No announcement yet.

Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seem to have developed a mustache of tiny pustules, I'm guessing from not washing my Nalgene bottle properly.. Also developing a couple more lines of scarred pores on my right inner cheek, where I had no pimples or anything. NO idea what causes those, unless my skin is still screwed-up from Retin-A, as I only use emu and castor oil now and neither of those are irritating. Or maybe it's some sort of mineral/vitamin deficiency- copper or calcium, perhaps. Outer cheeks are wonderfully smooth, though!

Hands and feet still freezing. Waiting for my doc to order the next round of bloodwork.

I'm proud of myself for going out on my own and having an awesome time last night. I didn't really talk to anyone, but I felt comfortable there and loved the bands who played. The performances were phenomenal, and the tiny lounge was a great performance space. Next time I'll gather up the courage to talk to someone; I think I'll be going back there often.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

Acne 'stache morphed into acne beard overnight; about 6-7 small pustules on my chin now. WHAT. I've been eating a lot of goat cheese, so maybe that's to blame. Just started using a new bottle of emu oil today; the other one was about a year old and probably bad by now, so I'm guessing this new one will be better. Aside from minor breakouts, skin feels healthy and smooth right now.

Hair seems healthier since I got it cut; shinier and not falling out as much. Improvement!

I took digestive enzymes with dinner last night, and my typical gurgling seemed to be much quieter. I'll be trying them again for a little bit to see if they help now that my diet is good; certainly don't think it'll hurt to give them another shot.

Doc ordered thyroid tests and B12 per my request. I'll be getting those done tomorrow.

Only working 8 hours this week due to the fact that my manager hired way too many people and still can't figure out why everyone complains about their lack of hours. Time to look for a new job, pronto! Thankfully, I already paid off my medical bills and my student loans for this month. I'm not sure whether I should be looking for another easy job while I finish getting my health straightened out, or if I should try to figure out what I want to do FO' REALZ to make a living at this point.
      Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM.
      Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

I think the random scarring is due to my skin still being sensitive from the 6 months of tretinoin use. I checked my old Acne.org log and remembered that I got the first of this scarring a few weeks after I began using tretinoin. I'm glad I gave the med a shot to see if it would help my existing scarring and acne, but I really wish I didn't have the aftermath of random scarring to deal with. It makes me feel crazy.

It's funny because I had 3 derm visits during that 6 month time period; my bus didn't show up for the first one, so I had to hitch-hike there, my car battery died 15 mins before the second one so I had to borrow someone's car and was late again, and after my third one my insurance decided it wasn't going to cover my med. It almost seemed like the universe didn't want me to go to the derm.

Felt really bloated and crampy after dinner last night, even with enzymes. Had two chicken drumsticks, collards, zucchini, coconut oil. No idea what the cause was.

Looking into different farmer's markets and organizations to try to find a job. After I read about Polyface Farms in "The Omnivore's Dilemma," I realized that I probably want to do something involving sustainable agriculture instead of nutrition. I'm not sure what I can do with a background in journalism and photography, but I'll figure something out. I'm also starting to think I'd enjoy an "active" outdoorsy job way more than a desk job.
        Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 01-11-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Oh, goat cheese, why you gotta do this to me? Worst breakout in a long time on my chin and one on my left jawline, along with some on my cheeks and forehead. Mostly pustules. It's gotta be that freakin' cheese, which sucks because it is delicious with blueberries. I thought I might be OK with goat dairy, but apparently not! It's rare that I can figure out that my skin is reacting to a food, but goat cheese is the only "new" thing I've eaten before this breakout so I know it's the cause, even though I had a mere tablespoon or so for a few days. Oh well!

I've decided that as soon as I get some money I'm gonna see a "psychodermatologist" who is apparently Hot Shit in his field and happens to work in Boston. I have three main health issues: digestion, thyroid, acne. I think they all are somehow tied into the chronic anxiety I've experienced since high school, and I hope this guy will help me figure out what's up.

Twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the results of the thyroid, B12 and parasite tests. I really hope my doc will bump up my Armour dosage, because it did help for a bit.

Made plans with my best friends from high school for the weekend, yay! I haven't seen them in ages. Also gonna try to get together with my college friend/roomie. Baaaby steps back into having a social life.

I really need to get more active...think I'll be doing a lot of shoveling today!

Comment

It's a shame that goat cheese doesn't seem to agree with you - not being able to eat foods you like is always annoying. Good luck with all your goals!

Comment

@ Enamel: Hey there, thanks for stopping by! Having to avoid certain foods does suck, but I just find other things to enjoy instead. Don't like dwelling on what I'm missing out on!

------

I spent only an hour and a half shoveling yesterday, and today I have blisters on my hands and kinda feel like I got hit by a truck. Man, I'm getting soft.

Made some kale chips, and even my super-picky mom liked them! I'm gonna have to make them more often.

I'm planning on switching some of my supplements around. I want to try calcium and borage oil for my skin, and am iffy about continuing zinc due to it possibly causing copper deficiency. What I already take: 200 mcg Selenium (thyroid and skin), 400 mg Magnesium (anxiety, digestion, skin), 5000 IU Vitamin D every other day (overall health), 27 mg Iron (low ferritin), 30 mg Opti-Zinc (skin and thyroid). To that I'll add 500-1000mg Calcium Citrate and 1000 mg Borage oil to see if my skin toughens up and becomes more hydrated and less irritated. I feel like a walking pharmacy taking 6 supps. a day plus my thyroid med, but if it helps my body to heal then so be it. I won't have to take them forever, anyway.

Here's a gross close-up picture of what's going on with my skin that is kindasorta traumatizing me because these ice pick scars/scarred pores come out of nowhere:
              http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2gy7kg3&s=7
              I thought they'd stop once I stopped the Retin-A, but they haven't let up and I've been off a month now. I get a few of the circular ones daily. I'm thinking I just need to try my best to ignore them and pray that my skin heals, since I have no other ideas on how to stop them and no clue why I'm getting even more now than before. My diet obviously isn't helping much. Honestly, they wouldn't bother me if I didn't have a ton of additional, even worse scarring to contend with. They are the straw that broke the camel's back.

BUT I've decided that whatever happens to my skin and health from here on out, I'm not going to be the type of person who sits around and mopes about it all day. I'm going to try to make the best of things no matter what, because I could possibly end up going in circles with these health issues for years and miss out on life by dwelling on them. I know that there are a LOT of more difficult things that I could be dealing with, but I can't help but think that when I overcome all of this stuff and become healthy both physically and emotionally, I'm gonna be one tough muthafugga, haha.
              Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 01-13-2011, 11:43 AM.

Comment

KIND bars, you are my kryptonite.

Caved in and used Finacea on my chin last night. Apparently it's normal for Finacea to make your skin feel like it's being bitten by hundreds of angry ants covered in poison ivy. Holy CRAP. But the itching and burning went away after about 20 mins, and my skin was surprisingly not red. I'm just using it on my chin and as a spot treatment for now to see how my skin takes to it.

Bought a new pair of jeans last night. I'm still the same size, but I definitely fill them out better. Oh hai thur, booty!

I finally get to work today, wooo! I've been going stir-crazy due to my lack of hours this week. Y'think I would've been smart and taken that opportunity to go job hunting, but noooo. I've been in a hypo fog and it's seriously hard to focus on anything, so I've kind of just been reading and watching a lot of the BBC "Life" series (SO AMAZING). Can't wait 'til it's warm out so I can get more active outside again; I've never been a huge fan of winter sports, and I think I need cross-country skis just to get out of my driveway right now.
                Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Your facial marking don't look that bad. They just look like redder pores and they are pretty small. That's one hell of a closeup image, I doubt most people can see that well. The gut could be causing skin problems as well, mine does. Echzema (sic) around joints and near the belt. I'm in the same isolated state, since I lost my job and have been snowed in recently. Don't feel like doing much but sleep and make food. But have to do some job hunting.
                  My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Heyo strom!

Thanks for the reassurance about my skin. I know that's an extreme close up and most people don't see the marks like that. It's just kind of scary to see them come out of nowhere!

It amazes me how interconnected the skin and the gut are. It seems like the key to solving many skin (and immune) issues is patching up the gut...

Sorry to hear about your job loss; I know how tough the market is right now. Hell, I'm working at a bakery and not doing anything relevant to the college degree I sank several thousands of dollars in debt to get. What field are you looking for a job in?

--

Swing dancing classes got canceled. I'm bumming because I was really looking forward to those! I think I'm gonna use the money I was planning on spending on those lessons to schedule an appointment with the psychologist in Boston. I feel weird about seeking therapy because I tend to try to tough things out on my own, but I've recently realized that I do need some help with these issues, so I might as well turn to a pro.

Skin is pretty crazy; my chin keeps getting new inflamed papules, and my cheeks have some as well. Lots of tiny whiteheads, too. I'm guessing this is due to PMS and the Retin-A wearing off fully, and am hoping the Finacea will help calm things down a bit.

Eating butter again after about a week without it. I luvs me some Kerrygold.

Picking up some borage oil and calcium today, then probably going to bundle up and go for a walk, and try to figure out another way to get active. There's a YMCA right down the street from me, and they may have some classes I can take. Thinking about kickboxing, or capoeira again. Dunno if I could handle capoeira right now, though; I could barely keep up when I was healthier. It is INTENSE.

Comment

Going out for tea with my friend from college, then drinks with my two best friends from high school. Maybe also picking up a Magic: The Gathering deck while I'm out so I can try playing with strangers on Wednesday. I miss that game.

Picked up some macadamia nuts, and they don't seem to be upsetting my stomach this time around. Fickle gut is so durn fickle! Also starting taking some borage oil, and am waiting for calcium supp. to come in the mail (WAY too expensive at Whole Foods...). Cutting back Zinc to every other day.

Wondering if what's going on with my skin is some sort of folliculitis instead of acne. Most of the pustules are the same size, and they seem to come in clusters with inflammation around them. Could explain why I don't have much luck with a lot of different topicals. Despite this, I'm still going to give Finacea a try for about a month before I see a derm again. There's not much else she could prescribe me that I haven't tried already.

To be honest, I haven't felt this down in a long time. I'm hoping it's PMS + under-medicated thyroid and not the start of another bout of depression. I just want to curl up and sleep the day away, but I'm forcing myself to keep my plans with my friends and will try my best to be cheery.

Comment

I majored in animation. But would like to get a job doing 3d digital sculpture for either movies or games. Last job was a graphics design intern for a medical company.

Exercise helps with depression bouts. Its just getting motivated to go out is the hard part.
                        My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

@ strom: That's really awesome! How long have you been doing animation for? What's your software of choice? I took a brief course in using Maya several years ago, and did some basic modeling stuff in Blender for a bit. Stuff was WAY over my head, but lots of fun to play around with. Seems like an interesting career choice.

Definitely easier said than done with the exercise, especially since my usual walking routes are still under about 2ft of snow right now, haha. But it really does help.
                          ----------

Had a great time with friends yesterday, and so SO glad I went out. It's funny how much my time with the college friend differed from the time with my high school buddies. The college friend is more mature on several levels, and we talked about a whole range of stuff that I really couldn't talk about with the other friends. So with the high school friends, I basically just shot the shit about anime, comics, movies, and other nerdy stuff for three hours while sippin' some red wine. Also waited until 9 to get 1/2 off bar food (yes, I am -that person-); ended up getting a decent burger (no bun) with onions, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, a heaping serving of green beans for 3.99.

Noticed before bed that the weird recurring hive I get on my left cheekbone popped up again. Gotta be some allergy that causes it, though I have no idea why only one pops up and it's always in the exact same place. The patch of dermatitis on the back of my right ankle flared up and itched, too. I think that may be due to having ingested gluten unknowingly, as it used to flare up a lot when I ate wheat products.

I had my bloodwork done on Tuesday and still haven't heard from my doc about the results. If he doesn't get back to me by tomorrow I'm gonna shoot him an e-mail. I hope that doesn't seem completely impatient!

Should be getting the book about fermentation I ordered in the mail soon. Can't wait to make some stuff and freak my family out.

Comment

Hey there,

Sounds like you and I both have a bunch of STUFF we're trying to deal with. But it sounds like you're really making some great efforts and progress towards conquering your issues, so way to go. I'm particuarly interested to see other people on the board with adrenal fatigue. That's an issue I have, but haven't really paid attention to/dealt with properly. It looks like you've had it tested and medically confrimed and everything, though. Seems to me that Primal should help- you'll get lots of protein and I know that carbs/sugar are SOOO hard on your adrenals anyway.

I remember reading somewhere that fermented foods are easier on your digestion in general, so that book sounds neat.

It's cool to see another animation/anime fan here as well. Geek girls represent!
                            Last edited by CandylandCanary; 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM.
                            Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                            "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                            "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                            -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

@ CandylandCanary: 'Ello there! I'm definitely making some progress (knowing what's wrong is most of the battle). I don't think I have adrenal fatigue, actually; I fall asleep easily around 11pm-ish, wake up around 8am each day with no trouble. Can't stand salty foods and don't really crave sweets at all. I'm not dead-tired anymore, just depressed and anxious but that's probably due to my low T3. Hypothyroid and adrenal symptoms overlap a lot!

My test did show high cortisol which can eventually lead to adrenal fatigue, but luckily I don't think I'm dealing with that right now. I'd recommend getting tested (4 pt. salivary cortisol) if you haven't already; it clears a lot of things up.

Yeah, fermented foods are great for digestion if they're made/used properly. I've had some kimchi and kefir from Whole Foods that upset my stomach, probably because I ate too much at once or that they weren't fermented long enough.

Haha, geek girls FTW!
                              --

...aaand the freaky-deaky cheekbone hive strikes again! I think I've narrowed down the possible causes for it, though: 1) ibuprofen, 2) almonds, or 3) peppers. I've noticed it happening more than once soon after I'd consumed one of these things. I had all three of these things this morning, so God knows what it was. My bets are on the peppers...So in addition to the fat red nodule that popped up in my T-zone yesterday, I have a huge puffy hive hanging out on my face. Good thing I'm not working today! I think I should probably get an allergy panel done because this thing is really annoying.

Dropping Finacea and going back to oil-cleansing 1x/day for now. You know your skin is sensitive when a rosacea med burns the crap out of if. The large nodule in my T-zone worries me because I really DO NOT WANT a pitted scar right between my eyes, but all I can do at this point is ice it, use neosporin and ibuprofen, and pray...it will still almost certainly leave a scar, but hopefully this will minimize the damage.

I've been procrastinating on setting up an appointment with the psychologist because I have to deal with my insurance company and all the pre-approval bs and I am foggy and confused. But I know I need to do this, and soon, before I go completely crazy.

E-mailed my doc yesterday about my test results, so I should be hearing from him soon.

Comment

Wow, my thyroid test results explain why I feel like a wad of gum stuck to the bottom of a garbage pail right now. My numbers got worse:

TSH 1.46 uIU/mL (0.34-5.60)
                                Free T3 [L] 2.21 pg/mL (2.50-3.90)
                                Free T4 0.64 ng/dL (0.54-1.24)

Vitamin B12 567 pg/mL 180-914

Doc doubled my Armour dosage to 60mg, told me to look out for hyperthyroidism symptoms and check back in a month. I really think the feedback loop thing is going on where my levels will improve for a bit then go hypo again until I reach a good dose, whatever that might be. It could be this new dose, for all I know. At least I'm moving in the right direction now, and my doc is willing to walk me through this based on symptoms. I just wish the process of raising the dose was faster.

Got "Wild Fermentation" in the mail; time to read about mead and sauerkraut!

Comment

Working...
                                X