No announcement yet.

Primal journal (mummybeelee)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, they are a minimal, vibram sole, wide toe box etc so like barefoot but with protection from the elements

They are from here http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm

I snagged these in the sale. Mine and Lilia's are both RunAmocs and Noah's are children's Classics.

I just missed out on the shiny red RunAmocs they listed the other day. Gutted! lol! I think I might save up and treat myself to some design your own ones next time if I get on well with these. Their newsletter said they have two new designs of running shoes coming soon as well
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

I love the green ones! We go barefoot 95% of our lives here (since we're in one of those phases where we don't go out much). Inside, outside, upside down, we're shoeless. Every time i see my daughter's feet, I beam with pride at her "caveman toes," lol. They're so nice and spread out, not at all bent inwards like most people have these days (me included).

I'm checking out the link! I knew they made baby shoes, but so cool they make bigger sizes, too!
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Lilia, Noah and I are usually barefoot in the house and outside as well for the summer. Summer is rather tragically short here though! lol! I never have liked wearing socks or shoes (although I adore high heeled shoes and have quite a collection, I don't actually wear them very often! lol!) and both Lilia and Jess take after me with that.

Jess is the total opposite and refuses to go barefoot even on the beach. Aspergers and associated sensory stuff make it just not worth the battle with him to get him to wear more minimal shoes. Getting him to accept a new pair of shoes when his old ones become too small is a big enough battle!

I have worn crocs for most outdoor stuff for the last few years as they are so easy to kick on and off and don't feel restrictive to my toes. I think the Soft Stars may take over that spot though! They will take a little longer to get on and off but the natural barefoot feel is so lovely.

I have large, wide feet (UK size 9) and Lilia has large but very narrow feet so finding shoes that fit can be a challenge. Soft stars are perfect for both of us! It is so lovely to find somewhere that makes them in adult sizes.

In other news, Jess started again with the stomach bug last night. Poor kid was so miserable That meant another night on the sofa for me. Thank goodness we bough one that is long and wide so I can sleep comfortable on it!! Jess finally settled enough to sleep around 3am. Then Noah woke up at 6.30am. I have yawned my way through the day so far!

Hubby is not convinced he can do completely primal so has decided to ease into it. He took cereal for his breakfast this morning and then complained that he was gassy all morning. That has convinced him to at least limit his grains, cut out bread completely and aim to cut other grains and sugars. He was thinking of quitting completely but knows he needs to make changes so for now he is doing modified primal. With me doing 99% of the cooking, that will still work out fairly primal overall I think
        Bee
        Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
        My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

Yay for Soft stars! They do custom sizing as well, I am planning some to fit my crazy wide feet

Sorry about the bug, ugh x
          Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
          Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
            Yay for Soft stars! They do custom sizing as well, I am planning some to fit my crazy wide feet
            I think you'll love them! I am enjoying mine and Noah and Lilia choose theirs over any other shoes. I am suffering with chilblains again (got them last year as well). The downside of preferring barefoot in a cold climate while living in a house with no central heating! I am wondering if a pair of the lined softstars, maybe the ramblers, might be a good winter investment for me. I hate wearing even socks in the house but my toes are sooo sore

I have had a very tired and sluggish week. Irritable and feeling exhausted. yucky pmt! Appetite was up a bit so I just went with it. More primal carbs and probably more food overall. AF arrived this morning though so hopefully I am heading back to happy land! hee!

I went swimming again last night. usual pool craziness for the first half hour. I got the giggles at one point imagining it as primal, survival swimming and turning the hazards mentally into ones Grok might have encountered...those girls diving in without looking were falling rocks, the float propelled in my direcion by teens not looking where they are going were crocks, the bunch of splashing fools were white water rapids! hee! Daft but it made it more fun and kept me from getting irritated with them. It is a bit tricky because I am so short sighted that I can;t see what is going on at the opposite end of the pool before I set off so swimming a length is a bit of a zig zag gamble.
            The last half hour of adult only swimming is bliss!

Tonight we had around 3 tonnes of sticks delivered and my hubby, dad and I have spend just over an hour logging and moving/stacking them. Now that was a primal workout! Some of those logs were a struggle to lift!

Now sitting down with a pile of ribs and a glass of red wine to enjoy "Human Planet" with the family. Life is good
            Bee

Comment

Yikes I am aching already tonight. I think I am going to be sore tomorrow! A long soak in a warm bath is in order I think. Next time I help with shifting logs, I will remember not to wear lip gloss. Sawdust sticking to lip gloss is kind of gross! lol!
              Bee

Comment

Well I am a little sore today, can feel it in my biceps and shoulders especially, but not as terrible as I imagined and I feel great overall. My stomach feels a bit sensitive today due to AF and I am not feeling hungry. I usually end up having breakfast/lunch some time around now but think I will just have coffee for now and see how I go.
                We are going to costco once hubbie is home from work so I can grab a salad there if I get hungry. I have my fingers crossed for dinner out tonight but we'll see what he thinks.
                Bee

Comment

Well dinner out didn't happen but a late lunch out did Chinese buffet. Yum! I am sure there were dodgy oils and sugar etc in some of the sauces but I kept it as primal as I could and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yesterday we worked on getting a load of wood split. It was a lovely sunny day. Cold in the wind but warm where we were working sheltered by the trees. The kids played out and occasionally helped us with stacking the spilt wood, the dogs ran around enjoying the fresh air, Dh and I chatted while we worked and then we all came in and enjoyed a primal dinner (roast chicken, mixed roast veg and broccoli) and watched Human Planet.

So much better for me to be out getting fresh air and working with my husband than being stuck in the house watching the kids, doing housework and resenting it! Instead we shared both the outdoor and indoor work and actually had time together.

As a huge bonus, I am actually developing some muscle!

Look!!

IMAG0286 by mummybeelee, on Flickr

IMAG0285 by mummybeelee, on Flickr

Ok..so it is not all that impressive as yet but considering all I have been doing is the primal fitness bodyweight exercises a couple of times a week, swimming once a week and helping out with shifting and splitting wood, I am impressed if no one else is! lol! I like knowing that as the body fat goes down, there will be some definition there to enjoy

I also realised today that my collar bone and shoulder blades are starting to reappear. Oh hello body I haven't seen you for a while! lol!
                  Bee

Comment

Woo hoo! That's some legit definition.
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Hee! Thanks
                      My daughter is very impressed. lol! I like that she thinks me having some muscle is cool. There is so much emphasis on being thin, looking a certain way etc and I worry about the messages she is getting from society at large. Their school is a health promoting school but the message she seem to come away with is that being thin is good and being fat is bad. Doesn't seem a very healthy message to me and I feel they need to think more about being strong, fit, healthy etc and mental health issues rather than just about body size.
                      And they also give a rather mixed message in her case as she is naturally slim and athletic. Kind of looks like a puff of wind would blow her over but she is far stronger than she looks and has a lot of stamina. It was suggested to me last year (before I started primal) that more carbs in her lunch would stop her being tired She was taking either a sandwich or wrap or breadsticks each day or a soup or pasta salad along with plenty of fruit and veg, dips, cheese, yoghurt and sometimes a cereal bar or other sweet treat. Yeah her lunchbox isn't full of chocolate bars, donuts, cake, sugary deserts etc but really I don't think adding them in is going to give her more energy She was tired because she is dyslexic and wasn't getting the right support, was worrying about school and not sleeping well due to worrying! Nothing to do with what she was or wasn't eating And has anyone ever eaten a carb heavy lunch and then felt energetic in the afternoon?? Would send me straight into a carb induced slump!

Goodness knows what they think this term now we have all gone more primal. She still takes the occasional wrap or crackers but the majority of her lunches are meat, eggs, veg, fruit, yoghurt, cheese etc. There was a comment this week about her being "thin enough already". Ugh! She is perfect for her age and height (like me she is tall). Do they really expect me to feed her sugary rubbish to put more weight on her?? I think she looks thinner beside her peers who stuff their faces with sweets and chocolate, fizzy drinks and crisps on a regular basis.
                      Funnily enough, nothing is said about my son who is 98th centile for height and weight and eats the exact same diet as she does! lol!
                      The amount of rubbish the vast majority of my friend's kids eat really shocks and saddens me. It just seems so accepted as the norm and my kids stand out by having "treats" in moderation.

I just hope the messages they are getting from us have a stronger influence. I am glad hubbie and I are both working towards being more fit and healthy. Actions speak louder than words right?! And I am glad she sees muscle and strength as a good thing for women

On a different subject, I realised I haven't recorded my food here for a while.

The weekend wasn't the greatest food wise with the Chinese buffet on Saturday and I also had some green and black's chocolate ice cream, a few glasses of red wine and quite a lot of 85% dark chocolate over the weekend. Still it was consciously eaten and thoroughly enjoyed so it is fine imo.

Yesterday was :
                      B: Couple mugs black coffee
                      L: ham with melted cheese and mustard with spinach with butter and lime juice. Couple squares 85% dark chocolate
                      D: Steak with salad (mixed greens, avocado, olives, tomatoes, peppers, hard boiled egg) with butter and hot sauce dressing
                      S: Mug of chai with cream

Today:
                      B: Coffee
                      L: 4 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs, salsa

Plan for dinner is steak with fried egg, fried onion and tomatoes and probably some spinach with butter and lime juice (LOVE that stuff!)
                      Bee

Comment

Today has been manic and food was a bit all over the place as I just grabbed what I could as I dashed in and out of the house

B/L: Chunk cheese, strawberry, few squares dark choc, coffee
                        L/D: 2 duck eggs scrambled, slice ham, spinach with lime juice and butter, grated cheese, mug green tea

Think I might have a mug of chai in a bit.

Did my swimming tonight. Usually I eat around midday and then eat again when I get home from swimming. Today B/L was around 11 and L/D was around 4 so I am not really hungry atm.
                        Swimming was usual craziness but I did 10 more lengths than usual. Not sure how that happened as I wasn't pushing myself, took same amount of time etc. Weird!

I did my bodyweight stuff last night and have moved up to level 2 in all the PBF areas apart from pull-ups as I haven't started those yet. Need to nag hubbie about making the bar again.
                        Also had to buy a new belt today. I had to buy one a few weeks into Primal as my jeans were falling down. At that point I bought an XL belt and was on the second hole. Over the weeks it has gotten further down the holes and was at the point there were no tighter holes to move it to and my jeans were falling down again. Today I bought a size large and am on the first hole. I hope to see a similar effect with this belt although I expect it will take a lot longer with this one.

I have a long way to go before I am truly strong and healthy and have a good body composition but things are moving in the right direction

Must remember to drink plenty tonight. Usually I wake up totally parched on a Friday morning as I forget to drink enough after swimming and using the steam room. I have always been hopeless at remembering to drink. I am tuning in to knowing when I am hungry or not but I don't seem to have good thirst signals
                        Bee

Comment

Decided I was hungry last night so had an avocado and some greek yoghurt with frozen berries, vanilla and cinnamon and a square of broken up dark choc along with my chai.

I feel a bit bloated today. Yesterday was very dairy heavy so that may be why? I think I am fine with some dairy but would be better sticking to butter and some heavy cream occasionally with a little grated cheese for flavour occasionally as well. Not the chunks of cheese and greek yoghurt like yesterday. May have to experiment with dairy free completely at some point. I have been dairy free in the past when breastfeeding.
                          Bee

Comment

Wow, I just got really inspired by your journal, and the belt shopping in particular Very visible, tangible way to see the progress! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Aww thanks Fable! The belt thing is a great way to see things are going in the right direction. It is hard to see progress sometimes with so much to lose but that shows me it is happening.

I saw a friend of my mum's today who I haven't seen for a few months. She didn't recognise me at first! She was asking what I have been doing as I have lost so much weight and look great. Also bumped into my midwife (from when I had Noah 3 1/2 years ago) last week who said the same. I don't think I have dropped a huge amount relative to how much I need to lose but it is obviously noticeable and I think the energy and general improved health show as well. A lovely ego boost

Yesterday's eats:
                              B: 3 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs, spinach with butter and lime juice
                              D: Rack of ribs, a dozen olives, couple of glasses red wine

Did a whole heap of baking last night for fund-raiser today. Made the mistake of licking the spoon a couple of times and actually cringed at the sweetness! Pre primal all leftovers would have been polished off with gusto. The fudge didn't set properly so I have a heap of ginger and dark choc fudgy slice in my fridge and am not even tempted by it. Weird!

It was an early start to help out with the fund raiser so breakfast didn't happen. When I got home I made pork medallions fried in pesto and chillies stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in pancetta and baked. Served up with salad greens with balsamic dressing. Yum!

We are going out for dinner tonight so hoping there are some primal options on the menu. Hubbie actually said after lunch "I hope dinner tonight is as tasty as that was!" He also commented that the chips he had the other night (his primal eating only stays primal when I cook for him!) were really bland and boring. It is amazing how much our tastes are changing. real food is delicious!
                              Bee

Comment

Lovely, lovely night out at a local restaurant which is superb. It is a place we go to once, maybe twice a year as it is quite expensive. I went hoping to be able to choose mainly primal options but knowing I would probably drink lots of wine and would have a desert if I liked the idea of one by the time I had finished my main meal.
                                All the meats, fish etc are local and cooked to perfection. I don't know what oils, sauces etc they use but my palate has become pretty sensitive to sugars etc and everything tasted very real food.
                                Starter was totally primal. Scallops with avocado purée and salad. Delicious!
                                Main was pretty primal. Slow cooked belly pork with king prawns, carrot jus and a potato. Totally divine!
                                I decided to have a desert and ordered a chocolate gateau which was served with berries and hazelnut ice cream. It was totally gorgeous! Very rich, dark chocolate and more ganache like than cake like. The owner came by our table as I was eating and actually commented on how I was clearly enjoying it as I was taking my time over it! lol!

Far too much red wine was consumed and my head is not happy this morning! Bacon, eggs and spinach and a couple of mugs of coffee are helping a little!

My mum and dad were babysitting and after we got home, they stayed here chatting with us and drinking (more) red wine until some ridiculous hour this morning.

So, last night involved a few non primal indulgences but I don't feel a single shred of guilt as every mouthful was enjoyed I also don't feel like it has triggered any urge to keep eating non primal or more carbs or anything so, for me, it was a sensible indulgence to enjoy a lovely evening with friends and great food. Yum! It was also nice to hang out with my parents like that.

Now how do I shift the headache?? lol!
                                Bee

Comment

Working...
                                X