Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and on a related note, a nurse suggested I start taking this stuff:
    Rebuild Muscle, Support Tissue Building - Juven

They claim it rebuilds muscle tissue and supports wound healing. The latter has been demonstrated in clinical trials and it's food-based so... hey, why not. Yeah, it's expensive, but whatever...

I ordered it but it won't get here till some time next week. Hopefully I can find some at the local Rite-Aid to take meanwhile.
    Last edited by Jenny; 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      I honestly have no idea. Since I only just started going to this wound care center, I would wager they're willing to go through at least a few rounds of what ought to work before switching to a more dramatic approach. (even though as we've already seen, cautery didn't lend itself to a permanent solution before...)

They did say if this didn't work or it re-reopened, they'd eventually consider redoing the surgery. So maybe that would end up being the way to go.

Either way I'm terribly curious to hear the stunning conclusion of this week's thrilling episode of Wound Care Hospital! Tune in, same time, same channel!
      As the Wound Care Hospital turns, so does the days of our lives. Yeah, had to go there lol. Good luck!
      Georgette

Comment

• It totally needs dramatically schmaltzy theme music.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

It totally needs dramatically schmaltzy theme music.
          And an ER style frantic scene fading away on the screen.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

It totally needs dramatically schmaltzy theme music.
            Definitely. If the doctor and nurses are good looking, then you know you have the beginnings to a great soap on hand lol.
            Georgette

Comment

• "Nurse, get me some silver alginate dressings, stat! There just isn't enough time!"

I tellya, if they cauterize me again I'm gonna have those misty white "dream" corners on my vision for sure....

Comment

• As predicted... SIZZLE. I have a chemical burn now. WHEE!

They're basically going to continue doing this till it gets better. If it doesn't get better or if it reopens again, they confirmed that they'd do surgery again to remove the area and re-close it. So that answers our question, naiad.

Comment

As predicted... SIZZLE. I have a chemical burn now. WHEE!

They're basically going to continue doing this till it gets better. If it doesn't get better or if it reopens again, they confirmed that they'd do surgery again to remove the area and re-close it. So that answers our question, naiad.
                  Jeez. Hope it heals up soon.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

As predicted... SIZZLE. I have a chemical burn now. WHEE!

Damn, that is the suck. Hopefully this works out for you.
                    Georgette

Comment

• New sig quote from my brother: "We're so primal, we shit velociraptors."

Went for a walk today with Optimus even though it's hella-hot out.

I've been exhausted all day. I didn't sleep well at all due to getting corroded yesterday. Tonight should be easier. Just continuing to take Tylenol.

I was telling Optimus that my business is falling very much by the wayside... But I want to bring my earnings from it back up. Maybe with more exercise my energy level would make it easier to be motivated and focused enough to do that after the kids go to bed.

Been pretty well focused on primal eating, although I did have some coconut and white chocolate Lindt yesterday as a consolation prize after the hospital.

I do need to keep drinking this Juven stuff every day though, and it is a vile orange flavor so I'm mixing it with actual orange juice to mask it enough to make it palatable. So that's 40 carb grams right there, 270 calories. And not even yummy like a real cheat would be. Bleh. But I think it will help, so... Gotta do it.

That means if I drink Juven, three of my primal soups a day, and a salad, I'm at around 100 carbs a day, 80 fat, 80 protein. Not great but I guess it's the only way.

So tired. Want to nap. But I'm working, dammit.

Comment

New sig quote from my brother: "We're so primal, we shit velociraptors."

Went for a walk today with Optimus even though it's hella-hot out.

I've been exhausted all day. I didn't sleep well at all due to getting corroded yesterday. Tonight should be easier. Just continuing to take Tylenol.

I was telling Optimus that my business is falling very much by the wayside... But I want to bring my earnings from it back up. Maybe with more exercise my energy level would make it easier to be motivated and focused enough to do that after the kids go to bed.

Been pretty well focused on primal eating, although I did have some coconut and white chocolate Lindt yesterday as a consolation prize after the hospital.

I do need to keep drinking this Juven stuff every day though, and it is a vile orange flavor so I'm mixing it with actual orange juice to mask it enough to make it palatable. So that's 40 carb grams right there, 270 calories. And not even yummy like a real cheat would be. Bleh. But I think it will help, so... Gotta do it.

That means if I drink Juven, three of my primal soups a day, and a salad, I'm at around 100 carbs a day, 80 fat, 80 protein. Not great but I guess it's the only way.

So tired. Want to nap. But I'm working, dammit.
                        Love what your brother said! That is classic!

My mom had to take Juven before and hated it.

I'm ready for a nap and I'm at work too. Darn money.
                        Georgette

Comment

New sig quote from my brother: "We're so primal, we shit velociraptors."
                          LOL That is hilarious

Comment

• what's juven made out of?
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• I changed the dressing for the first time since the cautery. I think this time, it's working on that last hole! (really there are two holes left but I'm not worried about the other one since it's clearly healing.) Even though it's still nowhere near healed, just seeing that it seems to be responding makes me so happy.

More info on Juven: Juven®
                              To sum up, it's a couple of amino acids and HMB (related to another amino acid.) Basically these three all play key roles in building connective tissue for wound healing and muscle building. Most people mention Juven in the context of trying to preserve the lean muscle mass of people laid up in the hospital, but whether it actually works for that purpose is debatable. What it demonstrably does work for (at least according to clincial trials) is wound healing.

It's hella-spensive ($40/week) but hey, I'm getting better...? Who knows whether I can blame the cautery, Juven, fancy dressings, or all of the above.

Of course in addition to the amino acids they also added aspartame and sugar. (why both??) As a result it's 160 calories a day of carbs -- add on the OJ I mix it with just so I can cover up their fake orange flavor, and that's 268 calories total / 40 carbs. So... bleeeh.

I plan to take it for a month (even if this appears to seal up before then) just to make sure the tissue is as solid as possible.

Comment

• In other news, I made myself a hackjob standing desk:

Basically a couple of in/out boxes as platforms for the keyboard and mouse. I put the monitors up on packs of copier paper.

If I want to sit down instead, I just take the in/out boxes away and it's fine.

The idea is... if I don't have to sit (thus folding right at that incision) maybe the incision will get better faster. Of course that's in addition to all the other benefits of standing desks.

Comment

Working...
                                X