No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning my renewed effort to lose weight, so I'm updating my numbers according to the Primal Leap formula here...

Daily goals

According to my original zero activity calculations, I should shoot for 1,200 calories. Seems pretty low and aggressive to me, particularly since I am going to be doing some exercise now... but at least then I have room to overshoot and still be fine.

Protein calculation is the same, so my goal is
    72 grams of protein.
    Carb calculation is the same, so my goal is 80 grams of carb.
    Fat Calculation:
    72 grams of protein daily = 288 calories of protein daily
    80 grams of carb daily = 320 calories of carb daily
    So of my planned 1,200 calories daily, that leaves this many for fat = 592 calories of fat daily
    Divide by 9 calories/gram = 66 grams of fat.

I am sure I will tweak this in the future as I see how things go when I'm actually eating properly and exercising, but I figure this is at least a default starting point. And carbs are actually the highest macronutrient of the three so I don't think I'll be in crazy low-carb distress.

To sum up, the current plan is:
    Calories: 1,200
    Carbs: 80
    Fat: 66
    Protein: 72

So if theoretically a default day is
    3 stew + a salad + some fruit, the typical day would go like this:
    Calories:1,354
    Carbs: 84
    Fat: 82
    Protein: 78

If I go with 2 stew some days instead (which I often do), the typical day would go like this:
    Calories: 1,057
    Carbs: 73
    Fat: 64
    Protein: 55

I am not planning to obsess about all this, but it's interesting to see what a difference plus/minus one stew makes. Really the stew containers are not always consistently filled so there will always be some variability there, and of course I am not really eating stew as a staple EVERY day.

In practice these are sort of aggressively low numbers -- I ought to be able to lose weight even if I'm consistently at or near that upper value of 1,354. (extra true since I'm exercising again now.)

And I can't really imagine overshooting that level of food without going off-plan, so... sticking with primal/paleo foods should do the trick. Wow, what an unexpected revelation.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Saoirse -- the pool is indoors and heated which is great for the upcoming cold weather... and the pool has two four-story tall waterslides, too!

Just walking up those steps and sliding and walking up again feels like just as much of a workout as swimming! But it's not as whole-body as swimming, so I don't do that as often. It's nice to have the option though.

PF -- I feel Birmenlightened.
      Last edited by Jenny; 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM.
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
        PF -- I feel Birmenlightened.
        That word is the foremost, and possibly only, good thing to come out of Birmingham.

Oh wait, Black Sabbath. Okay, I guess Birmingham gets a temporary reprieve.
        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
        Blog
        sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, but notice Black Sabbath _left_ Birmingham as soon as possible.

Comment

• Good point. Fuck Birmingham.
            The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
            Blog
            sigpic

Comment

• I wouldn't mind getting into swimming (in the winter). Good exercise...and you get clean at the same time!

Comment

• Yeah, I definitely like the not-sweaty-while-exercising aspect. No chub rub factor either.

As for getting clean... my skin is not always happy with it but I seem to do OK as long as I rinse off well afterward. I keep my hair dry while I swim but I wash it afterward -- the dechlorination shampoo running down probably helps my skin, too.

Comment

• I'd love to do two things this winter: swimming (once or twice a week) and climbing (twice a week). If I could get into both of those, I think I'd be doing pretty well.
                  August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• both would be awesome! there's an athletic center here that offers climbs on their wall for just $5/hour. i'm still trying to find a sitter who's happy watching my kids on a weekly basis.
                    my primal journal:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Not bad! $10 here, but no hourly rate. Just $10 for as long as you want, plus a few bucks extra for rental gear.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• A few of the local YMCA's that have climbing walls the charge is $5 for the entire day and that includes equipment. I may have to try that this winter sometime as I'll have time to myself during the week.
                        Georgette

Comment

• Bwaaahahahah. So I was talking with our 2.5 year old daughter about her friend's birthday. I mentioned that winter is coming and after winter in a few months, it will be her birthday.

She was suddenly alarmed and declared, "I don't want cake! I don't like cake!"
                          "Honey, for your birthday, we can eat whatever you want. Don't worry."
                          "I want stwawberries. Birthday stwawberries."

Ahh, my primal girl.

Comment

• how adorable!

our climbing wall requires that you bring your own equipment. i'm not entirely sure what equipment is necessary other than bouldering shoes.
                            Last edited by Saoirse; 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM.
                            my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                              our climbing wall requires that you bring your own equipment. i'm not entirely sure what equipment is necessary other than bouldering shoes.
                              Harness, shoes, (chalk bag -- pretty cheap, those), a helmet (sometimes) and rope (if belaying). You can't rent any of those? If not, the harness will set ya back quite a bit, as will the shoes.

Comment

• ya, no rentals. kind of a bummer.
                                my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X