No announcement yet.

Aila's Primal Journey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We went to a delicious farm-to-table restaurant in Park City, but I was SO DISAPPOINTED when the waiter told me that most of their meats were "dusted" with wheat flour before cooking! No buffalo osso bucco or braised lamb shanks fo rme! What a cheat! I make osso bucco & lamb shanks at home and would never consider using wheat on them even if I didn't care about using wheat, and my sauces turn out great. It makes me wonder how many dishes I assume are wheat-free in restaurants are not. Who would expect a simple meat with no sauce to have wheat blastd over it? And these couldn't be prepared specially for me, since they have to cook all day.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• I know, Mama Grok, isn't it just silly? There is just no need to cook gorgeous and simple foods with crap! I would *never* assume that meats are "dusted" with wheat - who would even think of that idea?? You are doing so well - I love that the test results are giving you that extra surety to ask for what you need!

So, today is NOT Wednesday Weekly Weigh-in, since it is TUESDAY. But, since I am headed out of town and won't be able to weigh for a week, I'm counting today's weigh-in instead. And this morning, I am at 200.6. I am keeping my fingers crossed that by *next* Wednesday I will break into the 100s! Yes, it's only more pounds, but psychologically it makes a big difference.

There is (reportedly) internet access at the training site, so I'm hoping to be able to log in and do my daily journaling from there. We're scheduled for 10 hour days, so I'll likely be brief.

Headed out earlier than I planned today so that I can drive in daylight hours and hopefully hit the sweet spot between the two storms! Happy week, everybody!
      50 yo single mom
      5'3"
      Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• Safe travels Aila.
        My Journal

Comment

• Hi everyone! I am at my training site, surrounded by snow. Here are yesterday's and today's entries:

Yesterday:

B: Tea
          L: Packed lunch for the road: Lamb chop with rosemary, broccolini sauteed in duck fat, raw radishes, blackberries
          D: Provided by the facility - green salad, roasted carrots and onions. They also served a turkey meatloaf that I did not eat. I was fine, my yummy lunch held me.

Move A Lot, Slowly/Lift Heavy Things/Sprint: Drove all day. Hauled luggage back and forth. That be all.
          Sun/Sleep/Play: Slept fine, no sun, took hot tub in the snow.
          Use Your Brain/Avoid Poisons & Trauma & Stupid Mistakes: Moderate brain usage, avoided bad stuff.

Today:

B: blueberries and strawberries, chicken apple sausage, tea
          L: chicken, green salad with avocado and mac nuts (I brought those)
          D: salmon and lobster soup, spinach salad

Move A Lot, Slowly/Lift Heavy Things/Sprint: Took a lovely though short walk on the grounds.
          Sun/Sleep/Play: Slept GREAT last night, 8.5 solid hours, deeply. A bit of sun during my walk. Another hot tub tonight before bed.
          Use Your Brain/Avoid Poisons & Trauma & Stupid Mistakes: Yes, training requires much brain stretching. Good stuff!

So, I'm doing okay food-wise, not 100% sure that the prepared food is perfect, and it's definitely not the quality of food I'd eat at home (I am realizing how much of a food snob/purist I am!!), but they clearly have gone to lengths to accommodate me and I'm grateful for that.
          50 yo single mom
          5'3"
          Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• B: Chicken apple sausage, blueberries and strawberries
            L: Green salad with tuna & avocado
            D: Chicken, broccoli, butternut squash, green salad with mac nuts
            Supplemented with my own tuna, avocado and mac nuts. Luckily they asked me before using soy sauce on the chicken! But after I had eaten about half the butternut squash I heard the chef say there was maple syrup They are trying very hard to accommodate me, and I am grateful, and it is also hard that I am not feeding myself. I still think I'm doing pretty well, but I notice my stomach is rumbly tonight...

Move A Lot, Slowly/Lift Heavy Things/Sprint: Nope.
            Sun/Sleep/Play: Slept great, again. No sun or play. In training all day long.
            Use Your Brain/Avoid Poisons & Trauma & Stupid Mistakes: Yes.

We are snowed in and on generator power at the training site...what an adventure! No word on when the power might be restored. I'm enjoying spending time with my fellow trainees, and hope that the snow subsides before I have to travel home next week!
            50 yo single mom
            5'3"

Aila's Primal Journey

Comment

• At least you're not in the midst of the flooding

Comment

• True dat, unsuperb. Are you in the flooded areas? Sounds pretty hairy back home...

Today was warmer here, but still no power.

B: Chicken apple sausage, blueberries and strawberries
                L: Salmon over green salad
                D: Green salad with tanka bites and mac nuts

Move A Lot, Slowly/Lift Heavy Things/Sprint: Not much, training day
                Sun/Sleep/Play: Woke up early this morning, could not go back to sleep, so only 6 hrs of sleep. No sun or play.
                Use Your Brain/Avoid Poisons & Trauma & Stupid Mistakes: Yep.

Powerful but exhausting day of training. Nighty night, y'all!
                50 yo single mom
                5'3"

Aila's Primal Journey

Comment

• Flooded a bit last night, but no real issues with the house fortunately.

Comment

• I think you're dong great to be eating as well as you are while you're away. My holiday food has consisted of a wide variety of things including nachos, enchiladas, pizza, ice-cream and caramel lattes. I figured that it's impossible to eat clean when in Asia so I may as well just go with it.

Mind you I am recovering and I need all the calories I can get!
                    My Journal

Comment

• B: Chicken apple sausage, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple
                      L: Green salad with tuna and hazelnuts, red cabbage and carrots, EVOO and balsamic vinegar
                      D: Green salad with a bit of salmon, Tanka bites (EVOO&bv)

Move A Lot, Slowly/Lift Heavy Things/Sprint: Nope
                      Sun/Sleep/Play: Woke even earlier this morning, but felt well rested. No sun, no play (but the training is awesome!)
                      Use Your Brain/Avoid Poisons & Trauma & Stupid Mistakes: Yeppers.

Day 4 of my training. I am feeling really good about how I'm doing managing my food while away from home and in this environment where each meal is prepared for us. I also want to share a psychological victory: when I first got here, I could see immediately that I was the fattest person here. Of course, that is not going to deter me from getting in the hot tub, even with my lame-o fat lady bathing suit. But for a while now I have been really feeling like I'm a small person, that 110 lb person - that that is really who I AM. Like, even if other people can't see it, I just know and feel that I am that small and strong person. Does that make any sense to any of you?

Anyway, I've now learned that one of the others, an older woman - who seriously looks like she's been a little tiny bit of a thing her whole life - used to be supersuper fat, another person who is now normal sized had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago, and a third woman who is now lovely and lithe grew up as a fat kid and fat adult until *after* kids. SO, just goes to show you (me) not to make assumptions! SO, at one point all three of these women were the small and flexible, or normal sized and strong, or tall and lithe and graceful women I see before me, even if no one else could see that on the outside of them. Just like me! (No, this is not Fat Camp. This is what you get in any average group of middle aged professionals!)

I'm wishing you plenty of sandbags (and will hope that you don't need them!), unsuperb.

Thanks for your kind words, Em! And for heck's sake, you get an official "Primal Pass" during your holiday/recovery period!!
                      Last edited by Aila; 01-22-2012, 07:56 AM. Reason: clarity
                      50 yo single mom
                      5'3"

Aila's Primal Journey

Comment

• Like, even if other people can't see it, I just know and feel that I am that small and strong person. Does that make any sense to any of you?
                        YES. Always.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aila View Post
                          But for a while now I have been really feeling like I'm a small person, that 110 lb person - that that is really who I AM. Like, even if other people can't see it, I just know and feel that I am that small and strong person. Does that make any sense to any of you?
                          I unfortunately, have the opposite problem. I still feel like the hugely fat person I was 5 years ago. I have some serious work to do with my inner self so that it catches up with my outer self.
                          My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Aila View Post
                            But for a while now I have been really feeling like I'm a small person, that 110 lb person - that that is really who I AM. Like, even if other people can't see it, I just know and feel that I am that small and strong person. Does that make any sense to any of you?
                            Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            YES. Always.
                            Yes. I'm starting to "find" her again. I used to be the strong, fun, crazy person. You know the saying "Out of the box?" My friends said I didn't even know there was a box The heavier I got, the quieter, calmer and more "insecure" I became. I'm starting to find myself again.
                            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse
                            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Hey folks, it is Wednesday Weekly Weigh-in once again, and today.....TAH DAH!!! I am at 199.2!!!

Woo Hoo!!!! Ain't never going back there again!!!

And, I've lost more inches, but still am at 35% improvement according to my Personal Paleo Code Progress Tracker. This is the 4th week in a row where I'm at 35%. I have to be at 60% to add back in foods, so it looks like it will be a while. The first thing I'm adding back is eggs - my chickens have started laying again (so soon!!) and I miss that quick and easy protein source.

SO, I was a bit lax in posting on my last two training days. Basically my food and other primal law stuff was pretty much exactly like the rest of the training days. Overall I think I did really well. The only possible slips - if they even occurred - would have been inadvertent, and due to some ingredient or cooking substance like oil that I wasn't aware of. I'd be pretty proud of myself, but at the same time it was fairly easy. I am so committed.

On the last day of the training we took a hike down to the creek and back up again. It's a salmon run creek, which is cool, and along the way we were able to survey the damage from the big storm that kept us snowbound and without power - huge trees uprooted with saturation, toppled over. Made for an interesting hike. So good to get out in the fresh air and sunshine, and to be able to move! I definitely was feeling the effects of cabin fever.

It's good to be back home. Yesterday I was craving red meat, but otherwise was not very hungry. Here's the eatz:
                              B: Tea
                              L: New York Steak, kale, blackberries
                              D: Rosemary chicken

Less than a week until my Primal Blueprint 21 Day Transformation Seminar!!
                              Last edited by Aila; 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM.
                              50 yo single mom
                              5'3"

Aila's Primal Journey

Comment

• Breaking records while snowbound in a building where you haveto eat from only what's available, which includes CW food? WOOHOO indeed!!

Welcome to the 100's, girlfriend!!

Comment

Working...
                                X