No announcement yet.

Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I was much better about exercise today. I really got Mark's Lift Heavy Things workout going. I'm at level 3 on the squats but level 1 on everything else.
    My upper body strength is non-existent. That might have something to do with all the slicing and dicing I've been through lately. It just hit me. I haven't surfed for three summers in a row. That really sucks. I used to have muscles in my arms and shoulders. Well, if I keep at Mark's PBF plan I'm going to get them back.
    I was feeling kind of badass because I had done all the required numbers of reps to be done with level 1, 40 wall pushups, 20 chair assisted two leg pullups, 20 elevated jack knife overhead presses plus the hand/knee plank for 45 sec per side and 90 sec face down. And I had done the level 3 50 bench squats (my legs are still in pretty good shape). Then I realized by reading the PBF manual a little more closely that this was only meant to be one of two cycles. I had to do the whole thing over again. No wonder Mark looks so good in swim trunks. This is a good workout. I managed to gut it out and do the second half but only with lots of rest breaks. I'm going to stay at this level for a while until I can really do them all without so much resting. Also I want to work on my form a bit particularly on the plank. Tip learned the hard way particularly for women who's hands and wrists aren't that strong: Do the Plank sets first before everything else, before your arms are all tired. It's hard to concentrate on keeping tight abs and straight back when your arms are shaking.

Then after my workout my Dad asked if I could help with a rain gutter issue on his house and so I ended up lying down looking down two stories over the edge of a roof holding a hammer and a pry bar. So I'm feeling a bit wiped at this point.

wheatgrass shot first thing then
    breakfast was three hb eggs in my homemade mayo egg salad

no lunch

dinner was a yummy bison steak and a big ass salad with caesar dressing and sunflower seeds.

Rooibos tea all day.

now I'm having a glass of South African Pinotage with a square of dark chocolate for dessert. Yummmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by jazmin View Post
      You are f*ing gorgeous, BTW! And that red dress is stunning!
      2nd this.

Just caught up on your journal and I sincerely wish you the best of luck! And pls, post pictures of The Mount. I absolutely love that you're taking the longer way up.

Congrats on kicking cancer's ass.

Looking forward to reading more!

jenella
      Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Paleobird -

Caught your response on another journal and decided to drop in. That's a great goal to have - drop 30# for the hike. The 25-30# that you put in your pack will equal what you lost. At least that's how I look at it.

I'm planning to do the PCT in 2011, and need to be hoisting that backpack on my walks around town and out of town. I'm also hoping for lots of snow in the mountains. Snowshoeing uses the same techniques as hiking; and besides, there might be so much snow in the Sierras that snowshoes will be a plus.

I'm going to order some of that tea. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Hiker
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

Date: 9/14/11
        Current Weight: 151.2
        Inches: 360.25
        Body Fat %: 32.7

Comment

Jrherring,
          Thank you so much. When I'm not feeling well, I just kind of crawl in my cave and hibernate. I feel like I've been in that cave for a couple of years and am just now coming out blinking in the sunshine. The fresh air is nice.

Robin

Comment

Hiker,
            You know how good it feels to put your pack down at the end of the day. That's what I figure I'm doing with dropping the extra lbs. Just putting something down that I don't need to be carrying. The PCT is gorgeous. That sound like a great trip.

Rooibos tea is the elixir of life. I go through a big pot full of it every day. The cool thing about it is, unlike regular tea, it doesn't get bitter if you steep it a long time. It just gets stronger. It doesn't have that acidic edge that tea can have. It has been used in traditional African medicine since before recorded history.

Robin

Comment

Hi, Paleobird! Just checking out your journal! Always inspires me to see how older gals (tho not as old as me) do this! Young pups hiking and and running around drinking wheatgrass juice are a dime a dozen, but does it work for us? And I'm getting......it does!!!

Comment

i have family and friends in SD, so i'll probably be heading their fairly soon.

I think greece might be next year, because it looks like the acroyoga teacher training that i want to take will be there. so, we'll probably do a greece/turkey tour after the training. i would love to hit cyprus, israel, jordan, etc etc, and on down to egypt, but would probably need mroe time than 3 weeks. LOL

Comment

Okay... gotta ask...

Is the wolf cub really a wolf cub/mix? Or is it a term of endearment?

Can I just say, I love that you are 48? I love to see some common sense around here sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by janagram View Post
                    Hi, Paleobird! Just checking out your journal! Always inspires me to see how older gals (tho not as old as me) do this! Young pups hiking and and running around drinking wheatgrass juice are a dime a dozen, but does it work for us? And I'm getting......it does!!!
                    Damn straight it does.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                      i have family and friends in SD, so i'll probably be heading their fairly soon.
                      Cool. Let me know when your plans firm up.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvalab View Post
                        Okay... gotta ask...

Is the wolf cub really a wolf cub/mix? Or is it a term of endearment?
                        My dog started life as a feral mutt that I picked up in the wilds of Baja so he probably is part coyote but not a wolf. Most dogs are part coyote down there. He is an avid hunter unlike some city dogs. I have seen him pull a gopher out of its hole and chomp it right down still kicking. No delicate tummies here. He will also eat human scraps and doesn't care if it is filet mignon or day old pizza crust in the gutter. So he has some wolf-like qualities. He's also a great tracker and can be counted on to know which path to take on the way home from a hike.
                        Last edited by Paleobird; 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Some more pics of the love of my life. He's adorable but not very good at holding still for cameras.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I just invented the yummiest combination. I took a small sized kaboka (sp?) squash and cut a hole out of the top like making a jack o' lantern. Cleaned out the seeds. (They might be good toasted sometime but too hungry to bother tonight) Packed the interior with chopped up onions and a bunch of chopped up spicy Italian sausage then put the lid back in place and baked it. The sausage flavor infused into the squash. You just take the lid off and it makes its own serving container. (Probably would work well with any winter squash like acorn). I am SO stuffed. No snackage tonight.

Breakfast was one of my coconut/ acai/ protein shakes. No lunch needed.

Comment

Wow ! What an amazing adventure you've been on/going on and it doesn't look like it's stopping any time soon!
                              I like your squash idea, i'll have to try that.

p.s. Nothing like a good book!!!

Comment

looks like a lot of fun to keep you busy, that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X