No announcement yet.

Inquisitive One's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a very good day. My results have inspired me to reduce my cheats some; all I had that could be considered a cheat today was an apple. (I try to have an apple every day because they help asthmatics with their breathing.) I'm not obsessing about carbs, so I don't consider a small amount of fruit the end of the world. I am really liking how I'm feeling, even if I don't see a lot of difference in the mirror yet. I did notice as I was whisking my eggs for my dinner frittata, that my belly wasn't jiggling—another small item that brought much happiness. I still have plenty to lose there, don't get me wrong; but it's good that the little I've lost just one month in has made a change like that. That really motivates me to keep at it, too.

The snow melted off before I could shovel it, but I got plenty of exercise other ways. I used the front pegs on my pullup bar to do some slower, more controlled negatives before training at the dojo. Lots of lat and core work—I'm feeling it! Going to get into a bath with some Epsom salts (for the magnesium) here in a few. Should sleep really well tonight ... lungs are feeling good too, so I hope it works out that way.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

Gah. It's mortifying to have to do this, but honesty requires me to. The very day after talking about reducing my cheats, I cheat. My son asked for a coconut cake; I made a coconut-orange cake based on coconut flour, with a touch of maple syrup for sweetness. I ate two pieces of it, outside of my eating window (I do IF every day—fast 19 hours, can eat during the other 5), along with the flesh of the orange (juice and zest went into the cake) and an apple. I suppose it could have been much worse, but the lack of self-control is troublesome. I get into such arguments with myself!: telling myself I'm expecting too much, going grain-free and as sweet-free as possible, intermittent fasting, and increasing my activity level ... but another part of me says that if I can have the self-discipline to train regularly in karate (and do the work, which does take self-control in our dojo), I ought to be able to control my eating habits too.

I did a fair bit of exercise yesterday, which somewhat compensates for my eating lapses. Using the front pegs on the pullup bar, I can hold for a second or two before dropping in a controlled negative; I did a few of those yesterday for one set, and for the second set did some two-leg-assisted, very slow pullups. I noticed that I've reverted to a very old, bad habit when doing this work: I hold my breath. Must work on that. Two sets of squats (25 each, thighs were quivering when done); front plank for 1 minute, side planks (on knees) for the same time; and knuckle pushups on knees (don't remember how many, but the last few were tough to complete).

Not sure what to do today ... the ex may be taking the kids and me skiing (downhill) tomorrow, so perhaps today should be a rest/move slowly day. But I don't feel like moving slowly or resting. I like feeling my upper body getting stronger, and my core strength deepening—and skiing tomorrow isn't a certainty. Ah, but tomorrow never is a certainty ... stay present to the moment, grasshopper. Perhaps that's the real key to my self-discipline challenges.

My primal journal

Comment

After all my cheating on Friday, I decided to go off the fast over the weekend, to see how my eating habits would respond. True to form, I did a fair bit of overeating—not nearly as much as I used to, but still, it's overeating. I think for now that sticking to my intermittent fasting schedule is a good idea.

I had another helpful datum over the weekend. Sunday morning we were up early, getting everything ready to go skiing. The kids wanted pancakes, so I obliged them; I'd planned to make myself a couple of fried eggs. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and ended up eating some of the pancakes. That was the first wheat I'd had since January 25. About an hour or so later, I noticed my nose getting stuffy, and I had the awful smell that I associate with sinus infections. My nose is still stuffy and unhappy, but thankfully I don't detect the smell any longer. I was also a bit more wheezy yesterday than is usual. I think that's pretty compelling evidence that wheat is contributing to my allergy/asthma issues, so I will be much more diligent about avoiding wheat.

The skiing was great; my legs were strong and the only soreness I have today is in my calves, probably from strapping my boots on a bit too tightly. Aside from the pancakes for breakfast, I had some sugar in the hot cocoa we took with us, and an apple. Since my arms didn't get much work yesterday, I did some very slow bicep curls with a ten-pound weight for my pullup challenge work. I'm feeling that just a little bit today. I'll probably wait to see how training at the dojo goes before I do any pullup work today.

My primal journal

Comment

Good day today, overall. I ate a bit too much before training, and almost got sick during warmups—I hope that teaches me! I did not overeat at dinner, or afterward, and am enjoying the feeling of being pleasantly full. Didn't have a lot of pushups during warmups, so I'll do some pullup work before going to bed.

Other good news: I spotted my hip bones today! It's been far too long since I've seen them. I was very tempted to weigh myself before hopping in the shower, but I resisted. That felt good. It helps remind me that I do have willpower.

My primal journal

Comment

Pretty good day yesterday. No real pullup work, so I aim to make up for that today. Had dinner with a girlfriend; she made organic, grassfed lamb and a yummy sautéed vegetable mix, along with a GF muffin and some fruit for dessert. The lamb was delicious; I haven't had it very often, and every time I have it I wonder why I don't get it. Probably the price ... Anyway, the dessert probably had more carbs than I've had in some time, and may account for my hunger so early this morning. My morning tea didn't do much to assauge it, which is unusual.

I see the beginnings of some midline muscle definition in my abdomen, as well as a budding two-pack. My thighs are also looking leaner, and with more muscle definition. Huzzah! My first inclination was to hop on the scale to see if I've lost any weight, but I have successfully resisted that impulse each time it's arisen. I don't want to weigh myself more frequently than every two weeks ... so far, so good. Another goal is to do more moving slowly; I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough of that. It's difficult when I have so many tasks to do that require sitting ... which means it's a good idea to investigate some sort of setup where I can stand and work at my computer.

My sinuses are stuffy, which may be a lingering aftereffect of the wheat I ate on Sunday; more likely it's my laziness about doing sinus rinsing. My bedroom also needs a good cleaning. There's part of my "move slowly" solution right there!

My primal journal

Comment

Yesterday I did a negative on the pegs of my pullup bar, and actually hung for 2–3 seconds before having a slow, controlled trip down! That's a big step forward for me in my pullup quest. It's also quite a surprise, as most of what I've been doing lately I considered piddly stuff: deep knuckle pushups (on knees so I can get 10+ reps); and a couple of days of bicep curls. Maybe they needed more attention than I thought. Anyway, I'm very pleased at that achievement and am inspired to work more diligently toward my first full pullup.

Other than that, yesterday was a rest day ... but in reality, it was probably too restful. I didn't clean my bedroom, and did hardly any slow moving. The weather was wild and windy, and rainy to boot, and I just wanted to curl up with a cup of tea all day. So that's what I did. My son made a delicious primal beef and vegetable soup for dinner last night, which was also warming and filling. Haven't been hungry all morning.

Today's another training day at the dojo, but I think I'll do some pullup work—taking it a little easy—before that. I'm being considered for promotion at our next test, so gaining strength and endurance can't hurt that ... as long as I don't hurt myself.

It's my turn to make dinner tonight; it'll be baked chicken thighs and probably something with the head of red cabbage I bought the other day.

My primal journal

Comment

Lots of salads lately, and lots of pullup work—negatives and bicep curls, mostly. I'm up to 60+ seconds on planks, but only facing downward and one side. One of my sides (I'm forgetting which) is significantly weaker than the other; my best time on that side is about 45 s. All planks hurt my wrists. Lots of squats yesterday, and I could have pushed myself a little more with them. Despite all this work Thursday and Friday (and karate Thurs.), I woke up this morning with no muscle soreness. Amazing!

I had some popcorn yesterday; other than that I've been quite good about avoiding grains. Starting to look forward to my data–collection session on Thursday (weight and measurements).

My primal journal

Comment

Good day yesterday. I got in about 2 hours of moving around slowly, visited friends (which helped keep me from overeating), and did some other exercise. Naturally I did some pullup work—but I ended up frustrated because I couldn't hold myself in the initial position for a negative with my hands in a normal pullup grip. I can do it using the front pegs but not with my hands on the bar (haven't tried a chinup grip yet). Maybe that shouldn't be the next step in my progression to doing full, unassisted pullups; I know I have plenty of work ahead so I'm trying not to let the frustration stick with me. I also did two sets of squats: 40 in the first and 35 in the second. I could have done more in each set, but at those counts my thighs were burning and trembly, and as I did this before the aforementioned visit, I wanted to be sure I could walk somewhat normally. I do think I need to push myself a little harder in the LHT workouts ... my rationalization for not doing so is I don't want to be sore or injured for karate training, as I'm being considered for promotion. It's a valid concern, but wimpy: gaining strength will help my work in the dojo, as well—as I have already seen in my pushups.

I noticed over the course of the weekend that my fasting interval has been decreasing. Saturday I had brunch with a girlfriend, which totally shot that fast (but was oh so delicious! and mostly primal), and Sunday I ate around noon, before visiting my friends. If I'm not more mindful about this, I could easily slip back into grazing/snacking whenever I get bored or stressed. I don't need that kind of overeating back in my life; trying to deal with the overeating I occasionally lapse into now is quite enough.

Many people on here who do IF claim not to feel hunger during their fast, once they've acclimated to it; but I'm not among them. Even on a 16–8 fasting/eating opportunity schedule, I usually feel hungry well before the 16 hours are up. (I suspect that that is part of what's driving the overeating, too.) Sometimes drinking water or tea will eliminate the hunger, but sometimes, it doesn't. Normally, I'd be wondering if I'm eating enough, but I've been training pretty hard at the dojo on this eating schedule and have had no issues there (and I did have these kinds of issues earlier in my training), so I'm confident I'm taking in enough calories. Guess I just have a growly tummy or something ... in any event, my focus is on dealing with my health and fitness, not trying to make my experiences match anyone else's.

My primal journal

Comment

Had an interesting datum regarding eating and training yesterday: I drove a friend to a medical procedure, and by the time it was done I barely had time to get home and get my equipment before heading to the dojo. I'd eaten an omelette before leaving for my friend's house, but had nothing—not even anything to drink—until returning home. I grabbed a banana and drank a small cup of water before training, but still felt light-headed about 2/3 through class. I'm really glad today is a rest day; my quads are tired, and a nagging muscle strain in the middle of my back started acting up again last night. I'm not even going to do any pullup work today, unless I feel like doing some bicep curls.

Been researching contributory factors in my allergies and asthma, and discovered that mercury in fillings is likely part of my problem. I can't afford to have all the amalgam removed right now, so I'll probably start drinking milk thistle tea and eating more cilantro to help move what I can out of my body. I recalled that during a winter trip to México, my asthma cleared up enough for me to not need any meds; and when I returned to the Pacific NW, it returned with a vengeance. I've been taking 5,000 IU of D3 a day for some time now, but still notice a seasonal cycle to my breathing problems; so I've decided to up the dose to see if that helps. I'll also be exploring some other treatment ideas I've found, in hopes of significantly reducing (maybe even eliminating) the winter breathing blues from my life. Right now my sinuses are so blocked I cannot breathe through my nose at all. I'm thoroughly miserable, and tired to boot because I slept very poorly last night, and have been awake since 5:30.

In happier developments, my body recomposition seems to be continuing; both my thighs and upper arms are showing more muscle definition, and even my face looks a little slimmer (well, except for my stuffy nose). Measurement day is tomorrow!

My primal journal

Comment

Six-week stats:
                      Weight: 151 lb.
                      Bust: 37"
                      Waist: 31" ⇒ loss of another inch
                      Hips: 39"

That's another three pounds in just two weeks. I think I've been better—especially in the last week—about not overeating. I have been very disciplined about not eating grains after the pancake unhappiness a couple of Sundays back; even under conditions where my will would've dissolved previously, I've stood firm. That feels good—but I'm not sure if it's really discipline, now that I know that wheat messes with my sinuses. I simply don't want the discomfort and everything else that comes with it. This I consider genuine discipline: I was in my favorite coffee house yesterday, and ordered a just plain latté—no flavoring in it, and not even one of their delectable gluten-free treats.

I got some milk thistle yesterday (this shit is expensive!), and got a couple of doses in before bed. I think it's too soon for it to have any noticeable effect, but perhaps it coupled with changing my bed sheets was what allowed me a better night's sleep last night. My sinuses are still quite blocked, though ... this place needs a thorough cleaning, so I guess I'd better stop delaying that.

Meantime, I'm going to celebrate my success with some pullup work!

My primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by inquisitiveone View Post
                        Six-week stats:
                        Weight: 151 lb.
                        Bust: 37"
                        Waist: 31" ⇒ loss of another inch
                        Hips: 39"

That's another three pounds in just two weeks. I think I've been better—especially in the last week—about not overeating. I have been very disciplined about not eating grains after the pancake unhappiness a couple of Sundays back; even under conditions where my will would've dissolved previously, I've stood firm. That feels good—but I'm not sure if it's really discipline, now that I know that wheat messes with my sinuses. I simply don't want the discomfort and everything else that comes with it. This I consider genuine discipline: I was in my favorite coffee house yesterday, and ordered a just plain latté—no flavoring in it, and not even one of their delectable gluten-free treats.

I got some milk thistle yesterday (this shit is expensive!), and got a couple of doses in before bed. I think it's too soon for it to have any noticeable effect, but perhaps it coupled with changing my bed sheets was what allowed me a better night's sleep last night. My sinuses are still quite blocked, though ... this place needs a thorough cleaning, so I guess I'd better stop delaying that.

Meantime, I'm going to celebrate my success with some pullup work!
                        hellooooooo!

Just "dropping by" before I head off to work the body hard. I just wanted to say "well done" on the stats!! Weight loss - and seeing hip bones - and muscle definition!! Woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                          hellooooooo!

Just "dropping by" before I head off to work the body hard. I just wanted to say "well done" on the stats!! Weight loss - and seeing hip bones - and muscle definition!! Woohoo!
                          Thanks very much, Denise. I hope that now that your epic period is over, you'll be feeling better. It's too bad that overthinking doesn't seem to burn a lot of fat, isn't it?

My primal journal

Comment

It's too bad that overthinking doesn't seem to burn a lot of fat, isn't it?
                            I'd be slender - a slight wee thing, willowy, ethereal, fragile and all the other words NO-ONE will use to describe me

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                              I'd be slender - a slight wee thing, willowy, ethereal, fragile and all the other words NO-ONE will use to describe me
                              Well, maybe slender at some point. But you wouldn't want to be wee, ethereal, and fragile, right?

My primal journal

Comment

Well, maybe slender at some point. But you wouldn't want to be wee, ethereal, and fragile, right?
                                always thought "ethereal" sounded lovely - sort of floaty and transparent. Fragile - NO. wee - well, its a term of endearment to some??

BUT yes, I'll settle for slender at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X