Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo on 2011-01-0.jpg

It's official. The crock pot is one of the greatest inventions EVER.

This may not look too lively but if you could smell it......herbs, garlic, red wine. Must go eat now. Groowwllll. That's my tummy calling.

Comment

• Way to go with heavy things!!! Yeah.

I am also a pullup challenged girl, but I found a pullup bar that can drop down so I can sit on the floor in a plank position and go from there. I have been doing that. Lets you and I do a pullup this year, shall we

That rocks about the Level 3 pushups! I really need to read my PBfitness book.

Yay for a new crockpot!! Your food looks awsome! (lamb is another food I have to learn to eat. Whats the matter with me, that looks great!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Hey Twin Sis,
        I have been and done a bit of elder care too. Can relate all too well to that. My mom's brain tumor about 20 years ago and then with my grandmother about 10 years ago (she made it to 98). Now I just have my Dad and he is in great shape so far especially for being 85. He just put a deck on the front of his house. We are not talking about supervising contractor work. We are talking about Dad out there with the power tools DIY. So he is the one who house sits and takes care of the Wolf Cub when I'm off traveling. There may come a time when he needs some care so I figure that now is a good time for me to scratch the travel itch.

The dehydrator I got was a brand called Good4U, dippy name but it really works well. Most of the cheaper ones have the heat and air flow either coming down from the top or up from below. Either way, if you have multiple trays drying, that doesn't give even flow. Then there is the Excalibur which Mark referenced at Christmas. which has the heat and air flow coming from the back over all the trays evenly. The one I found works like the Excalibur but without the hefty price tag.
        Oh yes, it does sound like know all about the elder care thing. It can be so difficult. I lost my mil 2.5 years ago and my mom last year. My mom was the most difficult because she had ALS. Nasty. A brain tumor sounds pretty bad too. My mil was 88 and she just had all kinds of problems. Right now we have my dad and my fil. My dad is 80 and has parkinsons among numerous other things, but fil is 92 and doing really pretty well. Not as good as your dad. That is awsome that he is still so active and independent! Was it his mother that lived to be 98. You have good genes . It is really nice that you have someone to take care of your pup. We usually take the dog and bird with us. We recently found someone to board the bird with, but my doggie has a brain tumor so we have to take him to give him his meds.

Thanks for the dehydrator tips! hmmm, I have a birthday not to far in the distant future, ha ha. I will have to remember this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roberta View Post
          Way to go with heavy things!!! Yeah.

I am also a pullup challenged girl, but I found a pullup bar that can drop down so I can sit on the floor in a plank position and go from there. I have been doing that. Lets you and I do a pullup this year, shall we

That rocks about the Level 3 pushups! I really need to read my PBfitness book.

Yay for a new crockpot!! Your food looks awsome! (lamb is another food I have to learn to eat. Whats the matter with me, that looks great!)
          Re the Great American Pullup Challenge. You're on. Anybody else want in? I know pull ups are something where it is easy to say, "Oh I'll never be able to do one of those", and just give up before you start.

Lamb is so Nommy. My mother never cooked it but I learned about it from my Jewish grannie BFF. The secret is this, There is no such thing as too much garlic.

Comment

• Tuesday daily wrap:
            Other than wheatgrass juice & tea
            IF ed all day til dinner shown above lamb, veggie stew
            88% dark chocolate treat for evening snack

Kicked butt on the LHT workout

I am feeling like a classic sports car that has just been given a tankful of premium gasoline after having run on the low octane stuff for way too long. My engine is just hummmmmming along. I think I like ketosis.

G'night everybody

Comment

• pull ups are fun. you will get there sooner than you think, seriously. one day, i was just able to do them. it was very strange.

Comment

• I want to join the great pullup challenge of 2011, too! It's ON.

Have you always been a person who naturally eats lightly until dinner, or fasting during the day pretty new for you? I read all these posts on the forums about people IFing until dinner and feeling amazing, but I just feel crappy when I do it, low energy and really distracting hunger pangs. I'm not sure why -- if it's something I could tweak, or if I'm just not set up to work well on IFing.
                My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                  I want to join the great pullup challenge of 2011, too! It's ON.

Have you always been a person who naturally eats lightly until dinner, or fasting during the day pretty new for you? I read all these posts on the forums about people IFing until dinner and feeling amazing, but I just feel crappy when I do it, low energy and really distracting hunger pangs. I'm not sure why -- if it's something I could tweak, or if I'm just not set up to work well on IFing.
                  My typical day used to start out with a bowl of Kashi w/ non fat milk and a big glass of OJ. Massive quantities of sugar but I thought I was being healthy. I have had carbs pretty well out of my system for over a year before I went primal so I think that helps. When you are still detoxing from carbs your blood sugar is not stabilized and that makes IFing torturous. Now it just seems normal, not even really an effort. I've been keeping my carbs under 50/day and staying in ketosis. I think this really makes IFing easier. The body is already burning fat and not looking for carbs to burn. Also the good fats in the PB plan really turn off the hunger alarm bells and that helps too. Try a spoonful of coconut oil just like a lollipop for a snack.

OK that makes three for the Great American Pull Up Challenge of 2011. Anyone Else?

Comment

• Roberta, Ellie, and anyone else interested,

I started a thread on the Odds and Ends section entitled the Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 (didn't want to cut out our non US friends). So now it is official and public, No backing out. Or flaking out. Myself included.

Comment

• Yesterday was kind of a weird day. I had some minor outpatient surgery in the afternoon (some of the finishing touches on my breast reconstruction) so I couldn't eat all day (because of the anesthesia) until I got home last night. Then I tried to take a pain pill on an empty stomach and got really sick (not pretty). My experience of chemo told me that the thing to calm an agitated tummy like that is bread so I went un-primal and had a bagel. It worked and I was able to keep a pain pill down and get to sleep. Felt a little groggy this morning (not to mention a bit sore in some tender places) but I am on the mend. Had some broth about noon and some egg salad for dinner.
                      Obviously nada in the way of exercise.

Tinkering around on the MDA forum today has been a pleasant distraction from the fact that my boobs HURT. (sorry if this is TMI)
                      Last edited by Paleobird; 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Ouch, I hope you feel better soon!
                        My Primal Journal

Comment

• I am not even sure what the challenge is. Time to research. I need to get motivated to move. I want to be covering all the primal laws.
                          Sorry you had to spend the day being tortured. Hopefully, it will be a fast recovery

Rhoda
                          Keep it Simple Silly...Go Caveman

My Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                            Ouch, I hope you feel better soon!
                            Thank you Ellie. This is so minor compared to the other surgeries I've been through so I shouldn't really be whining but it just kind of brings it all back.

Comment

• Originally posted by IntrinsicArt View Post
                              I am not even sure what the challenge is. Time to research. I need to get motivated to move. I want to be covering all the primal laws.
                              Sorry you had to spend the day being tortured. Hopefully, it will be a fast recovery

Rhoda
                              Hi Rhoda,
                              The Challenge is only for people who have yet to do an un-assissted pull-up. We are going to cheer each other on and get it done this year.

Thanks for the sympathy. I should be better in a couple of days.

Comment

• I got a very gracious email back from Mark regarding my question about if I could bring the Wolf Cub with me to Primalcon. He said as long as my dog likes good healthy Primal living, plenty of meat and exercise he is welcome along with me. Sine the pup is a service animal, it's no problem with the hotel. I have taken him with me to two different week-long retreats held by The Nature Conservancy and both times he has quickly become the mascot of the group and the recipient of lots of lovin' and table scraps. He is trained as a service animal so he doesn't bark at night or chew furniture or anything like that. I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier but, in addition to being the world's cutest dog IMHO, he is also a medical alert service animal. I only have seizures very rarely these days but, when I do, he knows when one is coming on before I do and can give me a heads up. He definitely earns his organic, free range dog food.

So I just got signed up for Primalcon 2011. I am so stoked. This is going to be a blast.

Comment

Working...
                                X