No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made those egg muffins before. They're great! Easy to thaw and reheat as well. I think the little one would like those. The hubbs and I like them with hot sauce.
    Georgette

Comment

• Hi all!

Been out of touch. Very busy between work, childcare, etc.

i think our toddler does pretty well, and I want to keep introducing her to a variety of good foods at all times. She will probably get into and out of liking various things, but if, in general, she is used to trying new things, then she will be more likely to find SOMETHING she likes that is also healthy. My goal is to get her to the point that she turns her nose up to the crap she'll find at her friends' homes. Of course, she could end up going nuts over some awful thing as well.

Comment

• PRIMAL LEAP POST 23

Week 4-B (which was last week)
        Exercise Action Item 1: Recovery Period:
        I’ve been kind of getting those all throughout the process since i can’t always exercise the way I want to yet.

Exercise Action Item 1 (from Week 3-B): Fitness Assessments:

These are fitness assessments meant to be done maybe once a month. For the Aerobic test, you pick an activity and distance, and measure the time it takes to complete it while maintaining 75% of your max heart rate. For the Primal Blueprint Fitness test, you do a variety of movements and measure the time it took to do so. I did not have time this week or the week before to do the PBF test properly.
        Aerobic: 2/25/11
        Exercise bike, at intensity level 7, for 1.0 miles (I assume it’s miles. It does not say whether it’s miles of kilograms). Heart rate:: 138. RESULTING TIME: 3.5 minutes.
        PBF: Will do at another time.

Exercise Action Item 3: Continue Strength Workouts:
        Abbreviated: about twenty minutes: 2/22/2011
        Pull-ups (L3): 12
        Push-ups (L3-LEVELED UP!): 44
        Squats (L1): 50
        Planks, Front (L2): 90 sec
        Planks, Side (L2): 45 sec each side
        Jack Knife Press (L2): 20
        Bench dips: 40
        Abbreviated: about twenty minutes: 2/25/2011
        Pull-ups (L3): 13
        Push-ups (L2): 50
        Squats (L1): 50
        Planks, Front (L2): 90 sec
        Planks, Side (L2): 45 sec each side
        Jack Knife Press (L2): 20
        Bench dips: 42

Exercise Action Item 2: Continue Aerobic Workouts:
        Moderate duration 1: 2/25: Exercise bike, intensity 7, 30 minutes
        Moderate duration 2: 2/27: Walking pushing stroller with toddler, 30 minutes (was about 45 minute walk, but not all of it was in the aerobic heart rate range...down hill drops heart rate fast!)

Exercise Action Item 4: Continue Sprint Workouts: Did not complete. Too busy with sick kid, and weather was always either cold, or muddy. I like running on dry grass. I may try to do it on the exercise bike this week.

Lifestyle: Primal Leap Conclusion: I will restructure the journal exercises a bit to better fit my own experience:
        Fitness Goals:
        I think I have definitely improved my fitness, although I have not been able to stick with any routine as much as I wanted to.
        My ongoing goals will include:
        -Three to five hours weekly of cardio, whether that be in 3 to 5 hour long sessions or a half hour daily or whatever...probably a lot of walks or hiking, some skating. .
        -Two sessions weekly minimum. I also want to be able to climb with only my arms if needed, and turn myself upside down from a pull-up bar, because it’s fun.
        -At least one session of sprints every two weeks.
        -Monthly PBF and aerobic assessments to help me measure progress.
        Career:
        I think I have made a good effort to balance health needs (eating, exercise breaks) with work needs. It is difficult to measure since having a baby has also completely thrown off my work routine. I want to become more productive in terms of using the time i have. Hopefully as I become more healthy my ability to focus and my motivation will continue to improve.
        Personal time/obligations/responsibilities:
        Same as career. I am keeping up here pretty well, but want more time and energy.
        Personal relationships:
        I think I’m doing well here, but I want to have more energy and use time better so that I can enjoy and foster growth of my family and personal relationships. I’d also like to, eventually, make an effort to strengthen ties with extended family.
        Other goals/circumstances:
        I want to be able to have more fun, enjoy more hobbies including cooking, reading, skating again, playing with my kids a lot).

Thoughts on the Primal Leap Program:
        This was a good way to get structured guidance, like taking a class. I think that my diet has definitely improved, and will, in the near future, wright more about what I am willing to eat and not willing to eat. The exercise regime is easy and will become easier to maintain. As much as i complain about time, it does not take that much time, and is fun.

The lifestyle laws make sense, and I plan on continuing to incorporate hem into our lives.

Photo:
        I have not posted photos yet, but Jen says that my shoulders and back have a bit more muscle, and I feel the difference in my arms. Also, although it is NOT my goal, i seem to have lost a few pounds. I need to eat MORE. Cutting sugar down has made a difference!

Primal Future:
        I’m definitely sticking to this at least as much as i have been lately. I will have bad treats sometimes, but not like I used to. I plan to continue as stated above, and am glad that Jenny introduced me to this.

Until next time!

Comment

• I've been having milk supply issues -- to avoid getting the other thread off track, I'm posting a few replies here:

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I spent a couple of months in Vanuatu once on a conservation project with sea turtles. What product do they make that increases milk production? One of their main crops is kava. You're not getting your baby stoned are you
          How cool! It's an anti-nausea drug called Domperidone (not to be confused with Dom Perrignon, har har). A "side effect" is increased lactation.

It's over the counter in many other parts of the world, yet unavailable here. I (and many doctors) consider it very safe since plenty of people take it for years and they even give it directly to babies at doses much more concentrated than what will come through in my milk. You can read more here:
          Domperidone, Getting Started

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
          good luck with your supply. i have no experience pumping, but maybe you could browse kellymom.com for ideas on how to boost supply? that is, if you haven't already. hope the meds work.
          Oh believe me, I've tried all the usual stuff listed at Kellymom and elsewhere. I had the same trouble last time. I have two factors working against me: 1) I'm working and pumping rather than full-time nursing, and 2) PCOS hormonal woes; androgens reduce milk supply.

Last time I used this stuff, it doubled my milk! Looks like it's working this time too... what a relief. I really do want her to have milk at least for this transition into day care, hoping she won't get sick TOO much.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• In other primal news...

My body is still waffling between losing weight and plateauing -- probably because I keep downing yogurt and going over my planned calorie and carb intake for the day.

Calculating calories is tricky because I am not sure how much I'm burning on milk production. Hopefully it's more now (see post above!) but the point is I can't get a really accurate target. Maybe I'm targeting too low and that's why I get desperate?

Exercise-wise, I have been swimming for a couple weeks now and it makes me SO happy... particularly since I can bring my waterproofed music with me.

Lord knows my legs never have any trouble developing muscle -- I have rather fabulous leg muscles by default at all times, I must say -- so I have ditched the kickboard so I can work on the upper half and core, more of a whole-body exercise. So far, so good.

I should do more LHT workouts and work on my pull-ups for the 2011 Challenge, but I are teh lazy and prefer swimming. Hopefully my energy levels will keep coming up and then I will have limitless enthusiasm! Just the other day I was like, "It's not a swim day but I wanna go swim!" and that was a real novelty.
            Last edited by Jenny; 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM.
            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• oh i'm relieved to hear that it's working. like i said, i can't really speak with any sense of authority, because i have very little experience with pumping (and i know that complicates things).

I love swimming. when i was little, i used to swim to exhaustion. i still haven't started the pull-ups. maybe i'll go out and buy a pull-up bar today.
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus
                Jen says that my shoulders and back have a bit more muscle, and I feel the difference in my arms. Also, although it is NOT my goal, i seem to have lost a few pounds. I need to eat MORE. Cutting sugar down has made a difference!
                Nice going. Just make sure you're getting a lot of protein (1g per lb of lean bodyweight a day is the usual recommendation, as you probably know already) and try partitioning your carbs (and not much fat) to after your workouts, if possible, to take maximum advantage of insulin's anabolic powaaaaaaaaaa.
                The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                Blog
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                  oh i'm relieved to hear that it's working. like i said, i can't really speak with any sense of authority, because i have very little experience with pumping (and i know that complicates things).

I love swimming. when i was little, i used to swim to exhaustion. i still haven't started the pull-ups. maybe i'll go out and buy a pull-up bar today.
                  Yep, I had to use it last time too... it worked great and I believe that's why I was able to get her to the eight month mark. Even so I still had to give her formula too... she was just so voracious!

This new baby is slightly less voracious and I had a more well-informed start, so she hasn't needed any formula yet. BUT my supply was dropping like a rock and we had to dip into my freezer stash of milk (which is great nutritionally, but useless immunologically due to the freezing).

Already after just 2 days of the medicine, I was able to send all her bottles as fresh milk today, which was my goal. So YAY.

I have this fantasy that I'll not only have enough milk for my baby, but have so much to spare that I'd feel safe donating some to other moms who experience the same "I don't have enough milk!" anxiety that I did. I don't know that I'll ever be confident enough in my supply for that, but who knows.

The important thing is that I have enough for my girl now...

Pull-ups: Even with the woody bands I am damn pathetic so far. Can't pull up all the way even with the assistance. But I can do negatives as iniQuity suggested within the range of motion I am able to do, so... hopefully I can build it up from there!

Comment

• I'm bringing in 10-second negatives after my chins as well. They're a damned difficult exercise to improve.
                    Blog
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                      Nice going. Just make sure you're getting a lot of protein (1g per lb of lean bodyweight a day is the usual recommendation, as you probably know already) and try partitioning your carbs (and not much fat) to after your workouts, if possible, to take maximum advantage of insulin's anabolic powaaaaaaaaaa.
                      Thanks for the advice! That'd be... let's see.. about 110 grams of protein, which is what I'm averaging, so that's great. I do notice my carby cravings are after my workouts, and I have been swimming more, so there's that.

Oh and speaking of YOU, this song came up when I was swimming:

... yeah, I have a weird playlist. This looks like Book from Firefly, doesn't it? What a badass.

Comment

• Hahahaha. And I thought I had a weird playlist!
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

• hiya!

Just popping in to say hi and have a nice day - and thanks for the support! Blue skies and sunshine, (inside and out) today. Not even carrying a mental umbrella! "look at me - no net"

I am babbling. Time to go work that body.

Byeeee!

I want ace leg muscles - I develop great arms and shoulders easily. We need to do some trading!

Comment

• Aww, thanks Denise -- and wow, glad to hear it! What ups and downs. Hope things level (preferably on the positive side) a bit for ya.

Heheh, I'm lucky about my legs. I don't train on machines but when I'm completely out of shape, I can naturally leg press at least 1,000 lbs and sometimes more like 1,300. With training I can easily lift the whole stack. RAWR LEG STRONG

Arms, though? Between my hyperextending elbows and general laziness, I've never built up real muscle there. Hopefully that's starting to change!

Speaking of building muscle...

How the heck can I lose 8 pounds since yesterday? I'm guessing it's because I did two back-to-back swims and, using my arms, they were tougher workouts than good chunks of my body are used to yet. So maybe my muscles were retaining water as they recovered? Either way, pretty amazing.

Comment

• Optimus keeps losing fat. Our scale says he's at 10% BF now. Yow. But he must be gaining muscle too because his weight is the same! Meanwhile I'm still rockin' the 44% here, heheh.

Is it wrong for me to hope our girls take after him in build? It'd certainly make life easier for them in some ways...

We ditched the kids at my parents' place and danced the night away on Saturday. Good exercise. And tonight's a swim night, definitely looking forward to that.

Comment

• Can you ask Optimus to clone whichever part of him just burns fat like that and send it to me, please? Thanks.
                                Blog
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X