No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I go to the pool, and there's a gym too. I walk by a bored-looking woman on a stairmaster type machine.

Meanwhile I proceed to play/work out by going up the stairs and down the waterslide for 20 minutes.

By my math, each "lap" on the waterslides works out as follows:
    60 stair steps up (they're tall!)
    90 walking steps to get from the splashdown to the steps again.
    36 walking steps equals one pool length of 25 meters.
    Therefore, 90 walking steps = 62 meters.

So 10 "laps" of waterslide = 600 stair steps + a 4/10 mile walk + 10 waterslidings-o-fun.

Anyway, so on my way out, I see the same woman still parked on the stairmaster, still looking terribly bored. And I couldn't help but think, we both just got basically the same workout, except I had fun and you look bored!

So here's a question for you all...

I think of this as fun play (despite my math above) but of course I guess it's also a workout. I'm walking and going up steps in cycles. So does this qualify as move slowly or maybe a bodyweight exercise with all that stair-climbing? Chronic cardio? (nooo! Say it ain't so!) Some hybrid?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

ahhh. great way to look at it.

(Oh man, I havent been on a water slide for years - I am very jealous! I hope you flew down a bunch of different ways - forwards, backwards, tummy heheh

I think it counts as moving slowly plus body weight...and not because that's what you want to hear ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
        I hope you flew down a bunch of different ways - forwards, backwards, tummy heheh
        Considering I have a still-healing incision on my tummy... no, not this time, just sitting. Plus I think they're one of those boring pools that enforces feet-first! But whatever, I prefer it that way. It was loads of fun. Flying by the beams of the ceiling of the place adds excitement and you wouldn't see that as well unless feet-first!
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

i love your workouts! i'm actually a little jealous. i can imagine how much more relaxed and sweet i'd be if i could regularly go out and play! i LOVE swimming, and would do it every day until i dropped if i could.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

We are definitely lucky to have such a nice indoor pool facility less than a mile from home.

We have a family membership, too -- my toddler likes the water, for wading anyway. They have a baby area with little fountains she can stick her hands in, and she digs that. Once I'm officially allowed to lift her again, I will get back to bringing her periodically.

Too bad Optimus isn't into pools, he gets too cold! (Having no protective blubber layer will do that to ya...)

Comment

I LOVE your waterslide play! What a great idea! We have a community pool with an awesome waterslide not too far from here... I think I will take my girls soon!

Not sure exactly how to "count" it, although it for sure qualifies as moving frequently - I think the key difference between that and cardio is what your heart rate got to. I think that if I were walking up those stairs so many times, it might raise my heart rate beyond the 55-75% range...? Do you pay attention to that?
              50 yo single mom
              5'3"
              Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Aila View Post
                I think the key difference between that and cardio is what your heart rate got to. I think that if I were walking up those stairs so many times, it might raise my heart rate beyond the 55-75% range...? Do you pay attention to that?
                Hmmm. Well by the time I got to the top of the stairs, I was a little winded. But then I was back to relaxed by the time I got to the bottom of the slide.

At least it's a cyclic exercise rather than constant huff-puff the whole time. Maybe it's sorta lowgrade sprints.

Comment

Jenny when can you start the exercise component of the Primal Leap, and is the food and exercise in the program calibrated (i.e are you meant to be at the same stage for each).

And what are the Leap forums like? I am intrigued...and still wondering if its something I should try

Comment

Hi Mog -- nope, they don't seem calibrated. Which is good since arguably I started the food ages ago and still can't exercise. My doc appointment is next Thursday and they ought to tell me I'm good to start exercising, though they'll probably tell me something useless like "take it slow on the abs" heh. But they said on the phone I can swim already, so that's nice.

Leap forum categories:
                    • Welcome video
                    • Meet and greet
                    • Podcasts (there are only 2 so far, about 40 minutes each)
                    • Ask podcast questions
                    • Diet
                    • Exercise
                    • Odds and Ends
                    • Success Stories
                    • Journals

So, it's pretty similar to here. But -- the Leap forums are kinda deserted. Since there are fewer people there, I admit I don't see much point in posting there instead of here -- unless we want the staff/mods to answer something.

However, if I wanted their response, I'd just email them. But I don't have any questions for them. Well OK, I had one, which I asked ages ago -- I wanted Mark's take on whether broccoli sprouts are grains (seeds) or baby plants. He wrote back right away that they're baby plants. Yay!

Comment

Jenny, love the waterslide workout. Definitely better than cranking out steps on a frickin' stairmaster.

I've been super sore the day after being at the waterslides with my kids. Especially when they were really young and I'd carry them up most of the time.

Comment

Miraculously, I haven't been sore after either the waterslide day or the swimming day, despite being incredibly out of shape post-baby. I take this as a good sign that I'm not overdoing it!

I am sure the docs will give me an all-clear at the appointment on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                          Hi Mog -- nope, they don't seem calibrated. Which is good since arguably I started the food ages ago and still can't exercise. My doc appointment is next Thursday and they ought to tell me I'm good to start exercising, though they'll probably tell me something useless like "take it slow on the abs" heh. But they said on the phone I can swim already, so that's nice.

Leap forum categories:
                          • Welcome video
                          • Meet and greet
                          • Podcasts (there are only 2 so far, about 40 minutes each)
                          • Ask podcast questions
                          • Diet
                          • Exercise
                          • Odds and Ends
                          • Success Stories
                          • Journals

So, it's pretty similar to here. But -- the Leap forums are kinda deserted. Since there are fewer people there, I admit I don't see much point in posting there instead of here -- unless we want the staff/mods to answer something.

However, if I wanted their response, I'd just email them. But I don't have any questions for them. Well OK, I had one, which I asked ages ago -- I wanted Mark's take on whether broccoli sprouts are grains (seeds) or baby plants. He wrote back right away that they're baby plants. Yay!
                          aaahhh. Good to know. Glad I am not missing out. Thought it might be like some smug secret society ;-)

Comment

PRIMAL LEAP POST 9

Week 3:
                            Exercise:
                            I give up. I’ve been up with the baby since 3:30, and am near the point when the other one will wake up for the day. The night before, I was up for 3.5 hours, and had to get up at 7:00 for the other. I don’t mind it although sometimes I get frustrated if too exhausted.

In no way can I commit to any regular schedule of exercise, nor can I commit much time or energy to any new projects, until sleeping patterns for all of us stabilize. I’ll exercise when I feel like it (which IS one of the Primal recommendations).

I do think the Primal (or mostly Primal) eating is making a difference.

Lifestyle Action Item 2: Commence a Use Your Brain Endeavor:

I HAVE read a bunch of the latest chapter of Anachronauts, but am moving at a slow pace (same with work-related projects). There’s only so much I can do at this time. I AM enjoying it, and want to do more.

Regarding cooking, Jen is actually learning new recipes and I have been observing (or sitting with the baby). I will fix the Bane recipe chicken this week, however. One thing I DID enjoy was stocking up on steaks during a sale and vacuum packing them today. I love our freezer! Thanks, Jen!

This week in the Primal Lifestyle Laws:
                            Success rating: I don’t know...5 to 7 out of ten, maybe, considering our circumstances.
                            Difficulty: 8 or 9 out of 10
                            Satisfaction: 2 to 4 out of 10. I think I’m getting frustrated, mostly because I am very tired. I AM enjoying it all.

Sleep: I just mistyped this as “Speel”, and had to retype.. Need I say more?

Play: We have continued to play with our kids. That’s about it for physical play for me, although Jen did have that pool workout with the slides.
                            Challenges to this include lack of good weather, sleep, energy, and time. It’s beginning to get better.

Sunlight:
                            There’s been very little of it this week, although we had a beautiful day this week, one of those that’s so bright it looks like it should be fifty to seventy degrees. But then I wen out and it was like, twenty. I enjoyed the view, but it’s still too cold to be out and not completely bundled up.

Avoid Stupid Mistakes:
                            I am still losing things due to sleep deprivation. Usually I am very organized.
                            I tend to curse too much when extremely tired or afraid. I did so in front of my kid yesterday. That’s not good. A few days ago I cut my finger with that blue knife in one of our food pics. It’s VERY sharp.
                            I just need to slow down, especially when tired.

That’s it for Week 3.

Comment

SOME THOUGHTS

Habits: I was talking to a recovering alcoholic with severe social anxiety as well. She stated that she traveled alone for the first time, and even had to do a transfer at a strange airport. She observed there that they had many bars. It occurred to her that she could drink there, and nobody but she would ever know. It occurred to her that she could, but she never actually considered doing it. I was proud. She let the thoughts enter freely, and then let them go.

Exercise equipment:

-Ab Hula Pro: (http://www.abhulapro.com/store/Ab-Hu...One-Pay.html): about $200.00, plus shipping.
                              -Hula Hoop: Between $4.00 and $40.00 (also easier to store) (http://www.google.com/search?source=...671bfb490be9b3)

Comment

Ab Hula Pro?! Hee hee. But we totally do need hula hoops! Sounds fun!

Interesting info here about hulahooping as exercise. Talks about sizing and why a weighted hoop can be easier to keep going. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wei...-hoops/AN01638

For those who haven't seen it, this video is a must.

Comment

Working...
                                X