on keeping away from the carby snacks after dinner.

I gave in to curiosity this morning and stepped on the scale. It said I'm down four pounds, but I'm not seeing it. Anyway, it's still motivation to keep at it.

I did some pullup work yesterday, negatives mostly. Between that and knuckle pushups at the dojo, my triceps and lats are letting me know they were worked! I haven't decided whether today will be a rest day or if I'll do a little pullup work.

My primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Yay you! We are going to get those chins over those bars.
                          Yes we will! And with that in mind, I think I will follow the advice of the chick in one of the videos pointed to in the pullup thread: do something toward the goal every day. I may just hang today, but I will do something.

My primal journal

Comment

Yesterday was a corn-free day—but it was not without effort. Pretty much every time I thought of food, I thought of quesadillas and using the tostadas to make nachos. But I resisted!

I also obsessed over the scale. Since beginning IF and the primal lifestyle not quite a month ago, my weight has dropped by as much as four pounds, but no more than that. I know it's silly to check it as frequently as I do; and I know that overall fitness is much more important than weight loss—but I still look to that number on the scale as an objective indicator of progress. It's easy to persuade myself that my tummy looks smaller, or that there's a bit more muscle definition, when there really isn't; the scale doesn't care what I want to see—it shows what is.

And so I celebrate every time the number is lower, and lament every time it has crept back up—even though I know such fluctuations are normal. I'm going to have someone hide the scale so I can break this obsession before it gets any worse. Weighing myself once every two weeks is more than adequate to track genuine progress.

All I did yesterday toward the pullup goal was to hang, once, as long as I could. My upper arms, chest, and lats are still quite sore from the day before's efforts. Today I plan to hang some, and also do at least two negatives. I also will be doing some knuckle pushups, as they work the triceps more than palms-down varieties do. After my last class at the dojo, I noticed that my endurance seems to be improving; I had no breaks yet performed fairly well throughout the class, with no dizziness nor shortness of breath. Sensei commented on that as well, so it isn't just my imagination. So there are other signs of progress, too.

My primal journal

Comment

Everyone is going to tell you this and it's true- forget the scale! If you are interested in getting firmer or smaller, then it's only your measurements you need to focus on.

Comment

Working...
                              X