Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
    I told Optimus I was going to come to the forum and rat him out -- my eternally skinny husband is under 120 pounds again.
    Grats Optimus. You are now the weight of my left leg

Comment

• wow, he weighs less than i do. good luck on that front, i hear gaining for some is as hard as losing is for others.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Start spoon feeding him coconut oil. Maybe mixing some cocoa powder in it with coconut or bacon pieces for more flavor?
        Georgette

Comment

• if i needed to gain, i'd make a big batch of chocolate ganache and freeze it into bite-sized portions. yumm!
          my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
            if i needed to gain, i'd make a big batch of chocolate ganache and freeze it into bite-sized portions. yumm!
            This is an excellent way to make friends I am sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
              if i needed to gain, i'd make a big batch of chocolate ganache and freeze it into bite-sized portions. yumm!
              I still think some bacon crumbles would be awesome mixed in with that.
              Georgette

Comment

• He doesn't much like coconut or straight-up coconut oil, but I suggested he make a HWC shake with chocolate as a treat in the evenings. Assuming he can drink the whole thing, that's 1000 calories right there...

Part of the problem is we're so busy getting the kids ready in the morning, he never really has breakfast. So it's like he's IFing, and he really does NOT need to do that. Too bad he didn't like the egg muffins -- they'd be a handy take-with breakfast. Hmmm.

So what's chocolate ganache? Google makes it look like some kinda chocolate syrup?
                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• It can be. ganache can be made and poured over a cake or something to harden into a crust of sorts, or it can be whipped as it cools to form a thick filling/frosting. kind of like mousse but more fatty/less wet. i make it with very little sugar, so it's mostly fat. however, i haven't made it in quite some time so i won't be able to give you accurate directions. basically make the ganache as directed (adjust sugar content to your liking), then let it cool slightly and then begin whipping until it's light, fluffy, and cooled. you can scoop it onto a cookie sheet and toss in the freezer to freeze individual portions, then store them in a plastic bag in the freezer.
                  my primal journal:

Comment

• What about adding bacon fat/beef tallow/etc to everything he eats, even other meat? I often cook ground pork/beef/lamb in bacon fat. I smeared some on my pork back ribs last night, too, and damn... that worked pretty a'ight!
                    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      What about adding bacon fat/beef tallow/etc to everything he eats, even other meat? I often cook ground pork/beef/lamb in bacon fat. I smeared some on my pork back ribs last night, too, and damn... that worked pretty a'ight!
                      That would be an awesome idea Patrick!! I've kind of been doing this with my youngest daughter and she's starting to gain a bit.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Is he still just eating the equivalent of one of my three meals for an entire day? I was going to advise blended shakes with whey powder and bananas and berries and the like - that's working very well for me - but I think the main thing is convince him that he does actually need to push some damn food in his mouth sometimes. If I just ate one of my meals a day, it wouldn't matter how much extra sauce/whatever I poured onto it. It just wouldn't be enough.

Unless, of course, he wants to be 120lb - in which case that's his choice, so fair enough. But if he wants to muscle up a bit (which I would recommend if he doesn't want to have an orderly helping him on and off the toilet when he's seventy) then clearly meat and veg need to be much more frequent companions than they currently are. I suspect, despite not really knowing him, that he's aware of this already - it is somewhat intuitive - and that there is something of a psychological issue going on.
                        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

• He said he'd drop in and reply when he can dredge up time. Great suggestions, everybody.

PF, my impression is that there's no psychological issue here. I've had several anorexic friends and acquaintances and they have a very different attitude. He enjoys his food a lot, especially now that he's cooking more. He seems to genuinely enjoy the preparation process for food, too.

I think in part this is just the way he's designed; he was really tiny as a kid too and has always been on the thin side. He did develop leg muscle when he was running cross-country so we know that's possible with extreme training, at least.

My take is, he needs to make sure he really allows himself time to eat on a proper schedule (including breakfast) and make sure whatever he is eating is maxed out in the calorie department.

Pretty soon now he'll go back to working from home most of the time which should make it easier to grab some breakfast after the kids go to school, get a good primal lunch at home, etc. Beats trying to scrounge something up on the road or the office, or needing time to bring prepped food with you.
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• I didn't necessarily mean anorexia; there's a massive sliding scale of attitudes to food, a lot of which you might not even know are there unless you look. But working from home sounds like a pretty snazzy plan.
                            Blog
                            sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I figured if you meant "anorexia" you would've mentioned it specifically. The only reason I mention it is because that's the only issue I have any (indirect) experience with.

Comment

• Comprehension has been achieved.
                                Blog
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X