Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    so i want to try Dr. Terry Wahl's protocol for MS. it's going to be a challenge because i'm lazy and it involves a lot of vegetables (more prep). she recommends 3 cups of greens per day (mentioning only kale, but i'm going to pretend that swiss chard , spinach, and romaine are included); 3 cups of sulfur-veg per day (onions, mushrooms, cruciferous, leeks, garlic), and 3 cups of other veg and berries (make sure to include 3 vibrant colors). the vegetables aren't going to be the hard part;
    She seems awesome. 9 cups just seems to much though. It (almost) precludes meat from the diet, and that seems all kinds of wrong. How much meat do you eat with your veges?

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    i don't want to eat offal, but that's part of the guidelines. eww!! also, i should be eating seaweed at least once a week. i like seaweed, so not a problem. maybe so the iodine comes in daily doses, i'll just eat a little seaweed every morning. the only issue is my concern over radioactive seaweed; not sure if that's such a concern still.
    Offal is awesome! Our favourites are chicken livers (eaten with bacon) and lamb kidneys (eaten with cubed rump steak in a pie like substance). I agree that it's a bit much just by itself, but with a blander meat or avocadoes it's very tasty. (Kids don't like it as much though...).

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    my soil sucks big time. it lacks organic matter and thus tends to clump and not hold water properly. though, the little woodland garden i'm creating under a large tree is in great soil. i have too much crappy soil in the rest of the yard to be able to fix it all at once, but i'm trying to fix it through lazy composting (dig a hole, throw in food scraps). also, someone will be coming one of these days to bring me free, rich junk-free soil. most of that will go in the kids' old sandbox; i promised them a garden last year and still haven't followed through. the rest will be worked in around the yard.
    My wife was big on permaculture a few years ago, and we set up a system of composting (taking in food scraps and lawn clippings) that makes some of the good stuff. It's amazing how much mixing in some sand, some clay and some vegetable matter will do.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• I have never been sure if Dr. Wahls means 9 cups all raw, or cooked.
      Because even 3 cups of whatever leafy green, even packed, doesn't come down to all that much once cooked.

I should be trying to get in more veg... I'm just NEVER really hungry. It's weird. It also makes the prep and cooking of things kind of a drag. I cook and eat only dinner most days. Most of the time I like eating it and even really chow down on the veggies in particular probably eating about 2-3 cups cooked (a bigger pile if it's raw/salady)... plus a normal/large sized portion of meat. You know, plate 2/3 - 3/4 veg pile and some meat. But that's all I really want to eat in a day. And a carby veg like sweet potato only makes it to my plate MAYBE once a week. I think it has something to do with my medication... I wish it would at least inspire my body to chuck some weight, but no... loss is the equivalent of pouring molasses on a cold day. So slow.
      It's not like I'm going to eat because the clock says so, or count calories, or any of those things (because those things make me miserable!) so it is what it is. *shrug*

I'm obviously on the Magic Tylenol today because of yesterdays outing... Back to Dr. Wahls... Cooked or Raw? Who knows.............

And speaking of dinner... I'm supposed to be cooking that now.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• nah, i get more than enough meat in my diet. that's something that i have to watch, because i find that if i don't have enough red meat, within 3 days i end up feeling very fatigued and depressed. i don't measure my meat except by portion of the whole, and i'd say that i put away 6 oz meat at least at every meal, plus random snacks. i could comfortably eat 1/2 lb. in a sitting, but the more i eat, the less there is for the kids. the vegetables are more likely to push out other stuff like nuts, dairy, and faileo treats. although yesterday i proved that i could eat a ton of not-okay stuff and still get in all of my meat and veggies.

your question sparked my curiosity so i'm looking up calories in various vegetables. artichoke hearts look like one of the most calorie-dense vegetables, if you exclude potatoes, at 42 calories per cup; 9 cups would only be 378 calories. then if you add a pound of 85-15 ground beef (975 cal; 112 g protein) you're at 1353 calories for the day. of course the key is variety, but you get my point. if i eat only till satiated, i get more like 1800-2200 calories per day, so there's a little wiggle room (especially if you're eating other cuts of meat, poultry, and fish). and if i eat *only* till satiated, then i lose weight. problem is, food tastes better than skinny feels.

i'll have to try chicken livers. i think i still have a few chickens with gizzards in my freezer; should cook those up this week and then make stock. i usually cook the gizzards in the stock and then serve the boneless portions to the cats, but really i should be eating them myself (doubt the kids would choke 'em down). we gave beef liver a go months ago; the experience involved a lot of bribes, gagging, and laughter and ended with a promise that i'd never expect them to eat it again. hmmm...avocados? one of my favorite snacks is an avocado with salsa and processed meat (sausage, brats, or bacon). never thought to try liver in that combo.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          I have never been sure if Dr. Wahls means 9 cups all raw, or cooked.
          Because even 3 cups of whatever leafy green, even packed, doesn't come down to all that much once cooked.
          good question. i assume "raw" because i would probably not even try if the goal was 9 cups *cooked.* i mean, i cook it, but that's a helluva lot of greens if you're measuring the cooked amount rather than the raw.

I should be trying to get in more veg... I'm just NEVER really hungry. It's weird. It also makes the prep and cooking of things kind of a drag. I cook and eat only dinner most days. Most of the time I like eating it and even really chow down on the veggies in particular probably eating about 2-3 cups cooked (a bigger pile if it's raw/salady)... plus a normal/large sized portion of meat. You know, plate 2/3 - 3/4 veg pile and some meat. But that's all I really want to eat in a day. And a carby veg like sweet potato only makes it to my plate MAYBE once a week. I think it has something to do with my medication... I wish it would at least inspire my body to chuck some weight, but no... loss is the equivalent of pouring molasses on a cold day. So slow.
          It's not like I'm going to eat because the clock says so, or count calories, or any of those things (because those things make me miserable!) so it is what it is. *shrug*

I'm obviously on the Magic Tylenol today because of yesterdays outing... Back to Dr. Wahls... Cooked or Raw? Who knows.............

And speaking of dinner... I'm supposed to be cooking that now.
          prepwork can be rather tedious. i used to love cooking, but the monotony of doing it several times a day, plus budgetary constraints, and being surrounded by critics really zapped the joy out of it. once in a while i order pizza for the kids and then make something a little more complex and yummy for myself. i should be getting dinner ready here, too. happy mother's day!
          my primal journal:

Comment

• i ordered pizza for the kids' dinner and ordered a BAS for myself. this is normally served in a 3 qt. salad bowl at the restaurant; though there's a fair amount of pepperoni, salami, and cheese in addition to the romaine-based salad. i ate 3/4 of it, and i'm saving the rest for later.
            my primal journal:

Comment

• I tried the tapioca flour tortilla shells and while I made a couple too thick (kinda chewy); the wife got the good thin ones. Either way, they were awesome. We going to try little pizzas next time. Thanks for the recipe.
              If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• I need cuddles this morning.
                my primal journal:

Comment

• *snuggles up to Saoirse* I've been needing a hug for about a week. Maybe we can help each other out

I used to think that Mom thought about food too much. Well, after cooking for myself- and knowing that she cooked for six, not one- there's a reason her world seemed to revolve around food . . .
                  http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• i bet your mom felt like she thought about food too much. i know i do. i can barely clean up after one meal before someone complaining that they need more food. then there's all the shopping, cleaning out the fridge, etc. i can definitely see the appeal to eating out all the time or buying premade crap.

thanks for the snuggles.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

• oh gee, thanks for reminding me!!

(when you see weird comments like this, you can safely assume that i was talking to a spambot who has since been deleted)
                      Last edited by Saoirse; 05-27-2012, 10:39 AM.
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• Yeah, she did We would occasionally have "breakfast for dinner" days because she just didn't feel like cooking. I told my cousin about it and she was just floored. Omelets for dinner! No way! We always thought they were good
                        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• I love breakfast for dinner.
                          If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• As resident cook, I always think about what I'm making for dinner and what I need to go buy. Some weeks, I'll come up with a Monday-Friday plan and then just wing the weekend. Other weeks I'll go more day to day, but by early afternoon I have a complete game plan for when I hit the kitchen. My Facebook friends (Facebook, or what I like to call my cooking blog) are always saying how exotic/extravagant our weekday meals are, but I don't agree. Sometimes, but not usually, I have an actual recipe; most of the time, I'm doing a variation of something familiar. I know what I need to prep and get my mise en place rolling. I know what order I need to start cooking to maximize efficiency.

And I know damn well that tomorrow's leftovers will beat the shit out of most people crap-assed SAD lunches. Oh, Smart Ones? Mickey D's? Chinese takeout? Enjoy feeling like a giant zit.

I could use some snuggle time. Did not sleep well last night for some reason and am worthless without a good night's complement of Z's.

Comment

• i'll snuggle all you want if you come be my personal chef!

after some self-reflection, i've come to the conclusion that i've been spending too much time doing lazy stuff and not enough time doing important stuff, ie. taking the kids places and also house cleaning. i'm also deciding to commit to just 2 weeks of clean-eating. mostly just veg, fruit, and meat, with none of this stupid boredom eating. 2 weeks isn't long, right? exceptions will be the occasional bit of decaf with cream, and little guy's birthday cake when that happens.
                              Last edited by Saoirse; 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

• I've always thought there was something extra fun about snuggling in the kitchen. I may have inherited my Mom's food obsession?

You can totally do two weeks. And I bet that'll make the following two weeks even easier if you choose to add them

Yeah, that cleaning thing. *sigh* Fortunately, I'm moving soon, so that makes it easier to say "am I going to use this SOON?" No- then trash/recycling.

Comment

Working...
                                X