No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stupid hole in my stomach is finally sealed up enough to hit the pool. So I swam a bit over a half hour, really enjoyed it. I listened to music too, which always gets me funny looks and questions from strangers. "Is that an iPod? In the water? OMG"

Today's playlist shows off my terrible 80s/90s music taste. I've included YouTube links so you can hear each one if you want. (I was paying more attention to the sound than the actual videos shown...)

And my fave from today's workout... Silence (Radio Version) by Delerium & Sarah McLachlan. There's no official video AFAIK so here's a Final Fantasy one somebody made.

While I was there, as usual only maybe three people in the lap lanes getting what I would really consider a workout. Everybody else just swims a lap and then stands at the end of the lane for a few minutes, I just don't get what they're trying to do. If anything.

There was one guy running laps up and down and across the bleachers all around the other pool, sort of fractally deciding his path, which I thought was pretty neat. Fun to watch. Too bad I sorta hate running... maybe I'll like it better when I weigh less!
    Last edited by Jenny; 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• DORITOS and CHIPS

Huh...Another Primal surprise: I don’t want Doritos anymore...

I had a few Doritos, and now I don’t feel satisfied or good. Now, I did enjoy them as I had them, but...I am not sure I want them any longer....Not what I expected, since I have been enjoying chips.

I guess I’ll ditch Doritos and have chips only:
      1) if served with that wonderful dip made by my friend for Superbowl, or
      2) Chevy’s or other Mexican-type restaurants, where I love the chips and salsa, but would only have them on very rare occasions.

Comment

• You keep losing foods you like. You weren't ready to commit 100% when we started this, but it seems inevitable the way things are going... You poor thing, I feel sorry for you. (OR NOT!)

I had some hungry days at work last week, so I have been putting more thought into how I approach my eating while still losing weight yet also maintaining my milk supply. Tricky. So, two things...

1) I think I need to front-load my day more -- more calories at lunch rather than saving them all for later in the day "if I'm still hungry". I have this sense that I will run out of my budgeted calories if I eat too much in the first part of the day, but, that's what stops me from getting hungry.

2) Gotta make more of my veggie-and-meat stew that has been such a mainstay for me lately. I love it, it's easy to make (which is easy for me to say since Optimus chops all my veggies!) and very filling. Seems like if I have two containers of that at lunch instead of just one, that's a good start to my day foodwise and then I can go for a while without feeling hungry.

I guess endless stew, salad, and a little fruit at the end of the day is a kind of monotonous diet. But I can picture myself doing OK with that long-term. We'll see how it goes in practice when I try that for multiple days in a row.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• WOW. I mentioned my toddler won't eat vegetables, and a friend replied, "Popcorn!"
          "Popcorn?" I wondered.
          "Sure, corn is a vegetable."

*sigh*

Comment

• lol just like the bags of chips that claim "full serving of vegetables inside!" how such marketing isn't illegal is beyond me.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Exactly -- let's give her unlimited potato chips and popcorn and feel all proud of ourselves.

Comment

• how about "fruit in syrup" to help fill the daily servings of fruit? i had to deal with that pre-kids when i worked in a daycare. ugh.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Man, they couldn't even spring for "fruit in juice"?

The other day Optimus dropped her off and saw that another kid was chowing down on a big frosted cookie. There's breakfast for ya!

Comment

• nope.
                    eww, probably cheaper than a poptart, though! i used to down those every morning before school. i figured they were just as unhealthy, cheaper, and yummier than the big ass muffins that were sold (alternative breakfast item).
                    my primal journal:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Hi Jenny - just had to cruise over and read your journal, since you're being so supportive on mine! (Must mean my energy levels are coming back up). Man, you two make me look so lazy! I couldn't have even contemplated doing this while I had babies. I now have grand-babies, which I have to tell you is MUCH easier .

Optimus, I'm a mh nurse in New Zealand. Well, I was, now I teach it. Excellent work on the fitness! I'll retreat now, to my newbie journal, and just feel grateful that the headache has passed, lol.
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Awww, thanks Jac. We're working hard but still not as compliant as we want to be on the fitness fronts!

Yay for getting more energy -- we hope for that, too. Optimus was remarking the other day he was feeling more alert. We're not sure if it's how we're eating, going to bed early, getting more exercise, the baby sleeping more, or what -- presumably all of the above, eh?

But we probably won't be getting much sleep this week. Our toddler is super-sick. Every orifice on her head is infected, basically: ear infection, pinkeye in both eyes and they're all gluey, sore throat, sinus infection. It's like her skull is a giant petri dish. Poor kid.

The baby doesn't have it (yet?!) so, here's hoping...

Comment

• Hope the toddler gets better soon. Never fun to have sick little ones. It doesn't get any better when they are pre-teens either but at least you get more breathing room in that regard.

Not too sure how to help you out with getting the toddler to eat the veggies. My mom was able to get my girls to eat there veggies. My youngest who is now 9 used to sing and dance for broccoli! She still says broccoli is one of her favorite foods.
                          Georgette

Comment

• She had several dinners of my soup last week, so she got veggies that way. And she ate some tomato from Optimus's salad, I figure that's good too (since we aren't avoiding tomato).

AND she has been willing to eat apple more and more often -- I figure apple is a good "gateway crunch" to various veggies!

Really, I need to keep reminding myself that her diet has a lot of variety compared to most SAD toddlers. She's doing fine.

Comment

• Compared to a lot of toddlers, that is pretty good. As she gets older her tastes will change so always try to re-introduce foods that turned her nose. I remember we got the youngest to eat broccoli by saying they were trees she could eat. For some reason it worked.
                              Georgette

Comment

• Oh, we'll keep offering -- either actively from our plates, or quietly adding something new to hers, whichever works.

Currently she will eat these foods...
                                • Meat: chicken, steak, ham, bacon, my hamburger soup.
                                • Fruit: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries (sometimes), apples, peaches, banana (but hasn't been interested lately.)
                                • Veggies: carrot/celery/onion in soup, tomato, cucumber (just once, must keep trying that...)
                                • Dairy: full-fat yogurt, whole milk, cheese.
                                • Other stuff: Scrambled eggs. Also almond meal as "oatmeal" every morning with vitamins, fish oil, probiotic.
                                • Non-primal (at school or grandparents'): pasta, rice, crackers, cheerios. Also a little rice cereal in her almond meal for texture.

So I guess it isn't the greatest, but compared to some toddlers, it certainly could be worse!

I'm hoping to get her back into sweet potato and carrots (either cooked or raw). We'll continue offering broccoli and other veggies too.

Hey Optimus, I want to make these egg muffins as a ready-in-advance snack for me and her:
                                Kalyn's Kitchen: Recipe Favorites: Egg Muffins Revisited, Again
                                You won't like it with cheese included, but I can try it both ways. They're freezeable and such. She might like these because they're holdable and biteable, which may go over better than cold scrambled eggs at lunch.
                                Last edited by Jenny; 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X