No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cauliflower curry for breakfast, with jasmine green tea. mmmm.... i need more psuedo-indian recipes.
    and again for lunch, each time with chicken.

Himalayan beef (thinly sliced beef braised in ginger, garlic, and onion, and then i added cinnamon, chili powder, turmeric, cardamom, coriander, and cumin) with a side of broccoli and a side of carrots for dinner. this recipe came from a cookbook called "the natural health cookbook." it's actually a pretty decent cookbook, except that it promotes vegetarianism and low-fat cooking. HOWEVER, all of the recipes are from scratch, so it's very easy to omit or substitute foods. the Himalayan beef was originally Himalayan lentils. *snicker*

i'm sick of entering my food intake on fitday. it's just too much work unless i'm eating pretty plain foods.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

After only eating a few bites of fried banana and some green tea for breakfast, then scrambled eggs for lunch, i was pretty hungry by the time dinner rolled around. BAS, meet the BAH! these were not the run-of-the-mill hamburgers. i started with local, grass-fed ground beef and added butter, bacon fat, and a few spices. then, i stuffed the patties with blue cheese and fried crimini mushrooms. after cooking (too bad the grill doesn't function in this cold), i laid the burger on a huge bed of baby greens and topped it with more fried mushrooms, fried onions, and bacon! oh it was good. hubby felt a little cruddy after eating "all that fat", but i think the fact that he had his between two pieces of bread had something to do with it.
      my primal journal:

Comment

wow, a really low day. not counted are: several mugs of tea (unsweetened), a small handful of pecans, 5-10 unsweetened tart dried cherries, and a grainfree raw food bar with 15 g carbs (sweetened with mashed banana). i will have to eat more protein tomorrow.

1,282 cal
        116.4 g fat
        34.6 g carbs
        37.6 g protein
        my primal journal:

Comment

4 consecutive pushups!! man, i wonder how many i could be doing now if i had been working on it consistently. i'm finding the bodyweight progressions to be boring.
          my primal journal:

Comment

I'm impressed by the push-ups! Awesome. Gotta work on that as soon as I'm allowed.

How's your girl doing, all better by now I hope?

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
            i know, a bunch of boring numbers. but it helps me stay intentional about my food choices throughout the day.
            I feel the same way; that's why I'm still logging over at SparkPeople even though the Primal Leap workbook suggests just doing it for a few days in a row. I'm using it to keep me alert to what I'm eating and also to plan ahead for my meals. Somehow it helps me to know "Well later today I'm gonna have my yummy salad and my shrimp" and then I don't feel anxious about food at all. Or I can deliberately rebudget / plan for going out to dinner or whatever.
            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
              I'm impressed by the push-ups! Awesome. Gotta work on that as soon as I'm allowed.

How's your girl doing, all better by now I hope?

I feel the same way; that's why I'm still logging over at SparkPeople even though the Primal Leap workbook suggests just doing it for a few days in a row. I'm using it to keep me alert to what I'm eating and also to plan ahead for my meals. Somehow it helps me to know "Well later today I'm gonna have my yummy salad and my shrimp" and then I don't feel anxious about food at all. Or I can deliberately rebudget / plan for going out to dinner or whatever.
              oh yes, she's better. though she was in bed for at least 5 days, didn't eat for maybe 3. she had me worried. though it was a respiratory infection, the rest of us escaped unharmed. it's a very strange strain (this happened to some of my friends as well- one or two people in the house were very sick while the rest seemed to be uninfected).

i'm thinking of switching from fitday to sparkpeople or cron-o-meter. have you tried cron-o-meter?
              my primal journal:

Comment

oops, had an accidental cheat today. hubby suggested we eat out ("you look hungry, do you wanna go out?") i wasn't actually hungry, but of course i was going to jump on that! anyway, we went to Qdoba and i ordered a naked taco salad. said salad had romaine lettuce, mild pico de gallo (i actually prefer a medium, but the med has corn in it), sour cream, cheese, i ordered a side of grilled veggies to put on top, and some grilled chicken. as i was eating i discovered there were corn and beans in my salad!! argh!! when did that slip in there? next time i'll have to warn them first. anyway, there was maybe only 1/4 c total of the corn and black beans.

i did some bodyweight exercises today- mostly the usual, but i added in some others as they came to my mind. i ended with a little dolphin pose. for "dessert" i had a bit of coconut cream mixed with cardamom and topped with a few carmelized banana slices, and a mug of ginger lemon herbal tea. sounds divine, but wasn't that great. :/ and WOOHOO!! my mp3 player came in the mail. immediately on: pentangle, dubliners, a little incubus, fairport convention, and a few others.

in other news, my little girl always asks for her older brother's chicken skin. i feel really lucky that my mother raised me to not be afraid of fat.
                my primal journal:

Comment

I haven't tried cron-o-meter, but I like sparkpeople a LOT better than fitday. Some pros of sparkpeople:
                  • It has more foods and you can see foods others have entered, too. So if I put in a food for us, my husband can see it on his, etc. Of course you do have to be a bit cautious using foods others have entered -- it's useless if they just entered it as "one serving" since you have no idea how much that is in their mind...
                  • You can have food groupings for things regularly eaten together, like a salad or scrambled eggs ingredients. Or assemble an official recipe over on sparkrecipes and use that.
                  • You can change your daily goals for carb/fat/protein to match an actual primal plan.
                  • I also like their iPad/iPhone apps.

RE: cheating, at least corn is gluten-free? But beans, urgh. And if you were knowingly going to eat corn, you'd have been better served getting the medium than the mild, eh?

Eek, I am glad you mentioned dessert -- I have a coconut/milk/vanilla/whey shake sitting in the freezer firming up! Gotta grab it before it becomes an ice block!
                  Last edited by Jenny; 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM.
                  "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                    I haven't tried cron-o-meter, but I like sparkpeople a LOT better than fitday. Some pros of sparkpeople:
                    • It has more foods and you can see foods others have entered, too. So if I put in a food for us, my husband can see it on his, etc. Of course you do have to be a bit cautious using foods others have entered -- it's useless if they just entered it as "one serving" since you have no idea how much that is in their mind...
                    • You can have food groupings for things regularly eaten together, like a salad or scrambled eggs ingredients. Or assemble an official recipe over on sparkrecipes and use that.
                    • You can change your daily goals for carb/fat/protein to match an actual primal plan.
                    • I also like their iPad/iPhone apps.

RE: cheating, at least corn is gluten-free? But beans, urgh. And if you were knowingly going to eat corn, you'd have been better served getting the medium than the mild, eh?

Eek, I am glad you mentioned dessert -- I have a coconut/milk/vanilla/whey shake sitting in the freezer firming up! Gotta grab it before it becomes an ice block!
                    ooo i like those options. it's ridiculous how much easier it is to find highly processed junk on fitday than it is to find single ingredients.

I just joined sparkpeople. my username is saoirse7.
                    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

oops, went way over carbs. i drank an entire can of young coconut juice (16 oz), and had maple syrup in my vodka/lime, that was on top of the 3/4 pt. of tomatoes and lots of other veggies. *shrug* almost all of that is nourishing food.

Totals:
                      2,481 cal
                      126g carbs (25 g fiber)
                      151 g fat
                      132 g fat
                      my primal journal:

Comment

wow, crazy days. saturday i started to track my food intake, but stopped in the middle of the day as i had a paleo-versary to go to. on the way to the party, i slid on some ice (while driving S-L-O-W-L-Y down a steep, icy hill) and landed my car horizontally in someone's yard, which was lower than the street. my passenger side tires were on the top of the retaining wall at street level, and my driver's side tires were on the yard around 4 ft. below street level. yes, i had all three children with me. amazingly, no one was hurt, there was no damage to our car, and the whole fiasco cost only around $100 for towing and lost food, as well as a great deal of worrying and hassle on the part of myself, family, and friends. my friend's truck was damaged in the effort to get my car out, as another truck came speeding down the hill, hit my friend's truck, and then hit the abandoned cement house with a great deal of force.

other than getting my car back (the police chased everyone away saturday night for fear that someone might get hurt, so my car stayed in that yard overnight), sunday was pretty uneventful. we had a quiet day at home.

monday i had a board meeting at 4, and around 5:30 i received several calls from my dad and brother. apparently, my aunt's house was on fire. i stayed with her for several hours in the hospital (no burns, just a little smoke inhalation). her dog is okay, but kitties didn't make it. her house is uninhabitable. oy.
                        my primal journal:

Comment

... and no damage to the car? Dang. Wow. And... jeez, that sounds like quite a lovely hill. I wonder how many cars have ended up in that same yard?

Car events, house fires... sounds like they all went spookily well, actually. Er. Except for the cats. Poor cats.

Comment

woosh! that's some stress!

i do hope that everything gets grounded soon. i know it's tough when a place burns down and is uninhabitable. i would go to her community and ask for things like: gift cards to clothing stores, shoe stores, uniform stores (if she's a nurse or whatever might require a uniform), the pet stores where she might need to get things for her dog, etc. we did this for our neighbors (back in the US, n the townhomes, three were completely burned). they had kids, too, so we did a lot of stuff at the stationary stores to get school supplies, and even toy stores so that they could get some of their favorite things. they pooled those together to get the gaming system they wanted. smart kids. we also did grocery store, restaurant, drug store, and beauty salon gift certs. just anything that might make her life a bit easier, you know?

but anyway, it can help, and people are generous. also, talk to the salvation army and red cross, they often have great resources for temp housing, getting furnishings and basic necessities, and so on.

Comment

Yeah, crazy days. hopefully that's the last of it.

zoebird- thanks for the tips. i'll keep it in mind. the red cross has been very helpful, and a red cross responder actually happened to be less than a block away when the fire broke out, so he was one of the first people on the scene. she's staying with my dad (her little brother) right now, and has another place available as well. probably the biggest loss to her will be her paintings, canvasses and painting supplies. :/ hopefully insurance will take care of the supplies.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

i'm not losing weight anymore. it's time to become more serious about reducing carbs. i have been probably staying within 90-120s, but i should stay much lower than that.

i've reached my goal of 5 consecutive pushups! it's only 25 days late.
                                my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X