Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    I swear the kid is 30% cute, and 30% dolomite. (name that reference!)
    ... like the blaxploitation flick? o_o

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    Meh. I know I'm a good'un. Hell, if my ex'es are/were all good friends with me, I figure that's a pretty solid indication.
    Agreed. After fracturing my friend group by dumping my ex-husband, it was rather reassuring to me that Optimus still got along with his ex-girlfriends (he was even a groomsman in his first girlfriend's wedding!) I figured that way, if it didn't work out we could just admit it and move on rather than me losing yet more friends...

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    As Moss said in the IT Crowd, "Well done, Jen. You bagged yourself a normal." (and her name was Jen, too!)
    Yeah, there were some uh... oddities, in my former relationship. XD Don't get me wrong, he was a great guy and I wish him the best, but there were Certain Insurmountable Troubles.

Optimus kicks ass, takes names, and makes me primal soup.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      ... like the blaxploitation flick? o_o
      I'll let a few others have their shot at guessing first.

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      Optimus kicks ass, takes names, and makes me primal soup.
      If you don't make that your signature right now, he has every right to file for divorce. That is way too awesome to pass up as a sig!
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Sig'd! He really is some kind of spousal badass. He takes care of SO much stuff in our house, I'm totally spoiled.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Sweet. Divorce averted!

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Futurama, was the reference. Dunno if it was in reference to Bender or Fry's dog, but it was about one of the two.
            I really need to put one of Geek's one-liners in my sig, but I'd hafta take something out first.
            Sweet and innocent little angel, my ass. Maybe in the Old Testament sense: sweet and innocent Wrath of God.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
              Futurama, was the reference. Dunno if it was in reference to Bender or Fry's dog, but it was about one of the two.
              Booya! Futurama it was, and it was Bender in reference to saving Fry's dog. "Dolomite? I'm 40% dolomite!"

Comment

• Hey everybody, it's been a few days so I thought I'd post some primal ponderings.

Weight is still plateau'd at or above the -65 mark. I guess it could be worse. I am sure it would still be going down if I were stricter about what I eat, or if I could get off my duff and start exercising again.

I have a litany of excuses for why I'm not exercising. Even though I know they're just that (excuses) I might as well mention them since it describes what I've been up to lately:
                • The past month's illnesses basically banned me from the pool whenever I was sick.
                • And it's still pretty rainy and cold so we can't go whole hog on our "take kids to the park constantly in the evening" plans.
                • Now that I'm well, my toddler's new later bedtime also makes me wonder how I'm going to leave for the pool on time in the evenings. Gotta talk to Optimus about that more.
                • For the next week I'm going to be working rather frantically on a key project in the evenings for my side business. We have an e-fishing festival coming up and I want to make some cowfish to match the Old West theme.

Also, knowing my indoor pool is abruptly scheduled to close on May 5 for renovations all summer... somehow that makes me not want to go there? It's weird. I've been trying to analyze it. It's like I want to move right on to swimming at our outdoor neighborhood pool instead -- BUT that won't be open till after Memorial Day.

(Optimus -- let's keep an eye out for news on getting this year's pool passes for the neighborhood. I don't want to lose any time on that front.)

Anyway. As noted I know those are all excuses. I should at least get back to doing some bodyweight exercise at home instead of saying "Oh well, can't run off to the pool tonight after all!" over and over and leaving it at that. Plus I need to work on my pull-up challenge for 2011, which I haven't done.

I'm feeling sort of paranoid about feeding my kids lately. They were both sick for the month too, and as a result at their last pediatric appointment their weights went down. Both have a really noticeable nosedive in the graph of their weights and percentiles. Our toddler had it worst and her weight dropped so much, it's like she basically lost 4 whole months of progress. And she only just turned two, so four months is a lot...

We're scheduled to go back in 2 months to re-weigh and of course now I have this sort of freakout of, oh god, this number and whether it goes up enough is basically like judgement of my suitability as a mother, etc. But when I step back and say "They're over the illness and they seem basically healthy and they're proceeding in their development?" then the answer is of course, yes.

So I really need to take a more primal attitude about all this rather than just freaking out over the scale. But at the same time I really respect our pediatrician and so if he wants them to make some certain amount of progress, I want that to happen.

We're also trying to get my daughter to eat more vegetables, and the pediatrician suggested an approach, sort of holding the food she really wants hostage to make her try veggies first... but ... I can't help but think it will also cause her to eat less overall than when she gets to pick out all her own food freely, which gets me worrying about her ability to gain her weight back again, you know?

Plus he wants us to go from whole milk to a lower-fat milk. I flat out asked him "Even though we want her gaining more weight back, you want her on a lower-fat milk?" and he said yes. I dunno.

On the upside he said our diet sounded really good and said to avoid crackers, cookies, breads, etc. foods like the plague, which is nicely in line with primal thinking.

At least she eats a lot of meat... steak, chicken, shrimp even... that's better than a lot of toddlers do. And she does eat berries primarily for fruit, which is high vitamin and high fiber.

As for our baby losing weight... She was still on all breast milk, though it's from bottles when I'm at work. I'm pumping and taking fenugreek etc. to try and keep my supply up. As it is she still wakes up some nights to drink a big bottle so I think she does need more calories, but I just don't know how I can cram any more calories into this kid than I do already.

I keep wondering if taking the fenugreek is watering my milk down (more foremilk) but not really increasing the net calories I'm outputting as milk for her. I don't know. I've read a lot about supply issues but I'm frustrated, all these message boards and LLLI people etc. say is "Keep breastfeeding! Just keep it up! The baby's measurements don't matter!" etc. and somehow that doesn't help.

Particularly since I still absolutely detest breastfeeding, AND the baby's been really mauling me lately with her bites and pulling away and pulling with her hands etc... the cumulative injury of it all just leaves me that much less happy about it (and the pain reduces my let-down during nursing and pumping, and reduces my ability and willingness to pump a lot, etc... vicious circle...)

If trends continue like this and my supply keeps going down, she'll end up partially on formula for sure. (I'll keep pumping, at least the pump doesn't bite me. Grr.) I am feeling eager to get her going on quality homebrew solid foods -- at least then she'll get whatever whole-food micronutrients that the formula may be missing. Somehow I feel like getting calories from solid food is healthier than getting them from formula. I'll still give her as much breastmilk as possible to drink too, of course.

Milk-wise, I sort of feel like a poor hunter who only ever manages to bring the skinny antelope home, not a big fat one. I was so proud of myself for having enough spare milk from Month One to donate to another kid, but that's not gonna happen again at this rate.

Anyway. Lotta frustration here.

Overall I know our life basically rocks and I try to focus on the big picture, but I feel like I'm too easily overwhelmed right now.
                Last edited by Jenny; 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Remember these are your kids and if they are underweight even the slightest bit, and you're trying to bring it up in 2 months, I would keep them on whole milk. Even though the pediatrician is happy with you for keeping them off the grains, he's probably still looking at fat as the enemy in regards to the whole milk situation. I will let you know that my 9 yr old daughter who is always in the lowet percentile for height/weight finally broke the 60 pound mark last week. She's 4'4" I believe and is rather petite. You should have seen her when she saw the number on the scale! She was ecstatic!

I never breastfed my kids, couldn't and I wish I could have. I'm not sure if things have changed much in rearing babies but I remember my pediatrician said that at a year old, you gotta get the kids off milk. Remember, it's almost been 10 yrs since I've had my last kid. I at least commend you for being able to pump. I never could even do that.
                  Georgette

Comment

• Yeah, I seriously waffle about the whole milk thing -- Optimus, what do you think about keeping Buglet on whole milk for now? She only has a couple cups a day, anyway...

We're both 5 foot 5 and as a result the predicted height formulas claim our kids will be shorter than us. Also, Optimus was always so skinny, it may very well be that our kids end up in lower percentiles as they get older, just naturally. (although in this case the drop is clearly related to their illnesses.)

Pumps nowadays are reportedly a lot more efficient and comfortable than they were even 10 years ago, so that's good, at least. And I'm lucky to be in a work situation that's conducive to pumping. I try to pump 3x/day at work but sometimes I can only manage 2x... but even that is better than nothing.

Comment

• I'm 5'5" and Stumpy is 6'. The oldest and youngest are going to be shorter than I am. The middle has the potential to be taller than I am and almost as tall as her dad. The middle and youngest have also been trended to be low percentile on weight as well.
                      Georgette

Comment

• well what is the one thing we learned here? Fat is good.. I think your P. is still bordering the CW guidelines Keep the whole milk I think .. and try not to stress too much because that's just going into your breastmilk (whatever *stress* changes your hormones to) My oldest son is in the 95+ percentile and my youngest is between 10th- 20th Healthy .. but super lean. I wouldn't worry *too-too* much over the weight loss due to sickness.. They are better now .. so they will gain it back ..
                        "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                        Currant: 136 lbs
                        Goal: 125 lbs
                        11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

• Man, I'm irritated with myself for taking things personally that have nothing to do with me.

Every time I see a thread or comment admiring some woman specifically because she managed to pull off natural childbirth, and isn't that amazing and impressive etc., I end up feeling all defensive. Sometimes women DO need pain management. Sometimes they DO need a c-section when labor doesn't work the way you hoped. And so what? It's like all the effort and difficult challenges of pregnancy itself are meaningless compared to what happens or doesn't happen on that one day. And no, you don't get any credit for the challenge of recovering from a c-section while other moms are bouncing around feeling better within days...

But it's not like anybody here is telling me "You had a c-section because you didn't care enough to try hard" which is the kinda crap I used to get on the babycenter boards (this is why I'm not there anymore.) I think maybe all the bashing over at babycenter has oversensitized me.

I've been in a crappy mood lately anyway, which was probably obvious from my post above.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dealing with PMS -- even though I'm not getting periods because I'm breastfeeding, it wouldn't surprise me if my hormones were still cycling to some degree or another.
                          Last edited by Jenny; 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Dude, you carried a small, alien, parasitic creature inside you for 9 months. I don't care if you got it out naturally, with a C-section, or with some sort of energy beam that is freaking amazing.

(oh, and I mean small, alien, parasitic creature in the nicest possible way )

Comment

• I think the body still goes through the *symptoms* of the TOM even when your not actually *having* a period

Don't worry about what other mothers think .. you gave birth to you little ones which makes you just as caring as them. Only you know whats right for your body.. ( I had a c-section with my first and drugs (morphine, epidural) even though I wanted to do it naturally couldn't have happened.. his head got *stuck* in an awkward position, my second 80 % more natural then my first ( just morphine, and was about to get an epidural but once they broke my water he was outta there!) )
                              "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                              Currant: 136 lbs
                              Goal: 125 lbs
                              11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                (oh, and I mean small, alien, parasitic creature in the nicest possible way )
                                Thanks Canio. And yeah, nothing wrong with that -- I affectionately call them my disgorged sexually-transmitted parasites all the time.

MCW, similar story here... we thought Buglet was all lined up and ready to roll, but she just would not drop even though I was fully dilated and water broken. Ended up with the c-section after hours of that, and the doc saw then that her head was tilted way off to one side which is why she didn't budge. Bet the poor thing had a neck-ache! I was clearly pushing her rather well even though it didn't work out, considering she had a major side-of-head conehead for a few days there. Heh.

Then we got pregnant with Zany surprisingly soon and that was too soon to safely try VBAC in my opinion, soooo... c-section again.

Mood-wise, I think I just feel overwhelmed by all the stuff to do at work and home and I'm letting that get to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X