No announcement yet.

Aila's Primal Journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well hello, Meepster, Ellie, and YogaMama and welcome to my new visitors HeavensGreens, PediDoc and Lucas!

Just a quick morning check in to say that I had a major score yesterday. My older daughter (14) was in a teenage snit, and dealing with her really stressed me out, to the point where for the first time since I started Whole30'ing (in late August), I found myself wanting a drink to de-stress. I noticed the thought, followed quickly by the thought that I am not going to let anything derail my progress; then I thought about what I could do instead. I decided to make myself a big mug of Natural Calm (as Emily Deans calls it: "Magnesium: The Original Chill Pill"). This worked, on many levels, and I'm really glad and proud of myself.

Also, I'm really noticing my face in the last week - I think I look about 10 years younger. Seriously! I think it must be a combination of decreased inflammation (especially around my eyes), general weight loss, and the good skin care I've been doing from the suggestions on the Purely Primal Skincare Blog including natural oils for cleansing and moisturizing, and using a humidifier in my bedroom every night. The difference is visible and really remarkable!

Happy Monday, everyone!
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• Good for you for sticking with it!! woohoo - that is huge!
      Ellie
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106642.html

Comment

• Hi Aila

Wanted to say you've got some neighbors down here in Keizer, OR.

Interesting weather so far this winter, huh?
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Thanks, Ellie! And greetings, Neighbor Tomi!

I've got a ton of work so I've been mostly popping in quickly to stay abreast of what's happening with you all, but not commenting...I'll be back soon in full participation!

Briefly, though, I wanted to capture a few items here. I've gotten a lot of value from re-reading this journal, and want to make sure I note important things for posterity.

First, my daughter started complaining that my breath was bad, to the point that she wanted me to face forward rather than look at her when we were driving in the car. Since I attend well to my oral hygiene, I was surprised, so I googled and think that what she's noticing is keto-breath! She agreed it smelled like rotten fruit, which is typical. Looks like there's not much you can do, and it is a good sign that my body is burning fat for fuel. So, I'm just going to try to make sure I'm drinking plenty of water, which can sometimes help, and attend to not breathing directly on anyone, and hope that I adapt over time...

I am really enjoying the effects of not weighing myself - how much more attentive it makes me to the "Non-Scale Victories." A few of late: I moved in a set of clasps on my bra! Also, my "go to" shirt (that at any weight always got compliments, a black and white clingy number, is now LOOSE on me! When I clasp my hands together, the fingers fit better - I can tell the difference!

I have completely abandoned the "no electronics/blue light between sunrise and sunset" goal I had for December. I did it long enough to realize that here in these northern latitudes, that makes a LOT of hours with low light, and I also realized how much I use electronics to keep me company. One day I really felt depressed, and decided it was time to call it. I think I will try this experiment again, just not in the dead of winter.

At a holiday party over the weekend I did really well, really was not tempted at all to stray from plan even though there were lovely offerings. Had a conversation with two folks who'd done Whole30 last year, both did Whole60's actually. It's good to commune with like-minded people. One said that his doc, though, wants to talk with him about his cholesterol and the Paleo diet, so he's prepping for that. I know I've read some stuff on point and will try to find it for him. They also do with their kids what I do with mine - make the main healthy meal, and if the kids want something else (instead or in addition) they can make it themselves.

In food news: made a really yummy meatloaf recently and froze a bunch of individual slices for lunches, also made more bone broth (with grass fed beef bones) to stock up the freezer, and then this slow cooker butter chicken recipe - it was YUM! The spice combo is delicious! The recipe says 6-8 hours in the slow cooker, and I think that 6 would do fine.

Okay, back to work - so much for my brief check in - I'll be ready for my vacation over New Year's!!
          50 yo single mom
          5'3"
          Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

Working...
          X