No announcement yet.

Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Em. They used to push donuts on you but now they are trying for a little healthier, things like granola bars. I gave in to the OJ, figured for this one day I was entitled, and had some raisins.

That is so stupid about CJD. They ask about that on the forms here too. It''s such a rare condition but it freaks people out.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my longevity. Dad's still kicking at 85 and his mother made it to 98. I think I'm going to go get a steak for dinner. I am going completely off books with the calorie counting today. Anything goes as long as it's primal. I had a lovely omelette for lunch today on the way home from the doctor. Avocado, bacon, tomato and cheese. With fruit on the side, turned down the muffin.

Comment

• Good luck with the mammogram. They won't take my blood because of the MI. Yet I've never been healthier. I hope to be old enough to be a serious annoyance to my children. Maybe take a trophy bride when I'm 90
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

• Thanks Peril. They are perfectly fine with someone being post cancer but not post MI, how much sense does that make? I'm sure you will live to a ripe old age. There is something about being in close contact with the ocean on a regular basis that just feels right to me, feels healthy. Anytime you want to come up for some yellowtail fishing at La Jolla, let me know.

Comment

• I was craving red meat last night after donating blood but didn't have the energy to cook something myself so I decided to check out this new little steakhouse that has opened near my house. I'm not super picky about insisting on grassfed organic beef when I go out but I was pleasantly surprised to find that they offer it. I had the yummiest filet mignon with garlic mushrooms and asparagus on the side (there was a whole list of sides, pick any two so no need for the "could you please do extra veggies and no potato" conversation). This restaurant only has ten tables. Now I just have to patronize the place often enough that they don't go out of business. Organic steak and within walking distance of my house! Score!

So, the upshot of all my self indulgence yesterday, OJ and raisins at the blood bank, fruit salad with big bacon avocado omelette for lunch and yummy steak dinner was I gained one pound. Not a problem.

Comment

• I was still feeling a bit tapped out today after donating blood yesterday. This morning I stood up from a chair and went all woozy headed for a moment. So I decided to just rest up today. I've been eating my homemade liver pate and spinach salad to try to get some extra iron back in the old bod. And I had a mid afternoon nap, something I almost never do. Feeling a bit better now but I'm going to try to get to bed early tonight.

Comment

• Don't forget to keep your fluids up and you may be a little low on electrolytes too if you're getting orthorstatic hypotension. Maybe get some of those little electrolyte sachets from the pharmacy to put in your water?
              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                Don't forget to keep your fluids up and you may be a little low on electrolytes too if you're getting orthorstatic hypotension. Maybe get some of those little electrolyte sachets from the pharmacy to put in your water?
                I've been trying to push in rooibos tea all day but I hadn't thought of the electrolytes. Thanks, nurse Em.

Comment

• I got so sick last time I gave blood at work I had to go home. Will have to try the electrolytes next time. I had just started paleo/primal, and I didn't want to drink Gatorade, but maybe I should have taken the sugar hit and sucked down a bottle anyway....
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• I found some good electrolyte powder at Henry's a while back that didn't have and sugar in it or fake sweeteners, it was just a sort of tangy citrus taste. I'll have to see if I can find that brand again. That might be helpful on the Kili climb.

Well there is very little in this world that can not be mended by 10 straight hours of sleep. I feel much better this morning. Off to go walk a half marathon today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I found some good electrolyte powder at Henry's a while back that didn't have and sugar in it or fake sweeteners, it was just a sort of tangy citrus taste. I'll have to see if I can find that brand again. That might be helpful on the Kili climb.
                      Please let us know if you do! I'm still looking for a good alternative to Gatorade to keep me from keeling over during the summer.
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                        Please let us know if you do! I'm still looking for a good alternative to Gatorade to keep me from keeling over during the summer.
                        Try Concentrace Trace Minerals in your water.
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Hmmm. Can't remember the brand name but I'll try to find it again next time I go to Henry's. It's usually something I only use for hiking when its really hot here.

Had a great little half marathon walk today.
                          6 eggs for breakfast with wheatgrass juice
                          12 oz lamb for dinner plus a big romaine salad
                          still only at about 1000 cal for the day

I think it was john_e_turner who proposed that number as very doable on my calorie counting thread and got royally jumped all over. It is not only doable, it's not even hard.

Comment

• Also, watermelon juice and coconut water, though both will have calories, are great options instead of gatoraide. Emergen-C is also popular with many people.

Comment

• Also, yes, I do find 1000 cals do-able, but not in the long term. I get light headed. but it's good for a boost in the right direction, you know? You adapt, and then find you adjust to your right amount when the time is right.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                Also, yes, I do find 1000 cals do-able, but not in the long term. I get light headed. but it's good for a boost in the right direction, you know? You adapt, and then find you adjust to your right amount when the time is right.
                                Yes, it would make you light headed if you were a petite yoga teacher with nil BF content (so jealous). For those of us who have some padding to get rid of it works well. Don't worry. I will know when to stop.

I think some of the things that have become a part of my eating patterns with this dieting will continue however such as the two meal plan with a substantial protein breakfast. It really seems to make the whole day smoother. When I get to my goal, I will probably just be a little more lenient with the carbs. I miss fruit particularly bananas.

Comment

Working...
                                X