No announcement yet.

Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, like raisins? But with other berry types instead. Cranberries, blueberries, cherries... You just eat 'em as-is. Delicious (and sweet and potentially easier to overeat than fresh.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• mmm i love dried blueberries and dried cherries! lucky you for getting so much steak!
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Hi all!
        Please avoid stupid mistakes:
        Please to not text and drive.
        Also, please to not drink and drive.

Your Final Text Message:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQbbS0AQ80

Comment

• Can't imagine anybody here would do that, Optimus!

In other primal news, our toddler just declared his VFFs to be "Daddy's funny shoes" and I got her to call them "monkey shoes ook ook ook" too. Mueheheh.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• PRIMAL LEAP POST 17

Week 2-B:
            Exercise Action Item 2: Continue Aerobic Workouts:
            Moderate duration aerobic workout 2: 40 minute walk
            COMMENTS: So, maybe it’s because I was a long distance runner years ago, but its basically takes a power walking pace to even bring my heart rate into the minimum rate for my aerobic workout (102), and to keep it between 102 and 110. I’d probably have to jog to get it above 115 consistently. Now, that’s fine. I can jog at a pretty relaxed pace without breathing hard. However, my abs were pretty tired at the end, meaning that my core is way out of shape compared to what it used to be.

Diet Action Item 3: Primal Food Log:
            I monitored my food intake from Monday February 7 through Thursday, February 10.
            I will not list everything. My diet consisted of:
            Fage yogurt with fruit topping
            Sirloins
            Bane’s chicken
            Salads, homemade
            Jen’s meat and veggie soup
            Pistachio nuts
            Water
            Sushi (some rice)
            A roll
            Ham
            Some dark chocolate covered blueberries
            Blackberries and blueberries

Feb 7: Calories: 1,515 Carbs: 80 grams Fat: 80 grams Protein: 117 grams
            Feb 8: Calories: 1,766 Carbs: 116 grams Fat: 105 grams Protein: 91 grams
            Feb 9: Calories: 1,845 Carbs: 140 grams Fat: 87 grams Protein: 130 grams
            Feb 10: Calories: 1,441 Carbs: 136 grams Fat: 68 grams Protein: 82 grams

I was able to keep carbs under 150.
            Last edited by Optimus Primal; 02-11-2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• PRIMAL LEAP POST 18

Week 2-B:
              Exercise Action Item 3: Continue Strength Workouts:

Full-Length Strength Workout Log: (from Marc’s DVD)
              Duration: 26 minutes
              Knee Pushups (Level 2): 46/50
              Chair-Assisted, 2-leg Pullups (Level 1):15/15
              Wall Squats (Level 1) 50/50
              Elevated Jack Knife Press (Level 1): 25/25
              Hand/Knee Planks: 90/90 sec; 45/45 sec; 45/45 sec
              Spidermans: 9 reps, 3 sets
              Bench dips: 30
              Bunny hops: 1 lap around the inside of our house
              Extra: Total Gym rowing Level 2, (second incline level) 20

Comment

• Dude. I salute you for having the balls to count all your calories. I'm often curious about it but really cannot be bothered in the slightest
                The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                Blog
                sigpic

Comment

• I've been posting in other journals but not here, so here's a summary.

I was at a weight plateau for a while there. I was too anxious to continue exercising when my stomach popped back open, and I needed to be more strict as a result if I were going to continue losing weight, but that didn't occur to me right away I think.

My weight now is back down at 183 now though, 57 down overall so far. Yay! So I'd say I've come off plateau now -- just a slight "tightening" of my food budget and I seem to be good again. Tracking my food and using sparkpeople to plan meals definitely helps me. It actually reduces my food anxiety knowing I have nice meals all planned out and scheduled in.

Guess I'll need to recalculate my calories and carbs needed as I keep losing weight too. As it is I just dialed calories down by 100 and carbs by 10 arbitrarily. The calcs feel like a bit of a crapshoot anyway to me since my breastfeeding takes out up to 500 calories a day, so really my target is something of a guess.

I wonder if it will be a challenge later to dial calories down when I stop breastfeeding. After all, between breastfeeding and pregnancy and general overeating in between, that'll be something like four years of eating more calories than I'll need later... That's a long habit! In practice though I think it'll be gradual since I imagine breastfeeding will dial back slowly. And meanwhile I hope to have hit my goal weight before weaning, so maybe it will all work out organically.

As for making more progress now, i'm sure I'll do okay once I can swim again (when my belly seals up). That's my favorite thing.

And before that, I'm looking forward to trying the "primal movements" from the e-book. I feel confident they'll be very good for me! I could probably start now as long as I'm careful of my bandage.

Speaking of bandage, the cauterized hole in my belly is looking so much better! I think it's finally getting smaller too. I guess it had to first recover from the trauma of cauterization itself... Now it can focus on closing. When I go to the doc tomorrow I'll be sure to ask how long he thinks it'll take to get better.

We're taking DD#2 to the doc tomorrow too... Her two month checkup. I'm eager to hear how much she weighs and her height. She certainly seems to be thriving. I am SO glad that this time we haven't needed any formula, my milk supply is great. (Primal eating, better management? Both I think!)

Thanks everyone for all your ongoing replies and for replying to Optimus too! It's super supportive and I appreciate it.

Comment

• Congrats to you and your super husband. You guys are the model primal family. When is the photo shoot?
                    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

• HAHA optimus primal... That's too awesome...!

OMG, you look incredible! You should be the poster child for Primal weight loss! Total awesonimity!
                      "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                      -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                        Can't imagine anybody here would do that, Optimus!

In other primal news, our toddler just declared his VFFs to be "Daddy's funny shoes" and I got her to call them "monkey shoes ook ook ook" too. Mueheheh.
                        haha!
                        glad to hear the hole is healing again.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by me2 View Post
                          Congrats to you and your super husband. You guys are the model primal family.
                          I dunno, we seem pretty low-energy and non-exercisey to really be the MODEL primal family. But we're working on it. The other day our toddler excitedly declared she wanted steak for dinner. Optimus told her we were having chicken instead and she said "Yaaay chicken!" and ran over to sit at her table right then.

Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                          OMG, you look incredible! You should be the poster child for Primal weight loss! Total awesonimity!
                          You mean my start up pics, the ones from 240 down to 200? I'm eagerly looking forward to taking fresh pics when I hit my goal #1 around 160. A nice solid 80 pound weight loss ought to look notable -- plus then it's all due to primal living, not just pregnancy appetite (though eating primally helped too!) Right now I think I still look a lot like the 200 pic.

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                          glad to hear the hole is healing again.
                          Me too, ugh. I cannot emphasize enough how horrifying and frustrating that has been to me. And lately, it's been like a focal point of "I can't exercise, I can't finish recovering from pregnancy or surgery, I am SICK of feeling so disabled AAAGH" feelings, yanno? Poor little hole, all blown outta proportion. ... but seriously, I'm tired of this and wanna start feeling vibrant.
                          Last edited by Jenny; 02-13-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Well, gee, I will certainly continue losing weight if THIS trend continues: yet another night of nausea. This started Thursday night, hours of vomiting. Friday was okay with only mild nausea. Saturday, a brief sense of nausea but not bad. And now, more vomiting.

Surely food poisoning would be done by now, and a virus would be more consistent. I don't understand what the frak is going on here. Maybe I pushed it too soon with food? But I always heard if you're hungry and can keep it down, eat... And I didn't barf after early Friday morning, till now, so WTF.

Time for a good long IF to get my system time to settle, methinks. Been taking my probiotics too.

... No, I am Not Pregnant. A) tubes tied now, B) even if I were it would be too early in the process for nausea.
                            Last edited by Jenny; 02-14-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Primal Fist:
                              Thanks for the encouragement! Counting calories and carbs is tedious although illuminating. I won't be doing it ALL the time.

Me2:
                              Thank!, although I agree with Jenny that we have a ways to go.

NoSaladWithoutMeat:
                              Nice name! I was really proud of the name, too, until I discovered that there IS an Optimus Primal. He's the ape version of Prime in Transformers: Beast wars. In my opinion, the dumbest version of Prime. Oh well.

Jenny:
                              You've been doing great! Hang in there. We'll get through this patch soon!

Comment

• PRIMAL LEAP POST 19

FRUSTRATED!!!

Week 2-B:
                                Exercise Action Item 1: Introduce Law 5-Sprint Once in a While: Unable to do.
                                Exercise Action Item 2: Continue Aerobic Workouts: Unable to do.

Moderate duration aerobic workout 3:
                                Extended duration aerobic workout 1:

Avoiding Stupid Mistakes:

Okay, I’m driving slowly through a parking lot, and cross over slowly, with a full stop, to the next isle. It’s good I am watching because this grown man, followed by his small child, walks pretty much right in front of my car without looking or turning his head in either direction. The kid ALSO does not look. I guess he has not learned that basic skill anymore than his father.

It’s good that they were not holding hands. That way, when the father gets hit by a car or truck maybe the child will survive.

I wonder whether more people or deer are hit by cars each year....

Primal in the movie When A Stranger Calls:

I doubt many have seen the ORIGINAL When A Stranger Calls, but I’m watching a foot chase between a tubby investigator and the killer he wants to catch. I can’t help but think that if he were eating and exercising primally, he would catch this guy no problem. I notice things like that a lot on TV and in movies now.

Frustrated!!
                                Okay, I’m having a hard time. Between lack of time and energy, I have not been able to do extended aerobics or the sprints. They have to be outside, and I’ve had a hard time with that.

Workday:
                                Can’t seem to wake up before 6:45 or 7:00 due to lack of sleep during the night with baby. 7:00-8:00 Take care of older kid, Take her to day care
                                8:15/8:30-4:00/4:30: Work as much as I can.
                                4:30-5:00: get kid from day care
                                5:00-6:45: Dinner, play, sometimes chores while kid watches TV. Baby often sleeps through this.
                                6:45-7:00: Older kid to bed.
                                7:00-anywhere between 8:30 or 9:30: Baby gets up, wide awake, feeding, holding, often cranky during this time. My wife and I share this duty, although sometimes I encourage her to go swimming or get some downtime herself. Also during this time, OR AFTER, we have to at least do dishes, prep lunches for the next day, etc. SOMETIMES during this time we take the baby to visit my brother-in-law and watch TV.
                                After baby’s asleep, chores, maybe some time to ourselves. Then bed.

Weekend day:
                                I’m up with older kid, take her to visit grandpa just by herself (for some US time).
                                Late morning: all of us together, play time and/or chore time.
                                Noon: Older kid nap, usually baby’s up through that.
                                Afternoon is pretty free, but full of kid time.

This week I was always too tired to sprint at the end of the day. I figured I’d do it during my older kid’s nap, but that did not work out. She did not go down on time.

Although we actually got more than eight hours sleep this weekend, for the first time, I STILL could not get up before the older kid (5:309 or 6:00) to work out/sprint. The only way for me to fit walks in right now is to do it during lunch breaks, OR get up early! As it warms up, we can throw kids in strollers and take walks after dinner (perhaps today?).

Frustration/fear:

-It actually IS hard to get a few minutes to get a good workout.
                                -Since my back injury a few years ago, and having a child who made us sick a lot after going to daycare, and spending all summer last year unable to do a lot of what I wanted due to either one of us having no energy (wife pregnant, me just tired all of the time), I have not felt healthy or energetic. I am really tired of it, and have a lot I want to do. I just want to feel really good again!
                                -I feel bad for jenny, too. SHE’s experiencing all of the same things, PLUS the exhausting pregnancy, slow recovery, opened wound, and stomach illness. At least, when I make time, I CAN do all of the exercises without worrying.
                                -Lastly, I think I was feeling frustrated partly because I was afraid that I actually would NOT be able to fit this in without cutting into my job.

Solution/coping

-I think I have to accept that it will take a few (at least) full nights of full sleep before we feel anywhere close to normal after months of exhaustion and sleepless nights.
                                -Try to get up at 6:00 for a workout
                                -Heavy lifting can be done with child there. She may think it’s fun.
                                -Continue working out some during lunch breaks
                                -Walk with wife and strollers after dinner as it gets warmer.

Goal:
                                -Be feeling GOOD no later than April.
                                -Be improving health consistently while playing throughout the entire summer!
                                Last edited by Optimus Primal; 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X