No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm w/ Saoirse on making your own formula. Also, making your own baby food by blending/mashing yummy low-seasoning primal things.

But really, I'm all for feeding your babe whatever strikes the right balance of "nutrition you can stand" and "easy enough to actually do regularly, without going nuts".
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Wow, that home brew formula looks good in theory but I have a few "but"s...
      1. No raw milk here, and the only organic is the sketchy ultrapasteurized kind.
      2. I don't feel like I could reliably pull off that complex recipe every morning even after getting it all sourced and getting used to it.
      3. I doubt that the day care would reheat at just the right temp to allow flow but avoid curdling, mix it the right amount to keep the oil in it, etc.

I'm considering their souped-up commercial version though, that would solve at least a few of those.

Either way it seems like the egg yolks are key along with liver and cod liver oil, and she's old enough to eat those straight up, so that's a good idea as a supplement / first food regardless.

Definitely plan to make my own baby food for her -- I had some success with that for Buglet and even more ideas this time around for Zany. Plus we eat so much better now, it'll be much easier to just turn our dinner into baby-able food!
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• In other news, i think maybe my belly is trying to inspire me to start a "Hole of the Day" blog. Or maybe this thread qualifies, jeez. New ones keep showing up or combining forces. This dotted line is rapidly just becoming a line again. Still not as bad as last time though.

Sorry for the continuing gross topic. It freaks me out but somehow writing about it helps me deal with it being there, like it normalizes it a bit and makes it easier to cope.

... Also, I keep walking down the block to my parents' house every other day so I can show my booboo to my Mommy. Oh yeah, I'm a badass.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• yeah it does look really intensive. haha, i wish i could walk down the block to see my mommy, i'd gladly show her my booboos.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
            In other news, i think maybe my belly is trying to inspire me to start a "Hole of the Day" blog. Or maybe this thread qualifies, jeez. New ones keep showing up or combining forces. This dotted line is rapidly just becoming a line again. Still not as bad as last time though.

Sorry for the continuing gross topic. It freaks me out but somehow writing about it helps me deal with it being there, like it normalizes it a bit and makes it easier to cope.

... Also, I keep walking down the block to my parents' house every other day so I can show my booboo to my Mommy. Oh yeah, I'm a badass.
            That's ok. Us humans are kind of gross so it goes with the territory. At least you still have your mom you can go show your booboo to.
            Georgette

Comment

• Heheh, thanks gals. I know I am lucky my mom is still with us... and that my mom is so close by... and that we get along so well now that I don't live in her house! Having my parents right there is a huge help when we're overwhelmed by our kids, just need a break, etc.

My brother is physically disabled (he has dwarfism) and co-owns our house. He has an apartment downstairs with his own kitchen and bath and entrance. So correspondingly, having our parents close by helps him if he needs a hand and we aren't around.

My brother is my best friend and so I'm always happy to help, though. This is part of why one of my parents' nicknames for me is "Slave Child #1".

At one point when we were dating, Optimus came over and helped them move a chair, and they declared him "Slave Child #2." I was actually miffed -- I spent my whole life earning my slave child moniker and he moves a CHAIR and gets it?! But really, it wasn't just the chair -- he did all sorts of stuff to help me including helping me move out of my old apartment mid-divorce. And wow, wasn't THAT a job...

I'm lucky Optimus is so helpful but particularly grateful that he "gets it" why my brother is living with us. Really, it's to our collective advantage; co-owning the house makes the mortgage half what it would be, we all still have our privacy, yet we have convenient in-home socialization opportunities.

Comment

• i think it sounds like an awesome arrangement. i've thought about moving into an intentional community for some of the same reasons, but if you're happy to live around family that's even better!
                my primal journal:

Comment

• Regarding our living arrangement, we're all happy! Jen and her brother are my two best friends!

Regarding other recent posts, i sure wish we could enter one damn spring/summer with no medical problems or deaths!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Primal View Post
                    Regarding our living arrangement, we're all happy! Jen and her brother are my two best friends!

Regarding other recent posts, i sure wish we could enter one damn spring/summer with no medical problems or deaths!!!
                    Aww, that's a heartfelt plea if ever I heard one. Sending hugs and warm thoughts, if that helps. I know the exhaustion of that cycle when things just keep happening. Kia kaha (Maori for stay strong).

Jenny, I think you're right about maybe not being able to get the day care to follow your instructions carefully. Souped up commercial sounds ideal. I wish I'd known to feed my kids this way when they were little. I did often make my own babyfood, but that was usually because the commercial stuff grossed me out. Mashed pumpkin and silverbeet, gravy, bananas were all good. I'll try to forget that I fed my children weetbix!
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• what's silverbeet?
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                        what's silverbeet?
                        Ummm, kind of like spinach but darker and more intense in flavour. I think it might be the same as swiss chard.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
                          Jenny, I think you're right about maybe not being able to get the day care to follow your instructions carefully. Souped up commercial sounds ideal.
                          Don't get me wrong, our day care is really fabulous in many ways -- they're affectionate with the kids, they always seem relaxed and playful rather than overwhelmed. I pop in at random times of day and they're always interacting with some super-cool activity or the kids are being well-managed in free play. I'm totally impressed.

As I was saying the other day to Grumpy... in comparison, the other local chain with a good rep... I visited a series of them. Sour milk smells, sinks full of junk so you just know nobody's washing their hands, overflowing trash to the floor where kids are crawlng, kids trapped in high chairs crying with no toy or food while some lady reads a bodice-ripper... Ugh.

Anyway. The point is, they're great -- but they do have certain procedures for reheating milk or formula, their crockpots are a particular temperature... I don't want to make them change how they do it if I can get my kid basically the same health elements another way.

Same with snacks actually -- I know sometimes they give Buglet non-primal snacks but I just declare that part of her 20% so that she can eat the same stuff the other kids sitting with her do rather than being the odd man out. In Kurt Harris's terms, I guess that means we're promoting the candy cigarettes, but.

So, as for Zany's nutrition --
                          1) We'll introduce egg yolk as one of her first foods.
                          2) I am uneasy with the risk of super-high vitamin A levels in cod liver oil but I can certainly up her vitamin D and Omega 3. (we have both of those already for Buglet, conveniently.) She also surely gets some DHA from me (unknown quantity) and the formula (which is already supplemented with DHA).

So, based on the known quantity in the formula, I'll have to math out how much she should get of the extra Omega 3. (to be continued)
                          Last edited by Jenny; 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM. Reason: to be continued

Comment

• WAPF says one teaspoon from birth to six months of cod liver oil... and in two teaspoons is 1183 mg/10 mL of DHA, 803 mg/10 mL of EPA... so Zany should be getting about 600 mg DHA and 400 of EPA.

So the formula says... oh. Great. It doesn't actually list how much DHA/ARA it includes, just says that it does. Thanks for nothing, Similac!

Google tells me nothing on this front. What it does find is references to people supporting a ban of DHA from baby formula -- WTF?? Apparently because the extracted oils are classified as synthetic -- and therefore can't be included in organic formula. Some other organizations are declaring they shouldn't be included because they're possibly harmful.

And there's some murmuring from breastfeeding organizations that it makes people assume formula is OK for kids. I have to discount that argument... some people just can't make enough milk, sorry. Therefore I can't fathom the 'it will undercut breastfeeding!' idea that formula should NOT be improved to more closely approximate milk... By that logic formula should be as crappy as possible in order to drive more people into breastfeeding (yeah, that'll work... or not.)

I'm digressing. Let's look at Buglet's DHA supplement. ... oh. Turns out this IS cod liver oil after all. Duh, I'm pretty braindead lately... And actually the vitamin A doesn't look crazily high on the label.

The D in this oil is actually low, so I'll use this plus the D drops. (which she was already getting.)

Comment

• yeah that really bugs me too. i can be somewhat of a lactivist sometimes, but i try really hard not to come off as pushy or condescending, because that's not my intent. i completely understand reducing advertising for formula on TV, but we should be making improvements to the formulas so that it's closer to breast milk (without all the marketing hype that it's "like" breastmilk). then again, i really despise the fact that pharmaceuticals are advertised on TV too. docs should have super-dry but well-organized pamphlets about the different formulas and their nutrient contents, etc. to pass out to parents who seek the information, as well as references to lactation consultants and peer-to-peer breastfeeding groups. but that doesn't really support the company's bottom lines, just the parents' pursuit of information. anyway, sorry for the rant.

i love the D drops. they are so much easier to use than the D supplements that my first kid's ped recommended. the first D supplement i tried contained artificial food coloring and artificial sweeteners. my kiddo wouldn't even gag it down. i can just put a few drops of the carlson's stuff on some food that my little guy is already eating, and he doesn't even know that it's there.
                              Last edited by Saoirse; 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM. Reason: double negatives
                              my primal journal:

Comment

• It's definitely a tricky balance... promoting and normalizing breastfeeding as the way to go, but also avoiding guilting otherwise-innocent and well-intentioned people out in an unreasonable way. As you say, giving people straightforward information and making sure they understand how ideal breast milk is... that's good.

I must say that as a mom who isn't in a life situation (or a hormonal situation) to give my baby 100% breast milk, even the "breast is best!" I constantly hear makes me sort of squirm. Yeah, no kidding it's best, I know -- but what's the point of feeling bad every time I'm obliged to mix up a bottle of formula, yanno?

You are quite obviously NOT like this, but I must relate a few stories:

There's the branch of lactivism that acts like formula is the same as child abuse. I have actually been told that I "shouldn't have even tried to HAVE a baby if I couldn't feed it properly." I mean... wow. By that logic I myself shouldn't be alive either, since my mom gave me formula.

Similarly even though we took our labor classes etc., labor with Buglet didn't work... yet I've been told "Well you only ended up with a c-section because you didn't care enough to avoid it." Gee, thanks. Bitch.

Ahem, enough of that...

What I always work on accepting is that psychologically, I need to be a little less hung up on the idea that formula is massively inferior. Instead of guilting about nutrition sources and delivery methods, focus instead on being emotionally available to my kids. So far, so good!

Comment

Working...
                                X