Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESPONSES, GOALS

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
    I told Optimus I was going to come to the forum and rat him out -- my eternally skinny husband is under 120 pounds again.

Don't get me wrong, he's clearly one of those naturally skinny people. This is pretty normal for him. And he already looks good naked. But, well, I worry because this doesn't leave his bod a lot of leeway in case of health emergency, yanno?

He's had more exercise lately but apparently not the calorie load to support it. Kinda at a loss here. Presumably he needs more carbs, calories, both.
    Hi! I'm actually within the normal range, but at the bottom, so if anything bad happened I might be less resilliant and more afffected.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    people of his sort of body type are actually at risk for a lot of things -- like a lung just collapsing for no reason. So while it is hard for them to put on and keep on weight, it's actually critical for their health. certainly not to be fat -- but to eat a fair bit, and also lift weights and try to put on some muscle. they tend to have very high metabolisms, that body type.
    Agreed. I DO have a high metabolism. Even when I was running cross country, walking three miles home (always missed the activity buss), and roller skating hours a day, all for fun, I was between 115 and 120 lbs.

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
    Grats Optimus. You are now the weight of my left leg
    Heh.

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    wow, he weighs less than i do. good luck on that front, i hear gaining for some is as hard as losing is for others.
    It can be difficult.

Originally posted by geostump View Post
    Start spoon feeding him coconut oil. Maybe mixing some cocoa powder in it with coconut or bacon pieces for more flavor?
    Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    if i needed to gain, i'd make a big batch of chocolate ganache and freeze it into bite-sized portions. yumm!
    Originally posted by canio6 View Post
    This is an excellent way to make friends I am sure.
    Originally posted by geostump View Post
    I still think some bacon crumbles would be awesome mixed in with that.
    I like coconut oil, but it has to be on something. The chocolate ganache may be good. Bacon crumbles will have to be seperate, though.
    Re: making friends....sorry.

He doesn't much like coconut or straight-up coconut oil, but I suggested he make a HWC shake with chocolate as a treat in the evenings. Assuming he can drink the whole thing, that's 1000 calories right there...

Part of the problem is we're so busy getting the kids ready in the morning, he never really has breakfast. So it's like he's IFing, and he really does NOT need to do that. Too bad he didn't like the egg muffins -- they'd be a handy take-with breakfast. Hmmm.
    Various shakes might be good. I was doing that for a bit, and could continue. The morning routine is really creazy. I think I need to do more in the evenings (as if those aren't busy enough!) so that I can maybe eat with my kid instead of letting her eat on her own while I run around. I did not like the muffins. I'll have to look into some other grabby snacks.

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    What about adding bacon fat/beef tallow/etc to everything he eats, even other meat? I often cook ground pork/beef/lamb in bacon fat. I smeared some on my pork back ribs last night, too, and damn... that worked pretty a'ight!
    Hmmm. Might taste good too. I could try that.

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Is he still just eating the equivalent of one of my three meals for an entire day? I was going to advise blended shakes with whey powder and bananas and berries and the like - that's working very well for me - but I think the main thing is convince him that he does actually need to push some damn food in his mouth sometimes. If I just ate one of my meals a day, it wouldn't matter how much extra sauce/whatever I poured onto it. It just wouldn't be enough.

Unless, of course, he wants to be 120lb - in which case that's his choice, so fair enough. But if he wants to muscle up a bit (which I would recommend if he doesn't want to have an orderly helping him on and off the toilet when he's seventy) then clearly meat and veg need to be much more frequent companions than they currently are. I suspect, despite not really knowing him, that he's aware of this already - it is somewhat intuitive - and that there is something of a psychological issue going on.
    Hi! I'm doing a little better than that most of the time. I think the big problem is mornings, which is when I might not eat when hungry. I also tend to eat a lot after 7:00 pm, when things calm down for us. I really need to work on something for the mornings.

I do not think there is any aversion to food on my part, and I'm not trying to lose weight or keep it down for any reason. If there is anything psychological, it would stem from this: 1) As a kid I did not want to take time to eat because I wanted to play and play and play and play....I often hated being interrupted. When in college, and into writing a paper, etc, I tended to actually forget lunch and realize I was hungry hours later.

But after that I got to liking food more and enjoying it (much of it was sweet or carbs). Since starting primal, I have been enjoyiing food much more in general, and have had more of an appetite. I think the weight loss comes not from eating less, but from eating less sugar. Now I need to take in more than I am used to.

He said he'd drop in and reply when he can dredge up time. Great suggestions, everybody.

PF, my impression is that there's no psychological issue here. I've had several anorexic friends and acquaintances and they have a very different attitude. He enjoys his food a lot, especially now that he's cooking more. He seems to genuinely enjoy the preparation process for food, too.

I think in part this is just the way he's designed; he was really tiny as a kid too and has always been on the thin side. He did develop leg muscle when he was running cross-country so we know that's possible with extreme training, at least.

My take is, he needs to make sure he really allows himself time to eat on a proper schedule (including breakfast) and make sure whatever he is eating is maxed out in the calorie department.

Pretty soon now he'll go back to working from home most of the time which should make it easier to grab some breakfast after the kids go to school, get a good primal lunch at home, etc. Beats trying to scrounge something up on the road or the office, or needing time to bring prepped food with you.
    Yeah, I have always been small. Even when more toned from pull-ups or running, I did not bulk up much; I just ended up with much tighter muscles.
    I think it's mostly about reading my body's signals and listening right away, or scheduling meals, at least breakfast.

I need to get more creative, too. I primarily eat steak, chicken, huge salas, and yogurt. I need to integrate more fat and eat more in general.

FITNESS GOAL:
    Between September 15 and 17 (depending on kids schedules, etc.), I will go into that drain tunnel, which requires climbing to get into and out of. This means I need to be really good at pull-ups by then. I'd say, I need to be able to do twenty pull ups unassisted. That's what I am going for. I know that, once I train, I can get strong pretty fast, and I used to be able to lift myself (not much else) very easily. Since I've lost so much weight, that should be easy.

To reach this goal, I'll need to get strong and will probably be required to eat more.

Comment

• Just how many surgeries can any one pelvis be reasonably expected to require in a three-year period? aagslaslkafljkaljkflkj

Let's summarize...
      1. benign cyst removed
      2. c-section
      3. appendectomy
      4. c-section
      5. fixing c-section incision
      6. whatever this is... another cyst maybe... initial appt. to talk to the surgeon on Sept. 9.

And that doesn't even count the repeated non-surgical procedures like the cauterizations of my c-section incision, yadda.

blaaaaaaagggghhhh.

But on the health upside, we were discussing this this weekend: We've had germ-type illnesses far, far less often since going primal! That counts for a lot. I've also been much better off digestively than ever before.
      Last edited by Jenny; 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: three years, not two. But still. WTF
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Going to PAX Prime this weekend: http://prime.paxsite.com/

It'll be fun. Lots of walking, though our food options will be sketchy. I'm going to hit a grocery store ASAP but I don't know if we'll have a refrigerator. Oh well, I can get some fruit, at least.

On September 5 my indoor pool opens again. In my mind that's my big opportunity to re-re-restart the exercise I know I need for real recovery and to resume my weight loss.

I also need to get strict with food again -- I've been far too lax knowing it wasn't "time" yet for the pool, if that makes any sense. (I mean I know it doesn't; that's not a real excuse, but hopefully my explanation is intelligible.)

Of course "strict" is not really deprivation. I love my soup and that's been my primal staple. Optimus still makes me great salads too. But I can't allow myself to be tempted by the gorgeous real-cranberries-on-top megamuffins at the new cafe at work. :/

I just need to stick with the actual Primal plan and DO it. It would be all too easy to say "Well I'm having surgery again, so maybe I'll wait till after that..." No. I need to just do this right. Yeah, I'll need to take some time to physically recover whenever that happens, but the food is critical and I shouldn't slack off on that front.

P.S.: Yesterday just as I was getting up from my desk to go buy one of the aforementioned Muffins of Satan, we had an earthquake. By the time the evacuation was over, the cafe was closed. I take this as a sign from God that primal eating is the best.
        Last edited by Jenny; 08-24-2011, 12:55 PM.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Gah! So jealous you're going to PAX! Can you try out Guild Wars 2 for me and report back? Take lots of pictures!!
          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
            Gah! So jealous you're going to PAX!
            Oh, I don't really care about gaming, I'm just going to tour Seattle!

.. no seriously, I love gaming. I will keep an eye out for Guild Wars II and collect feedback from anybody else who plays it too.

I haven't done as much video gaming since cranking out two babies... been meaning to fix that. I haven't even played Mass Effect and my friend keeps telling me it's great. All I've done lately is iPhone games and a couple of PC games: Eufloria (totally beautiful and strategic all at once, BTW) and Plants vs. Zombies.

Played a little City of Heroes and Rock Band a few weeks back, too. ... someday I will play a more recent game. XD

Comment

• Mass Effect is brilliant. The first game lags behind in technical terms these days, and the combat mechanics of number two are massively better (see what I did there?), but the first one is still thoroughly immersive and awesome and kinda has to be played before you play number two anyway. I am slowly dying of anticipation for the third and final instalment next year.

P.S. If you want a good chuckle or three, check out the 'Commander Shepherd is such a jerk' and 'Commander Shepherd is still a jerk' videos on YouTube - they deal with a lot of the cruel/amusing dialogue options from the first and second game respectively.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                Just how many surgeries can any one pelvis be reasonably expected to require in a three-year period? aagslaslkafljkaljkflkj

Let's summarize...
                1. benign cyst removed
                2. c-section
                3. appendectomy
                4. c-section
                5. fixing c-section incision
                6. whatever this is... another cyst maybe... initial appt. to talk to the surgeon on Sept. 9.

And that doesn't even count the repeated non-surgical procedures like the cauterizations of my c-section incision, yadda.

blaaaaaaagggghhhh.

But on the health upside, we were discussing this this weekend: We've had germ-type illnesses far, far less often since going primal! That counts for a lot. I've also been much better off digestively than ever before.
                Oh girl that is ROUGH! Hang in there little pelvis. At least you have the impressive primal healing powers on your side.
                Last edited by me2; 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM.
                Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                  P.S.: Yesterday just as I was getting up from my desk to go buy one of the aforementioned Muffins of Satan, we had an earthquake. By the time the evacuation was over, the cafe was closed. I take this as a sign from God that primal eating is the best.
                  lmao! do not desecrate your primalness with muffin idolatry!!
                  sorry to hear about your cyst-like thing. poor pelvis.
                  Last edited by Saoirse; 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM. Reason: um...err..spelling
                  my primal journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Muffin idolatry. XD Hee hee.

I started a new thread in the research section here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37288.html

Sorry it's been a while, folks. Lots of busy life meanwhile. PAX was fun, posted pics here: Flickr: Search Jen Gagne / Shikami's photostream
                    Alas Patrick, I have no amazing news for you for Guild Wars 2!

My precious, precious pool finally reopened. I'm going tonight to renew my membership. now I have no excuse! I have been eating better, too. Back to my salad-and-several-stews-a-day habit.

We've also been making baby food for Zany. Still tough getting her to really chew, so I'm trying to edge her into it using progressively chunkier baby food and with purees as a sort of a "hey this is tasty!" sauce.

In health news, I won't get to talk to the surgeon till Friday, so we'll see how that goes. My inclination is to avoid surgery if at all possible. As long as we can still have sex, we're good (assuming there's no other medically-necessary reason to go surgical...)

Speaking of health... here's the main topic of this post... I got a call from National Marrow Donor Program - Be The Match Marrow Registry ! Turned out I was a very good match for someone who needs a transplant...

I had to think about it all weekend, discuss with family, etc.

On the one hand, here's somebody basically saying "I'm dying. Please save me!" and I really wanted to do it; that's why I was on the registry to start with, after all. Fight cancer, right?

On the other hand, I've had a medically disastrous year, I was worried about risks and side effects to myself (though I researched and found that those seemed minimal)...

Particularly, I was concerned about two things considering it just took me half a year to recover from what should have been an ordinary surgical incision:
                    1) would I recover well from the incisions for the donation process? Hmm. Then again maybe they would just want stem cells from my blood. No way to know at this stage
                    2) most importantly, what if my immune system basically SUCKS? In other words, the transplant procedure is extremely risky to the _recipient_ -- what if I basically have somewhat defective immune cells? They might die!

So I discussed this with the HLA on the phone, taking a sort of "I don't want to just say no to you, but let me review my recent health problems and my concerns for your patient..." approach. They disqualified me as a result, which is sort of a relief since I didn't want to exactly be the one to say No.

They also told me something that I hadn't heard before, which is that the drugs you need to take pre-transplant are meant to rev up your immune system to produce extra material. BUT if you already have some autoimmune disorder -- or a possibly undiagnosed low-lying one in my case -- there's a risk of making it worse. That's why they have so many rules against donors with autoimmune issues.

On the upside, they say they have a potential backup donor in mind, so hopefully the patient will still be fine (better actually) without my marrow.

They also pointed out I can continue donating blood and platelets to help out. Now that I'm done incessantly spawning out children and milk, I can get back into that again.

So, I have to admit I'm relieved overall.

Comment

• You went to PAX?!?!? I went to PAX East this year, it was awesome. I won a new & better video card! My friend won an iPad. My boyfriend got a WoW trading card which resulted in a Rooster mount in World of Warcraft. I hope to have enough money to get a scarf next year, they were popular and sold out quickly.

Good luck with the surgery chat!
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Yep, PAX Prime. We were going to go to PAX East again but the hotel reservations were screwed up by the reservations people -- they decided we'd be better off in Birmingham than Boston. 9_9

We're going to switch back for 2012 and stick with PAX East from then on... so if you keep going, let me know.

Sounds like quite a haul from PAX, bravo!

Comment

• I find it highly amusing that you also have a town called Birmingham in the States. If there's one place I wouldn't want my town to be named after, it's Birmingham.
                          Blog
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                            If there's one place I wouldn't want my town to be named after, it's Birmingham.
                            It's in Alabama which has a pretty desperately run-down and hickish rep, so maybe it's appropriate.

Comment

• you are awesome for even being in the registry! i understand your hesitation, it made sense.

swimming is so much fun! *canonball!*

primal fist: what's the deal with birmingham?
                              my primal journal:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• It's just a very grey, dreary industrial city. Not somewhere high up on my list of places I want to live.

Also - no offence to any brummies on here - the general view of the Birmingham accent is that it's pretty hideous.
                                Blog
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X